2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,691 | Reviews: 951 | Show All Ratings:
bigbelcher

Arizona

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Color is a black opaque with a small almost non existent tan head. Good Belgian lacing. Aroma was that of heavy roast espresso coffee. Flavor of burnt heavy coffee, big espresso notes could have been balanced out better with a little bit of vanilla. Black malt with no chocolate of hop flavor evident because of the big burnt coffee taste. Full bodied and very warm to drink. Makes regular Yeti pale in comparison in flavor.

04-08-2009 15:07:32 | More by bigbelcher
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Bomber. Pours a completely opaque black color with a very large brown head, excellent lacing. Aroma is mainly oak at first and then some coffee, chocolate, raisins, roast probably from the espresso, maybe a touch of citrus hops, and a little alcohol. Taste is espresso at first, chocolate, resiny hops, and a touch of oak. Mouthfeel is very, very creamy and full bodied with a lot of bitterness at the end. The coffee and bitterness sticks around for a while after each drink. Warms well and is not really boozy except for a slight hint of aroma. Very good beer.

04-08-2009 01:47:54 | More by mtstatebeer
alexgash

Connecticut

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle. Bottled on March 6, 2009. 9.5% abv.

Pours a very dark, motor-oily black/brown. Big, rocky, cumulonimbus head of thick, creamy, peanut-shell brown. Terrific lacing. Inviting nose of bitter dark chocolate shavings, Italian roasted coffee, vanilla, a touch of smoke, and earthy hop bitterness.

Flash of chocolate and fruity malt up front, before intense coffee and dark chocolate bitterness come on strong. Hints of dark fruit sweetness, licorice, and vanilla come through. Charred, roasted coffee bitterness stays strong throughout. Herbal and resinous hop bitterness in the finish combines with the chalky-roasted espresso bitterness to aptly numb the tongue. Wow. I feel like I should be drinking this tomorrow morning with my grape nuts. Looks like I'll be staying up all night watching baseball! Full-bodied with a thick, creamy feel. Very good.

04-08-2009 00:49:53 | More by alexgash
Source

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Served ontap in a 12oz snifter.

A: Stout black with 1mm head that quicjly dissipated to a ducks foot cram streak and ring. Nice lacing.
S: Subtle espresso and cocoa.
T: Well the name is well earned here. Strong espresso and malty flavors with a chocolate underbelly. Quit delicious, would be better bottles with age.
M: impressive - the mouth of a fine RIS, challenging the tongue with every sip.
D: Very enticing. Could easily be a habit if it weren't an imperial stout.

04-07-2009 21:46:27 | More by Source
Frosty80

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Color: pours a very dark brown. sits black with an almost non-existent rim without tilting the glass 45 degrees

Smell: lots of coffee dominates followed by chocolate. slight hint of alcohol and oak

Taste: balance of coffee flavor with chocolate malts and oak with a slight bitterness developing towards the end with some woodiness in the finish

Mouthfeel: full body. low carbonation. silky smooth

Notes: not quite as bitter as the original yeti, but perhaps more complex in flavors. i think i like the original better, thought this is yet another home run from GD

04-07-2009 05:53:48 | More by Frosty80
HopDawg

South Carolina

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

tasting notes in haiku:
---

coffee ice cream - whoa!
bourbon notes in the finish
darkness, gone too fast

---
purchased @ charleston beer exchange $10.49

a unique offering from one of my favorite brewers

bottle design rating: 4.5/5

served in brooklyn tulip glass

04-06-2009 16:42:58 | More by HopDawg
mattcrill

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Aroma: A nice rich coffee and espresso aroma. A little bit of creamed coffee aroma too as the beer opens up a little. No hop aroma and low fruity esters.

Appearance: Opaque, jet black pour with a rich, thick tan head.

Flavor: More coffee flavors, chocolate, a bit of smokey background notes, and some low hop bitterness. A slight burnt note that compliments the coffee and oak flavors. Finish is dry and clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. No alcohol heat detected. Just a mild astringency from the oak and espresso.

