Barrel Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.70% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.
4.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle from the bottle shop at local 44 into some snifters, split with Oglmcdgl.

Off with the shiny foil, Barrel Aged Yeti is a black ass beer. The color is pitch black with some thickness to it. A half inch of tannish, dense foam graces the top, semi sticks.

Smell is out of this world bananas. Very prominent scents of the whiskey/bourbon barrel, almost like sticking your nose into a small snifter of the elixer. A stout is buried under all the barrel with some sweet chocolate and roasted malt scents. Perfect.

Taste is mostly barrel, but the base is standing strong. Huge taste of well integrated bourbon tones with some oak and faint vanilla. The yeti brings out some chocolate and roast ith a hint of dark fruit. This stuff hits the spot.

Thinner in feel than the appearance would lead on. Not a bad thing as Ithink this brings out the barrel character more. A silky above medium bodied beer with light carb and not much heat or alcohol getting in the way.

I was floored by this stuff. Iwent in thinking this would be just another BBA sstout, which it is,but this one kicks ass. I wish I bought more. (1,114 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Reviewed from notes. 750ml bottle shared with some friends over the weekend. It poured pitch black in color with a thin tan head sticking mostly to the edges of the glass. It looked very thick and still in the glass. Pretty inviting appearance for the style.

The aroma has a big dark and bitter-sweet chocolate presence to it. I get some roasty coffee notes mixing with a little burnt bitterness as well. The bourbon is moderate, but very complimenting. The bourbon, oak and vanilla flavors really integrate well into it.

The taste has more of the dark chocolate and roasty bitterness coming out up front. In the finish is where I get more of the bourbon with some oak, vanilla and a little alcohol heat. Like the aroma, the bourbon barrel characteristics really compliment the big chocolaty, roasty coffee flavor profile of the base beer without overpowering it at all.

The mouthfeel is thick and heavy with carbonation being low. Great mouthfeel for my tastes in the style. Overall I thought it was a great beer. I really liked that the base beer shined through and the bourbon barrel flavors complimented instead of dominated. Great range of flavors to it overall and I'm sure it helps that I love the base beer to begin with. (1,235 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%

Checked the batch # on this baby. It's in the "non infected" range. Good....let's drink it!

As usual, the Yeti look is distinct. Dark. Off brown, creamy, thick head. It's a 5

Aroma is Yeti with a pinch of dark raisin, oak and vanilla bourbon added. The roastiness and chocolate of the original Yeti stand up well in this one.

Same with the flavor. The sharpness of the reg. Yeti is smoothed out and vanilla is more in the forefront. Yet the bourbon-ness is subdued compared to other BBA stouts.

Very drinkable. Dangerous. Pair it with nothing...it stands alone (565 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

750 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter. Bottle # 3292. Not infected!

Appearance - Jet black. No light pierces even as it pours into the glass. Nice mocha head. Almost as dark as a Zhukov head. Excellent retention.

Smell - Well it's boozy, but the other aromas are very nice. Whiskey and oak. The barrel character itself isn't as prominent as the oak and whiskey (as in, I don't get as much vanilla as I'd like). As a result, the stout comes through more, though. I get the chocolate character of Yeti as well as the grassy hops.

Taste - The whiskey is less prominent here. It's almost as through the barrel has added a booziness without adding a tremendous amount more. There is an oak presence that's nice, though. Strong chocolate. The hop presence of Yeti is cut nicely, though. That's probably the best aspect of the barrel in the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Boozy. Extremely chewy. Nice. Hot and slightly bitter. Medium carbonation.

Overall - I'm critical, but it's a very nice drink. If I don't analyze every sip, I really like it. If I think about it too much, I nit pick the details and it's not as good as I'd like it to be. (1,131 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to hopdog for opening this one. Bottle #31/470...
Appears an opaque black with a small, dark tan head that slowly fades out into a mild cap. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, cocoa, toasted cashews, and noticable abv.
Taste is of the vanilla, cocoa, along with espresso, cocoa beans, and bananas coming through in the flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, nutty, bitey, with a slightly hot finish. (437 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

12/01/2011

2011 batch (aged for 9 months in Stranahan's whiskey barrels) poured into a snifter. Bottle #2704 - 10.7% ABV. The last time I tried this beer was when the first batch was released. It's been a long time.

A: Appears ebony, exhibiting a level of viscosity that would make a rheologist gape in wonder. The head forms two fingers of Sepia froth. Great looking beer.

S: I get caramel with a lot of roast and a light coffee presence. There's some fusel alcohol that stings the nostrils but it's faint. Whiskey is aromatic and pleasant, blending with vanilla and oak - there's a lot of oak. Dark fruit is restrained.

