Barrel Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Barrel Aged YetiBarrel Aged Yeti

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 10-08-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barrel Aged Yeti Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks for sharing this one, Craig.

Pitch black and totally opaque, capped by a leather-hued collar.

Spicy oak overwhelms the aroma at first. As it breathes and opens up, I can pick out vanilla and dark bitter chocolate, licorice and roasted barley. There isn't much whiskey character, but the oak leaves a huge mark.

The palate has flavors of black licorice, roasted barley, baker's chocolate and a light dark fruit character that makes me think of roasted figs. There's a ton of oak character as well, spicy and tannic with a hint of whiskey. Full bodied but fairly dry, and very spicy, tannic and bitter in the finish.

I slightly prefer regular old Yeti, but this is quite good.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Review number 666! Been saving this beer for this occasion. Great stuff but not as good as the Parabola I had right before it. Review from notes:

Dark pour, almost black, tan head with nice whisps of lacing down the tulip.

Aroma is boozy, light oxidation, some dark chocolate, roast is subdued.

Taste is a touch thin, boozy again with some more chocolate. Sweet caramel, maybe some coffee and oak? Hard to tell. Roastiness is mellow, needs some more bitterness. Well aged indeed, smooth, low carbonation. I wouldn't let this one go any further if I had any other bottles sitting around.

Overall easy drinking, needs a touch more carbonation to cover up some of the aged qualities.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Paul very graciously split a bottle of this with me on my porch last night.

Bottle 491/1104

This beer appears a near black with about one inch of beige head resting atop the darkness. There is a nice coating of lacing throughout the glass. The aroma is big, with a heavy whiskey presence followed by roasted malt and chocolate. BA Yeti is a great tasting beer, no doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed my half of the bottle. While there is certainly some noticeable heat in both the aroma and taste, I never felt that it detracted from the overall flavor of the beer. The feel is thick, viscous and wonderful with a warming alcohol finish. This beer was a treat, and I really enjoyed it.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Great Minds Drink Alike...Bottle 199 of 1104. Jet black with a full finger foamy dark brown head with good hang time and reasonable stringy patterns of lacing that I'd expect from a beverage of this weight. The smell is classic barrel aged roasted malt goodness. The mouth feel is right on..silky smooth with that incredible coating texture that I look forward to in my favorite Double Stouts. The nose and the mouth match up quite nicely; a great balance of barrel and the roasted malt. Silky smooth, one hell of a drinker!! Full flavored chocolaty mocha malt and whiskey. A tiny sip captures the entire experience and lingers really nicely. Reminds me a lot of the oak aged product but the whiskey licorice character comes through with a huge presence. Great job on this one. Ton of fun considering this one...many thanks Mark!!

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Thanks to two fine traders, wyoming & fiver29, who offered me a bottle of this brew that I'd been lusting after for a long time within one week of one another. If I had to choose between these two A+ traders, I'd refuse under torture. Thanks guys, I hope we meet many times again in boxes & styrofoam peanuts.

Bottle 94/1104, split with my wife on an evening without children. Pour is dead, starless night, with some mocha scattered along its crown. Smell is absolutely, fuck-on beautiful, with the Stranahan's coming out to meet the malts dead-on, with both playing Bach in my nose hairs. Roast touches my senses, too.

Barrel Aged Yeti. Wow. This pummels my palate, then veers off in another direction, & ultimately coats my mouth about fifteen seconds after the first sip, settling in, dominating everything it touches, whisking away everything else I've tasted today (& yesterday). The barrel is something else. Vanilla & whiskey rising in Capricorn, washing all the other flavors. Deep, Hades-deep, malts provide a stunning background for the barrel. Roast comes through underneath, submissive to the whiskey but providing an offsetting bite.

The balance on this beer is simply superb. That's the only way to describe it. Drinkable? I could put away a couple of these by myself & probably wake up in Charon's boat. Swigging it is pure joy, it's silky smooth, no heat at all, no alcohol, just dark, bitter flavors melded expertly with the barrel.

