Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Barrel Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Barrel Aged YetiBarrel Aged Yeti

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.70% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.
3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Vintage 2011.
Bottle # 1703.

poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: Black bodied beer with a dark brown 1 finger head that drops down quickly into a ring around the top of the beer. Average lacing.

Smell: Lots of whiskey. Smoke and dark roasty malts.

Taste: Dominant whiskey barrel notes. Mostly the oaky and woody notes. Smoke and charcoal. The rest of the beer is muted by the whiskey, smoke and charcoal. The beer is fairly roasty too, but it shows up in the finish. Almost has a minor sourness in the finish along side the roasty notes.

Mouthfeel: The unique part of the beer to me is the mouthfeel. Strong whiskey notes that you can taste, but none of the whiskey burn. This Yeti is really smooth, but I still prefer the other Yeti's that get Oaked because the mouthfeels is thicker. This seems just a bit thinner than I expected. Medium bodied beer with a low end of meoderate carbonation.

Overall: I have officially tried all the Yeti offerings. I expected this one to be the best, but I was wrong! I really liked the Expresso Oak and Chocolate Oak better than BA Yeti. Lets see what a year can do to this beer. Aged may help it become a better beer! (1,163 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This review is of the 2009 vintage

Pours a pitch black body with a one finger mocha head. Head retention and lacing were average at best.

Smell is an amazing mixture of sweet whisky, brownie a la mode, vanilla, burnt malts, and chocolate syrup. Similar to aromas found in Southern Tiers Choklat but heavier on alcohol.

Taste is still hot and big on booze, with some fudge, charred malts, and a bit of bitterness. I like strong beers but this one lacks some balance to round it out. Wish it tasted like it smelled.

Mouthfeel is full and aggressively carbonated. Body was somewhat oily/syrupy. Head died rather quickly which was disappointing.

Overall this beer was good but pretty pricey. I figured after letting it age for 4 years it would be smoother but it still has quite a bite. I love all the yetis but I'd have to say this was prolly my least favorite along with Belgian yeti (887 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8%

Beautiful black pour with a dark mocha finger and a half of viscous head. Nice spattering of lacy foam. Balanced barrel, oak, vanilla and rich chocolate in the aroma. There may be some spicy hops, but faint. The barrel is not over whelming, which for me, is a good thing. It leaves it's mark though. There's a slight acidic cherry quality that faintly shows itself. The taste is lightly boozy, with a ton of chocolate, roast, vanilla, light barrel/bourbon and oaky notes. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate covered cherry and a definite acidity that induces a slight puckering affect. The feel was thick, full and coating...as I would expect from the Yeti.

It appears as though this bottle is on the very mild receiving end of some infectious qualities. While I think it undoubtedly made the experience slightly less enjoyable, this was still a really good beer even still. No doubt a non-infectious bottle would be brilliant. Glad to be drinking it either way! (965 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8%

2011 Vintage. Bottle number 2428, not infected.

A - Black. 1 finger of brown head, nice tight bubbles.

S - Oak, whisky.

T - Whisky/booze, chocolate, molasses, hint of hops, a ton of wood in the finish.

M - Medium. Very smooth carbonation, almost seems bottle conditioned.

Not my favorite of the Yeti variations (oak aged) but comes in a close second. (355 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

A 750 ml bottle, split with a friend, and poured into my brand new CBS snifter. This was consumed side-by-side with regular Yeti.

A: Jet black, 1 finger mocha head that quickly dissipates. More of a head than on the regular Yeti.

S: Sweet, sweet bourbon. Tiny hints of chocolate, no malts, none of the hops found in the nose of the regular Yeti.

T: All bourbon. Quite sweet, absolutely no hops, hard to find any bitter malts until the finish. Incredibly one-dimensional. While the bourbon flavor is good--a touch too sweet for my taste--there's a real lack of anything to balance it out. A bit disappointed on the taste, sadly.

M: Incredible. Full bodied, but well-carbonated, so it’s not too heavy. About perfect for a big stout.

