Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,478 | Reviews: 1,032
4.67/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer surprised me. I was at Cable Beverage looking around and I spotted this. I'd never tried it myself but I'd heard good things so I scopped it up. Damn glad I did, Luved it. Excellent pour with deep flavor. Highly recommend.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

bottled on dec 19, 2011, purchased from tyler's bottle shop, downtown raleigh.

aggressive pour to bring the head out, pours like motor oil.

a. opaque black, nice brownish head, which disappears fast, leaving heavy lace.

s. not as strong coffee aroma as you'd expect considering the coffee addition. smells like coffee though. faint amount of oak scent comes through as it warms up a bit.

t. sweet, but not too sweet. definitely taste the coffee/espresso. not overwhelmingly boozy considering abv. absolutely delicious though, and gets better as it approaches room temp. oak comes through ever so slightly as it warms as well.

m. chewy, thick, wonderful. perfectly carb'd

o. I wish I could drink this with breakfast as the bottle suggests, but I couldn't wait to dig in. overall, I think this beer is every bit as good as founders breakfast. if you like coffee stouts, this one is great, I hope to find it on draft to try again... and maybe get a couple bottles to age. all the yeti's I've had so far have been awesome, but this one may take the cake. would love to have some crime brûlée to pair, as the bottle suggests.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

A-pours oily black with a nice sticky tan head

S-definitely a nice mix of oak and espresso as well as rich chocolate. Also a very noticeable hop presence as well, makes it a tad grassy. Good strong scent.

T-comes in with a great oak flavor along with a rich flavor of chocolate espresso. The oak is definitely most prominent here. It is long lasting with an awesome matching after-taste. Great flavors, nothing off.

M-thick and creamy with a dry finish

O-this has got to be one of the best easily obtainable stouts out there. I'm extremely impressed. The oak flavor is done so well, it's very prominent yet it isn't overdone. It's got so much flavor to it that I can imagine drinking this as a meal. Great drinkability, alcohol isn't noticeable

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%

Split with Pwoods and Kels on 5/10/09 -- gotta love the generosity :) Poured into snifter glasses from the bottle.

Appearance: Pours near black; no light coming through this at all; firm 1 1/2 finger head that is mocha colored; looks thick and viscous; a thin and spotty lacing holds slightly to the glass.

Smell: Strong scent of espresso (as there very well should be) and strong rich dark chocolate and well-roasted malts; I would dare say this is a deep dark fruit (perhaps cherry - like the original yeti?) buried in there; just a little smokey as well. The smell is making very excited to drink this.

Taste: Wow - pretty much dominated by the espresso factor (like ground up beans were stirred directly into my glass) - amazing. Bittersweet chocolate is also very present; the wood is definitely present as well and comes across a bit smokey; firm presence of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Rich and thick like a milkshake - very warm in the mouth, chest and breath; gums are left tingly; sits very thick in the mouth and leaves it a bit coated. Very nice overall.

Drinkability: The only factor that would lower the drinkability of this beer is the ABV as it clocks at 9.5% - but it so worth it. This was an amazing desert to a very well-cooked meal and I very much would have enjoyed a second helping (mostly because I wasn't driving).

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. First glance shows a very nice brownish tinted black color and thick khaki colored head that stays till the end; even though reduced only to a layer of carbonation bubbles by that point. Roast, maybe some ash, and of course the coffee dominate the nose. The espresso coffee is extremely upfront and noticeable on the taste buds mixing with roast and smokey ash as it finishes. Smooth, slick mouthfeel and quite easy to drink is what this brew has to offer. In the end, as a chocolate stout lover, I found the coffee too strong for my liking but I still really enjoyed indulging in this stout. So glad I found and had the chance to try it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on March 05, 2009.

(A)- Pours thick & black as night. Produced an incredibly large & fluffy/billowy dark brown head that isnt going anywhere; its clinging to every inch of the sides of the glass as it barely dissipates.

(S)- Rich vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, raisin, butterscotch, & a spice I cant pinpoint; cinnamon?(Must be from the Oak). Simply gorgeous & wonderful. Just the tiniest hint of roasted coffee grounds.

(T)- Not much espresso in this, but has a great mildly sweet molasses & brown sugar maltiness that melds into a delicate dry oaky vanilla finish. Dynamic and silky smooth with no harshness; just a bit of roastedness in the middle.

