Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

My unofficial 90th review! (I have a handful in my notes that I haven't gotten around to posting.)

22oz. poured into broad mouth glass

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown but sits black in the glass with an inviting half inch light brown head. Not much head retention but nice lacing.

Smell: I could smell this from a foot away. The smell is fantastic lots of heavy chocolate aromas mixing with earthy hops and more than just a touch of coffee.

Taste: Hm. I had this not too long ago for the first time and I was floored. Something is a bit off in comparison to last time. All the flavors I remember; chocolate, coffee, herbal and citrus hops, hazelnut, and vanilla from the oak aging are there but they're slightly skewed. It's a lot more obviously oak aged and upping the wood and bourbon like qualities. What's a shame though is for some reason the amalgamation of all these flavors is producing kind of a rubbery taste. As it warms is seems to lose it, but this still doesn't taste exactly like what I remember. I do love how bitter it is, it balances out the sweet nicely. It's not that it's not good, I know when I first tried it I thought it was delicious, it's just a little weird.

Mouthfeel: Smooth over the tongue, and sticks around in your mouth. Bitterness makes each sip refreshing and carbonation is right on target.

Drinkability: Higher than some extreme imperial stouts and I'm having a pretty easy time getting through the bottle, but it's still a monster.

Overall: I'm hoping this was just an off bottle or my taste buds are messed up right now because when I first had this I was in heaven. It was like drinking espresso ice cream, which was a good thing. I'm not going to let this bad experience with it mess with my grading too much because I know what I first tasted and I know that it was excellent. Pick this up, see for yourself.

*Note: As this brew warms up it's getting more and more like what I remember so maybe it was just a little too cold at first.

optiontwo, Apr 05, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

bottle courtasy of tprokop7

Poured from a gold tin wrapped brown bomber into a pub glass.
A good 2.5 inch dark brown head forms, receeding very slowly. Leaving behind alot of good sticky thick brown lace and a quarter inch cap of retention.
The color like all yeti is black with no light penetration.

I gave the arom a lower grade due to the lack of coffee in the aroma itself. However, the aroma is quite good, its just lacking what this style is supposed to present.
It smeels like the barrel aged yeti, with really no coffee aroma at all.

Taste up front is a chocolatey liquore with dark roasted coffee, oak, chocolate bittering grains, lactose, and finishing bitter with plenty of peanuts and dark rish coffee. The coffee flavors really snuck up on me, after being absent in aroma.
This shares flavor similarities to Devil Over a Barrel with its creamy peanut buttery nutyness.
Also there is some Barrel Aged yeti like flavors, not the oak aged, I'm talking about the limited released barrel aged. It shares some of the richer chocolate liquore warm boozyness, as well as a truffle like bitter chocolate desert flavor.

Finishing dry and bitter with chocolate grains and plenty of roasty coffee flavors.

For a coffee beer its not exceptional by any means, but its not terrible either. Yeti has always been a terrific go to RIS for me. This is just another fine example of the brew.

Buebie, Apr 05, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Had a sample of this last night with dkachur, CrellMoset and IBUnit63. Now having more, so I suppose it made a good first impression!

A: Midnight black with a very rich head of brown... a darker brown, at that, almost chocolatey, almost 3 fingers tall with quite a nice retention. This is one good looking beer.

S: The big coffee scents stand out quite a bit, along with a deep roasted malt and the added scents of both chocolate and vanilla.

T: Quite a bitter brew, like a good shot of espresso in the morning. I imagine this isn't a great choice for the evening (which is how I'm consuming it!) but it's tasty, nonetheless! That dark roast coffee flavour along with bitter dark chocolates. Intense and rich.

M + D: Quite well carbonated, with a good bit of sting on the tip of the tongue. That said, it does kind of become a muddy, thicker feeling as it goes down and with each subsequent sips. Alcohol becomes much more apparent and it starts to get rather hot and boozy. This is certainly more suited to be a slow sipper, but it's quite a nice tasting beer in the end. Recommended.

Proteus93, Apr 05, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours black, with a thick, light brown head. Nice lace.

Espresso hits the nose first, followed by a very extravegant scent of roasted malts, and everything that would be expected for an oak aged imperial stout.

First taste is incredible--it's like biting into a dark chocolate espresso truffle. The oak smooths things out so nicely. Very rich, and everything I've ever wanted in a coffee stout.

Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel.

I love coffee stouts, and this has to be one of the best I've had.

wescj, Apr 05, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

This is an exceptional beer. I was thrilled to death to see it on tap at Barleys last night and the first thing I ordered when I got there without heistation. Served in a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/03/2009.

The pour was fantastic. Rich dark black in color with a completely opaque and dark look to it. Rich tan colored head rose up to at least an inch and a half before settling down into a whispy cloud on top and tons of side glass lacing, perfect. The aroma was sublime, rich cocoa and coffee notes that swirled together effortlessly wth light hints of oak and rich sweet smells just swirling about it. As I took the first sip I nearly fell over. This is what I have been looking for in a big coffee stout. INSANE. Rich coffee flavors that were perfectly balanced against the rich oak and chocolate notes that I love in my oaked yeti. Smooth, seductive big bodied fel that made this a sublime sipper that offered no hint of the alcohol in it at all.

Overall I was floored by this beer. Simply put one of the best beers I have had in a very long time. This is an instant classic that has been done wonderfully. I would go after this one at every chance that I get.

mikesgroove, Apr 05, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

a) black w/ brown lacing w/ large bubbles; looks a little thin compared to Yet which i don't know if i fully understand why

s) best part of this beer. wonderful dark chocolate and espresso. want to smell some other flavors but love it for what it is

t) delicious chocolate initially and then finishes with coffee all the way to the back of throat and then chocolate aftertaste. dessert beer

m) smooth, drys out mouth a bit. no stickyness. feels light.

d) I will revisit but need to split a bommer w/ someone. can not drink all night.

best offering from great divide w/ out a doubt

mykie73, Apr 04, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

22 oz. bottle courtesy dkachur - thanks!! Split and enjoyed w/ dkachur, proteus93, and IBUnit63, w/ my portion poured into a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a big, thick, inky, dark, bottomless brown-body, capped by a sticky, foamy, one-finger tan cocoa head. The sheen is persistent, consistent, with a foamy, thin collar and tons of pock mark-esque, glittery, runny, spotty lacing.

Aroma: Whoa. This one is incredibly hoppy, reminding me of Hibernation in many ways. Almost like York Peppermint Patties, or Junior Mints, with huge mint and light citrus, backed up by a huge chunk of cocoa and coffee-esque malts. The espresso is definitely prominent, well-roasted, incredibly earthy, spring-like. The alcohol is unfortunately a little present in the background, slightly estery and warm.

Taste: Whew. Intense, but I think it's lacking a little of what the original Yeti/OA Yeti has, in my opinion. The hops are still large and in charge, minty, leafy, herbal, though they do meld very well w/ everything else. The malty backbone is toast, cocoa, coffee, earthy, faintly sweet, but more perhaps bitter. The espresso is also prominent, though it adds a lot of bitter, heavily roasted astringencies to the proceedings.

Mouthfeel: Really pleasant. Even and creamy, with a lot of pleasant, smooth, enjoyable notes. Not as thick as it should be, likely, making it quite enjoyable.

Drinkability: A very solid beer, though perhaps not as good as I imagined it would be. I really liked the Yeti and the OA Yeti better, I think. I think the espresso needs a little time to mellow, meld w/ things, let the oakyness come out a lot more (not that they ever really do in the GD beers). It's still a really impressive brew, but still.

CrellMoset, Apr 04, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Black with a thin and attractive mocha-colored head. Thick lacing on the glass above.
Smell is coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and some booze.
Delicious. So delicious I am pissed-off. I wish I didn't have a seven-hour college course tomorrow, or I'd drink another bottle of this wonderful beer. Coffee, chocolate, leather tones and a perfect level of bitterness. Small booze presence. They got this one right.
Mouthfeel is good. Just the right level of carbonation to give it a nice tingly feel, yet still smooth. Little bit of warmth from the alcohol.
The delicious nature of this one makes me want more, but the ABV makes its presence known quite quickly. However, I could easily have another bottle on a night in which I didn't have to get up early the following morning.

WilliamD, Apr 04, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours near black, with a tan head that lasts the entire bottle. The upfront nose is of rich coffee and roasted malt. Once it warms, the nose becomes a little more fruity from the alcohol. The taste is very complex, and still incredibly drinkable. Notes of espresso, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate followed by a nice balance of earthy hop bitterness. The oak and alcohol are subtle, but noticeable. The mouthfeel is full bodied and the carbonation is dead on. Truly a beer worth seeking out, and one so smooth I could drink all night.