Why is this not in the top 100? That's a crime. One of the best beer of 2010 for me to date, & one of the best barrel-aged beers I've had. Hats off to Great Divide, & I can't wait try the rest of this series now.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: pours a beautiful and placid dark chocolate with about a finger of mocha head, that while disappearing at a fairly expectable rate, leaves a nice ring around the rim. Looks like the type of beer I'd want to take a picture of. Very still, pretty, and dessert-like. Very crisp and fine lacing dances down the side of the glass after each sip.

Smell is whiskey and molasses, mixed with some caramel and toffee notes as well. Some raisin, cherry, and earth notes in the background, as well as a smooth vanilla and a more subtle cream.

Taste: Whiskey is apparent in the taste as well, though it's not hot. I expect this one to become infinitely more complex as it warms. There's a ton of barrel notes, as well as a woody earthiness. A bit of brown sugar and molasses, but at least before this one warms, not much in the way of fruit taste--maybe some slight cherries or raisins. Sweeter notes (even a bit syrupy) come out as it warms, as well as some peppermint and anise.

Mouthfeel is good on this smooth, thick bodied brew. It's lightly carbonated, with crisp, tiny bubbles that fall flat mid-sip. Perhaps would be better if they sustained more. Slight, pleasant aftertaste of hops and whisky. This one may get better as it warms as well.

Drinkability is looow. One sip in and I know this one could easily knock me on my ass. A pleasure to drink, though.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Rarest of the five incarnation of the yeti, shared at a tasting recently. Very excited about this one.

Beer served in a tiny tulip. Beer is pitch black, even at the corners. Forms a brown head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. I can't tell the carbonation levels but at the interface of the glass I can't see any activity. Doesn't mean much though.

Aroma is hot. Lots of alcohol in there. What's the % on this? 12? You can smell it for sure. Nice malt sweetness and some roasted stuff as well. I can't really smell the barrel. I suppose that's good.

Beer is medium to full bodied and pretty sweet. Would the sweetness go down aftertime or would it sour at all if left alone? Beer finishes slightly dry and there is a lot of boozy / subtle wood character. Overall the beer was good but I should have had it with the Oak aged side by side. So far that's been my favorite.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Been waiting for this one for some time. Bottle 286/1104.

A - Black, espresso 'crema' head. Spotty lace.

S - Deep rich mocha, malt, some coffee, chocolate chip cookies.

T - Taste is smell ++. Nice ++

M - Lighter seeming in tasting than I would have thought but still heavy and viscous. Good carb. Great coating and balance.

D - I would even though I would pay. Too tasty.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Happy to have found this one laying around. Poured into a tulip glass. Aged in Stranahan whiskey barrels.

2010 release; #236/1104

A- Pours a dark, chocolate brownie color. Produced two fingers with of creamy, mocha colored head. Great head retention. Reduced to a fingers width of head throughout consumption. Very nice lacing to boot.

S- Tremendous aroma. Complex, but integrated perfectly to create a singular delicate note. Mix of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, and oak. I could sniff this all day.

T- Theme for the taste is "big bourbon flavors, without the big heat." Right off the bat, the Stranahan barrel is unmistakable. Oak with good bourbon flavor and a touch of vanilla. Coffee and chocolate malts come in midway through. Finishes with a strong bourbon flavor with a touch of alcohol heat.

M- Heavy bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Good viscosity, could have used a little more.

D- The bourbon flavor can get overwhelming at points. Still pretty drinkable for a bourbon forward RIS.

One of the better big bourbon beers I have had. Can't wait to try this one again.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

750ml bottle #921/1104 from the 2010 release.

A: pours the usual Yeti jet black with caramel color half finger head. lacing is spotty at best

S: aroma comes flying out of the glass with strong hints of roasted malts and coffee beans, chocolate, oak and whiskey

T: wow, fantastic. the taste is very similar to the nose. the first thing I got from it was a chocolate, molasses combo. then the whiskey and oak comes out with roasted malts and faint hints of vanilla. got even better as it warmed up

M: feels oily and thick. lighter carbonation than the regular Yeti but was very nice

D: considering the abv, 12.3% on the label, it was insanely drinkable. very smooth and easy to sip on with minimal alcohol burn. the whiskey notes are perfect and warms the throat just right as you drink it.

