Join our email list →

American Double / Imperial Stout | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,027 | Hads: 3,562
4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

I had this on tap at The Catalyst in Fort Collins but this is a review of the bottled version.

It pours a pitch black with a 2 finger head of tan foam.

The smell is a big dose of coffee and an almost as big nose of oak giving me a bitter sweet aroma overall. Nice.

The taste is huge. Lots of coffee permeates my every tastebud. There's plenty of oak flavour as well with side notes of cocoa and vanilla. Hop bitterness is also present. Wow. This a flavour monster! And quite warming though I can't really taste the alcohol. For my personal tastes, the only knock is that the coffee goes a bit overboard. Maybe further tastings will change my mind?

The mouthfeel borders on thick, the carbonation is fairly light, and it finishes on the bitter side with notes of coffee and hops.

Drinkability? It's very tasty but the coffee grinds on my tastebuds after a while so it isn't something I'd want to try to drink back to back. The 1 bottle will do me fine..

Oh and head retention is average but there's lots of sheeting after every sip. It's certainly interesting what GD did with their Oak Aged Yeti.

Edit Dec 15, 2010:

Well, I pulled my last bottle, mistakenly dated as bottled on Feb 13, 2005(I'm guessing it should be Feb 2009) and was amazed at how well the beer has evolved from the fresh product. The coffee flavour has mellowed out but is still dominant but within my range of comfort and the roasted malt just kicks it up a few notches. That, combined with a super tasty roasted malt flavour and a delicious flavour of dark chocolate takes this beer to a new level for me. Outstanding!

No choice but to edit my rating...

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

22oz bottle
Bottled Feb 13 2009

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a dark black color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is very dark and roasty with a lot of fresh roasted coffee in the nose. There is also some hops and a good dose of alcohol but the coffee is definitely the dominant smell in the aroma. Very nice! Can't wait for my first sip!

T- The taste starts out pretty smooth with some roasted malts and a hint of sweetness. It quickly to bitterness with a lot of bitter coffee and hop flavors in the finish. There is definitely a lot of hops in the finish, definitely one of the hoppier Imperial Stouts.

M- The mouthfeel is a little on the thick side with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is some great stuff. Not exactly the most drinkable beer in the world, it is definitely a sipper. Overall, this is one that I would definitely pick up again. Highly Recommended!

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 18/4/12

A much like the original version this one's black with a large three finger dark tan head that has great retention but this version leaves just some random patches of lace opposed to distinct rings

S chocolate syrup and coco, vanilla, booze, faint citric hops, and not as much espresso as I expected, smells pretty good though with some chocolate pudding

T what I smell but with a heavy blast of espresso, massive even, I'm amazed how much more espresso I taste compared to the smell, cold coffee on the finish almost reminds me of the coffee candies I find in Vietnamese restaurants around here, some dark roast char and wood work well with the espresso

M full but not as full as I would guess from how dark it is, just enough bubbles to give it some life and a little heat, finish is burnt wood and coffee and it lingers for ages

O pretty well rounded stuff going on here, rich, roasted and intense, not quite a Peche Mortal but not too far off

I'm pretty happy with all the Yeti stouts sent by the most awesome Rutager, all solid brews I'd want to drink again and age, I'm wondering how long I'm going to be awake or if there's enough booze in this to put me to sleep

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Bright espresso black with a pillowy tan to brown 1” persistent foam cap that grips the side of the glass.
S: Espresso with traces of coffee and faint vanilla.
T: Rich malt with sweet cocoa and vanilla balance with the roast flavors form the malt and the added espresso.
F: Creamy silky smooth with a big body and ine soft carbonation.
O: A delightful beer that improves with age for at least three years.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up a bottle of this at Julio's, bottled back in January. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Yeah, hands down one of the nicest looking stouts. A nice deep rich dark brown nearly black pour with a three finger milk chocolate head that leaves big, sticky side lacing and a thick dense creamy half inch blanket. Amazing.

S - Typical Yeti aromas here thanks to the oak. A very distinct almost licorice. Very nice roasty coffee notes and roasted malts with light dark chocolate aromas.

T - Taste is solid, nice coffee and alot of chocolate. The oak lends a slight earthyness but for the most part this is nice solid espresso with bitter coffee ground finish and nice dark chocolate.

M - Just outstanding. Velvety silky smooth with some great coffee bitterness. The ABV is slightly noticeable on the end, but its mixed nicely with the bitterness.

