Barrel Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.70% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.
to view more.
Ratings: 578 | Reviews: 193
Reviews by angelmonster:
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This review is of the 2009 vintage

Pours a pitch black body with a one finger mocha head. Head retention and lacing were average at best.

Smell is an amazing mixture of sweet whisky, brownie a la mode, vanilla, burnt malts, and chocolate syrup. Similar to aromas found in Southern Tiers Choklat but heavier on alcohol.

Taste is still hot and big on booze, with some fudge, charred malts, and a bit of bitterness. I like strong beers but this one lacks some balance to round it out. Wish it tasted like it smelled.

Mouthfeel is full and aggressively carbonated. Body was somewhat oily/syrupy. Head died rather quickly which was disappointing.

Overall this beer was good but pretty pricey. I figured after letting it age for 4 years it would be smoother but it still has quite a bite. I love all the yetis but I'd have to say this was prolly my least favorite along with Belgian yeti

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

One of the best things to ever come across my lips. Hands down this was absolutely just phenomenal. Served chilled and split into three snifters, this one was consumed on 10/31/2009.

The pour was magnificent. Rich dark brown, nearly black in color with a huge head of tan on top that just barely receded at all leaving tons of sticky lace down the sides of the glass that were still present come the next morning! Incredible. The aroma defied description for me to be honest. Rich notes of vanilla and oak just overwhelmed everything, bourbon like I have never smelled before just totally dominating everything that was around it. Simply incredible I have to say. Warming brings out loads of chocolate, hints of coffee, more vanilla and oak aroma, just too complex to put into words, the three of us were falling over ourselves over this one to say the least. Then I took a sip and it was over. Stunning is not a strong enough word. This is just amazing. Rich, decadent chocolate notes wrapped into a full on a explosion of bourbon and vanilla notes just leaves me looking for more, and more, and more. Just amazing. The depth and complexity here is something that I have not scene, or at least rarely seen before. Rich cocoa and coffee notes coming through now, all the while the bourbon and vanilla never losing sight of the overall prize. Who knows where the ABV is open this one but it is one of the best, if the best sipper I have come across for a cold rainy night.

Overall I do not have enough good things to say about this. I had tried long and hard to find one of these and I am really glad that I did. It was simply amazing. I would have no issue at all with going after this one again, in fact, please send me another!

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle pour courtesy of wethorseblanket at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

2011 vintage. Bottle # 1414.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, wood, bourbon, and vanilla. Taste is much the same with a woody finish. There is a mild roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer that is super tasty and is showing no signs of infection that apparently so many other bottles have.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to Joe for sharing this one. Served in a smaller pint glass sort of thing at Bad Apple.

A - A couple fingers of late-rising dark mocha foam that does the reverse-cascading waterfall deal. Dissipates to a thin ring, and coats the sides of the glass with a sticky film - no lace though. Pitch black in the low light conditions, although I didn't see anything else even when I held it directly up to the light.

S - Initially it has a strong dark fruit character, although the Stranahan whiskey comes out as it warms up. The whiskey has a largely vanilla character, although there some sharp tangy oak that vainly tried to offset an otherwise intensely sweet smelling beer.

T - The taste is very similar, but there's an unfortunate burnt plastic/char taste in the background. Otherwise it's dark fruit, molasses, and vanilla galore. Pretty yummy, but starts verging on diabetic by the end of my pour.

M - Very low carbonation, viscous and syrupy. Dry tannic finish, and a bit of heat. It's right on for a barrel-aged RIS.

D - Between the odd char aftertaste, liquid diabetes, and high ABV it's not the most drinkable of stouts, but it's still a solid effort. That being said, I think I prefer the intense hoppiness of regular old Yeti.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle #246/470. Sensory deprivation black. The dark brown sugar colored crown has the same loose, bubbly, unsticky texture as most barrel-aged ales. It persists reasonably well and manages to leave a few scattered sheets of lace in the end. Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti are visual masterpieces. This one isn't, but it's still a mighty fine looker.