Overall, I'm thrilled to have tried this beer and am even more thrilled to have another one in my cellar to open at some point in the next couple years. Very well done Great Divide!

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally got the chance to taste this, very excited.

Pours black with a viscous offwhite head, huge legs.

Aroma is mostly bourbon with some coffee and dark roast.

Flavor is all about the bourbon and roast blending together.

Really enoyimg this, don't think I need a huge amount of it bit very tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Batch 2 (#728 or 1104) 750ml bottle shared with the bartender Matt at Copper Mine Pub in North Arlington, NJ on 4/11/10.

From notes....

Appearance: Pours black with a 2 finger cafe latte crown that shows moderate retention and decent lace.

Smell: Well roasted malt, very smoothed out, refined, and well integrated whiskey note, and a hint of oak sweetness.

Taste: Mild hop bitterness makes an appearance but this one is all about the well integrated high quality whiskey and deep roast malt.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, heavy, satisfying.

Drinkability: Dangerously drinkable.

My favorite Great Divide Beer by far...Home run!

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Dvelcich threw a great tasting, and I was lucky enough to snag an invite. Thanks to stoutfest for providing this bottle for us to sample.

Poured into Duvel tulip-

I gave this a vigorous pour...It is really dark inky black in color with a caramel colored head that is very slight-- less than a finger. Some spotty lace is present, nothing major, but it is there.

Smell gets a little caramel, toffee and big chocolate. Roasty chocolate and whiskey. Little vanilla of hint and charred oak, but they aren't the main stars here, not even close. The hugest tastes are the chocolate and whiskey... But you get a little more of the oakiness and vanilla flavors than the nose would suggest.

The carbonation level is pretty good for a barell aged brew, and it is big and thick. Drinks very easily for a whiskey aged beer-- which is probably owed to how well-balanced this one is. The whiskey isn't kicking your teeth in with harshness, it actually blends into the flavor profile to create something better. Something balanced as an overall experience where whiskey is just a part of it.

The barrel aged and the espresso are easily the best of the Yeti line up, in my opinion, and if you see either one, pick it up.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle shared by someone awesome at DLD. I can't remember who, as I was three - or even four - sheets to the wind by that point, but I did make some decent beer notes on this one, so here goes.

Pours jet black and slightly viscous with a one-finger tan head that leaves some swirls on the beer.

Aroma jumps out at you with everything you want from a beer like this. Very roasty with coffee, chocolate, oak, whiskey, and vanilla.

Flavor is similarly intense and awesome. The whiskey and oak really assert themselves thanks to this beer's very long (20 month) residence in the -bals. I did not see barrels when I visited Great Divide, but hell, I guess they must be somewhere. The awesomeness of regular Yeti also comes through, with roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, and even some hops.

The mouthfeel is great, smooth and slick with fairly full body.

I am rarely one to speak badly of a -bal aged imperial stout, and this is not going to break that trend. This beer is awesome. They should make more of it. Drinkable for the 12.2%. I might be able to finish a bomber of this.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

750 mL silver foil and capped bottle, #816/1104, courtesy of Bardwashrind - thanks to a great and patient trader. Part of my cellar cleanout program. Poured in to a tulip.

Appearance: Pours an absolutely shatteringly deep charcoal black, entirely opaque, and devoid of any hint of translucence around the edges. This is one dark, dark beer, but then again, Yeti was always a petrifyingly dark brew. Its barrel aged cousin is no different, though, and is capped initially by one full finger of erratic and pockmarked head, lightly frappéd espresso hued, but with relatively poor retention, fazing and fading to a thin collar within a minute or two. There is, however, a surprising amount of lacing, which lets you know that - even though this Yeti may be barrel aged and thinned - it's still the same old highly hopped Yeti. Nicely dried, windswept-sand-esque patterns are strewn along the non-sip side of the tulip, and glittery and discretely moist dollops bejewel the other side. A solid start.

Aroma: Fudgy brownie transitions to earthy, leafy hops transitions to a sweet, spicy whiskey kiss. Almost harsh at places, I think this may be this beer's weakest component, particularly as it warms (where it's reduced to hershey's syrup and whiskey). Initially, you get a nice, sweet array of malts, milk chocolate, faint coffee, nice toastiness, a few hop notes, and a nice amount of slight coconut-esque barrel aging presence with (obviously) a ton of whiskey. It stays this way long enough to where it's still, on the whole, pretty solid - I've just been savoring it for a long while ...