O: Too sweet, with little there to balance out the bourbon. I want some of the hop bitterness or at least some of the chocolate present in the regular Yeti. I gave it a 4 overall, as opposed to a 3.5 in part because of the potential with aging-with time the bourbon will mellow a little and it'll be much better. After adding some regular Yeti to my glass (three parts BA to one part regular), the flavor profile expanded and drastically improved. The BA Yeti needs some of the chocolate malt or hop flavor present in the regular Yeti. (1,273 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

I had this on-tap at Max's during Baltimore Beer Week. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours dark black with a layer of tan head that goes away completely.

Smell: Roasty and sweet with dark chocolate and dark fruit notes. There is a faint hint of smoke here.

Taste: Sweet and roasty up front with some smoke and dark chocolate. There is a bitter and roasty finish. Bourbon and mild vanilla notes throughout.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with mild, tingly carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: This beer did not live up to the hype for me. I wanted bolder flavors. The mouthfeel wasn't at all what I want from a highly rated imperial stout. Good, but I hope it is better from the bottle. (718 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Rarest of the five incarnation of the yeti, shared at a tasting recently. Very excited about this one.

Beer served in a tiny tulip. Beer is pitch black, even at the corners. Forms a brown head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. I can't tell the carbonation levels but at the interface of the glass I can't see any activity. Doesn't mean much though.

Aroma is hot. Lots of alcohol in there. What's the % on this? 12? You can smell it for sure. Nice malt sweetness and some roasted stuff as well. I can't really smell the barrel. I suppose that's good.

Beer is medium to full bodied and pretty sweet. Would the sweetness go down aftertime or would it sour at all if left alone? Beer finishes slightly dry and there is a lot of boozy / subtle wood character. Overall the beer was good but I should have had it with the Oak aged side by side. So far that's been my favorite. (893 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Bottle # 458/470 share with DrewOSU, FTownthrowdown and pwoods last night. This bottle was courtesy of a recent trade with pkeigs. Thanks for the trade, Patrick!!!

Today marks a very special day for me... Due to the addictive qualities to facebook.com, I was able to locate my best friend growing up. I haven't had any form of communication with him in 15 YEARS, so Brian - this special beer is dedicated to you...

A: Pours an ultra dark brown/black with sparse, light brown, big bubbles. No lacing and and a few big bubbles remain after the beer settles.

S: After the initial pour, the people I shared this with immediately realized it was too cold, so we all stood around like idiots trying to warm the beer cupped in our hands. Note: DEFINITELY smell and drink this at the recommended temperatures (The closer to 55 degrees, the better!)... After holding in my hands for 5-10 minutes, the nose came out MUCH better... I got moderate mix of whiskey, followed by some woodiness like oak, light molasses, chocolate, heavily roasted malts and vanilla. Let that beer warm up and it turns into a very pleasing nose...

T/M: Medium/Full flavored and bodied. Low carbonation. Much like the nose, I get a burst of wood and whiskey, followed by coffee, heavy chocolates, molasses, vanilla, and dark fruits.

Overall, it was a very nice blend and highly enjoyable. I don't think this one needs additional aging. All the flavors blend well now. If it wasn't for the following three factors, I would have made the drinkability factor much higher:
1) Rareness
2) price point
3) bottle format (I would have preferred 12 ounce bottles)

At any rate, glad I had the opportunity to try this! (1,681 characters)

Bottle # 1527, 2011 Bottle date; Sampled November 2011
A steady pour into my lost abbey Teku glass produces a deeply darkened, almost full brown colored, three-finger thick head. The beer is simply pitch black in color and doesn’t even dream of passing any light through it no matter how close it is held up to the light. As I pour this beer notes of deeply caramelized, toasted coconut are apparent in the nose. A more focused inspection yields strong whiskey like notes; spicy oak, tartly toasted coconut, deep vanillin notes and that sort of whiskey like fruitiness that is distinct but hard for me to describe for some reason. As my nose gets used to the dominating whiskey character more of the Stout aromatics start to come out; aromas of deeply toasted grain, cold coffee liquor notes, smooth roasted malt notes, smooth burnt caramel notes and just a general dark malt richness / sweetness that helps to round things out. At first the whiskey notes can certainly be a bit too much, but thankfully this gets tamed down a bit and becomes much more smooth once you really start to explore the nose.

