Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
billab914

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter. Poured pitch black with a one finger mocha head. The head faded away after a bit but it did leave some good lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a big coffee and roasted malt bitterness coming through. It also has a pretty big dark bitter chocolate present in the nose. Very big bold and delicious nose on this one for sure.

The taste not surprisingly has a big coffee espresso taste to it. The chocolate malts really help to smooth out the flavor and cut the coffee bitterness a little. The bitterness of the coffee comes through more in the finish. It has a lot of bold flavors but they really come together well and make for an excellent flavor.

Mouthfeel is on the thicker side with lower carbonation. It has a very nice creamy mouthfeel to it that I really like in my stouts. Drinkability is good, despite the bold espresso flavors it really is a pretty smooth and delicious beer. Excellent imperial stout in my opinion.

04-03-2010 00:36:06 | More by billab914
chinchill

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

served from a 22oz bottle, suspected of being a bit colder than optimum. Sampled just after a New Belgium Lips of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout (NBICCS).
Pours black and opaque with a durable tan head.
An extreme beer with loads of flavor, mainly from the roasted malts and expresso.
Notably sweeter, especially in the aftertaste than the NBICCS, which I found too bitter from the finish on. Plenty of oak in the nose but less in the flavor which still has a noticeable oak note.

{Review tweaked with on-tap tasting in March 2013. Excellent and aroma and mouthfeel compared to memory/notes from bottle.]

02-13-2013 01:18:27 | More by chinchill
Brad007

Vermont

Pours a oil-slick black color with a very thick brown head that fades down to a one-finger head.

Aroma is creamy with a good dose of coffee in the nose. A bit of chocolate shows underneath the nose as well. I can't smell any oak but otherwise, very nice aroma.

Taste is creamy upfront and gives way to dark fruits and cocoa in the middle. Wow. The coffee character is here but it in no way overwhelms the other flavors. Wow. Again, I'm impressed here.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering bitter coffee, cream and chocolate flavors.

Holy Shit! I'm so glad I picked this up. I love the flavors and the mouthfeel is just where I like it. It's got the right amount of creaminess and the other flavors seem well balanced as well. I'm not sure if you can do better than this. Would improve even more with age. Very, very, very nice. I will be seeking this out the next time I go to Mass.

Don't worry about the rating. This is one hell of a beer that deserves its' marks. I can't wait to open the bottles of 2007 Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti that I have.

04-26-2009 03:47:35 | More by Brad007
HopHead84

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Thanks snojerk321! Appears dark brown, nearly black, with a light brown head and good retention.

The aroma is initially espresso and cocoa, but beneath that is dark unsweetened chocolate. The oak is pervasive, and there are notes of roasted malt.

The flavor is pretty dominated by coffee and the malt is more roasted than in the aroma. The chocolate is dark and there's a medium level of bitterness. The finish is coffee with some acrid roasted bitterness that lingers.

Full bodied with a high level of carbonation.

06-26-2009 08:19:15 | More by HopHead84
THECPJ

Delaware

01-21-2013 18:30:02 | More by THECPJ
dirtylou

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

on-tap, the Publican (Seattle), paired with brisket hash

appearance: served in a 12oz short shaker-esque glass, nearly ebony body, 1/4" creamy mocha cap with some sticky lace

smell: espresso, charred malt, dark chocolate, oak, green leafy

taste: Rich and decadent - dark chocolate, espresso and cream, charred malt, lots of roasted oats, fresh green hops, molasses, rich warming alcohol presence

mouthfeel: rich, velvety, heavy on the roast with a twist of fresh hops

overall: great stuff - not sure why i was never able to find this in the midwest, but glad i finally did

01-22-2012 01:29:43 | More by dirtylou
TurdFurgison

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Great Divide bomber, capped and corked, $9.99 in Columbus. Bottled on Feb 13, 2009, less than 2 months ago.

The beer is dark brown, not quite black, with a thick tan froth that looks perfect on the pour (tons of bubbles cascading up through the beer, just the way I like a RIS). The smell is a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, not nearly as rich as I'd expect from a beer marketed as "Espresso oak aged". I didn't smell any coffee, maybe no oak either, this just smelled like yeti. The taste was better, I got the oak and chocolate (still no coffee), and lots of roasted malt. Astringently bitter which might be pleasing for others but I like RISs to be sweeter. Good body and mouthfeel, substantial. Overall a bit of a disappointment for $10, I had hoped for more coffee and more massiveness.