Taste: Definite Yeti, in all its glory, but with a huge kick. At the first, the malts are precisely where you want them to be - dark, deep, toasted, but not overly astringent or too dry to provide a counterpart to the hop and barrel notes. Sweet, fudgy brownies, milk chocolate, faint coffee, toast, anise, and dark toffee notes literally drown the tongue, intense, all-encompassing. The hops are still fierce despite the aging, taking on a big tobacco, herbal, and even faintly floral presence, fainter than I imagine they were when they were when fresh but still nice, and providing a mild bitterness to compliment the above astringencies and .... below spiciness. The whiskey is divine, almost decadent when mixed with this much sugar, like a bourbon fudge cake. I do get some astringencies in the finish that fade even farther in to the finish as this one warms, to be sure, but if this is 12.2%, I'm PJ Harvey. And I am not PJ Harvey.

Mouthfeel: Give it a while to die down and you'll be rewarded. Initially, I found this one a little overcarbonated, prickly, erratic, uneven, which really didn't work with the already spicy, prickly, warming alcohol presence buried here. But once it had sat out for about ten minutes, this turned into a smooth, creamy delight, more reminiscent of the bourbon fudge cake mentioned above. Had it at a 4.0 initially, but it's deserving of a 4.5 as it achieved this balance pretty quickly, relative to other examples of the style.

Drinkability: A lot to say about this beer. It's a step up over the BA-Old Ruffian and a step up over many barrel aged beers (the use of the whiskey barrels here works splendidly with the hops and the sweet, sticky malts of the Yeti can definitely contain their spiciness), but definitely still has its flaws. The 12.2% has begun to wear on me after a whole bottle, to its detriment, but perhaps not as badly as I imagine it would have, to its credit. On the whole though, this is one heck of a balanced beer: it's thick, like drinking whiskey cake batter at points, but there's enough carbonation to counteract; it's spicy, with tons of rye whiskey character, but with a ton of sweet malts and hop notes to counteract. This is one I'd like to see more people be able to get their hands on - if you're going to up the production of only one of your Stranahan barrel aged beers, Great Divide, make it this one.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from the bottle an opaque jet black color, with a thin collar of cappuccino colored foam. A whole lot going on in the nose here--bourbon, vanilla, cocoa beans, licorice and alcohol. On the palate I got a lot of bourbon, which is a bit overpowering. Also some vanilla, dark chocolate, dark fruit and roasted malts. Alcohol is very evident and very warming. A nice effort.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Bottle from the second batch

Pours with that usual Yeti awesomeness, black with a great, creamy brown head.

The nose is a nice blend of milk and dark chocolates with vanilla and a touch of whiskey.

The taste packs a lot of chocolate with cookie and vanilla. I can't tell a huge difference between this and the oak-aged version. I usually don't let the price affect my opinion, but in this case, when I could buy several bottles of oak-aged for the price of this one bottle, it's a no brainer. I expected a little more from it. Still a great beer though, as are all of the Yeti's.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a jet black with good carbonation and a big brown head. Nose is big roasted notes, bourfbon, booze, vanilla. Taste is phenom! Lots of wood, whiskey is not overpowering and prominnent all the way, vanilla midway to the end, booze, chocolate, tobacco even. Mouthfeel is big n rich with lots of wood, booze, vanilla, roasted character. I did detect coffee and some smoke as well but as it warmed. Very, very drinkable but for the price I will stay with Ivan the Terrible.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours black with a nice dark tan head with a bit of lacing.

S: Anise and bourbon were the two that initially popped out to me, followed by some rich roasted malt and a bit of coffee.

T: Quite similar, with the bourbon character coming out a little bit more. Some dark cherry fruits in addition to the roasted malt and coffee, although these flavors could have just come from the roasted nature of the malt.

M: Nice and full without being viscous. Not too much alcohol; actually a mellow creaminess.

D: Very drinkable. One of the better barrel-aged beers that I've had in some time.