Thick, smooth and viscous feeling as this first hits the palate; the beer has a dark caramelized sweetness, a chewy, almost savory dark malt richness, an almost salty / briny note and even a solid smokiness in the middle of this beer. The beer finishes with a palate thinning, warming, whiskey fruit and spiciness as well as a touch of woody astringency; this can’t quite thin out the thick, rich texture that the base beer provides this beer. Other barrel notes of vanillin, ample toasted coconut, tart whiskey notes, a smooth spiciness and a touch of woody flavors. The base beer contributes flavors of dark chocolate notes (that remind me a bit of chocolate syrup, though without the sticky sweetness), a smoky sort of richness, a chewy whole grain brown bread character, some briny notes (that mix with the smokiness to form a peat like character), some savory dried plum notes. The smokiness adds a touch of spicy phenolics to the finish at times and speaking of the finish, there is only a touch of the ample hop character that was once here, it provides only a hint of bitterness as compared to the fresh base beer that is so redolent of expressive hops. The dried plum notes have a smokiness as well as a molasses sort of character that has been slightly burnt. As the beer warms up a savory, almost distinctly cedar like note is accompanied by underlying notes of pine; both of which seem to suggest at the once vibrant hop character that was once here.

This is quite a bit more tasty than I was expecting; this beer nicely stays away from the harsh notes that often plague whiskey barrel aged beers, it is quite smooth, and the barrel aged notes for the most part are quite well integrated with the base beer for the most part. The Whiskey notes are definitely the dominant note here, but this has not spent so long in the barrel that these notes are overwhelming or harsh. In the end this is quite a nice marriage of whiskey barrel and Imperial stout; I really like the mix of savory smokiness, dark chocolate and treacle laden, concentrated dark malt character that this beer achieves. This is most definitely the most balanced of the three Barrel Aged Great Divide beers that I have had, but it is also the freshest (so that may have something to do with it). This is one of the better Whiskey / Bourbon barrel aged beers that I have had in quite some time. (3,479 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Review number 666! Been saving this beer for this occasion. Great stuff but not as good as the Parabola I had right before it. Review from notes:

Dark pour, almost black, tan head with nice whisps of lacing down the tulip.

Aroma is boozy, light oxidation, some dark chocolate, roast is subdued.

Taste is a touch thin, boozy again with some more chocolate. Sweet caramel, maybe some coffee and oak? Hard to tell. Roastiness is mellow, needs some more bitterness. Well aged indeed, smooth, low carbonation. I wouldn't let this one go any further if I had any other bottles sitting around.

Overall easy drinking, needs a touch more carbonation to cover up some of the aged qualities. (685 characters)

12/01/2011

2011 batch (aged for 9 months in Stranahan's whiskey barrels) poured into a snifter. Bottle #2704 - 10.7% ABV. The last time I tried this beer was when the first batch was released. It's been a long time.

A: Appears ebony, exhibiting a level of viscosity that would make a rheologist gape in wonder. The head forms two fingers of Sepia froth. Great looking beer.

S: I get caramel with a lot of roast and a light coffee presence. There's some fusel alcohol that stings the nostrils but it's faint. Whiskey is aromatic and pleasant, blending with vanilla and oak - there's a lot of oak. Dark fruit is restrained.

T: Lightly bitter up front with notes of earth, dark chocolate, and cocoa. I get a little caramel with accompanying fudge. The Stranahan's whiskey barrels provide notes of whiskey and vanilla, and malt effects a strong roasted characteristic with subtle burnt notes. Brown sugar appears midpalate and grows stronger in the caramel fudge whiskey finish. Alcohol is well masked until the finish.

M: Full in body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is silky with pleasant alcohol warming.