(M)- One of the smoothest stouts I may have ever had. Fantastic alcohol integration & balance. Not too sweet, not too malty, not too bitter, just a perfect combination that is layered here and there.

(D)- Simply a remarkable stout! I am slightly disappointed that there isnt much espresso in this, but I quickly forgot that when I smelled and tasted this. Simply amazing! This bottle did not last long at all! Every Yeti I have had has been fantastic, but this one with almost a year of age on it is nearly orgasmic. I am excited to see what further aging will do to it. Now. . . where can I find a case?

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I originally bought this beer for my cousin as he is a lover of imperial stouts and my beer store told me this one was a keeper and I trust so 1 is in the cellar now. So my review is as so...

A: black and rich, this beer could drown out the lights of heaven. Originally about .25" head but after a severe pour, no tilting, I finally find my head!(1.5" of beautiful chocolate color)

S: Definite coffee and roasted malts, they just have no way to even try to hide, espresso stout was the name and coffee wasn't an option. Upon being a bomber and a half in I find more fruitiness along the lines of dark tree fruit; ie... black cherry, plum, etc...

T: Like I said in aroma the espresso is no joke and the oak is almost impossible to trace. Also like I mentioned prior being about 30 ozs in now the oak is there, but subtly. After all being professionals as most BA's strive for, the fruitiness is there slightly, but I wouldn't say killed by the strong flavors of coffee and Imperial stout, to be completely honest they accentuate them.

M: A lingering flavor which I'm not sure should be typed here or in taste, alas it is my review so f*** off(JP!)! I'd say maybe slightly under whole milk for the weight, and a tangy acidity that grabs the inside of the cheeks. With my rating though it's obviously in a good way!

D: A good dessert beer, in many European countries they drink coffee or espresso at the end of a meal, probably would do very well with a very nicely charred smokey brisket(Texas style). I'd like to find this next to my cheesecake. Actually a pairing with something as rich as a classic cherry cheesecake would be perfect, but there are many other options out there, just choose something more dominant as the flavor does tend to linger. All in all an amazing beer and I cheers to the Great Divide with a Houblon Chouffe glass of their finest!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black, nut brown fluffy head over an inch, slow dissipation.

Nose is rich chocolate, coffee, caramel, oats and oak.

Tastes of light chocolate, caramel, and potent flavorful espresso coffee. The coffee is prominent but not acidic and comes across smoothly.

Full, thick body with creamy tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

Fantastic, one of the best stouts I can think of. Hides its strength well, goes down smooth, a sipper that you have to fight gulping, which is rare in a stout. Would have this again and again and I hope to try the other variations soon.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark black like oil, frothy brown head with great lacing

S - some oak, chocolate, sweat malt, but mostly coffee.

T - Lot's espresso bean with roasty malts, smooth chocolate. Well blended

M - Full body, good carbonation, smooth, nice hop finish

O - Wow, what a beer! A must try! Really Really good

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a 12 oz snifter.
A- motor oil with a dark khaki head, great lacing down the snifter.
S- espresso dominates with alcohol pushing through.
T- delicious. espresso upfront with a soft malted toffee sweetness and an alcohol warmth. the bitter espresso and the toffee sweetness dance back and forth on the tastebuds long after the sip
M- this is one thick creamy stout.
D- a nightcap sipper that i could have 3 of. this is by far one of my favorite stouts of any variety

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Served on draft at Blue Monk in small snifter glass. Dark Black with a small creme head, frothy like expresso.

Smell-Notes of burnt expresso and dark chocolate coming through.

Taste-surprisingly not boozy at all for 9.5ABV. The Expresso taste is there but not overwhelming, also the Oak taste is well balanced with the expresso coming through and they compliment each other perfectly. This was my first beer of the night and three days later I am still thinking about it.

Mouthfeel-nice finish, not overpowering and each time I felt a little more coming through.

Fantastic Beer for those that love Oak aged and or Expresso/Coffee beers. I found it to have an amazing drinkability for such a unique beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint.

A: Black body with almost an inch of dense, creamy brown foam. Great retention and lots of lace. Beautiful stout.

S: Really brings the espresso - coffee, sweet maltiness, more coffee, some oaky vanilla, and more coffee. Wonderful.

T: Follows the nose precisely, and deliciously. Lots of dry oak on the finish, and no noticeable booze. Fantastic.