A: Thick and black in the pour, with a viscous caramel colored head. No noticeable lacing, and retention is somewhat weak.

S: Coffee, licorice, and caramel upfront with notes of molasses in the back.

T: I'm amazed by how complex this brew is. Huge amounts of semi-sweet chocolate are followed by coffee, licorice, and molasses.

M: Full bodied and creamy, with a slight gritty texture.

D: Definitely worth seeking out, seeing as how it is one of the greatest of its style that I've come across.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a wine glass.

Pours a thick, viscous black, completely opaque, topped by a medium-dark creamy tan head.

A lot going on in the nose, with roasted grain, char, earthy dark chocolate, and touch of hoppiness. Turns a bit meaty--think beef bouillon--as it warms. But I don't notice any whiskey character in the nose, at least by itself.

The palate shows roast, burnt grain, a touch of charred barrel, smoke, woody oak, vanilla, chocolate; in short, everything you'd expect in Yeti, and then some. Piney hops on the finish, but the beer on the whole is only mildly bitter. Finishes with alcohol warmth to let you know this is a big beer.

Thick and rich and mouthcoating--it's Yeti, after all. Certainly a sipping beer. I don't know that this beer is different enough compared to Oak Aged Yeti to justify the higher price tag, but it's fantastic regardless.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Lucky to have this twice in a couple of weeks. The second time it was up against a lot of huge stouts. Both were Batch 2.

Dark khaki head, low carbonation. Smells like Yeti, whiskey and oak. Big whiff of chocolate and decadent malt.

First taste is so smooth and delicious. You want to swirl it around your mouth. Lots of chocolate comes through to balance out the wood and whiskey flavor. Drinks extremely well. I can't find one thing wrong with the taste of this beer.

This is probably the best stout I've had and I've never thought much of all the whole Yeti lineup other than the expresso one.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

From 3/6/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasting, big thanks to Aaron (argo0 on RB) for bringing this!

a - Pours a dark brown with some nice tan head and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells nice and sweet. Smell some chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Great mixture.

t - Taste is very similiar to the smell. Chocolate, oak, vanilla, molasses, and bourbon create a great mix and taste. Very smooth as the bourbon is pretty mellow.

m - Very smooth and creamy, little carbonation and full body.

d - I really liked this beer. I thought it was very smooth and the smell and taste of chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon created a wonderful combination. Would love to try this again sometime.

750mL bottle, batch 2.

Pours completely black, like an oil slick with a hefty mocha head that recedes to a small cap and leaves a bit of lacing and some boozy legs along the side.

The aroma is excellent - lots of heavily roasted dark malts, cocoa powder a maybe some licorice to start with. The bourbon is present with some vanilla and well as a hefty oak aroma. The aroma has much less bourbon than batch 1.

The taste does have more bourbon than the aroma, especially in the finish where there is a noticeable burn. The underlying beer is still extremely evident though with the chocolate malts and even some coffee coming through. The finish is dry and fairly oaky.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied and extremely creamy and smooth with a soft carbonation that keeps things from getting too thick on the palate.

I remember last year's being very heavy on the bourbon from start to finish and this is seems much more balanced with the underlying beer refusing to be dominated by the barrel. An excellent barrel-aged beer.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from the 2009 release (the second one) received in a trade with bardwashrind. Thanks Andre! I popped this one at our impromptu tasting last night. Bottle # 805/1104

Yeti is one of the best looking beer ever and this just proves it. Jet black with a dense, dark brown head with excellent retention and lacing, this is gorgeous. The nose is just as good, milky, creamy with a whiskey aroma that's fairly low in the mix. Roasty with dark chocolate and some coffee, the whiskey lends a mellow touch of vanilla. With a touch of alcohol (nowhere near the 12.3% indicated on the label.

The palate opens with a blend of creamy milk chocolate, whiskey heat, a mellow whiskey flavor with some vanilla and a little oak. The coffee characteristics are fairly mellow too, there's a mild sweetness mid palate. Roasty and chocolate-like, this is smooth and delicate. Full in body with a creamy, long-lasting finish with a lingering bitterness and a subtle heat, this is exceptional stuff. Too bad I'm going to have a hard time finding this again...

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company