04-03-2009 20:00:15 | More by TurdFurgison

11-20-2011 18:43:53 | More by xnicknj
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

650ml bomber poured into tulip 18/4/12

A much like the original version this one's black with a large three finger dark tan head that has great retention but this version leaves just some random patches of lace opposed to distinct rings

S chocolate syrup and coco, vanilla, booze, faint citric hops, and not as much espresso as I expected, smells pretty good though with some chocolate pudding

T what I smell but with a heavy blast of espresso, massive even, I'm amazed how much more espresso I taste compared to the smell, cold coffee on the finish almost reminds me of the coffee candies I find in Vietnamese restaurants around here, some dark roast char and wood work well with the espresso

M full but not as full as I would guess from how dark it is, just enough bubbles to give it some life and a little heat, finish is burnt wood and coffee and it lingers for ages

O pretty well rounded stuff going on here, rich, roasted and intense, not quite a Peche Mortal but not too far off

I'm pretty happy with all the Yeti stouts sent by the most awesome Rutager, all solid brews I'd want to drink again and age, I'm wondering how long I'm going to be awake or if there's enough booze in this to put me to sleep

04-19-2012 06:24:23 | More by wordemupg
scruffwhor

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Black as sin color with a great brown head and even some spotty lacing. Looks pretty carbonated for the style by the foaming I can see on top.

Dry espresso with powdered cacao. No cream aromas to mention. Also lots of super roasted to almost burnt malt aromas. Not to mention some warmth from the abv%. Smells like a dry sipper.

Dry palate from the start that subsides a little at the finish. This beer is burnt bread crust, dark coffee, and some black chocolare powder. Dry, maybe even a little acidic as it warms. Plus the abv% heat. But still a good sipper.

I could not taste any oak or wood flavor in this beer. I wonder what this yeti "WOOD" taste like without the chips???? I think mostly the same.

06-20-2012 04:41:58 | More by scruffwhor
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

I was introduced to this one at EBF and was blown away, so when I saw this in a bottle I had to buy some.

Pours a solid black with a creamy tan head that doesn't persist for very long, but leaves lots of lace on the way down. Smells of citrus hops, coffee, vanilla, oak, roasted grains. Taste is much like the smell. Citrus hops followed by a touch of alcohol, some roasted coffee and slight chocolate, oak and vanilla followed by a lingering roast hop and alcohol finish. Theres a lot going on here and its all tasty. Carbonation is low to medium, mouthfeel is oily/creamy, body is thick like tar. Great Imperial stout! The coffee is there, but its subtle enough to not be in your face like some other coffee brews. I wish it were a little cheaper so I could afford to drink it more, but at 11.99 a bomber I may not enjoy this one regularly.

05-26-2009 22:32:40 | More by johnnnniee
tobelerone

Connecticut

03-07-2014 23:44:26 | More by tobelerone
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle courtesy of MasterSki, split with my girlfriend into two tulips. Bottled on February 12, 2010.

Pours a few shades off black, three fingers of light brown head. Mild retention and great lace. Nose of dark fruits, light vanilla and oak. Some espresso and dark chocolate when I dug a bit deeper into this, I suspect it's faded a bit. Light notes of alcohol. Taste is more prominent in terms of oak and vanilla initially, leading into some milk and dark chocolate. Some citrus hops in the late finish, coming long after the dry espresso and lingering bitterness it have long gone. Good heavy medium body, and drinkability and enjoyable overall. Thanks Alex.

02-28-2011 00:05:40 | More by liamt07
GarthDanielson

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tumbler pint, the beer is a jet black coloring that looks viscous and smooth, with a thick, foamy, dense, dark chocolate colored head. Pours beautifully, and looks delicious. Aromas are heavy in mocha coffee, with a dark, bitter characteristic to it, as well as a highlight of sweet, creamy chocolate. Flavors are super bitter, with a hint of the alcohol into the roof of the mouth and the sinuses. The palate is completely coffee based, with a strong, roasted, dark presence throughout that is heavy in espresso, with an earthy and woody balancing undertone. Minimal cling that slips down the glass slowly while you drink, catching up to the surface of the remaining beer if left for more than a minute. The aftertaste has the roast coffee and bitterness of spent coffee grounds, with a somewhat drying effect. The finish is rich, robust, and eerily similar to a pressed espresso lingering behing on the palate, with a boozy kick.

02-11-2012 02:06:16 | More by GarthDanielson
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 9.5% ABV, food (mostly breakfast!) pairings suggested, Bottled on Mar 06 2009.

Thanks to sweemzander for picking one of these up in MI for me!

A - Pours completely black with no light shining through in the least. A dark tan head springs up with good retention. Tiny patchy lace is left on the glass.

S - Smooth, not ridiculously bitter espresso coffee in the nose with a bittersweet chocolate aroma. A hint of hops comes through with the very roasted malt aroma.

T - Strong roasted dark espresso. Almost Starbucks-like in burnt-ness. The huge roasted malt profile behind the big coffee flavor is reminiscent of burnt toast.

M - Full-bodied and dry with an acrid bitter finish, it's smooth going down and not hot or boozy at all.

D - A little huge on the coffee, it's a roasted bitter that's a little strong. The alcohol kicks you later on but it's mostly hidden.

11-10-2010 22:55:53 | More by BeerFMAndy
HuskyinPDX

Washington

Bottle opened on 10.25.13
Bottled: Jan 14 2011

A - Pours a dark brown with a dark brown silky head with good retention.

S - Subtle coffee, chocolate, wood.