I don't care what barrels Great Divide ages this RIS in, it's always going to smell amazing. Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey was as good a choice as any... and better than many. It may not be bourbon, technically speaking, but it's pretty damn close to the same thing. The chocolate and coffee aromas of the stout are perfectly accented by the whiskey.

After the first several ounces, it's obvious that aging Yeti for 20 months rather than the originally planned 9 months turned out beautifully. The beer has just the right amount of whiskey character (if you love whiskey) without tasting the least bit woody or overly oaky. Like I said, Yeti is one of the world's finest stouts and can stand up to just about anything.

Given the ABV, it's amazing how well the alcohol is masked. It isn't completely obliterated, but then I wouldn't want it to be. Better to leave some of the beer's burliness intact. The total body warming and the spreading sense of well-being is intoxicating (literally). Slowly sipping all 750 ml is going to make this a very good late afternoon and evening.

It's quite possible that I've never had a more perfect marriage of stout and whiskey. Some barrel-aged stouts have been just as delicious perhaps, but few (if any) have been better. If that doesn't deserve the ultimate taste score, then I don't know what does. No wonder this brewery is a perennial member of my 'Top 10 American Breweries' list.

The flavor profile includes melted Hershey bars, a generous shot of espresso, a small shot of Sambucca, caramelized sugar, vanilla beans and toasted oak barrel staves. Molasses and smoke aren't present and aren't missed. I don't know if one year of age is the ideal time to be drinking this beer... but it might as well be.

I would like to issue a formal apology to GD Barrel Aged Yeti for thinking that its mouthfeel wasn't up to snuff during the first glassful. Now that it's middle of the bottle time, it's hard to imagine how it could be improved. Lush, plush, smooth, silky... mere words don't do it justice, so I'll stop trying.

My expectations for Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti were stratospheric. The fact that it has exceeded those expectations is mind-boggling. It's a shame that only 470 bottles were released because this is one of the best beers to have ever entered my glass.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle from the second batch

Pours with that usual Yeti awesomeness, black with a great, creamy brown head.

The nose is a nice blend of milk and dark chocolates with vanilla and a touch of whiskey.

The taste packs a lot of chocolate with cookie and vanilla. I can't tell a huge difference between this and the oak-aged version. I usually don't let the price affect my opinion, but in this case, when I could buy several bottles of oak-aged for the price of this one bottle, it's a no brainer. I expected a little more from it. Still a great beer though, as are all of the Yeti's.

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750 ml bottle, bottle 7 / 470 - bottled 8/09. Pours a dark black/brown with a thin brown head (even after a vigorous pour) that quickly diminishes to a thin dusting.

The aroma is sweet chocolate, molasses and whiskey.

The flavor is roasted chocolate with a lot of sugary molasses. It has a bit of strong alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with almost no carbonation.

Overall, this is not nearly as good as the regular Yeti. It has almost no carbonation, and is overly sweet and alcoholic. I can hardly taste the hops that I'm used to in Yeti. It's a bit of a treacly alcoholic mess.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A:poured into my taster this brew pour just as menicing as any other yeti. Pitch black with a good amount of head.
S: the noise is average of barrel aged stout. Bourbon is present with maulty goodness.
T: the flavor is like a less intense yeti. The notes of coffee and chocolate are calmed down. The bourbon is not pronounced; almost like this brew was aged in brandy barrels. Notes of really dark fruit.
MF: good mouth feel not thined out, but would haved liked a thicker feel.
Overall, a brew that is worth its rarity to have. Enjoyable, but i expected more complexity out of this one.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Huge thanks to Joe1510 for bringing this to our epic tasting! Definitely one of my most anticipated selections. This is from the first bottling and here we go...

A nice black pour with a surprising amount of head that doesn't stick around too long.

Tons of whiskey in the nose here. I can't believe how hot this beer still is! There are dark fruits and vanilla present here too. It's very sweet.

Getting fruits, whiskey, vanilla and a corn syrup flavor as well. Again, very sweet beer. It's a little thin for my liking, which takes away from the experience but overall, this is still a good stout.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle shared by RustyDiamond - thanks!

