Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros

DrBier, Jul 27, 2014

Zaphog, Feb 05, 2012

PEIhop, Nov 24, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle courtesy of MasterSki, split with my girlfriend into two tulips. Bottled on February 12, 2010.

Pours a few shades off black, three fingers of light brown head. Mild retention and great lace. Nose of dark fruits, light vanilla and oak. Some espresso and dark chocolate when I dug a bit deeper into this, I suspect it's faded a bit. Light notes of alcohol. Taste is more prominent in terms of oak and vanilla initially, leading into some milk and dark chocolate. Some citrus hops in the late finish, coming long after the dry espresso and lingering bitterness it have long gone. Good heavy medium body, and drinkability and enjoyable overall. Thanks Alex.

liamt07, Feb 28, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Thanks snojerk321! Appears dark brown, nearly black, with a light brown head and good retention.

The aroma is initially espresso and cocoa, but beneath that is dark unsweetened chocolate. The oak is pervasive, and there are notes of roasted malt.

The flavor is pretty dominated by coffee and the malt is more roasted than in the aroma. The chocolate is dark and there's a medium level of bitterness. The finish is coffee with some acrid roasted bitterness that lingers.

Full bodied with a high level of carbonation.

HopHead84, Jun 26, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

On-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours completely black with a one-finger brown head that slowly dissipates into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of lightly roasted coffee with roasted malts. There's also a hint of unsweetened chocolate as the beer warms. Not quite the bouquet I was hoping for, but still solid.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Roasted coffee up front is joined by roasted malt flavors. Near the end of the sip a bit of earthiness comes in from the oak along with unsweetened chocolate. The ending is full of bitter coffee flavors that linger for a bit. I wasn't terribly impressed with the first third of the beer, but it definitely comes into its own as it warms.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very good thickness, but the carbonation was a bit on the heavy side. I'll definitely try this at a later date and see if it's the same from a bottle.

Drinkability is good. Despite the high carbonation, I still finished this very quickly and could go for a few more.

Overall this is very good, though I like the regular Oak Aged a bit better. Still, for coffee fans this is a beer that definitely warrants trying, and for that matter it warrants trying for anyone.

glid02, Mar 07, 2009

rolltide8425, Feb 25, 2013

ShanePB, Feb 22, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Bottled Mar 19, 2010. Poured into 10oz glass. I just reviewed the Oak-Aged Yeti yesterday and most of what I said about that applies here. The obvious difference is the espresso. I don't like coffee so this brew had a built in disadvantage.

All the big flavors that I liked about the OAY are here, they are just overwhelmed by the dominant coffee. The finish was bitter due to the coffee and those burnt flavors lingered.

If you like coffee beers, you'll love this. If not, just stick with the OAY.

beertunes, Jun 05, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tumbler pint, the beer is a jet black coloring that looks viscous and smooth, with a thick, foamy, dense, dark chocolate colored head. Pours beautifully, and looks delicious. Aromas are heavy in mocha coffee, with a dark, bitter characteristic to it, as well as a highlight of sweet, creamy chocolate. Flavors are super bitter, with a hint of the alcohol into the roof of the mouth and the sinuses. The palate is completely coffee based, with a strong, roasted, dark presence throughout that is heavy in espresso, with an earthy and woody balancing undertone. Minimal cling that slips down the glass slowly while you drink, catching up to the surface of the remaining beer if left for more than a minute. The aftertaste has the roast coffee and bitterness of spent coffee grounds, with a somewhat drying effect. The finish is rich, robust, and eerily similar to a pressed espresso lingering behing on the palate, with a boozy kick.

GarthDanielson, Feb 11, 2012

Bottle opened on 10.25.13
Bottled: Jan 14 2011

A - Pours a dark brown with a dark brown silky head with good retention.

S - Subtle coffee, chocolate, wood.

T - Coffee and a oaky punch to the mouth.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - Lots of coffee and oak. A bit of a sharp finish.

HuskyinPDX, Dec 16, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

I was introduced to this one at EBF and was blown away, so when I saw this in a bottle I had to buy some.

Pours a solid black with a creamy tan head that doesn't persist for very long, but leaves lots of lace on the way down. Smells of citrus hops, coffee, vanilla, oak, roasted grains. Taste is much like the smell. Citrus hops followed by a touch of alcohol, some roasted coffee and slight chocolate, oak and vanilla followed by a lingering roast hop and alcohol finish. Theres a lot going on here and its all tasty. Carbonation is low to medium, mouthfeel is oily/creamy, body is thick like tar. Great Imperial stout! The coffee is there, but its subtle enough to not be in your face like some other coffee brews. I wish it were a little cheaper so I could afford to drink it more, but at 11.99 a bomber I may not enjoy this one regularly.

johnnnniee, May 26, 2009

Pours a oil-slick black color with a very thick brown head that fades down to a one-finger head.

Aroma is creamy with a good dose of coffee in the nose. A bit of chocolate shows underneath the nose as well. I can't smell any oak but otherwise, very nice aroma.

Taste is creamy upfront and gives way to dark fruits and cocoa in the middle. Wow. The coffee character is here but it in no way overwhelms the other flavors. Wow. Again, I'm impressed here.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering bitter coffee, cream and chocolate flavors.

Holy Shit! I'm so glad I picked this up. I love the flavors and the mouthfeel is just where I like it. It's got the right amount of creaminess and the other flavors seem well balanced as well. I'm not sure if you can do better than this. Would improve even more with age. Very, very, very nice. I will be seeking this out the next time I go to Mass.