Overall impression: A big, roasty, full flavored ale. I still think I prefer the regular Yeti but this was enjoyable. Definitely one to sip and savor. Glad I tried it once.

04-06-2009 00:32:32 | More by mattcrill
optiontwo

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

My unofficial 90th review! (I have a handful in my notes that I haven't gotten around to posting.)

22oz. poured into broad mouth glass

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown but sits black in the glass with an inviting half inch light brown head. Not much head retention but nice lacing.

Smell: I could smell this from a foot away. The smell is fantastic lots of heavy chocolate aromas mixing with earthy hops and more than just a touch of coffee.

Taste: Hm. I had this not too long ago for the first time and I was floored. Something is a bit off in comparison to last time. All the flavors I remember; chocolate, coffee, herbal and citrus hops, hazelnut, and vanilla from the oak aging are there but they're slightly skewed. It's a lot more obviously oak aged and upping the wood and bourbon like qualities. What's a shame though is for some reason the amalgamation of all these flavors is producing kind of a rubbery taste. As it warms is seems to lose it, but this still doesn't taste exactly like what I remember. I do love how bitter it is, it balances out the sweet nicely. It's not that it's not good, I know when I first tried it I thought it was delicious, it's just a little weird.

Mouthfeel: Smooth over the tongue, and sticks around in your mouth. Bitterness makes each sip refreshing and carbonation is right on target.

Drinkability: Higher than some extreme imperial stouts and I'm having a pretty easy time getting through the bottle, but it's still a monster.

Overall: I'm hoping this was just an off bottle or my taste buds are messed up right now because when I first had this I was in heaven. It was like drinking espresso ice cream, which was a good thing. I'm not going to let this bad experience with it mess with my grading too much because I know what I first tasted and I know that it was excellent. Pick this up, see for yourself.

*Note: As this brew warms up it's getting more and more like what I remember so maybe it was just a little too cold at first.

04-05-2009 22:31:28 | More by optiontwo
Buebie

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

bottle courtasy of tprokop7

Poured from a gold tin wrapped brown bomber into a pub glass.
A good 2.5 inch dark brown head forms, receeding very slowly. Leaving behind alot of good sticky thick brown lace and a quarter inch cap of retention.
The color like all yeti is black with no light penetration.

I gave the arom a lower grade due to the lack of coffee in the aroma itself. However, the aroma is quite good, its just lacking what this style is supposed to present.
It smeels like the barrel aged yeti, with really no coffee aroma at all.

Taste up front is a chocolatey liquore with dark roasted coffee, oak, chocolate bittering grains, lactose, and finishing bitter with plenty of peanuts and dark rish coffee. The coffee flavors really snuck up on me, after being absent in aroma.
This shares flavor similarities to Devil Over a Barrel with its creamy peanut buttery nutyness.
Also there is some Barrel Aged yeti like flavors, not the oak aged, I'm talking about the limited released barrel aged. It shares some of the richer chocolate liquore warm boozyness, as well as a truffle like bitter chocolate desert flavor.

Finishing dry and bitter with chocolate grains and plenty of roasty coffee flavors.

For a coffee beer its not exceptional by any means, but its not terrible either. Yeti has always been a terrific go to RIS for me. This is just another fine example of the brew.

04-05-2009 17:47:09 | More by Buebie
Proteus93

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Had a sample of this last night with dkachur, CrellMoset and IBUnit63. Now having more, so I suppose it made a good first impression!

A: Midnight black with a very rich head of brown... a darker brown, at that, almost chocolatey, almost 3 fingers tall with quite a nice retention. This is one good looking beer.

S: The big coffee scents stand out quite a bit, along with a deep roasted malt and the added scents of both chocolate and vanilla.

T: Quite a bitter brew, like a good shot of espresso in the morning. I imagine this isn't a great choice for the evening (which is how I'm consuming it!) but it's tasty, nonetheless! That dark roast coffee flavour along with bitter dark chocolates. Intense and rich.

M + D: Quite well carbonated, with a good bit of sting on the tip of the tongue. That said, it does kind of become a muddy, thicker feeling as it goes down and with each subsequent sips. Alcohol becomes much more apparent and it starts to get rather hot and boozy. This is certainly more suited to be a slow sipper, but it's quite a nice tasting beer in the end. Recommended.