T: Lightly bitter up front with notes of earth, dark chocolate, and cocoa. I get a little caramel with accompanying fudge. The Stranahan's whiskey barrels provide notes of whiskey and vanilla, and malt effects a strong roasted characteristic with subtle burnt notes. Brown sugar appears midpalate and grows stronger in the caramel fudge whiskey finish. Alcohol is well masked until the finish.

M: Full in body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is silky with pleasant alcohol warming.

Overall: This is certainly a good barrel aged Imperial Stout, but it isn't in the upper tier. I'd definitely purchase a glass of it if offered the chance, but I wouldn't buy another bottle. (1,312 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a jet black with good carbonation and a big brown head. Nose is big roasted notes, bourfbon, booze, vanilla. Taste is phenom! Lots of wood, whiskey is not overpowering and prominnent all the way, vanilla midway to the end, booze, chocolate, tobacco even. Mouthfeel is big n rich with lots of wood, booze, vanilla, roasted character. I did detect coffee and some smoke as well but as it warmed. Very, very drinkable but for the price I will stay with Ivan the Terrible. (475 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4%

From 750mL bottle to snifter on 11/13/11 at a small tasting with friends
*From notes

-- Many thanks, Ed --

A: Pow! From the first drop, it's easy to tell that this dark wonder is gonna coat the glass and then some. Motor oil, anyone? A standard pour yields a dense, 1.5 finger creamy mocha head.

S: Extremely vinous. Not much wood or smoke is picked up, moreover it's compact dark fruit.

T: The flavor profile is quite similar to the nose. I don't really get a whole bunch of tannin or char. Instead I'm getting a lot of chocolate, the 40% dark kind. The finish is yet again a bit vine fruity.

M: Right on target. Rich, thick, creamy and so forth. Know what a killer stout feels like? Ok then.

O: Not quite the beer I was expecting. Great Divide's Barrel Aged Yeti is certainly a good beer, it's just packing a ton of dark fruit that, with age, might dissipate. Though I found this more then enjoyable, there are certainly better limited release RIS's out worth hunting. (976 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.2%

Douglas88 brought this to the weekend RIS tasting.. 1st vintage.. bottle #294/470... Reviewed from notes.

Big head though it didn't stick around...

Nose has tons of whiskey and some heat.. vanilla and plenty of citrus hops.. I think the hops collide a bit too much.

Palate begins with bunches of alcohol (mainly from the barrel) .. a little hot IMO.. vanilla and lite cherry... whiskey is HUGE and not really in a good way.. less than expected RIS characteristics.. descent cocoa and lesser dark malts.. citrus hops are still very available.. the whiskey notes are a too pronounced for my palate... Body was only medium, and the carbonation seemed pretty high.

I had high hopes for this one, but it sorta left me flat.. I need to get a fresh bottle(s) of this to share with the Boise crew.

Awesome Doug.. thanks for supplying this wild card .. You will always be welcome in Boise and in my home, but the rule is, "we quit drinking at 5:00 am"... no questions and no exceptions :-)

4/4.5/4/3.5/4 (1,001 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

2011 vintage, bottle #2866.

This beer pours a full bodied lifeless black in color with only the slightest beige lacing. The nose features plenty of dark roasted malt, smooth milk chocolate, bitter chocolate, light whiskey but I don't find it to be Stranahans specific. It is exceptionally smooth. The flavors are very well integrated. It features dark roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, oak, light whiskey and slight char. It's nice and even resembles some aged Dark Lords. I really like it, but it isn't too terribly far from the original. It drinks full bodied and oily, perfect for the style. Overall this is a fantastic beer, thank god it wasn't infected! (680 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottle, opened at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013.

Pours dark black, creamy coffee colored head but not a lot of it.

Smells of tangy sweet fruit, caramel and vanilla, a bit of bourbon, something slighty grassy that I imagine is from faded hops.

Taste is fudgy but light, wood and caramel, that mild grassy character again.

Nicely carbed for a big BA stout, body is a little thinner than I'd like but still good.

This is a good beer but pretty disappointing to me. I'm a huge fan of regular Yeti with a few years on it, and I've been enjoying the hell out of my last few bottles of 2008 Yeti, so I figured this would be phenomenal. But oddly I get more faded hop character from the BA version, and less of the delicious mellow maltiness.

7.3/10 (750 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -31.5%

A: poured black in color with a little dar brown head that left very little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: plenty of whiskey in the aroma with lots of caramel signs of going infected with tart character but did manage to detect brown sugar.

T: like I suspected it is going infected which the tart character gave away alongside lots of booze oaky notes, some caramel but it was definitely infected.

M: the brew was medium in body with fair amount of carbonation which had infected qualities all around.

O: I honestly wish I had a tasty bottle to drink like most of the people who gave this beer a great rating; oh well. (624 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

750 ml foiled bottle, bottle # 48. Big thanks to Denver Dave for sharing this rarity!

