2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Barrel Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Barrel Aged YetiBarrel Aged Yeti

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 10-08-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barrel Aged Yeti Alström Bros
Ratings: 511 | Reviews: 188 | Show All Ratings:
Avagadro

A: Thick and black in the pour, with a viscous caramel colored head. No noticeable lacing, and retention is somewhat weak.

S: Coffee, licorice, and caramel upfront with notes of molasses in the back.

T: I'm amazed by how complex this brew is. Huge amounts of semi-sweet chocolate are followed by coffee, licorice, and molasses.

M: Full bodied and creamy, with a slight gritty texture.

D: Definitely worth seeking out, seeing as how it is one of the greatest of its style that I've come across.

04-03-2010 19:33:16 | More by Avagadro
dcloeren

Reviewed from notes. This was the only bottle out of 5 that I have tried that was not infected...

Pours a midnight black (like all yeti's) with 2 fingers of mocha head. Great head retention.

The aroma is outstanding. Fudge and bourbon are absolutely encapsulated with the oakiness from the barrels. Booze is bursting from my glass and it makes me all kinds of excited.

The taste follows the nose to the T. Bourbon soaked fudge brownies with vanilla icing drizzled on top! Outstanding barrel presence. Really just top notch!

Thick, viscous as hell, velvety smooth and chewy. Just shoot me in the face this has the best mouthfeel imaginable for a beer this big!

One of the best stouts I have ever had, hand down. Just mother fucking amazing!

05-21-2013 21:55:37 | More by dcloeren
cbutova

4.98/5  rDev +16.1%

Second bottled the 2011 consumed. Amazingly happy it isn't infected. #2546.

A- Pure black pour. Above the body is a huge dark mocha at head, it's size and retention are both beyond most bourbon aged imperial stouts. Not much lace but some good spots.

S- Just bliss. Amazing vanilla oak barrels, whiskey, chocolate and roast malts blended and balanced to perfection. Rich and delicious. Smooth and alcohol is hidden.

T- A kick of dark cocoa powder leads off with the splendid whiskey barrels following. Vanilla seeps from the oak, whiskey bourbon adds a great but balanced flavor, caramel, roast malts, coffee beans and oak.

MF- Thick oily body really pleases the palate. Carbonation is silky smooth and at a nice low level, allowing the rich flavor to shine. Alcohol warms the palate to a great level.

Honestly the most balanced bourbon barrel aged stout I have had. The interplay between whiskey, cocoa, oak and malts just amazes me. Maybe the best I have had.

07-22-2012 00:18:31 | More by cbutova
jjayjaye

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Great Minds Drink Alike...Bottle 199 of 1104. Jet black with a full finger foamy dark brown head with good hang time and reasonable stringy patterns of lacing that I'd expect from a beverage of this weight. The smell is classic barrel aged roasted malt goodness. The mouth feel is right on..silky smooth with that incredible coating texture that I look forward to in my favorite Double Stouts. The nose and the mouth match up quite nicely; a great balance of barrel and the roasted malt. Silky smooth, one hell of a drinker!! Full flavored chocolaty mocha malt and whiskey. A tiny sip captures the entire experience and lingers really nicely. Reminds me a lot of the oak aged product but the whiskey licorice character comes through with a huge presence. Great job on this one. Ton of fun considering this one...many thanks Mark!!

07-17-2010 15:57:30 | More by jjayjaye
pstlproductions

Indiana

2011 Fall Release - Bottle #111
I bow my head to those at The Great Divide - Good show my friends. Shared this brew w/ several at 3F and this is the consensus:

Pour was dark & somewhat thick with little head, quick to diminish. Smell was pure goodness, strong bourbon with slight notes of roasted malts & vanilla. The smell literally caused major positive reactions on the faces of several others. Beer was exeptional, the scent of bourbon was much more than what coated the tongue. Vanilla, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, & bourbon were predominant with a slight tinge of caramel. Flavors coated the tongue, roof of my mouth, & teeth without residing quickly like other BBA Stouts I've had. This is one of the best Bourbon Barrel Aged Stouts (mind you this beer was young) I've had in a long time, especially out of the hole. Honestly it blows most other special releases I've had out of the water. Slight hoppyness still remains, give this beer a solid year to age & everybody will be seeking it. Mark my words mates~ Cheers!