04-05-2009 06:06:43 | More by Proteus93
wescj

Tennessee

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours black, with a thick, light brown head. Nice lace.

Espresso hits the nose first, followed by a very extravegant scent of roasted malts, and everything that would be expected for an oak aged imperial stout.

First taste is incredible--it's like biting into a dark chocolate espresso truffle. The oak smooths things out so nicely. Very rich, and everything I've ever wanted in a coffee stout.

Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel.

I love coffee stouts, and this has to be one of the best I've had.

04-05-2009 04:19:51 | More by wescj
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

This is an exceptional beer. I was thrilled to death to see it on tap at Barleys last night and the first thing I ordered when I got there without heistation. Served in a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/03/2009.

The pour was fantastic. Rich dark black in color with a completely opaque and dark look to it. Rich tan colored head rose up to at least an inch and a half before settling down into a whispy cloud on top and tons of side glass lacing, perfect. The aroma was sublime, rich cocoa and coffee notes that swirled together effortlessly wth light hints of oak and rich sweet smells just swirling about it. As I took the first sip I nearly fell over. This is what I have been looking for in a big coffee stout. INSANE. Rich coffee flavors that were perfectly balanced against the rich oak and chocolate notes that I love in my oaked yeti. Smooth, seductive big bodied fel that made this a sublime sipper that offered no hint of the alcohol in it at all.

Overall I was floored by this beer. Simply put one of the best beers I have had in a very long time. This is an instant classic that has been done wonderfully. I would go after this one at every chance that I get.

04-05-2009 00:17:25 | More by mikesgroove
mykie73

Oregon

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a) black w/ brown lacing w/ large bubbles; looks a little thin compared to Yet which i don't know if i fully understand why

s) best part of this beer. wonderful dark chocolate and espresso. want to smell some other flavors but love it for what it is

t) delicious chocolate initially and then finishes with coffee all the way to the back of throat and then chocolate aftertaste. dessert beer

m) smooth, drys out mouth a bit. no stickyness. feels light.

d) I will revisit but need to split a bommer w/ someone. can not drink all night.

best offering from great divide w/ out a doubt

04-04-2009 20:00:29 | More by mykie73
CrellMoset

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

22 oz. bottle courtesy dkachur - thanks!! Split and enjoyed w/ dkachur, proteus93, and IBUnit63, w/ my portion poured into a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a big, thick, inky, dark, bottomless brown-body, capped by a sticky, foamy, one-finger tan cocoa head. The sheen is persistent, consistent, with a foamy, thin collar and tons of pock mark-esque, glittery, runny, spotty lacing.

Aroma: Whoa. This one is incredibly hoppy, reminding me of Hibernation in many ways. Almost like York Peppermint Patties, or Junior Mints, with huge mint and light citrus, backed up by a huge chunk of cocoa and coffee-esque malts. The espresso is definitely prominent, well-roasted, incredibly earthy, spring-like. The alcohol is unfortunately a little present in the background, slightly estery and warm.

Taste: Whew. Intense, but I think it's lacking a little of what the original Yeti/OA Yeti has, in my opinion. The hops are still large and in charge, minty, leafy, herbal, though they do meld very well w/ everything else. The malty backbone is toast, cocoa, coffee, earthy, faintly sweet, but more perhaps bitter. The espresso is also prominent, though it adds a lot of bitter, heavily roasted astringencies to the proceedings.

Mouthfeel: Really pleasant. Even and creamy, with a lot of pleasant, smooth, enjoyable notes. Not as thick as it should be, likely, making it quite enjoyable.

Drinkability: A very solid beer, though perhaps not as good as I imagined it would be. I really liked the Yeti and the OA Yeti better, I think. I think the espresso needs a little time to mellow, meld w/ things, let the oakyness come out a lot more (not that they ever really do in the GD beers). It's still a really impressive brew, but still.