O - Overall this is another impressive stout from Great Divide. Really cant go wrong with their stouts.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Deep black color. Poured a 2 finger chocolate head with good retention. Big clingy rings of lace.

S: Big semi-sweet dark chocolate and toasted malts. Espresso is clearly donimant to the subdued oak.

T: Big toasted malt flavor up front gently yields to the dark sweet chocolate and espresso. The oak is a bit more evident than in the smell.

M: Full body. Low carbonation. Thick, rich and creamy. Silky smoothness coats the mouth and tongue.

D: This is a big beer - malt and abv. Definitely an dessert beer to savor (slowly).

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured a black body with one finger than head that left minor lace patches down the glass. The aroma is roasted and coffee malts, the espresso aspect being noticeable, and there seems to be a hint of the oak/woodiness and even vanilla. I get this same aspect in the beer as it is medium bodied, slightly chewy, and smooth with oak notes and a minor vanilla like sweetness. The coffee taste is strong and really noticeable on the backend and finish as this beer finishes real dry. I like the balance and how this beer first hits me with a sweet edge and then finishes dry and just tempts you to have another sip.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

22 ounce bottle, 9.5% ABV bottled on February 13, 2009. Served in a snifter, the beer pours black with about an inch frothy brown head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. The aroma is very nice, it smells like espresso, roasted malt, milk and dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, and some dark fruit. It tastes like espresso, oak, dark chocolate, roasted malt, piney hops, and vanilla. There's also a lingering bitter hoppy and coffee finish. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's thick, chewy and a bit slick with low/moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, considering how big the beer is. The alcohol does catch up to you after a while! Overall I think this is a good brew that I'd definitely have again in the future.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Acquired a few of these in trades/extras recently, so thanks to all!

Pours a clear dark reddish brown, verging on black, very thick light brown/tan head forms, quickly settles to a medium layer and ring around the glass, drops some nice lace sheets on the glass. Smell is real nice, like oak aged Yeti, but with espresso, caramel, lots of roast, chocolate, vanilla, subtle oak, some floral and piney hops, fruit, raisins, molasses and brown sugar. Taste is very roast, lots of heavy espresso and dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, dark fruit, like a chocolate covered coffee bean, some floral hops, dry and biscuity in the finish, pretty heavy bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, some warmth from the alcohol, but quite nice. Thanks to everyone!

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on March 05, 2009.

(A)- Pours thick & black as night. Produced an incredibly large & fluffy/billowy dark brown head that isnt going anywhere; its clinging to every inch of the sides of the glass as it barely dissipates.

(S)- Rich vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, raisin, butterscotch, & a spice I cant pinpoint; cinnamon?(Must be from the Oak). Simply gorgeous & wonderful. Just the tiniest hint of roasted coffee grounds.

(T)- Not much espresso in this, but has a great mildly sweet molasses & brown sugar maltiness that melds into a delicate dry oaky vanilla finish. Dynamic and silky smooth with no harshness; just a bit of roastedness in the middle.

(M)- One of the smoothest stouts I may have ever had. Fantastic alcohol integration & balance. Not too sweet, not too malty, not too bitter, just a perfect combination that is layered here and there.

(D)- Simply a remarkable stout! I am slightly disappointed that there isnt much espresso in this, but I quickly forgot that when I smelled and tasted this. Simply amazing! This bottle did not last long at all! Every Yeti I have had has been fantastic, but this one with almost a year of age on it is nearly orgasmic. I am excited to see what further aging will do to it. Now. . . where can I find a case?

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Black as sin color with a great brown head and even some spotty lacing. Looks pretty carbonated for the style by the foaming I can see on top.

Dry espresso with powdered cacao. No cream aromas to mention. Also lots of super roasted to almost burnt malt aromas. Not to mention some warmth from the abv%. Smells like a dry sipper.

Dry palate from the start that subsides a little at the finish. This beer is burnt bread crust, dark coffee, and some black chocolare powder. Dry, maybe even a little acidic as it warms. Plus the abv% heat. But still a good sipper.

I could not taste any oak or wood flavor in this beer. I wonder what this yeti "WOOD" taste like without the chips???? I think mostly the same.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle purchased at Beers of the World in Rochester, NY.

Pours a thick, dark, motor oil style black. Puffy one inch coffee colored head forms, with spots of foam down the glass as I drink.

