Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

650 ML bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Deep black with a one finger brown head that dissipates within minutes

S - Coffee, which gets more prevelant as it warms, some bitter chocolate, plenty of roasted malt and a strange sweetness which is almost like sweet green raisins or caramelized sugar. Not getting much vanilla.

M - Smooth, creamy with a nice bit of carbonation. This beer really finishes dry thanks to the espresso and/or alcohol. A nice bit of heat as it warms.

T - A monstrous flavor of espresso hits you off the bat with some dark chocolate and a little sweetness. There is definetely some alcohol in this one but its not too aggressive. As it warms, the roastiness of the coffee and malt really shine through. A very nice sipper.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. With so many big flavors, this one is really well balanced. This is definitely one of my favorites ever but I'll split it with someone else next time. Should really smooth out with a little cellar time.

jdflyer06, May 02, 2009
4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 650ML bottle into my Sam Adams 16oz bulb pint glass.

A: Pours a very deep, murky brown almost black; sloshes into the glass - thick, almost sludge like. Small, khaki head forms on top but is quickly pulled back down into the body of this stout. Completely opaque - looks ominous in the glass. Very fine, khaki colored lacing clings to the glass.

S: Really picking up a heavy espresso note (Denver's Pablo's espresso), followed by bitter dark chocolate. Huge roasted notes. I can also pick up a faint sweetness that reminds me of vanilla beans and maybe just the slightest hint of burnt/caramelized sugar. Very aromatic.

T: Huge espresso flavor, roasted coffee beans and bitter dark chocolate - think Ghirardelli baking chocolate - hit the palate in an overpowering wave of flavor. Mid sip, I really start to pick up a distinct, earthy oak note, followed by a mellowing vanilla flavor. Then just as you think the flavor profile is receding, the espresso notes come back for a second go around, along with a milder, milk chocolate/hot chocolate hint. The finish leaves a lingering roasted coffee flavor with some residual chocolaty sweetness. Very pleasant even as the espresso note dominates the palate and keeps all the other wonderful flavors playing second fiddle.

M: Low carbonation. Thick, chewy mouthfeel - very smooth. This beer coats the class and it also coats the mouth and throat on the way down. Very pleasing and exactly what I expect from a big stout.

D: At 9.5% ABV I know the booze is in there, but at the start of this glass, its really not hitting me very hard. As the glass warms, I begin to get a warming sensation deep within, but I never really get a spicy, peppery alcohol flavor - its hidden quite easily by the huge espresso flavor. Still, this beer is a sipper, just because it is deceivingly strong.

Overall, I am very impressed. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the original Yeti, but since I am a fan of coffee-flavored stouts (FBS, KBS, etc.), the Espresso OAY seemed like a no brainer for me. I'm very glad I picked up this beer. This is an outstanding imperial stout, and one of the best coffee-themed beers I've ever tasted. Savory, decadent and totally worth the price of admission. I would really like to grab another bottle of this to age for the future, as well as trying the original Yeti and it's Oak-aged variant for comparison.

Buschyfor3, Apr 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

22oz bottle into a large snifter split with a friend. I guess this is about a month or two old.

A- Espresso Yeti is a dark brown color coming out of the bomber. Once in the glass it has a dark thick black look to it. On top sat a nice espresso colored tan head, how appropriate. A nice while before the head died down and some lace remained on the glass.

S- Like expected this smells like Yeti with espresso coffee added, there that was not to hard. In more detail oak from the barrel leading to the obvious vanilla that comes from it. Some roast from the malts and maybe some smoke. Chocolate is there as well but not as prevelant as the espresso.

T- Not the greatest coffee beer that I have had but this is damn fine stuff. This is probably due to it being another variation in the oak aged series and not a new recipe all together. Either way espresso shoots out at you with rich tastes in that variety. Chocolate and vanilla as well blending nicely plus an oak barrel backbone. What's not to love?

M- Full and luxurious. This one is a small step down from full bodied with the carbonation to show. This one is still a bit green so some small aging time should do the trick as this one goes down a bit hot, distracting from the overall goodness this has to offer. Also getting some bitterness towards the end from the fresh hops, no biggie smalls.

D- Im a sucker for coffee beers so this one was a no brainer for me. Either way I feel this could benefit from a little aging as the flavors are not all quite together presently. A bit high in alcohol to but what are you going to do, it's a imperial stout for pete's sake.

BARFLYB, Apr 30, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Gotta love Great Divide and the massive improvement they made with their label change. The new ones are infinitely more classic.

Pours a totally impenetrable black with a large and fluffy tan ice cream head that leaves good lacing.