T - Coffee and a oaky punch to the mouth.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - Lots of coffee and oak. A bit of a sharp finish.

12-16-2013 06:12:21 | More by HuskyinPDX
jrallen34

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

I drank this on tap, into a tulip at the Map Room.

The beer is black, with a remarkable three finger of thick foamy head. There is great retention and excellent lacing, lasting several minutes and fully coating the side of the glass as it falls.

The aroma is really strong but mostly on the same note. There is tons of coffee here, but its a nice coffee that isn't just bitter, sweetness and complexity. At the end only a hint of the oak.

The taste is also just one note of really smooth coffee. This is perfect for a big coffee drinker, but if your not a little boring. The finishes kind of detracks from the beer as it is an intense bitter coffee which almost killed what I was enjoying.

Overall, this was a very good, but not great coffee stout. I wish it had a little more sweet in the start and oak on the end to balance out the coffee.

04-11-2010 13:59:21 | More by jrallen34
ShanePB

02-22-2013 18:18:26 | More by ShanePB
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/11/11

*The bottling date printed on the label is 2/12/10 (I've personally cellared it for almost a year)

A: This is one evil looking Yeti - it's a total blackout. A somewhat forceful pour yields a 2.25 finger head and some killer dark chocolatey brown lacing.

S: It's like the alarm sounded and the coffee's brewing. Fresh morning dark roast and alcohol. It's a bit stuffy, and as it warms it opens up and the wood comes through.

T: It certainly needs some time, as it's tight and all wrapped up. As I let it sit, a slight bit of sweetness hits my palate. It doesn't showcase the coffee profile like I thought it would, though it is certainly present. Alcohol begins ripping through the robust char, and dark unsweetened chocolate and cigar tobacco close this one out. Given the year I've sat on this one, I should note that it is quite a bit more tannic, and certainly drier then I was expecting.

M: Pleasantly creamy, though the carbonation is a bit prodding and obnoxious given that this is an Impy Stout. As it warmed, this subsided and becamse much more pleasant.

O: This is a nice brew, and one I'd recommend. I will say that it's not my favorite Yeti one-off, but I certainly find it quite drinkable and tasty.

I should add that I liked it with some age, but found the coffee much more robust and intense when fresh. Is this one worth aging? Sure, just be patient with it and it should open up nicely.

I'm excited to see what the other one in my cellar tastes like in 365.

03-12-2011 22:50:37 | More by Rhettroactive
avalon07

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a completely thick consistency. There was an inch of creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A strong aroma of espresso, along with chocolate and malt. Very aggressive and powerful.

T: Tasted of espresso above everything else, but there were also hints of chocolate, malt, and a woody component. Complex, with a big, bold flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: Like all of Great Divide's Yetis, this one is very tasty and incredibly drinkable.

07-30-2010 12:23:20 | More by avalon07
Alieniloquium

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Black with a nice khaki head. Excellent retention and nice legs.

Smell - Heavily roasted malt. Grassy aromas. Coffee. Dark chocolate.

Taste - Bitter burnt malt flavor up front. Grassy flavors just behind it. Bitter character before a subtler coffee flavor comes in.

Mouthfeel - Overly bitter for me. Bitter and dry. It could use with some creaminess and a bit more body.

Overall - My least favorite of the Yeti series, besides infected bottles of BA Yeti. Leaves a dry bitter coffee flavor without the rich components I'd like to get from it.

02-02-2014 20:00:53 | More by Alieniloquium
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

I had this on tap at The Catalyst in Fort Collins but this is a review of the bottled version.

It pours a pitch black with a 2 finger head of tan foam.

The smell is a big dose of coffee and an almost as big nose of oak giving me a bitter sweet aroma overall. Nice.

The taste is huge. Lots of coffee permeates my every tastebud. There's plenty of oak flavour as well with side notes of cocoa and vanilla. Hop bitterness is also present. Wow. This a flavour monster! And quite warming though I can't really taste the alcohol. For my personal tastes, the only knock is that the coffee goes a bit overboard. Maybe further tastings will change my mind?

The mouthfeel borders on thick, the carbonation is fairly light, and it finishes on the bitter side with notes of coffee and hops.

Drinkability? It's very tasty but the coffee grinds on my tastebuds after a while so it isn't something I'd want to try to drink back to back. The 1 bottle will do me fine..

Oh and head retention is average but there's lots of sheeting after every sip. It's certainly interesting what GD did with their Oak Aged Yeti.

Edit Dec 15, 2010:

Well, I pulled my last bottle, mistakenly dated as bottled on Feb 13, 2005(I'm guessing it should be Feb 2009) and was amazed at how well the beer has evolved from the fresh product. The coffee flavour has mellowed out but is still dominant but within my range of comfort and the roasted malt just kicks it up a few notches. That, combined with a super tasty roasted malt flavour and a delicious flavour of dark chocolate takes this beer to a new level for me. Outstanding!

No choice but to edit my rating...

03-22-2009 14:17:35 | More by Bitterbill