11-01-2011 08:10:26 | More by pstlproductions
mdvatab

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Received in recent trade from generous BA scray24. (Thanks!)
Poured from 750ml bottle into red wine glass at Black Friday tasting.

Aroma: Molasses, vanilla, malted milk, toasted coconut, and rich dark chocolate syrup. Wonderfully complex aroma!

Appearance: 1 finger dark brown head slowly dissipates. Body is dark espresso brown/black. The beer leaves some suds behind, from which decent legs run.

Flavor: Mmmm! Rich fudge brownie, bourbon, coconut, and toasted marshmallow, followed by a nice touch of smoke at the end. OUT OF THIS WORLD flavor!

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium-full body, and slightly drying cocoa tannins at the end. Booze provides some nice warmth as well.

Overall: Due to the seeming ubiquity of many of the other Yeti variants (they seem to be slow movers at many of my favorite shops), I didn't get as excited about this one as I should have. Upon hearing some buzz, and reading reviews, though, I fortunately sought it out in a trade. And, thanks to the above credited trader, I was able to procure one! BA Yeti edged-out Sculpin, Blushing Monk, Marshall Zhukov's, and even Black Tuesday, in the line-up of beers at our Black Friday tasting. Great Divide really did something special here. I'll definitely be looking for another one!

12-04-2011 16:49:54 | More by mdvatab
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Falling Rock Tap House in Colorado had three of these in the fridge... soo pumped. I grabbed one and shared at the bar with my dad and a couple other random guys. Gave myself a solid 15 ounce pour.

A: Nice black body with a brown creamy head

S: Whiskey, chocolate, hops, coffee... amazing.

T: Same as the smell. Amazing beer.

M: So rich, cream, smooth... fantastic.

O: The bartender gave me a sample of the whiskey that it's barrel aged in... what a great beer and I didn't even have to wait in line.

12-16-2011 04:10:16 | More by DNICE555
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

One of the best things to ever come across my lips. Hands down this was absolutely just phenomenal. Served chilled and split into three snifters, this one was consumed on 10/31/2009.

The pour was magnificent. Rich dark brown, nearly black in color with a huge head of tan on top that just barely receded at all leaving tons of sticky lace down the sides of the glass that were still present come the next morning! Incredible. The aroma defied description for me to be honest. Rich notes of vanilla and oak just overwhelmed everything, bourbon like I have never smelled before just totally dominating everything that was around it. Simply incredible I have to say. Warming brings out loads of chocolate, hints of coffee, more vanilla and oak aroma, just too complex to put into words, the three of us were falling over ourselves over this one to say the least. Then I took a sip and it was over. Stunning is not a strong enough word. This is just amazing. Rich, decadent chocolate notes wrapped into a full on a explosion of bourbon and vanilla notes just leaves me looking for more, and more, and more. Just amazing. The depth and complexity here is something that I have not scene, or at least rarely seen before. Rich cocoa and coffee notes coming through now, all the while the bourbon and vanilla never losing sight of the overall prize. Who knows where the ABV is open this one but it is one of the best, if the best sipper I have come across for a cold rainy night.

Overall I do not have enough good things to say about this. I had tried long and hard to find one of these and I am really glad that I did. It was simply amazing. I would have no issue at all with going after this one again, in fact, please send me another!

11-02-2009 16:42:19 | More by mikesgroove
ahijevyc

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

Aged in Maker's Mark barrels for 8 or 9 months, this was on tap at West End in Boulder for a couple wonderful weeks.

This had great Bourbon smell, the power, the body, and the taste. It was great to start with, and only got better after a snifter-full. Actually, after I realized they serve pints, I didn't mess with the snifter. I went back 5 days until it was gone.

Even though they had changed the keg on the sixth day, they thought there might be some in the line, but when it poured, the head was not ink-black, so I knew there was no more Yeti. This Maker's Mark Yeti had a darker head than Guiness, regular Yeti, Espresso Yeti, Belgian Yeti, Chocolate Yeti, Old Rasputin, Deliverance, Mephistopheles, and anything else I had before. I was really impressed by the appearance. I wish I could give a 6.

I don't know the Official beer criteria, but bear with me.