Nose is intoxicating. A beautiful blend of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and hidden amongst them lie some hop bitterness. Coffee flavor is solidly there, but judging by many coffee releases lately, suprisingly mild in the nose. I like it.

Flavor is fairly suprising actually. I was expecting an espresso hand grenade in my mouth, as is the growing trend these days, but its actually very nicely blended. Taste is begins with a gentle ride of roasted malt and profuse hops. The hop profile in this beer is absolutely beautiful, up there with the likes of Old Rasputin. Defenitely in the "hoppy" imperial stouts category. The espresso addition is fairly mild, and works perfectly with this beer. Big props for keeping a leash on it, instead of dumping assloads of espresso in and calling it good. A thin chocolate profile is in here too, but man, what a hoppy impy stout. Awesome. I would like just a touch more roastiness to make this one legendary. A crisp hoppy finish with lingering bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is right where it should be in a beer of this kind. I would like it to be a touch more viscous and have a little bit more roast, but until that roast is present, i like the viscosity where it is. It fits well.

Drinkability is pretty solid. Right in the middle of today's Impy stout abv range, and drinks as it should. The savageness of the beer would make more than one a chore, but most good imperial stouts are that way for me.

Overall a very enjoyable beer, and defenitely my favorite of the "yetis". I love the bold hoppiness, and the subtelty of the espresso. Really nice to see a coffee infused beer that doesn't taste like a bag of beans. A great beer, and a must try from GD. Good work fellas!

AKBelgianBeast, Apr 30, 2009

A - Poured a black color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of roasted malt that gives off lots of coffee scents

T - As the name implies its follows the nose with lots of coffee flavor and some chocolate comes out as well

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This was a petty good beer a little too strong in the abv for a breakfast beer but if thats how you roll it would be good with breakfast on the weekend worth trying sometime

armock, Apr 29, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

I originally bought this beer for my cousin as he is a lover of imperial stouts and my beer store told me this one was a keeper and I trust so 1 is in the cellar now. So my review is as so...

A: black and rich, this beer could drown out the lights of heaven. Originally about .25" head but after a severe pour, no tilting, I finally find my head!(1.5" of beautiful chocolate color)

S: Definite coffee and roasted malts, they just have no way to even try to hide, espresso stout was the name and coffee wasn't an option. Upon being a bomber and a half in I find more fruitiness along the lines of dark tree fruit; ie... black cherry, plum, etc...

T: Like I said in aroma the espresso is no joke and the oak is almost impossible to trace. Also like I mentioned prior being about 30 ozs in now the oak is there, but subtly. After all being professionals as most BA's strive for, the fruitiness is there slightly, but I wouldn't say killed by the strong flavors of coffee and Imperial stout, to be completely honest they accentuate them.

M: A lingering flavor which I'm not sure should be typed here or in taste, alas it is my review so f*** off(JP!)! I'd say maybe slightly under whole milk for the weight, and a tangy acidity that grabs the inside of the cheeks. With my rating though it's obviously in a good way!

D: A good dessert beer, in many European countries they drink coffee or espresso at the end of a meal, probably would do very well with a very nicely charred smokey brisket(Texas style). I'd like to find this next to my cheesecake. Actually a pairing with something as rich as a classic cherry cheesecake would be perfect, but there are many other options out there, just choose something more dominant as the flavor does tend to linger. All in all an amazing beer and I cheers to the Great Divide with a Houblon Chouffe glass of their finest!

blazin5050, Apr 28, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Beautiful dark brown color with a dark tan head, perfect retention and lacing. One couldn't ask for better.

S: Rich hoppy goodness covered a bit with a little fruit. Smokey rich coffee and a little chocolate. This is one of the best smelling beers I've ever tried.

T: Coffee is really in there! This is the most coffee flavor I've ever tasted in a beer. Hops are right behind it, kicking in almost instantly. They're the same tangy hops found in many northwestern IPAs. Oak flavor really comes out, along with the alcohol in back, but the alcohol is really tolerable when mixed with all the other flavors. There's a little bitter chocolate in there too.

M: Really rich and creamy texture, medium-heavy body. Carbonation is spot-on for the style - light but present. Non-astringent.