Pours a deep and opaque black, no light gets through, just black, big thick brown head forms, slowly rises up and drops some nice lace spots, very good retention for the strength. Smell is nice, bourbon, vanilla, oak, chocolate, lots of roast, alcohol, dark fruit, espresso, bourbon is very well integrated. Taste is similar, very dark and roasty, bitter chocolate, bourbon, alcohol, vanilla, toffee, bit of lactic oak, very rich flavour, figs, well integrated and I could see this being outstanding in a couple years when everything melds together better. Mouthfeel is viscous and chewy, thick syrupy body, low to medium carbonation, very nice. This was a treat, I think it worked well, and it will improve over the next couple years. (822 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

2011, bottle no. 1574

Poured at cellar temp, it is pitch black with a 3 finger head of tan foam and when the foam shrinks, it leaves some nice lacing.

The smell of whiskey is up front and in your fac...err..nose. There's some notes of dark fruits and a pretty beefy nose of vanilla. Smells damn good.

The flavours are all over the place but work SO well. Big whiskey though not as dominant as in the smell. Very Malty with a nice not over the top sweetness, roasted malt is done nicely, a bit of dark fruit, vanilla, chocolate, some coffee?, toffee, an ever so slight presence of an alcohol bite. Marvelous!

Full bodied, hell yes, with a nice lightish level of carbonation, the mouthfeel, just like the rest of what this beer offers, is amazing.

Take all of what I wrote and put them together, this IS an amazing brew! /me shaking my head. The only reason I don't give this a 5 overall is that it is so damn strong/warming. I *could* have.. (945 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 2.2.13
2011 Bottle 0829

A - Pours a dark brown with a dark tan head that fades to half and sits.

S - Woody, booze, chocolate, acidic cherry - hmmmm.

T - Booze, chocolate, coffee, and a touch of cherry. Infection?

D - Mild carbonation and a heavy body.

O - Big BA Stout, slight signs of infection, but nothing that ruined the beer. Very drinkable. (368 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

750ml bottle poured into St Bernardus glass with Mattsander and alpineclimber 12/10/12

A more light would escape from a black hole, just a thumbnail of a cola edge, even the foams dark, real dark, its short lived and leaves some polka dot lacing but the darkness of liquid and foam alike impresses

S dark fruit and oak are strong with some boozy vanilla, more earthy woody notes the barrel has left a mark for sure, I want to love the smell but its just a little boozy

T has a tangy twinge to it if that makes sense, a little sour fruit in the mix with licorice, wood, more wood, then the char kicks in, more sour notes with some dark coffee.

M not as thick as the color would let you believe but far from watery, that tangy twinge is a strange sensation, some heat and the char and coffee linger on the finish

O needs too mellow out but the faint sour notes and tangy sensation makes me think an infection might be setting in but perhaps it’s in my head. Not sure if I’d age this or not, either way it’s pretty decent stuff today

not my favorite from the Yeti’s but still solid, its great stuff if you like woody stouts, I’m not 100% sure if the sour notes are intended but its working pretty well.

Edit- The above was from notes and after reading a few other reviews perhaps there’s an infection setting in. Changes nothing I still liked the beer and if we did have an off bottle it wasn’t off by much as we all enjoyed it. (1,449 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

750 ml bottle received in the White Whale 4 BIF, 2009 bottle if I'm not mistaken. Bottle 33/1104. Opened a few days before the year 2012.

It pours dark brown, nearly black, with a mocha-colored foam. In other words it looks like Yeti stout. The aroma is special though, lots of whiskey. Sweet and roasted malts behind that of course. It's very tasty, loads of bourbon flavor without any heat. Not as sweet as Eclipse, also a little thicker than Eclipse (an easy comparison as so many Eclipse variations just came out).

Very solid but not really any more special than more accessible BA stouts such as BA BORIS. Nevertheless I was glad for the chance to try it. (664 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle shared by RustyDiamond - thanks!

Pours black with a minimal dark brown head that recedes into thin ring around the glass. No lacing is left however the beer is viscous enough to leave legs.

Smells great. Dark chocolate, whiskey, vanilla, and smooth roasted malt with the vanilla aromas poking out more as the beer warms.

Tastes great as well. The flavors are similar to the aroma with dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt and whiskey all present however they're slightly better integrated when compared to the smell. Absurdly smooth, and while it's boozy the warming burn does more to help the beer than it does to hurt it.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's smooth and hefty with light carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could finish off a bottle of this myself with absolutely no problem.

Overall I've been wanting to try this for a while and I wasn't let down. Well worth seeking out, and thanks again to RustyDiamond for sharing. (978 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2011 Vintage Bottle # 1449

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a deep dark brownish black hue with a good solid almost 2 finger deep milk chocolate head that fades to leave light side lacing and a nice thin cloud. Very nice.