06-17-2012 02:16:25 | More by ahijevyc
maximum12

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Thanks to two fine traders, wyoming & fiver29, who offered me a bottle of this brew that I'd been lusting after for a long time within one week of one another. If I had to choose between these two A+ traders, I'd refuse under torture. Thanks guys, I hope we meet many times again in boxes & styrofoam peanuts.

Bottle 94/1104, split with my wife on an evening without children. Pour is dead, starless night, with some mocha scattered along its crown. Smell is absolutely, fuck-on beautiful, with the Stranahan's coming out to meet the malts dead-on, with both playing Bach in my nose hairs. Roast touches my senses, too.

Barrel Aged Yeti. Wow. This pummels my palate, then veers off in another direction, & ultimately coats my mouth about fifteen seconds after the first sip, settling in, dominating everything it touches, whisking away everything else I've tasted today (& yesterday). The barrel is something else. Vanilla & whiskey rising in Capricorn, washing all the other flavors. Deep, Hades-deep, malts provide a stunning background for the barrel. Roast comes through underneath, submissive to the whiskey but providing an offsetting bite.

The balance on this beer is simply superb. That's the only way to describe it. Drinkable? I could put away a couple of these by myself & probably wake up in Charon's boat. Swigging it is pure joy, it's silky smooth, no heat at all, no alcohol, just dark, bitter flavors melded expertly with the barrel.

Why is this not in the top 100? That's a crime. One of the best beer of 2010 for me to date, & one of the best barrel-aged beers I've had. Hats off to Great Divide, & I can't wait try the rest of this series now.

07-01-2010 03:07:55 | More by maximum12
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle #246/470. Sensory deprivation black. The dark brown sugar colored crown has the same loose, bubbly, unsticky texture as most barrel-aged ales. It persists reasonably well and manages to leave a few scattered sheets of lace in the end. Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti are visual masterpieces. This one isn't, but it's still a mighty fine looker.

I don't care what barrels Great Divide ages this RIS in, it's always going to smell amazing. Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey was as good a choice as any... and better than many. It may not be bourbon, technically speaking, but it's pretty damn close to the same thing. The chocolate and coffee aromas of the stout are perfectly accented by the whiskey.

After the first several ounces, it's obvious that aging Yeti for 20 months rather than the originally planned 9 months turned out beautifully. The beer has just the right amount of whiskey character (if you love whiskey) without tasting the least bit woody or overly oaky. Like I said, Yeti is one of the world's finest stouts and can stand up to just about anything.

Given the ABV, it's amazing how well the alcohol is masked. It isn't completely obliterated, but then I wouldn't want it to be. Better to leave some of the beer's burliness intact. The total body warming and the spreading sense of well-being is intoxicating (literally). Slowly sipping all 750 ml is going to make this a very good late afternoon and evening.

It's quite possible that I've never had a more perfect marriage of stout and whiskey. Some barrel-aged stouts have been just as delicious perhaps, but few (if any) have been better. If that doesn't deserve the ultimate taste score, then I don't know what does. No wonder this brewery is a perennial member of my 'Top 10 American Breweries' list.

The flavor profile includes melted Hershey bars, a generous shot of espresso, a small shot of Sambucca, caramelized sugar, vanilla beans and toasted oak barrel staves. Molasses and smoke aren't present and aren't missed. I don't know if one year of age is the ideal time to be drinking this beer... but it might as well be.

I would like to issue a formal apology to GD Barrel Aged Yeti for thinking that its mouthfeel wasn't up to snuff during the first glassful. Now that it's middle of the bottle time, it's hard to imagine how it could be improved. Lush, plush, smooth, silky... mere words don't do it justice, so I'll stop trying.

My expectations for Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti were stratospheric. The fact that it has exceeded those expectations is mind-boggling. It's a shame that only 470 bottles were released because this is one of the best beers to have ever entered my glass.

08-16-2009 21:31:44 | More by BuckeyeNation
Buebie

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked this up from russpowell in our Darkness trade. Thanks Russ!

This is bottle #23 out of 470

I've been sitting on this for 2 months and I could not wait any longer.
This is a 750ml brown bottle with a classy thick tin wrapping at the kneck.
Popped the cap and a nice hiss gives way. Poured into my surly tulip. Black as night with a gorgeous dark brown 2 inch head. The head is a heavy whipped cream with lots of globby bubbles. The head finally settles almost 10 minutes later leaving a quarter inch of retention. The lace is so bubbly and thick it looks like a sponge is lineing the walls of the glass.