D: This drinks like mad for an Imperial. I could have this any day of the week.

ralree, Apr 28, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

pours black, thick, some light brown head, good level of carbonation.

smell is burnt coffee

bitter taste. The nose was at least accurate, because burnt coffee is comin' your way. And then overpowers some of the wonderful things you would taste if you were drinking a regular oak aged Yeti. But nonetheless, some of the oak aged hoppy fruity stout flavors I've grown to love come through. Sort of. But they're mixed now with a bitterness that doesn't seem right.

to this beer's credit, after it beat down my palate with the bitter burnt coffee burn, we warmed up to eachother (somewhat). But I'd take a regular Oak variety of this stout most of the time, and if I wanted a coffee stout there are other (better) options.

caskstrength, Apr 27, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked this up in Portland, along with a bottle of Oak Aged Yeti. Drank it out of a normal pint glass.
This was a fantastic beer, but I really wish that I had laid it down and drank it a year from now. The Oak Aged Yeti is getting saved, for sure.

a- like black coffee with a one finger tan head

s- hops, "malt coffee", real coffee.

t- there is a lot going on in this beer. Up front, you gen this whole rummy molasses thing, then there's a blast of hops and roasted malts. There's a slight astringency, but it isn't too bad. Then on the tail, you get the espresso. And it's a very strongly defined espresso taste. Some coffee stouts loose the coffee, in this one, it's definitely there.

m- this one takes over your mouth for a long time. It has a lot of body. Definitely a sipper.

d- this took me a while to finish, I'll admit. But RIS aren't supposed to be fast drinkers. To style, I'd say that this was as drinkable as the best imperial stouts that I've had. Though, I would not plan on drinking more then one of them in a night.

goatxpower, Apr 26, 2009

Pours a oil-slick black color with a very thick brown head that fades down to a one-finger head.

Aroma is creamy with a good dose of coffee in the nose. A bit of chocolate shows underneath the nose as well. I can't smell any oak but otherwise, very nice aroma.

Taste is creamy upfront and gives way to dark fruits and cocoa in the middle. Wow. The coffee character is here but it in no way overwhelms the other flavors. Wow. Again, I'm impressed here.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering bitter coffee, cream and chocolate flavors.

Holy Shit! I'm so glad I picked this up. I love the flavors and the mouthfeel is just where I like it. It's got the right amount of creaminess and the other flavors seem well balanced as well. I'm not sure if you can do better than this. Would improve even more with age. Very, very, very nice. I will be seeking this out the next time I go to Mass.

Don't worry about the rating. This is one hell of a beer that deserves its' marks. I can't wait to open the bottles of 2007 Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti that I have.

Brad007, Apr 26, 2009

This beer poured a thick dark black body with a thick tan head.

Nose is in your face chocolate, espresso, dark malt, dark chocolate, lots of alcohol right off the bat,

Taste is full bodied with an immediate hit of bitter coffee, espresso and dark chocolate. Very bitter. Coffee, triple shot dark citric espresso, unsweetened bakers chocolate, raw oak and some strong touches of alcoholic vanilla. Bitterness is all around, but it's hard to tell if it's the dark bitter malts, the dark bitter coffee or a strong bitter hop. What a conundrum. There's definatly a hop presence that gives it just a touch of citrus across the bitterness. Actually, if you're an espresso fan who drinks with a twist of lemon, the citrus actually fits very well with the bitterness. Ends with a longgg lingering coffee bitterness.

As a huge fan of the original oak aged yet(maybe top 5 greatest beers ever), I'm not sure if I like this one as much. The beer already had a nice coffee presence, now with espresso it just seems to be fighting for attention. Do I taste the oak, or the coffee, or the espresso, or stout, or dark malts, or dark malt coffee flavor, or is that just the espresso. The espresso is a cool idea, it just seem like they already reached perfection, the extra touch of espresso just doesn't fit right.

taez555, Apr 25, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Dangerous beer! Be warned!

Pours luxurious black with deep brown head that has a sexy contrast. Aromas of espresso (of course), baker's chocolate, and marshmallow are present. Sipping through the generous head is a lot like sipping espresso through the creamy crema - quite a sensory experience. Viscous body, dark roasted coffee beans, wet coffee paper filter, and slight chalky component are noticed on the palate. Finish is very long and roasty. Very drinkable for the style.

yemenmocha, Apr 24, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This poured pitch black with dark tan head. It smelled like lots of coffee, with strong alcohol and little else. It tasted like black coffee with some roasted and burnt grinds, and a hint of oak and bitter chocolate. It was slightly thick with no carbonation, and had a bitter coffee aftertaste. Overall this beer isn't kidding when it says Espresso. Fantastic flavor if you like coffee. Bold taste hides alcohol much better than expected based on the smell. It could use a bit more body, as this seemed thinner than the Oaked Yeti. Great beer, though.

Pencible, Apr 24, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from 22oz bomber to snifter

A: Pours a totally black body with a reddish brown 2 finger head with good retention and about half a glass of lacing.

S: Smelled the hops no more than a second after i popped the cap off. Aside from the hops I get strong roasty malts with strong hints of chocolate and espresso.