Smells like bright, just brewed esresso, chocolate, and darkly roasted malt.

Tastes like bitter espresso, sweet milk chocolate, vanilla (likely from the oak-aging), a bit of oak, and some slight hop bitterness.

Full, sludgy mouthfeel. Lightly carbonated.

The best Yeti variant I've had yet. One of the purest coffee expressions in beer I've had. So thick, and so good.

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle opened on 10.25.13
Bottled: Jan 14 2011

A - Pours a dark brown with a dark brown silky head with good retention.

S - Subtle coffee, chocolate, wood.

T - Coffee and a oaky punch to the mouth.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - Lots of coffee and oak. A bit of a sharp finish.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Man I wanted to try this ever since I saw a bomber for 15 dollars! Found it during the happy hour at Smoking Joe's (south side) for 4.50 12 oz glass CRAZY GOOD DEAL!

A - Jet black with coco head. Pretty impressive.
S - Very mild (man they serve em cold!) coffee smell, similar to morning coffee and cream but it was 6:30 pm lol
T - Near perfect. The undertones of black coffee and cream hit the tongue with a harsh bitterness at first but then rounds to a perfect malt and hop body. First coffee stout I could actually taste hops.
M - Surprisingly for 9.5 it was light and drinkable but like a vag. I totally baby the glass since I wanted to taste to rather than chug.
D - A very smooth brew that I was very happy to try. Pitty how expensive it is around here but I will rue the day when bombers around my town are all under 10 bucks (sigh day will never come...)

Side note: why are some coffee stouts almost triple the cost of well... Starbucks?

Pours a oil-slick black color with a very thick brown head that fades down to a one-finger head.

Aroma is creamy with a good dose of coffee in the nose. A bit of chocolate shows underneath the nose as well. I can't smell any oak but otherwise, very nice aroma.

Taste is creamy upfront and gives way to dark fruits and cocoa in the middle. Wow. The coffee character is here but it in no way overwhelms the other flavors. Wow. Again, I'm impressed here.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering bitter coffee, cream and chocolate flavors.

Holy Shit! I'm so glad I picked this up. I love the flavors and the mouthfeel is just where I like it. It's got the right amount of creaminess and the other flavors seem well balanced as well. I'm not sure if you can do better than this. Would improve even more with age. Very, very, very nice. I will be seeking this out the next time I go to Mass.

Don't worry about the rating. This is one hell of a beer that deserves its' marks. I can't wait to open the bottles of 2007 Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti that I have.

3.64/5  rDev -14.2%

Great Divide bomber, capped and corked, $9.99 in Columbus. Bottled on Feb 13, 2009, less than 2 months ago.

The beer is dark brown, not quite black, with a thick tan froth that looks perfect on the pour (tons of bubbles cascading up through the beer, just the way I like a RIS). The smell is a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, not nearly as rich as I'd expect from a beer marketed as "Espresso oak aged". I didn't smell any coffee, maybe no oak either, this just smelled like yeti. The taste was better, I got the oak and chocolate (still no coffee), and lots of roasted malt. Astringently bitter which might be pleasing for others but I like RISs to be sweeter. Good body and mouthfeel, substantial. Overall a bit of a disappointment for $10, I had hoped for more coffee and more massiveness.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a completely thick consistency. There was an inch of creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A strong aroma of espresso, along with chocolate and malt. Very aggressive and powerful.

T: Tasted of espresso above everything else, but there were also hints of chocolate, malt, and a woody component. Complex, with a big, bold flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: Like all of Great Divide's Yetis, this one is very tasty and incredibly drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

I drank this on tap, into a tulip at the Map Room.

The beer is black, with a remarkable three finger of thick foamy head. There is great retention and excellent lacing, lasting several minutes and fully coating the side of the glass as it falls.

The aroma is really strong but mostly on the same note. There is tons of coffee here, but its a nice coffee that isn't just bitter, sweetness and complexity. At the end only a hint of the oak.

The taste is also just one note of really smooth coffee. This is perfect for a big coffee drinker, but if your not a little boring. The finishes kind of detracks from the beer as it is an intense bitter coffee which almost killed what I was enjoying.