M: Rich, full, sticky, and alive with explosively creamy carbonation. Lovely.

D: For the strength and intensity of flavor, this one goes down in a hurry.

Notes: Just as Oak Aged Yeti is a dramatic improvement over the regular version, the Espresso OA is an improvement over the simple OA. Big, rich, creamy, and full of coffee goodness, this is truly a world-class stout. I need to have a coffee stout tasting with this, Speedway, FBS, and Péché Mortel. I just love them so much more than either regular stouts or regular coffee.

Cheers!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bomber dated 1/10/12. poured into snifter.

A: pours jet black. nice tan head. fades after about minute to a nice tan ring. pretty good lacing.

S: chocolate, coffee, oak, vanilla, leather maybe? coffee is not as strong on the nose as i would have anticipated.

T: I was afraid the coffee would have faded considering the bottle is 13 months old. I was wrong. Very forward coffee. Lots of chocolate. slight vanilla (less than in oaked yeti in my opinion)

M: Very nice. Smooth, creamy, very well carbonated.

O: very good beer.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

My full review and pictures of the appearance and lacing is linked at the bottom, fresh off the tap to enhance the experience. Plus a poll so you can give feedback on your impressions. Blog is linked back to beeradvocate reviews.

Appearance: Deep copper head, with no daylight coming through. Deep black coloration.

Aroma: The espresso is certainly dominant, certainly has a breakfast hint to it. Vanilla and slightly smoked notes are discernible.

Taste: Intense espresso flavor. Very roasty, rich and malty. Hoppy, but subtle. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and very complex along the way.

Lacing: Uneven spiral down the glass, but pretty. The lacing is solid.

Finish: Surprisingly smooth considering the bold body. You get more of the oak-barrel flavor and vanilla notes prevailing in the end, which counteracts the intial hoppy character.

Overall: This is simply a fantastic beer. This certainly cracks my top 10 beers that I have had (I've tried many). The beer is very complex overall and has a high ABV, yet the alcohol is masked and the more interesting characteristics are prevalent in the body and finish. There really aren't many weaknesses in this beer, minus a slightly over the top espresso aroma. Still, this beer is a must have and I would order it every time.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A- Wow! Fudge and dark chocolate with a an absolutely beautiful cream colored head that reminds me of a cloud sitting on top of my beer. Leaves beautiful lacing with nice head retention.

S- Getting a lot of different aromas in this. Aside from the espresso scent, there is plenty of malt and oak abound. Also getting a slight hops aroma, which is more than welcomed.

T- Damn this is one tasty treat. The espresso flavor blends perfectly with the coffee, chocolate malt base. I can't even begin to express as to how surprised I was with this one. The beer finishes with a hint of hops.

M- Almost perfect. Medium to heavy bodied with decent carbonation. If this was a little thicker it would have been heavenly.

D- Drinkability? I'm questioning why I only bought one bottle of this.

Overall, kudos to Great Divide for making this fantastic beers. Easily my favorite beer by them and one of the best beer I have recently had. Definitely recommended!

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle purchased at Beers of the World in Rochester, NY.

Pours a thick, dark, motor oil style black. Puffy one inch coffee colored head forms, with spots of foam down the glass as I drink.

Smells like bright, just brewed esresso, chocolate, and darkly roasted malt.

Tastes like bitter espresso, sweet milk chocolate, vanilla (likely from the oak-aging), a bit of oak, and some slight hop bitterness.

Full, sludgy mouthfeel. Lightly carbonated.

The best Yeti variant I've had yet. One of the purest coffee expressions in beer I've had. So thick, and so good.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours pitch black with a moderately thick, dark tan head that left good lacing. First smell comes off very sweet with lots of vanilla and caramel or toffee. The oak is definitely there too but I did expect a bigger espresso presence but was instead very subtle. First taste was all oak aged bourbon and deep roasted coffee. Thick and syrupy that coats your mouth in delicious flavor. They really did one-up the original yeti which was already one of my favorite beers. As always, I would love to age this to see where it goes but it's much harder to put such awesome brews away in storage than it is to just pop the top off and drink them. This is an excellent beer.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

I had this on tap at the Great Divide Brewery. The espresso roast coffee beans are provided by Pablo's, which is a local coffee shop.