DousedInStout, Apr 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Great Divide bomber, capped and corked, $9.99 in Columbus. Bottled on Feb 13, 2009, less than 2 months ago.

The beer is dark brown, not quite black, with a thick tan froth that looks perfect on the pour (tons of bubbles cascading up through the beer, just the way I like a RIS). The smell is a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, not nearly as rich as I'd expect from a beer marketed as "Espresso oak aged". I didn't smell any coffee, maybe no oak either, this just smelled like yeti. The taste was better, I got the oak and chocolate (still no coffee), and lots of roasted malt. Astringently bitter which might be pleasing for others but I like RISs to be sweeter. Good body and mouthfeel, substantial. Overall a bit of a disappointment for $10, I had hoped for more coffee and more massiveness.

TurdFurgison, Apr 03, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

I put this up there with Peche Mortel in terms of strong coffee-liek stouts. It's pure black with a huge, dark brown head that is thick and made up of the densest, tiniest bubbles. The smell of freshly ground coffee beans the most and then bits of chocolate. The taste is also of fresh coffee beans but has a bit of astringency from the bitterness of the burnt beans...it works well though in this beer. The mouthfeel is creamy and awesome. Not hints of alcohol solvency. Well done. Fucking awesome.

Douglas14, Apr 03, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Darker than used motor oil. Pours with wall beige head. Lacing surprisingly robust. Smell is mostly coffe with a chocolate background.

Taste is blindingly sweet for the first second or so, followed by a brutally strong coffee flavor mixed nicely with chocolate. Nice hope notes.

Feels light and gritty. Pretty drinkable for an imperial stout.

snaotheus, Apr 03, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours an oily black with a massive dark tan head that leaves sheets of lacing on the way down to a small cap which lingers for the duration.

The aroma is actually fairly similar to the non-espresso version, dominated by a malted milk ball aroma - tons of dark roasted malts and dark chocolate. I don't really get much in the way of coffee in the aroma, maybe a hint as it warms.

The taste follows the aroma but definitely has more of the espresso. The initial flavors are semi-sweet dark chocolate and the dark malt backbone. The finish brings on a bit of the espresso with a lingering bitterness through the finish and a nice burn down the throat from the booze.

The mouthfeel is spectacular - full bodied but very, very smooth. Completely decadent mouthfeel, like drinking a dessert.

This is another great version of the yeti and one that I enjoyed. I honestly could have used more coffee in this one, but it's still a great beer.

gford217, Apr 02, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a tulip at cellar temp. Pours a jet blac body with a good sized cola colored head. Beautiful beer. Smell is of chocolate at first, then I get the coffee, some vanilla and some alcohol. Taste is very complex. I get a ton of different flavors as I drink it. At first a ton of chocolate. Almost Kate-like. That stops as I continue to drink and I get a bunch of oak, bitter, bitter coffee and some alcohol burn. The bitterness dominates as I continue to drink, but I don't mind this. Mouthfeel is slick as can be with that much bitterness. Fairly full bodied, but not creamy. Good stout, one that I would try again.

DrDogbeer, Apr 01, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

A - pours ver dark, inky, black hole black, with two full fingers of chocolate milk froth type head

S - be sure not to drink this too cold, as it kills the aroma, as i let it warm, coffee aromas expound, a previous reviewer mentioned its like walking into a starbucks or some other gourment coffee shop and i agree with that sentiment, i also detect an alcohol bite, rich roasted coffee associated malts, hops are barely discernible, i cant pick out the vanilla/oak characteristics mentioned on the bottle

T - as one would expect, the coffee/espresso flavors do demand your attention in the entire taste experience, so does a background laced with alcohol sting, almost a whiskeyish alcohol note, there is a noticeable oaky/resiny/woody element to the finish, but to me it lacks the vanilla-esque sweetness associated with some oak aging, overall just too much of a alcohol element, it overwhelms

M&D - other than the alcohol overwhelming, some interesting notes, an intense flavors, just wish i could taste them

sinstaineddemon, Apr 01, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Ordered a snifter at the Great Divide Brewery Tap Room.