The smell resembles the original yeti, but to my surprise its soo much more aromatic. Giveing way to rich milky sweet chocolate, delicious lightly toasted oak and some wonderful and modest amounts of whisky. Theres vanilla bean aroma in there too, but man this is probably the best barrel aged beer I've ever had the chance to smell. Nutty cocoa powder nib like aroma, it smells like chocolate cake from Woullette bakery.

Mouthfeel is delightly thick and creamy with just a touch of carbonation. This is so good its sinfull.
Starting out very very nutty with cocoa nibs and hazelnuts. The taste reminds me a little of Mephestopheles with that chocolate hazelnut flavor. A little similar to Frangelico with the same desert like sweetness and alcahol warming.
Becomming increasingly oaky. Whiskey and oak come busrting through at the swallow, its so mellow and smooth. Every flavor complimenting the other and not overwhelming all that is going on here.
A touch of alcahol coming through just before the swallow. Even that little bit of alcahol is nothing as this is 12.2% its very well hidden. Its not boozy or hot.

This finishes mildly sweet with a slick coating on my mouth and tounge all the way down my throat. Lingering oak, whiskey and chocolate stay for several minutes.

This is on the list of top 10 beers I've ever had. Must drink before you die.

copy past this link into your browser for some serious head.

and lace!

01-29-2009 19:39:46 | More by Buebie
drgonzo3705

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured on tap at the Buckeye Beer Engine 2007 Barrel Aged in Stranahans Colorado Whiskey barrels.

A: Beautiful black with a nice mocha colored head

S: Nice dark malts, molasses, and whiskey.

T: Goes with the smell. Dark sweetness with just enough whiskey to say hello.

M: Thick and creamy with a fair amount of carbonation.

D: Good. I want to order another but would much rather drink this at home over a little time.

02-07-2009 19:58:30 | More by drgonzo3705
cosmicevan

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

massive thanks to quindog for hand delivering these puppies from the west coast. with rumors of a potential infection, i had to pop my first bottle.

2011 vintage - enjoyed in southampton irs snifter
bottle # 1306

a - brew poured a chocolatey black with a reasonable sized chocolate brown (yes chocolate can be brown or black) head that was gone within a minute leaving traces on the surface. brew looks thick and chunky...a bit more lively than most BA brews and even has some spotty lacing. attractive ris for sure. swirling rebuilds the surface magic.

s - definitely does NOT smell of any infection...in fact it has that wonderful stranahan whiskey in stout smell. i really LOVE the combo of this whiskey with stouts and porters. lots of wood, and there she is...yeti...with still plenty of hops now what 5 or 6 months since release...nice! that stranahan smell really is wonderful and blends nice with the hoppy chocolate of yeti.

t - WOW. that is a monster of a delicious beer. WHAT a beer! infection...HA! i laugh at your rumors. this beer is phenomenal. creamy and rich. milk chocolate. hersheys ain't got nothing on this beer. the stranahan whiskey is just a PERFECT match for this one (and most stouts/porters). i always found yeti to be a bit hoppy, but this one is tamed back...to perfection.

m - creamy and rich. full and coats my mouth. cooling. wonderful whiskey finish.

o - screw bourbon barrel aging. STRANAHAN ALL DAY! these barrels are magic. pappy...HAH! these barrels are the truth. every beer i've tried from these have blown me away (although i've always been more of a whiskey guy than a bourbon guy). i've heard rumors of infection, i don't know if they are true...but this bottle was divine. if you got em, pop em...can't imagine this getting much better, and i'm holding my other bottle for a little bit since if there is an infection it is certainly not wide-spread. killer beer.

*** ** * ** ***
EDIT 2012-06-08 Bottle #1331 - INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED

GROSSS!!!

03-10-2012 03:08:43 | More by cosmicevan
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

2011, bottle no. 1574

Poured at cellar temp, it is pitch black with a 3 finger head of tan foam and when the foam shrinks, it leaves some nice lacing.