A - Pitch...Black. No seriously, I'm pretty sure it absorbs all wavelengths of visible light. The head is a nice dark caramel/tan color with minimal lacing.

S - Pretty much what you'd think. Imagine if you got a shot of espresso and added an ounce of chinook hop pellets to it. Now imagine if you added a little bit of caramel syrup to that. It's so warm and inviting you have to take a sip.

T - The oak tannins hit you first like if you hit a wall. That oak wall quickly fades to the espresso/coffee flavor, and that quickly fades to the deep, dark roasted barley and/or carafa taste. If you like to dive into a deep dark cup of coffee, then this is the right beer for you. They do a masterful job of balancing the coffee and the roasted barley flavors. The oak mellows it out really well.

M - Thick, but not obstructive. Enough oily texture to coat your tongue with the flavor, but then it quickly melts away.

D - This is a great dessert beer. Either as a liquid dessert or as part of a regular dessert. I'd just love to pour this over a couple of scoops of vanilla gelato.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Thick, thick cocoa head. Took 4 pours to fill oversized wine glass. Lacing is very heavy and sparkling like it has diamonds in it. Could be because I don't usually drink beer 10 am.

S: Burnt coffee and strong chocolate notes.

T: Beautiful sweet chocolate taste that does overpower the coffee just enough to edge it out into the sweet and malty side. Bit of a hop bite in the aftertaste but more coffee aftertaste than anything.

M: Nice carbonation. Better than most RIS as this one just seems thicker to me than most.

D: I could drink on this stuff all day. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Maybe even midnight snack.

My first oak aged brew and it didn't disappoint at all. This edges out Old Raspy and Founders IMO. If you are a fan of the style then I highly recommend this.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber bottled on 1/08/15 into a footed stout glass. Fridge temp and allowed it to slowly come up to cellar temp.

Pitch black with no translucency. Two inch mocha head that dissipates within a few minutes. Sticky lacing that slowly creeps and reappears with each sip.

Smells upfront dark chocolate, toffee, dark fruit, vanilla, earthy and strong espresso.

Tastes of chocolate, malty, vanilla, roasted espresso and ends slightly bitter and a hint of oak. ABV masked well.

Creamy mouth feel, moderately oily and medium bodied.

One of my favorite coffee stouts and and would put it right next tho FBS. I cant find to much wrong with this one.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Bomber poured into goblet.

Appearance: Dark, dark, fertile earth black. The head is a beautiful burnt caramel, which lazily clings to the glass.

Smell: Dark roasted coffee beans, crumbled baker's chocolate, and molasses.

Taste: Bitter, roasted coffee beans and baker's chocolate. Almost exactly mirrors the aroma. It's such a perfect and bold mixture of the coffee, bitter chocolate, and molasses flavors, with a touch of hops twang to keep it from dredging too far--balanced with a heavy emphasis on roastiness.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: Poured into a snifter with a nice two fingers of mocha colored head. That leaves behind very nice lacing. On to the color this beast of a beer is sinister black. Nothing but pure darkness.

Aroma: As the sweet molasses looms over all the aromas it lets other roam freely. The espresso,burnt sugars, cocao, and all those dark roasted malts that give off such a sweet aroma.

Taste: Well a nuke of flavor. Tons of dark roasted malty goodness. With burnt sugar and even darker roasted hops that have a slight bit of smokiness. Chocolate malts wtih the molasses go so very well with each other. A nice bit of hop bitterness on the tail end to round it out. With a creamy and full bodied mouthfeel.

Notes: There very well may be a yeti inside this brew it got turned into a tidal wave of nectar. Cheers.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle...less coffee, more oak

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Bright espresso black with a pillowy tan to brown 1” persistent foam cap that grips the side of the glass.
S: Espresso with traces of coffee and faint vanilla.
T: Rich malt with sweet cocoa and vanilla balance with the roast flavors form the malt and the added espresso.
F: Creamy silky smooth with a big body and ine soft carbonation.
O: A delightful beer that improves with age for at least three years.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter. Jet black with a thick brown head that sticks around. Smells of rich chocolate and espresso, caramel, as well as oak. The oak seems to bring out some hop smells as well. A bit of alcohol comes through in the smell too. Taste is dark roasted malts, sweet chocolate and bitter espresso, and some oak smoothness at the end. Mouthfeel is big and creamy. This is a great stout, would be great with dessert.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company