Pours a big 2 finger dark chocolate colored head. Body is pitch black and opaque. Head retention and lacing are good through out

Smell is very big on espresso and chocolate malt. The only way i could describe it to someone would be like walking into starbucks or the ground coffee aisle in a grocery store. Never have smelled anything like it. Hops are present but pretty low.

Taste is very similar to a frappuccino but with alcohol added. Lots of roasted, burnt malts that give it the thickness of a milkshake. Aftertaste is of some hops and a bit of alcohol

Head is nice and creamy. Body is rich, almost like a desert. Theres not a lot of carbonation but thats probably a good thing

Over all has lots of flavor, nice thick consistency but still highly drinkable. From where i sit i can see the fermenters making this brew, i kind of want to jump right in there and bathe in this delicious beer but the burns would prolly be pretty severe. So glad i live so close to the supply, could drink this everyday

angelmonster, Apr 01, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Black with brown overtones. A thin layer of dark tan foam. Medium lacing on the glass.

S: Coffee. Espresso. Hints of oak, chocolate, and vanilla.

T: This is fantastic. Coffee leads the way with a nice hit of espresso without being overpowering. Hints of chocolate and oak line the edges, with a nice roasted flavor coming through. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

M: Smooth and almost creamy. A hint of warming from the alcohol.

D: This is a fantastic stout. Great Divide has upped the Yeti even one further from the original oak aged version. Adding coffee has turned this into one incredible stout.

YonderWanderer, Apr 01, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottled on 2/13/09, picked up at Capone's, poured into my Great Divide snifter.

Pours a thick lightless dark, dark brownish black color with nice 2 fingers of foamy mocha and burnt tan head. Great lasting retention and some pretty impressive lacing, with a huge creamy ring at the very top. Smells of roasted malt, espresso, baker's chocolate, floral hops, oak, molasses, coffee, and slightly burnt brownies. Tastes of espresso right off the bat with some citrusy hops following close behind along with a touch of dark fruits like raisins and plum. Roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, and light vanilla notes make an appearance as does some nuttiness, anise, and wet oak before a finish of charred coffee grounds and bitter hops. Full to medium full in body with moderate carbonation. Thick, smooth, and creamy but with a chewy finish, hides a majority of its ABV well. Not overly coffee'd out, just a nice extra push from regular Oak Aged Yeti to incorporate more balance into it. A nice Imperial stout, but a little on the bitter side. Easy to drink but not frequently, maybe with age it will mellow out a bit.

HopDerek, Mar 30, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8%

22oz bottle
Bottled Feb 13 2009

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a dark black color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is very dark and roasty with a lot of fresh roasted coffee in the nose. There is also some hops and a good dose of alcohol but the coffee is definitely the dominant smell in the aroma. Very nice! Can't wait for my first sip!

T- The taste starts out pretty smooth with some roasted malts and a hint of sweetness. It quickly to bitterness with a lot of bitter coffee and hop flavors in the finish. There is definitely a lot of hops in the finish, definitely one of the hoppier Imperial Stouts.

M- The mouthfeel is a little on the thick side with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is some great stuff. Not exactly the most drinkable beer in the world, it is definitely a sipper. Overall, this is one that I would definitely pick up again. Highly Recommended!

cjgator3, Mar 30, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Pours blackish with a dark brown head. Good lacing. No surprises, good or bad.

S - Vanilla, chocolate and a surprisingly muted coffee smell.

T - The first second of this two of this beer are fantastic. A great blend of vanilla, chocolate, coffee and bourbon punch the tongue. But then, before I can begin to contemplate the intense and complex flavors, they completely fade to strong coffee and very hoppy finish. A little out of balance. I do have to say that as the beer gets warmer the initial taste lingers longer.

M - Probably the weakest feature of this beer...Maybe its because I'm having this after a week of drinking of KBS, but it seems a little watery - only a little, but still...

D - The ABV coupled with the unbalanced bitter finish make one enough.

schinebd, Mar 30, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Duvel tulip

A - Pours a viscous black, with an incredible coffee ice cream-colored head that sticks around. As this head recedes it leaves substantial lacing down the glass. Great stuff.

S - Roasted malts and coffee come through initially, with an alcoholic whiff that helps one to know that this is an imp stout. The acidity of the roastiness and coffee combined with the alcohol is very pleasant.