04-04-2009 05:56:26 | More by CrellMoset
WilliamD

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Black with a thin and attractive mocha-colored head. Thick lacing on the glass above.
Smell is coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and some booze.
Delicious. So delicious I am pissed-off. I wish I didn't have a seven-hour college course tomorrow, or I'd drink another bottle of this wonderful beer. Coffee, chocolate, leather tones and a perfect level of bitterness. Small booze presence. They got this one right.
Mouthfeel is good. Just the right level of carbonation to give it a nice tingly feel, yet still smooth. Little bit of warmth from the alcohol.
The delicious nature of this one makes me want more, but the ABV makes its presence known quite quickly. However, I could easily have another bottle on a night in which I didn't have to get up early the following morning.

04-04-2009 02:38:14 | More by WilliamD
DousedInStout

Washington

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours near black, with a tan head that lasts the entire bottle. The upfront nose is of rich coffee and roasted malt. Once it warms, the nose becomes a little more fruity from the alcohol. The taste is very complex, and still incredibly drinkable. Notes of espresso, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate followed by a nice balance of earthy hop bitterness. The oak and alcohol are subtle, but noticeable. The mouthfeel is full bodied and the carbonation is dead on. Truly a beer worth seeking out, and one so smooth I could drink all night.

04-04-2009 00:50:14 | More by DousedInStout
TurdFurgison

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Great Divide bomber, capped and corked, $9.99 in Columbus. Bottled on Feb 13, 2009, less than 2 months ago.

The beer is dark brown, not quite black, with a thick tan froth that looks perfect on the pour (tons of bubbles cascading up through the beer, just the way I like a RIS). The smell is a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, not nearly as rich as I'd expect from a beer marketed as "Espresso oak aged". I didn't smell any coffee, maybe no oak either, this just smelled like yeti. The taste was better, I got the oak and chocolate (still no coffee), and lots of roasted malt. Astringently bitter which might be pleasing for others but I like RISs to be sweeter. Good body and mouthfeel, substantial. Overall a bit of a disappointment for $10, I had hoped for more coffee and more massiveness.

04-03-2009 20:00:15 | More by TurdFurgison
Douglas14

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

I put this up there with Peche Mortel in terms of strong coffee-liek stouts. It's pure black with a huge, dark brown head that is thick and made up of the densest, tiniest bubbles. The smell of freshly ground coffee beans the most and then bits of chocolate. The taste is also of fresh coffee beans but has a bit of astringency from the bitterness of the burnt beans...it works well though in this beer. The mouthfeel is creamy and awesome. Not hints of alcohol solvency. Well done. Fucking awesome.

04-03-2009 03:40:22 | More by Douglas14
snaotheus

Washington

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Darker than used motor oil. Pours with wall beige head. Lacing surprisingly robust. Smell is mostly coffe with a chocolate background.

Taste is blindingly sweet for the first second or so, followed by a brutally strong coffee flavor mixed nicely with chocolate. Nice hope notes.

Feels light and gritty. Pretty drinkable for an imperial stout.

04-03-2009 00:53:54 | More by snaotheus
gford217

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours an oily black with a massive dark tan head that leaves sheets of lacing on the way down to a small cap which lingers for the duration.

The aroma is actually fairly similar to the non-espresso version, dominated by a malted milk ball aroma - tons of dark roasted malts and dark chocolate. I don't really get much in the way of coffee in the aroma, maybe a hint as it warms.

The taste follows the aroma but definitely has more of the espresso. The initial flavors are semi-sweet dark chocolate and the dark malt backbone. The finish brings on a bit of the espresso with a lingering bitterness through the finish and a nice burn down the throat from the booze.

The mouthfeel is spectacular - full bodied but very, very smooth. Completely decadent mouthfeel, like drinking a dessert.

This is another great version of the yeti and one that I enjoyed. I honestly could have used more coffee in this one, but it's still a great beer.