T: Hops sneak in right away but only for a second as the beer hits your lips. Malts quickly take over with a strong roastiness still met with a decent amount of hop. A third party enters as Mr. Oak creeps in with subtle whispers as he invites Bittersweet Chocolate (a young sassy woman) to join the party. As this quartet of flavors dances across your tongue big fat Espresso shoves his way onto the stage and demands attention. He is a bold one. The strong espresso gives off a nice amount of bitterness...the kind that Mr. hops can jump on board with, which he does. The finish is bold and has a decent bitter bite to it. My favorite part about this flavor party is that Dr. Alcohol attended but kept very quiet.

Overall: Mouthfeel was very pleasant, very well carbonated and not as thick as I expected. Drinkablility is very good, however such a big flavor and alcohol bring it down a bit, one bomber will do for me. Fantastic beer.

AdmiralDiaz, Apr 23, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a couple bottles recently, decided to open one a couple weeks ago. A 22 oz., poured to a pint glass, reviewed from notes. Bottled: Feb 13 09

A: Awesome blackness, impenetrable. Rich, mocha-tan head builds to about 2-fingers, drops as a rocky mass of frothiness, leaving a bubbly mass of cream. Terrific lace, beautifully criss-crossing the entire glass.

S: Cocoa and darker chocolate fill the nose, along with dark bread, mild citrus and (oh, yeah) espresso coffee. Has a sugary oatmeal character, too and and enticing barrel/wood aroma. It all comingles, but for some reason doesn't come together.

T: Ah, yes...the punch of dark-roasted coffee beans, the sweetness of a molasses reduction, a syrupy bitter chocolate, a dash of vanilla and a sneaking fruitiness. That's the flavor profile I expected...delicious!

M: Luscious feel, coating and heavy . Certainly has alot of coffee flavor, bittering sitting numbly at the back of the tongue. Leaves a malty coating on the lips, some alcohol warmth builds on the cheeks...in fact, too much heat after a while.

D: Probably a little young right now. Booziness needs a chance to mellow; coffee roast mostly conceals it now, but eventually the warming catches up and reduces drinkability. A good sipper, but a difficult bottle to finish. Still, absolutely worth seeking out - recommended!

msubulldog25, Apr 23, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

A- Used motor oil black with a creamy brown head

S- Wonderful, the dominant smells seem to be more along the lines of dark chocolate and vanilla. The espresso takes a bit of a back seat, but this is not a bad thing, this beer smells like heaven.

T- Where to begin? Big, bold cocoa up front, with the espresso and vanilla right behind it. The oak REALLY comes through in the flavor, as does a very peculiar (and positively wonderful) smokiness. The finish is warm booze, ever increasing oak, and even a bit of hop bite. All I can say is... wow.

M- Chewy and lightly carbonated, very well balanced.

D- This beer is definitely a sipper, but I had no problem finishing a 22 oz. bomber and was saddened upon taking the last sip... it is that good.

thisnamestoolong, Apr 22, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

This review is based on the second bottle of Espresso Oaked Yeti I have drank. The beer was served at room temperature. The first bottle I had only really came into its own at room temperature. The beer was served in an Imperial Pint Glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is straight black with no opaqueness to light. The head is thick and the color of lightly creamed espresso. Thick lacing remains on my glass to mark the beers consumption. This beer is the very definition of the darkness.

Smell: The beers aroma is of lightly roasted espresso. I would have liked a little more coffee but this isnt bad. The supporting aromas of vanilla and cocoa are very nice. A grain alcohol boozey aroma underlies the aroma. The hops provide what seems to be a bit of citrus to the aroma.

Taste: The beers flavor leads in with very nicely roasted coffee. The vanilla and cocao flavors smooth the flavor. The hops bring a bit of citrus to the party. Some put a dab of OJ in my coffee and I think I like it. A vaguely smokey earthyness finishes the beers flavor. Its dam near everything I was hoping for. In all honesty the espresso completes the oaked yeti for me. Very sexy!...

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a full body. The carbonation is low and works well with the chewy and creamy textures of this beer. This beer is an alcohol bomb for sure at 9.5%/ The boozeyness of the beer matches the beers general character. In short I will probably never again partake of the Yeti unless it is of the espresso oaked variety.

nlmartin, Apr 21, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Consumed 3/11/2009. Shared by newtonty.

Pours super dark, rich brown with a dark tan head. Decent lacing.

Big nose of espresso and dark, baker's chocolate.

Nose reflects the mouth, dry dry.

Medium with low carbonation, slightly creamy and a touch bitter.

beachbum1975, Apr 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Nothing like a huge stout on a beautiful warm spring day... huh?!