Pours black with a minimal dark brown head that recedes into thin ring around the glass. No lacing is left however the beer is viscous enough to leave legs.

Smells great. Dark chocolate, whiskey, vanilla, and smooth roasted malt with the vanilla aromas poking out more as the beer warms.

Tastes great as well. The flavors are similar to the aroma with dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt and whiskey all present however they're slightly better integrated when compared to the smell. Absurdly smooth, and while it's boozy the warming burn does more to help the beer than it does to hurt it.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's smooth and hefty with light carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could finish off a bottle of this myself with absolutely no problem.

Overall I've been wanting to try this for a while and I wasn't let down. Well worth seeking out, and thanks again to RustyDiamond for sharing.

3.57/5  rDev -16.6%

Big thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing the brew.

750ml capped brown bottle poured into a snifter. Notes.

A: Very dark brown with ruby reddish tinting. No real head with some large frothy bubbles from an aggressive pour. No real lacing, either.

S: Some light whiskey notes. Light molasses with a small touch of vanilla. A bit of roasty bitterness.

T/M: Lots of bourbon, more stinging than flavorful. Nothing from the barrel character and no real vanilla. Some bitterness from the dark roasted malts. Very thin body, especially for a RIS. Very little carbonation.

D: ABV is big and bourbon is too aggressive. Tasty, especially if you drink bourbon straight up, but too much in a beer, though.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

My 1,000th review! I never thought I would reach this milestone and it just happened to land on my birthday. Time for something special.

2011 vintage served slighty chilled into a goblet.

Barrel Aged Yeti is nearly black in color with creamy off-white head. It settles quickly but leaves a short layer on top.

Aroma is sweet and boozy. Similar to the oak aged Yeti but with a hint of red wine and whiskey.

Flavor is very well balanced with great depth. The barrel aging elements never overwhelm the experience, just enhance it. It has rich roasted malt body with bits of dark bitter chocolate and coffee. Then the barrel character comes through with the vinous vanilla and peaty whiskey. A hint of smoke and a nice caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and perfectly carbonated. The alcohol is well-controled and never seems to dominate, desipte the strength.

Overall an excellent example of barrel aged stout and worthy of a momentous review.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle shared by someone awesome at DLD. I can't remember who, as I was three - or even four - sheets to the wind by that point, but I did make some decent beer notes on this one, so here goes.

Pours jet black and slightly viscous with a one-finger tan head that leaves some swirls on the beer.

Aroma jumps out at you with everything you want from a beer like this. Very roasty with coffee, chocolate, oak, whiskey, and vanilla.

Flavor is similarly intense and awesome. The whiskey and oak really assert themselves thanks to this beer's very long (20 month) residence in the -bals. I did not see barrels when I visited Great Divide, but hell, I guess they must be somewhere. The awesomeness of regular Yeti also comes through, with roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, and even some hops.

The mouthfeel is great, smooth and slick with fairly full body.

I am rarely one to speak badly of a -bal aged imperial stout, and this is not going to break that trend. This beer is awesome. They should make more of it. Drinkable for the 12.2%. I might be able to finish a bomber of this.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Received in recent trade from generous BA scray24. (Thanks!)
Poured from 750ml bottle into red wine glass at Black Friday tasting.

Aroma: Molasses, vanilla, malted milk, toasted coconut, and rich dark chocolate syrup. Wonderfully complex aroma!

Appearance: 1 finger dark brown head slowly dissipates. Body is dark espresso brown/black. The beer leaves some suds behind, from which decent legs run.

Flavor: Mmmm! Rich fudge brownie, bourbon, coconut, and toasted marshmallow, followed by a nice touch of smoke at the end. OUT OF THIS WORLD flavor!

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium-full body, and slightly drying cocoa tannins at the end. Booze provides some nice warmth as well.