The smell of whiskey is up front and in your fac...err..nose. There's some notes of dark fruits and a pretty beefy nose of vanilla. Smells damn good.

The flavours are all over the place but work SO well. Big whiskey though not as dominant as in the smell. Very Malty with a nice not over the top sweetness, roasted malt is done nicely, a bit of dark fruit, vanilla, chocolate, some coffee?, toffee, an ever so slight presence of an alcohol bite. Marvelous!

Full bodied, hell yes, with a nice lightish level of carbonation, the mouthfeel, just like the rest of what this beer offers, is amazing.

Take all of what I wrote and put them together, this IS an amazing brew! /me shaking my head. The only reason I don't give this a 5 overall is that it is so damn strong/warming. I *could* have..

03-18-2012 16:19:37 | More by Bitterbill
Jeffo

Netherlands

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Received a bottle of this gem from Shaebs99. Thanks a lot for the killer trade.

From a 750 into a snifter.
Vintage: 2009
Bottle 712 of 1104

Note: Drunk immediately after the regular Yeti for comparative purposes.

APPEARANCE: Same as the regular Yeti. Pours out pitch black and thick, producing a one finger, thick, mocha colored head with great retention. Jet black body with little carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a good wisp and clings to the sides of the glass. A splotchy wisp and ring remain and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass. Thick, viscous looking imperial stout.

SMELL: Lots of bourbon here for sure. Whisky and vanilla, accompanied by some oak notes as well. Roasted malts and baker's chocolate are still there, with some smoky elements as well, but the bourbon is the main act here. The chocolate and hoppy notes take a back seat in this version, but the bold barrel presence brings other interesting things to the table.

TASTE: Yup, this is where it's at. Roasted malts and baker's chocolate still there, and are still the greeter up front. Soon after, however, the barrel assaults full force. Bourbon, vanilla, and lots of oak flavors burst though, but notes of bitter, chocolaty hops still make their way though. Well put together and incredibly well balanced. Not at all barrel dominant like the nose had suggested. Bold and lingering aftertaste or roasted malts and bitter chocolate, all well balanced and complimented by the barrel. Stupendous.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. The barrel has thinned out the body every so slightly, but given how thick Yeti is, this doesn't detract at all. Still very creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Stellar feel for the style.

OVERALL: Another top notch, killer variant on the Yeti. As far as barrel aged stouts go, it doesn't get much better than this. Though the nose was quite barrel heavy, the taste profile is the perfect example of how barrel aging can add to an already wonderful base beer without dominating or spoiling it. Well integrated and superbly done. Possibly the best barrel aged stout in production. Thanks again Shaebs99. Beauty!

01-29-2011 21:01:53 | More by Jeffo
Chico1985

4.72/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage shared by cbutova, awesome surprise beer.

Looks like all other yetis, black body, nice brown head retains well and leaves lacing.

Chocolate, roast, whiskey, vanilla in the nose.

Taste is excellent. Big chocolate syrup, roasted malt, vanilla, whiskey, caramel and some oak and a bit of alcohol. Just awesome, great balance, slightly dessert-like but not sweet.

Slick mouthfeel, good amount of carbonation, some booze but not bad considering, pretty easy drinking, great flavor.

Even next to a plethora of great stouts, this was probably the best of the night for me and that opinion seemed unanimous. This is exactly how I'd hope a Barrel Aged Yeti would turn out, base beer still recognizable and in tact with a great whiskey barrel presence without being overpowering. Probably one of the best bourbon barrel stouts I've had, the price is a damn shame though.

12-20-2011 19:58:07 | More by Chico1985
glid02

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle shared by RustyDiamond - thanks!

Pours black with a minimal dark brown head that recedes into thin ring around the glass. No lacing is left however the beer is viscous enough to leave legs.

Smells great. Dark chocolate, whiskey, vanilla, and smooth roasted malt with the vanilla aromas poking out more as the beer warms.

Tastes great as well. The flavors are similar to the aroma with dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt and whiskey all present however they're slightly better integrated when compared to the smell. Absurdly smooth, and while it's boozy the warming burn does more to help the beer than it does to hurt it.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's smooth and hefty with light carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could finish off a bottle of this myself with absolutely no problem.

Overall I've been wanting to try this for a while and I wasn't let down. Well worth seeking out, and thanks again to RustyDiamond for sharing.