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Victory becker purely black in color. A 3-finger mocha chocolate head forms on top and slowly drops to a full-on 1-finger high, rocky head. Sheets of lacing show on the glass even before I take my first sip.

SMELL: Definitely smells like Yeti but in the place of the hops, there's the aroma-thinning effect of pure coffee. It doesn't overpower though and lets the chocolate-type aromas come through nicely. The citrusy hops can still be found in the background but aren't in your face as one is used to in regular Yeti. One thing that is tough to pick up on is any effects of the oak aging. I might be able to pick out some woody flavors if you told me they were there, but if I didn't know, I don't think I'd be able to pick up on them.

TASTE: Starts off as a very balanced imperial stout with a formidable hop presence. The coffee comes on slowly but really fleshes itself out to dominate the taste, especially toward the finish. The finish also features a bit of a warming alcohol that really doesn't get in the way too much. The sweeter flavors (chocolate, dark fruits, etc.) are really highlighted too much and are only there as a base.

MOUTHFEEL: Very thick and slightly slick. The carbonation is just above average levels.

DRINKABILITY: Man, if you like coffee beers, this is one for you. I'm likely to be sipping on this bomber for a long time today, but for the style it drinks fairly well.

A nice beer with an expected twist on it. I think I prefer both the regular and oaked versions to this one however.

jmalex, Apr 19, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -15%

Picked up a bomber from Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem. Bottled on Feb 13 09. Appears pitch black with a tan head and lacing.

I'm torn with this beer. On one hand, there's great, complex flavor profile. However, there's an unpleasant booze sting, like when you take a shot of vodka. The aroma holds big fruity, bready chocolate and coffee smells. The flavor has a huge espresso bean note that's rich but not terribly deep. That boozy tang quickly kicks in and ruins an otherwise awesome beer. What a shame.

tempest, Apr 19, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bomber served in a snifter. Poured a deep brown/black with about a finger of fine bubbled tan head. Lots of coffee in the aroma also some piney hops. Rich and full bodied. Lots of chocolate and vanilla right off as well as coffee of course. The coffee is not overpowering as in some coffee beers. There is a fair amount of hop bitterness, that shows up in a dry finish. The chocolate and coffee really linger in the finish. To me one of the better coffee stouts. The coffee is not overly bitter. Great flavor from the oak.

homebrewhawk, Apr 19, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a dark as night black from my "bomber" bottle. Thick tan head quickly forms. The lacing sticks around. Looks great.

Smelled the vanilla oak right away. Of course the dark chocolate and roasty malts are prevalent. Perhaps some smoke as well.

Highly carbonated. The roasty, malty sweetness hits me first, but quickly disspates into the dark chocolate and some hoppy bitterness. I'm not picking up much of the vanilla in the taste. I think the espresso and chocolate have completely overshadowed it.

Thick on the tongue. The bitterness hangs around a while and to me makes a lasting impression.

Definitely a sipper. Somewhat of an acquired taste, but something you should try to broaden your horizons a bit.

Infamous7100, Apr 18, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a thick syrupy jet black, you practically hear it "galunk" into the glass, with a small tan head that fades quickly to a lacing

Smells of coffee, dark chocolate, alcohol, and some dark fruits in the background

the taste reminds me of perhaps chocolate milk made from dark unsweetened chocolate, with coffee and a nice woody character, a little hop bitterness on the finish

thick and luxurious initially with a little bite from the carbonation, lingering finish that stains the mouth

drinkability is good for the style, but it is really a sipper, probably my favorite of the Yeti's, the coffee has evened everything out very nicely

sjccmd, Apr 18, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours deep brown with a small brown cap on it. The nose has a bit of coffee to it, but not as much as I was expecting. Chocolate is definitely present as is a nice roasted malt.

Ooh, lots going on in this one. Everything seems a little more balanced than in your standard Yeti. The chocolate is here but is somewhat smoothed out by the espresso. Lots of different flavors mingling in (some nice smokiness and wood in there with the sweeter flavors).

Definitely my favorite of the Yetis so far. Everything works together to give a great overall experience. Highly recommended.

Larrytown, Apr 18, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottled 2/13.

Appearance - Pours jet black with a fluffy dark tan head. Rings of sticky lacing. Only slight negative is that the head is not very persistent.
Smell - Espresso and roasted malts.
Taste - Smooth chocolate, espresso, slight vanilla note, bitter finish.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied (was oddly thin at times and full at others), smooth
Drinkability - A sipper, but still relatively easy drinking. This is a rather rich beer though and one I recommend sharing.

Aenema, Apr 18, 2009