Overall: Due to the seeming ubiquity of many of the other Yeti variants (they seem to be slow movers at many of my favorite shops), I didn't get as excited about this one as I should have. Upon hearing some buzz, and reading reviews, though, I fortunately sought it out in a trade. And, thanks to the above credited trader, I was able to procure one! BA Yeti edged-out Sculpin, Blushing Monk, Marshall Zhukov's, and even Black Tuesday, in the line-up of beers at our Black Friday tasting. Great Divide really did something special here. I'll definitely be looking for another one!

4.28/5  rDev 0%

750 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter. Bottle # 3292. Not infected!

Appearance - Jet black. No light pierces even as it pours into the glass. Nice mocha head. Almost as dark as a Zhukov head. Excellent retention.

Smell - Well it's boozy, but the other aromas are very nice. Whiskey and oak. The barrel character itself isn't as prominent as the oak and whiskey (as in, I don't get as much vanilla as I'd like). As a result, the stout comes through more, though. I get the chocolate character of Yeti as well as the grassy hops.

Taste - The whiskey is less prominent here. It's almost as through the barrel has added a booziness without adding a tremendous amount more. There is an oak presence that's nice, though. Strong chocolate. The hop presence of Yeti is cut nicely, though. That's probably the best aspect of the barrel in the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Boozy. Extremely chewy. Nice. Hot and slightly bitter. Medium carbonation.

Overall - I'm critical, but it's a very nice drink. If I don't analyze every sip, I really like it. If I think about it too much, I nit pick the details and it's not as good as I'd like it to be.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Mad Props to Schmittymack for trading me this one, acquired about 6 months ago.... I scored a bunch of bottles when this first came out, but over promised on trades & never got to try this (this was after I let everyone know where I found it, maybe not so clever...) Thanks Dan!

Bottle 1032 of 1104 pours a thick ebony with 2+ fingers of cocoa brown fluffy head into my Vondel snifter. Nice viscous look to this, above average lacing & average head retention

S: Oaky notes & whisky/peaty scents. Dark fruit & leafy hops as this warms

T: Follows the nose along dryness, boozey dry fruit, leafy & minty hops, dark chocolate up front. Dryness, booze-soaked plums, cherries & raisins, along with more leafy hops & dark chocolate, vanilla & peaty smokey notes as this warms. Finishes dry, oaky, fruity & a touch boozey

MF: Chewy as all get out, low/smooth carbonation
& oily richness, VERY warming

Drinks pretty nicely, but the heft & complexity do weigh on you. Still a touch too boozey, probably could've let this go another 10-18 months easily IMO. Much to like here, one to cellar save for cold/wet winter's night ( like tonight! )> Merry Christmas to Me!

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%

Review #200! Bottle number 486 of 1104. Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Pours pitch black with a one finger almost brown head that subsided to a minimal amount VERY slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, coffee, chocolate, and a hint of alcohol. The flavor was of malt, alcohol, subtle chocolate, with a massive whiskey flavor upon swallowing that was followed up by coffee. It was heavy on the palate with low carbonation. Overall the booze in this one was quite evident to put it lightly. I wish that was not the case as I'm sure it probably masked a lot of the subtle flavors that might have been present in this one. This was still quite nice despite this fact and I recommend any Yeti fan to track this one down and enjoy it.

3.74/5  rDev -12.6%

Served chilled in a Founders snifter. Supposed to be the most recent batch. Tasting notes.

Smells of sweet malts with the slightest amount of barrel coming towards the end. Really needed to fight to find the barrel. Looks beyond fantastic. Nice rising head that recedes into good retention. Black with fantastic legs. Flavors are of sweet dark malts with a slight roast, light hop backbone and then some non-dominating whiskey in the finish. Good body.