04-02-2009 02:56:38 | More by gford217
DrDogbeer

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a tulip at cellar temp. Pours a jet blac body with a good sized cola colored head. Beautiful beer. Smell is of chocolate at first, then I get the coffee, some vanilla and some alcohol. Taste is very complex. I get a ton of different flavors as I drink it. At first a ton of chocolate. Almost Kate-like. That stops as I continue to drink and I get a bunch of oak, bitter, bitter coffee and some alcohol burn. The bitterness dominates as I continue to drink, but I don't mind this. Mouthfeel is slick as can be with that much bitterness. Fairly full bodied, but not creamy. Good stout, one that I would try again.

04-01-2009 22:46:51 | More by DrDogbeer
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

A - pours ver dark, inky, black hole black, with two full fingers of chocolate milk froth type head

S - be sure not to drink this too cold, as it kills the aroma, as i let it warm, coffee aromas expound, a previous reviewer mentioned its like walking into a starbucks or some other gourment coffee shop and i agree with that sentiment, i also detect an alcohol bite, rich roasted coffee associated malts, hops are barely discernible, i cant pick out the vanilla/oak characteristics mentioned on the bottle

T - as one would expect, the coffee/espresso flavors do demand your attention in the entire taste experience, so does a background laced with alcohol sting, almost a whiskeyish alcohol note, there is a noticeable oaky/resiny/woody element to the finish, but to me it lacks the vanilla-esque sweetness associated with some oak aging, overall just too much of a alcohol element, it overwhelms

M&D - other than the alcohol overwhelming, some interesting notes, an intense flavors, just wish i could taste them

04-01-2009 20:58:03 | More by sinstaineddemon
angelmonster

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Ordered a snifter at the Great Divide Brewery Tap Room.

Pours a big 2 finger dark chocolate colored head. Body is pitch black and opaque. Head retention and lacing are good through out

Smell is very big on espresso and chocolate malt. The only way i could describe it to someone would be like walking into starbucks or the ground coffee aisle in a grocery store. Never have smelled anything like it. Hops are present but pretty low.

Taste is very similar to a frappuccino but with alcohol added. Lots of roasted, burnt malts that give it the thickness of a milkshake. Aftertaste is of some hops and a bit of alcohol

Head is nice and creamy. Body is rich, almost like a desert. Theres not a lot of carbonation but thats probably a good thing

Over all has lots of flavor, nice thick consistency but still highly drinkable. From where i sit i can see the fermenters making this brew, i kind of want to jump right in there and bathe in this delicious beer but the burns would prolly be pretty severe. So glad i live so close to the supply, could drink this everyday

04-01-2009 18:35:34 | More by angelmonster
YonderWanderer

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Black with brown overtones. A thin layer of dark tan foam. Medium lacing on the glass.

S: Coffee. Espresso. Hints of oak, chocolate, and vanilla.

T: This is fantastic. Coffee leads the way with a nice hit of espresso without being overpowering. Hints of chocolate and oak line the edges, with a nice roasted flavor coming through. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

M: Smooth and almost creamy. A hint of warming from the alcohol.

D: This is a fantastic stout. Great Divide has upped the Yeti even one further from the original oak aged version. Adding coffee has turned this into one incredible stout.

04-01-2009 00:29:50 | More by YonderWanderer
HopDerek

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottled on 2/13/09, picked up at Capone's, poured into my Great Divide snifter.

Pours a thick lightless dark, dark brownish black color with nice 2 fingers of foamy mocha and burnt tan head. Great lasting retention and some pretty impressive lacing, with a huge creamy ring at the very top. Smells of roasted malt, espresso, baker's chocolate, floral hops, oak, molasses, coffee, and slightly burnt brownies. Tastes of espresso right off the bat with some citrusy hops following close behind along with a touch of dark fruits like raisins and plum. Roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, and light vanilla notes make an appearance as does some nuttiness, anise, and wet oak before a finish of charred coffee grounds and bitter hops. Full to medium full in body with moderate carbonation. Thick, smooth, and creamy but with a chewy finish, hides a majority of its ABV well. Not overly coffee'd out, just a nice extra push from regular Oak Aged Yeti to incorporate more balance into it. A nice Imperial stout, but a little on the bitter side. Easy to drink but not frequently, maybe with age it will mellow out a bit.

03-30-2009 20:47:32 | More by HopDerek