Overall, this was a very good, but not great coffee stout. I wish it had a little more sweet in the start and oak on the end to balance out the coffee.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

22 oz. Near black pour with coffee accents. Large rocky layered head light tan to dark tan. It actually looked identical to the picture here.
Coffee nose, some barrel and booze. Taste is VERY roasty coffee and burnt malt. Some bakers chocolate, anise and black licorice. This has a thick, nice and creamy mouthfeel. Sticks to the glass and your lips, real nice. A little bitter finishing, some warming. A little bitter and boozy yet, which hurts the drinkability just a bit. I think I like the regular and regular oak better, but maybe some age can bring this up. I enjoy the coffee stouts, so I'm hopefull this will improve slightly with age.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It comes in a deep black color with a wonderful coffee head. It's a beautiful brown head. One of the more beautiful stouts.

The aroma and flavor are just huge. It smells of big espresso beans and bitter chocolate. There's also big oak character.

Such a smooth stout, it has wonderful roasted espresso flavor and sweetness and then woody oak chip flavor. It has a lovely body. It's almost like a rich, dark chocolate coffee milkshake. It hits the flavors with its complex flavors, the creaminess, and mouthfeel spot on.

My issue with this beer however is the aftertaste. It's hard to pin down, but it makes you rub your tongue on the top of your mouth. I prefer this beer colder because as it warms up, the aftertaste gets more prominent. It's almost a chalkiness or Nestle malt that sticks and lingers around. A slight offensive flavor.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

On-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours completely black with a one-finger brown head that slowly dissipates into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of lightly roasted coffee with roasted malts. There's also a hint of unsweetened chocolate as the beer warms. Not quite the bouquet I was hoping for, but still solid.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Roasted coffee up front is joined by roasted malt flavors. Near the end of the sip a bit of earthiness comes in from the oak along with unsweetened chocolate. The ending is full of bitter coffee flavors that linger for a bit. I wasn't terribly impressed with the first third of the beer, but it definitely comes into its own as it warms.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very good thickness, but the carbonation was a bit on the heavy side. I'll definitely try this at a later date and see if it's the same from a bottle.

Drinkability is good. Despite the high carbonation, I still finished this very quickly and could go for a few more.

Overall this is very good, though I like the regular Oak Aged a bit better. Still, for coffee fans this is a beer that definitely warrants trying, and for that matter it warrants trying for anyone.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Max's

A: Pitch black with a dark brown head with excellent retention.

S: Coffee, cream, oak, vanilla, roasted notes, nuts and a rather surprising sour note, almost sour-cream like

T: Excellent coffee balanced with a great creaminess, burnt and roasted malts. Bitter finish

ML Full bodied and great finish with good carbonation

D: This goes down too easy

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Deep dark nearly fully black but some brown highlights notes. Small, quickly disapearing khaki head, decent lacing.

S: Medium roasted espresso, bittersweet chocolate. Oak trails in the rear.

T: Follows the scent with medium roasted espresso, bittersweet chocolate... oak and vanilla in the rear. Some brown sugar/maple syrup like sweetness.

M: Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, silky smooth, non coating, nice mellow oaky aftertaste

D: Definitely better than the chocolate which lacked a full flavor profile. THe esspresso is muted compared to other coffee beers. Complex and smooth enough to enjoy more.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

22oz. bottle served in my DFH snifter. Bottled on 2/13/2009 indicated on the label. Poured one shade shy of black with a dense, mocha-colored cap embedded with ringlets. Head dissipates within seconds into a cluster of bubbles and a frothy band around the edges of the glass. Some spots of lacing appear as the brew recedes. Nose suggests espresso roast and bittersweet chocolate. More espresso roast in the mouth, but taste is somewhat charred and bitter rather than roasty. Some woody characteristics, but missing the vanilla. Bitterness lingers between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Some carbonation burn on the front of the tongue, but as it dissipates it leaves behind a residual milky slickness. Alcohol is well-hidden on this one, but balance is off - way too bitter. May improve with cellaring.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

on-tap, the Publican (Seattle), paired with brisket hash

appearance: served in a 12oz short shaker-esque glass, nearly ebony body, 1/4" creamy mocha cap with some sticky lace

smell: espresso, charred malt, dark chocolate, oak, green leafy

taste: Rich and decadent - dark chocolate, espresso and cream, charred malt, lots of roasted oats, fresh green hops, molasses, rich warming alcohol presence

mouthfeel: rich, velvety, heavy on the roast with a twist of fresh hops

overall: great stuff - not sure why i was never able to find this in the midwest, but glad i finally did

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company