S - Fearing infection I take a deep sniff. Ah, no sign of it! Nice bakers chocolate, slight roasty malts, and good whiskey notes. Not boozy at all just solid whiskey aroma. Faint barrel as well. Again, quite solid.

T - FUCK. Pretty sure I'm getting some infection here as my first taste is....sour! Damnit. Tastes like chocolate covered cherries, some wine notes. Not getting much whiskey at all. Fainter barrel notes but yeah, this is very infected. The nose trolled me.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated albeit a bit on the sharp side.

O - Overall I knew there was a risk with this bottle, still I could not smell any hints of it then I take a sip and WHAM, disappointment. Oh well, looking forward to revisiting this considering I just drain poured this whole bottle. (997 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from the 2009 release (the second one) received in a trade with bardwashrind. Thanks Andre! I popped this one at our impromptu tasting last night. Bottle # 805/1104

Yeti is one of the best looking beer ever and this just proves it. Jet black with a dense, dark brown head with excellent retention and lacing, this is gorgeous. The nose is just as good, milky, creamy with a whiskey aroma that's fairly low in the mix. Roasty with dark chocolate and some coffee, the whiskey lends a mellow touch of vanilla. With a touch of alcohol (nowhere near the 12.3% indicated on the label.

The palate opens with a blend of creamy milk chocolate, whiskey heat, a mellow whiskey flavor with some vanilla and a little oak. The coffee characteristics are fairly mellow too, there's a mild sweetness mid palate. Roasty and chocolate-like, this is smooth and delicate. Full in body with a creamy, long-lasting finish with a lingering bitterness and a subtle heat, this is exceptional stuff. Too bad I'm going to have a hard time finding this again... (1,043 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

750ml bottle generously shared by jdiddy. 2011 vintage. Pours two shades shy of black with no head. Nose expresses dried cocoa. Taste is pure brilliance - cocoa, whiskey, wood and a hint of peanut butter. Mouthfeel is medium in consistency with a slight acidity and lightly oily texture. Carbonation falls just short of lively - if the carbonation dropped off a bit, it would really enhance the overall character. Overall, a very good BA RIS - not top tier, but very solid and quite enjoyable. (493 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark viscous black with a bubbly tan head. The nose has lots of wood, notes of dark chocolate, light hints of smoke meat, and some sweet malts. The flavor has lots of wood again, a litte boozy and hot, notes of malt and ashy chocolate with lots of sugar. More heat in the finish with a mdium to full body, syrupy and light carbonation. Singular and overly sweet with a bit too much heat. (395 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%

Review #200! Bottle number 486 of 1104. Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Pours pitch black with a one finger almost brown head that subsided to a minimal amount VERY slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, coffee, chocolate, and a hint of alcohol. The flavor was of malt, alcohol, subtle chocolate, with a massive whiskey flavor upon swallowing that was followed up by coffee. It was heavy on the palate with low carbonation. Overall the booze in this one was quite evident to put it lightly. I wish that was not the case as I'm sure it probably masked a lot of the subtle flavors that might have been present in this one. This was still quite nice despite this fact and I recommend any Yeti fan to track this one down and enjoy it. (780 characters)

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Bottle #3621; poured into a snifter

Shared with Jebus3513

Pours an oily, rich black with a small, creamy mocha brown cap that rises up about one finger and settles to some thin bubbles and a small collar.

The nose is burnt vanilla, smokey/peaty whiskey, dry oak, and large amounts of ethanol. It's a little difficult to get through all the ethanol, but the aromas are relatively standard. Some plums/dark fruit as it warms.

Burnt brown sugar, whiskey soaked plums, oak dryness, dark roast really shines as this warms to room temp. Ethanol present throughout, some decent warming. This is a delicious BA RIS with huge overtones of oak and whiskey.

Full, thick body with an oily feel. This is on the thicker end of the spectrum for sure. Good amount of heat. Smooth, given the size of this guy.

This is a damn fine beer, much like the rest of the series. A fine RIS with loads of flavor. Huge, robust barrel aging influence. (928 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle poured into a taster glass. Huge thanks to Matt for sharing! This one I have been looking to try for quite some time.

(A)- Pours pitch black with some tan bubbles.

(S)- A robust sweetness with lots of raisin, molasses, and a syrupy bourbon oak profile.

(T)- A really nice robust and rich stout with an even greater bourbon and oak presence that far surpasses what was showing in the aroma. Really nice raisin and molasses/cocoa behind it on the finish.

(M)- A very mellow carbonation level, but it is balanced well with rich raisin/cocoa and superb bourbon oak nuances.

(O)- Overall, a great barrel aged stout. Rich and decadent with again, superb bourbon barrel oak components without making this overly boozy. Well done. (741 characters)

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company