Don't worry about the rating. This is one hell of a beer that deserves its' marks. I can't wait to open the bottles of 2007 Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti that I have.

Brad007, Apr 26, 2009

iL0VEbeer, Mar 09, 2012

tobelerone, Mar 07, 2014
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Great Divide bomber, capped and corked, $9.99 in Columbus. Bottled on Feb 13, 2009, less than 2 months ago.

The beer is dark brown, not quite black, with a thick tan froth that looks perfect on the pour (tons of bubbles cascading up through the beer, just the way I like a RIS). The smell is a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, not nearly as rich as I'd expect from a beer marketed as "Espresso oak aged". I didn't smell any coffee, maybe no oak either, this just smelled like yeti. The taste was better, I got the oak and chocolate (still no coffee), and lots of roasted malt. Astringently bitter which might be pleasing for others but I like RISs to be sweeter. Good body and mouthfeel, substantial. Overall a bit of a disappointment for $10, I had hoped for more coffee and more massiveness.

TurdFurgison, Apr 03, 2009

THECPJ, Jan 21, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +3%

on-tap, the Publican (Seattle), paired with brisket hash

appearance: served in a 12oz short shaker-esque glass, nearly ebony body, 1/4" creamy mocha cap with some sticky lace

smell: espresso, charred malt, dark chocolate, oak, green leafy

taste: Rich and decadent - dark chocolate, espresso and cream, charred malt, lots of roasted oats, fresh green hops, molasses, rich warming alcohol presence

mouthfeel: rich, velvety, heavy on the roast with a twist of fresh hops

overall: great stuff - not sure why i was never able to find this in the midwest, but glad i finally did

dirtylou, Jan 22, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Black with a nice khaki head. Excellent retention and nice legs.

Smell - Heavily roasted malt. Grassy aromas. Coffee. Dark chocolate.

Taste - Bitter burnt malt flavor up front. Grassy flavors just behind it. Bitter character before a subtler coffee flavor comes in.

Mouthfeel - Overly bitter for me. Bitter and dry. It could use with some creaminess and a bit more body.

Overall - My least favorite of the Yeti series, besides infected bottles of BA Yeti. Leaves a dry bitter coffee flavor without the rich components I'd like to get from it.

Alieniloquium, Feb 02, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

drummermattie02, Dec 12, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 18/4/12

A much like the original version this one's black with a large three finger dark tan head that has great retention but this version leaves just some random patches of lace opposed to distinct rings

S chocolate syrup and coco, vanilla, booze, faint citric hops, and not as much espresso as I expected, smells pretty good though with some chocolate pudding

T what I smell but with a heavy blast of espresso, massive even, I'm amazed how much more espresso I taste compared to the smell, cold coffee on the finish almost reminds me of the coffee candies I find in Vietnamese restaurants around here, some dark roast char and wood work well with the espresso

M full but not as full as I would guess from how dark it is, just enough bubbles to give it some life and a little heat, finish is burnt wood and coffee and it lingers for ages

O pretty well rounded stuff going on here, rich, roasted and intense, not quite a Peche Mortal but not too far off

I'm pretty happy with all the Yeti stouts sent by the most awesome Rutager, all solid brews I'd want to drink again and age, I'm wondering how long I'm going to be awake or if there's enough booze in this to put me to sleep

wordemupg, Apr 19, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Black as sin color with a great brown head and even some spotty lacing. Looks pretty carbonated for the style by the foaming I can see on top.

Dry espresso with powdered cacao. No cream aromas to mention. Also lots of super roasted to almost burnt malt aromas. Not to mention some warmth from the abv%. Smells like a dry sipper.

Dry palate from the start that subsides a little at the finish. This beer is burnt bread crust, dark coffee, and some black chocolare powder. Dry, maybe even a little acidic as it warms. Plus the abv% heat. But still a good sipper.

I could not taste any oak or wood flavor in this beer. I wonder what this yeti "WOOD" taste like without the chips???? I think mostly the same.

scruffwhor, Jun 20, 2012

xnicknj, Nov 20, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip. Bottled on 12/19/11.

Appearance: impenetrable black hue with a thick, creamy head of dark tan foam. A nice lace is left on the glass, too; quite good indeed.

Smell: rich coffee aroma is very good, but it's a bit one-note and lacking in complexity. Still, very enticing.

Taste: coffee flavor is just as big as the aroma, and there is some underlying chocolate and alcohol complexity. Toward the end there is a vegetal quality from the hops which I don't love. Bitterness is right and the end and is just the right level. Oak contribution seems pretty mild. Quite good, but I would like more contribution from the non-coffee characteristics.

Mouthfeel: extremely silky with a nice underlying creaminess. Big body; while the carbonation seems low, it is well-integrated and plays very well with the thick mouthfeel. Great.

Overall: a tasty and satisfying imperial stout, though I would like a little more oak and yeti and maybe a little less espresso.

flagmantho, Apr 07, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +3%

One year old properly cellared bottle. Poured into a Gulden Draak flute. Pours jet black with a fine one finger, medium brown head with good retention and lacing. Nice looking. Aroma of chocolate, coffee, dark malts, slight oak and cherry. Taste is complex; coffee, rasted and smoky malt, chocolate, changing to a drier woody, neutral malt and finishing with a coffee bitterness with and oaky dryness Finish just a little dry allowing the bitterness to overwhelm the malt. Medium creamy body, but very nicely made and interesting. Excellent stout.

LiquidAmber, Mar 03, 2012