T - The rich, vanilla oakiness of the decaffeinated version of this beer takes a back seat to the acidic bitterness of the coffee and malts, but are still there nonetheless. The chocolate qualities of the roasted malts blend well with the acidic coffee tastes as well. Hops come through just a bit to lend a dirt-like quality to the "coffeeness" which works well.

M&D- Creamy and viscous, about what an oak-aged imperial stout should be. The ABV on this is well hidden, so I could see putting a few of these back in a night before calling it quits.

dukew456, Mar 29, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours very dark black with a huge head that's almost just as black. Very dark head indeed. The head left lacing all over the glass and stuck around until the beer was gone.

Aroma of hops was overpowering. After warming up a bit more the malt and coffee came out to play. There really could have been a lot more malt and coffee tones for my personal preference.

Taste was very hoppy and bitter but not just from the hops but also the roasted malt and coffee. There wasn't as much balance as I'd hope for but this was still a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel was very slick and viscous. Very dry and bittter. Could be a bit sweeter in my opinion.

Good imperial stout but nothing I'd rush to pay $12.00 to $20 a bomber for again. I really enjoyed the regular oak aged yeti more than this beer and that really suprises me since I've loved every coffee beer I've had.

gonzo46and2, Mar 29, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

"It's official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast."-- Espresso Oak Aged Yeti label

"Hell Yeah!"-- cvstrickland

Presented lightly chilled and served in a large tulip glass, Great Divide's latest edition to the Yeti herd is inky blackness incarnate and is capped with a magnificent lid of fine-bubbled, creamy, fudgy-brown foam. The chocolate ice cream-colored head hangs around, going nowhere fast, and deposits quite a few fat, drippy, interconnected rings of lacing onto the interior wall of my glass.

The aroma is rich and roasty, with loads of acrid dark-roasted coffee, Devil's Food cake, tangy molasses, bakers' chocolate, and a cooling note of vanilla. Warm caramel, homemade brownies, and woody char round out an olfactory profile that is big, black, and bold.

The taste is rich and creamy with silky caramel and chocolatey toffee right up front. Midway the swig, a dark-roasted, near-burnt blast of charred grain and mild black coffee slams the door on the mellow sweetness, balancing the finish between a bit of ashy and bitter against notes of savory-sweet. As the drink progresses, I am seized with thoughts that favorably compare the brew to Storck's Chocolate Riesen candies, as this Yeti is replete with dark chocolate-covered vanilla caramels and plenty of creamy sweetness that emerges in spite of the bolder bitter elements that star the show. As the drink warms further, coffee flavor and bitterness creep back to center stage, which is just fine with me-- the beer DOES have "Espresso" right there in the titular nomenclature, doesn't it? If you don't dig strong black coffee, don't buy this beer and then feel compelled whine, bitch, and cry about the pungency of the java; please leave this grownups-only drink on the shelf for someone who truly appreciates such concoctions-- like ME!

The sturdy 9% ABV is quite well-hidden in the flavor profile, but EOA Yeti makes itself a warming presence as it languishes in my belly. The drink is full-bodied, creamy, and perfectly carbonated, making it quite quaffable in spite of its potency. An outstanding addition to the Yeti family tree!!

cvstrickland, Mar 29, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Nice dark black beer with a very dark brown foamy head.

S- The smell is coffee and chocolate, with a good hit of oak wood.

T- This is sweet, and not overly coffee flavored. The coffee is very much there, but subtle and not over powering. The oak flavor is there and tasty. A nice complexity that is smooth and easy going.

M- Easy on the mouth, nice semi thick, not too thick and yet great carbination.

D- Easy to drink for sure.

Wetpaperbag, Mar 29, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

22 oz bottle, bottle 2/13/09. Pours a dark black with a thick creamy dark brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet chocolate, cream, and coffee. Some roasted and charred malts and black licorice come out as it sits and then take over.

The flavor is sweet lactic chocolate at first with a big charred roasted bitter finish that dominates. It's very acidic and just sits on the tongue. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, it started off so promising, but the charred tarry finish is just too unpleasant. And where are the coffee flavors? This reminds me a lot of the oak aged Yeti (with all of its faults). The regular Yeti is far superior to both in my opinion.

Beaver13, Mar 29, 2009