11-09-2009 03:13:31 | More by glid02
Urbancaver

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a dark dark brown. A decent amount of brown head. Very pretty. Smells very chocolatey and rich. The bourbon is fairly subtle. On the tongue the bourbon is solid. Lots of chocolate and rich buttery bourbon. Some very light vanilla and roast. Subtle oak but mostly the chocolate is prominent

04-16-2011 20:00:41 | More by Urbancaver
hopfacebrew

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

2011 edition with the new packaging poured to a tulip. Can't make out the bottle number as it rubbed. #1864? Cracked for the Super Bowl. The beer pours thick like crude oil. Opaque. When held to light edges are a deep brown color though again almost black. A small 1/4 finger dark deep brown colored head which fades to a thick film on the surface. Not much lacing to report. A nice blend of cocoa, espresso, bourbon, vanilla, oak, and malty sweetness. A hint of the heat. Very complex and very nice. The flavor starts out with heavy roasted malt character followed by rich cocoa and bourbon flavors. Hints of the oak, vanilla, and even molasses come through. Mild bitterness. Very complex and well balanced. Full bodied with minimal carbonation. Overall, a really impressive and well crafted beer. Complex yet nothing in the flavor is dominant or over the top, very good.

02-07-2012 14:32:18 | More by hopfacebrew
rye726

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

This is the best version of the many Yetis produced by Great Divide. It pours a near black color with a thick espresso head. The nose has a nice blend of oak, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruits, toffee, chocolate, coffee, molasses, roasty malts and subtle hops. The taste is equally complex. Nothing stands out too much, superb balance. Creamy body has delicate carbonation. A fantastic stout.

11-12-2008 06:39:43 | More by rye726
Oxymoron

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

Gooo Stranahans! Pours a midnight black color with a frothy dark tan head. Not as viscous as I would have thought. Limited retention but good lacing for the tasting.

The nose is mostly whiskey. Some of the base beer is present, with a light roast and chocolate backing. But limited. Some minor oaky notes with a hint of vanilla. Some yeast characteristics but light. Some plum and raisin notes.

The taste is amazing. The beer and whiskey notes come out and blend really well together. To start there is a sweetness that quickly balances with the roast and chocolate notes from the beer. But this is then blended with a stronger vanilla flavor that slowly brings out the whiskey and oak characters. Definitely a savory beer. As it warms the yeast note come out. Sugar plums and a bit of cherry notes. A light chalky in the finish.

The body is big. This is a beer that you really need to sit on and enjoy it. Carbonation is a bit high but still good. Overall a fantastic beer.

01-23-2010 22:13:41 | More by Oxymoron
BeerAndBourbon

2009 vintage

A. Dark black with a just a touch of a head that somehow leaves some small traces of lacing.

S. Incredible aroma! Chocolate, oak, beautiful bourbon, vanilla, caramel, dark fruits (raisins and figs). Incredibly complex yet balanced.

T. Dark fruits with caramel sweetness, chocolate malt, oak, bourbon; good level of sweetness

M. Nice, thick and luscious with a nice carbonation level.

D. Supremely drinkable. I like this a lot.

04-16-2011 19:58:16 | More by BeerAndBourbon
hopdog

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

750ml bottle labeled 31/470.

Poured a dark black color with an averaged sized light brown head. Aromas of whisky, wood, some earthiness / dirt, roast, vanilla, and coffee. Tastes of whisky, peat, vanilla, chocolate, caramel, and brown sugar. Creamy and smooth body with the alcohol content fairly well hidden. Some what on the sweeter side.

This one is definitely a sipper. I shared this with a couple of people and I'm glad I did - as good as it was, I would have a hard time finishing off 750ml all by myself.

11-26-2008 18:53:26 | More by hopdog
kfsv034

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Pours black as night with a nice 2 finger head that lingers briefly and dissipates leaving a thin ring around the edge of the glass

S - Candy sugars, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, little coffee

T - taste follows the noise sweet chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, oak, coffee. Lots of sweet sugary flavors.

M - Medium Bodied, borderline thin

D - at 12+% this beer is easy to drink shared a 750 with 4 people wish i could have had more.

08-24-2010 01:44:35 | More by kfsv034