I'm not convinced that this was a recent batch based on the sweet malt presence. I have no other experience with this beer though, so I can't say for sure.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle.
Appearance: black. Thin, tan head. Nice lacing.
Smell: chocolate. Raisin.
Taste: chocolate. Figs. Raisin. Slight oak. Alcohol.
Mouthfeel: medium carbonation. Big body. Sweet-ish.
Overall: tasty. Balanced well. Not too oaky. Will definitely buy again.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a nice dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of woody notes with some vanilla and bourbon notes easily noticeable. Taste is also dominated by woody notes with some vanilla and bourbon with light warming alcohol. Black chocolates notes with subtle roasted malt are also discernable. Body is full with nice creamy texture with good carbonation and some warming alcohol notes are also perceptible. Truly a world-class beer that I wouldn’t mind having again.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Beautiful black pour with a dark mocha finger and a half of viscous head. Nice spattering of lacy foam. Balanced barrel, oak, vanilla and rich chocolate in the aroma. There may be some spicy hops, but faint. The barrel is not over whelming, which for me, is a good thing. It leaves it's mark though. There's a slight acidic cherry quality that faintly shows itself. The taste is lightly boozy, with a ton of chocolate, roast, vanilla, light barrel/bourbon and oaky notes. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate covered cherry and a definite acidity that induces a slight puckering affect. The feel was thick, full and coating...as I would expect from the Yeti.

It appears as though this bottle is on the very mild receiving end of some infectious qualities. While I think it undoubtedly made the experience slightly less enjoyable, this was still a really good beer even still. No doubt a non-infectious bottle would be brilliant. Glad to be drinking it either way!

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

Douglas88 brought this to the weekend RIS tasting.. 1st vintage.. bottle #294/470... Reviewed from notes.

Big head though it didn't stick around...

Nose has tons of whiskey and some heat.. vanilla and plenty of citrus hops.. I think the hops collide a bit too much.

Palate begins with bunches of alcohol (mainly from the barrel) .. a little hot IMO.. vanilla and lite cherry... whiskey is HUGE and not really in a good way.. less than expected RIS characteristics.. descent cocoa and lesser dark malts.. citrus hops are still very available.. the whiskey notes are a too pronounced for my palate... Body was only medium, and the carbonation seemed pretty high.

I had high hopes for this one, but it sorta left me flat.. I need to get a fresh bottle(s) of this to share with the Boise crew.

Awesome Doug.. thanks for supplying this wild card .. You will always be welcome in Boise and in my home, but the rule is, "we quit drinking at 5:00 am"... no questions and no exceptions :-)

4/4.5/4/3.5/4

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

A- good dark black appearance with ok head retention and lacing

S- strong whiskey and oaky smell right off the bat, there is a nice chocolate aroma and a faint strawberry aroma; no alcohol on the nose

T- as with the nose the taste is first of whiskey and oak with a strong sweet backbone of a strong stout with a nice dark chocolaty bitterness

M- mouthfeel seems a little thin for a stout of this strength but is still good

D- drinkability is about what you would expect, the 750 bottle is for at least 2 probably 3 people because of the strong whiskey component

2.36/5  rDev -44.9%

Unfortunately infected.

Pours black with almost no head.

Smells of chocolate covered cherries. Definite acidic quality to go along with some deep roasted malts. Little bourbon on the nose.

Tastes like sour cherry band-aids. The acidity covers up some of what otherwise may be good chocolate malts. Bourbon is again very subtle and barely noticable.

Way over attentuated and thin most likely due to the infection. Medium carbonation level.

Unfortunately infected, but we got it before it got overwhelmingly acidic. Hopefully Great Divide does the right thing and acknowledges this issue.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks for sharing this one, Craig.

Pitch black and totally opaque, capped by a leather-hued collar.

Spicy oak overwhelms the aroma at first. As it breathes and opens up, I can pick out vanilla and dark bitter chocolate, licorice and roasted barley. There isn't much whiskey character, but the oak leaves a huge mark.

The palate has flavors of black licorice, roasted barley, baker's chocolate and a light dark fruit character that makes me think of roasted figs. There's a ton of oak character as well, spicy and tannic with a hint of whiskey. Full bodied but fairly dry, and very spicy, tannic and bitter in the finish.

I slightly prefer regular old Yeti, but this is quite good.

to view more.