Overall: This is certainly a good barrel aged Imperial Stout, but it isn't in the upper tier. I'd definitely purchase a glass of it if offered the chance, but I wouldn't buy another bottle. (1,312 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

750ml bottle poured into St Bernardus glass with Mattsander and alpineclimber 12/10/12

A more light would escape from a black hole, just a thumbnail of a cola edge, even the foams dark, real dark, its short lived and leaves some polka dot lacing but the darkness of liquid and foam alike impresses

S dark fruit and oak are strong with some boozy vanilla, more earthy woody notes the barrel has left a mark for sure, I want to love the smell but its just a little boozy

T has a tangy twinge to it if that makes sense, a little sour fruit in the mix with licorice, wood, more wood, then the char kicks in, more sour notes with some dark coffee.

M not as thick as the color would let you believe but far from watery, that tangy twinge is a strange sensation, some heat and the char and coffee linger on the finish

O needs too mellow out but the faint sour notes and tangy sensation makes me think an infection might be setting in but perhaps it’s in my head. Not sure if I’d age this or not, either way it’s pretty decent stuff today

not my favorite from the Yeti’s but still solid, its great stuff if you like woody stouts, I’m not 100% sure if the sour notes are intended but its working pretty well.

Edit- The above was from notes and after reading a few other reviews perhaps there’s an infection setting in. Changes nothing I still liked the beer and if we did have an off bottle it wasn’t off by much as we all enjoyed it. (1,449 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

The Barrel Aged Yeti pours midnight black with a dark mahogony head. Seriously, this stuff looks like motor oil.

Aromas of oak, fine tobacco, chocolate, coffee, and dried dark fruits pervade. This beer has quite a nose.

The woodsy oak flavor really comes through on this beer. This beer is smokey and rich with dark coffee and chocolate coming off strong. The dried dark fruits are still present, lurking in the background.

The mouthfeel is rich and sumptuous. Silky smooth with light carbonation.

Overall, this is a great beer. Definitely worthy of slow thoughtful sips. I couldn't have a bunch of these as it is a very strong beer in every sense of the word. (664 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

750ml bottle generously shared by jdiddy. 2011 vintage. Pours two shades shy of black with no head. Nose expresses dried cocoa. Taste is pure brilliance - cocoa, whiskey, wood and a hint of peanut butter. Mouthfeel is medium in consistency with a slight acidity and lightly oily texture. Carbonation falls just short of lively - if the carbonation dropped off a bit, it would really enhance the overall character. Overall, a very good BA RIS - not top tier, but very solid and quite enjoyable. (493 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.2%

Douglas88 brought this to the weekend RIS tasting.. 1st vintage.. bottle #294/470... Reviewed from notes.

Big head though it didn't stick around...

Nose has tons of whiskey and some heat.. vanilla and plenty of citrus hops.. I think the hops collide a bit too much.

Palate begins with bunches of alcohol (mainly from the barrel) .. a little hot IMO.. vanilla and lite cherry... whiskey is HUGE and not really in a good way.. less than expected RIS characteristics.. descent cocoa and lesser dark malts.. citrus hops are still very available.. the whiskey notes are a too pronounced for my palate... Body was only medium, and the carbonation seemed pretty high.

I had high hopes for this one, but it sorta left me flat.. I need to get a fresh bottle(s) of this to share with the Boise crew.

Awesome Doug.. thanks for supplying this wild card .. You will always be welcome in Boise and in my home, but the rule is, "we quit drinking at 5:00 am"... no questions and no exceptions :-)

4/4.5/4/3.5/4 (1,001 characters)

750mL bottle filled on August 2008- #346/470

Shared with Pghlee in 2 GD snifters. Cocoa brown pour with virtually no head. Some bright bubbles when poured from high up, but that was about it. Red ring around the head when held up to a light.

Aroma was very delightful and complex. Chocolate cake, fumey big whisky, tobacco & vanilla bean. Very dense and aromatic.

Slightly tannic on the nose with big oak, dark cherry & plum. Big roasted malt notes with a touch of sweetness. Quite a vinous middle with some bitter chocolate. The middle was somewhat tame to me, after a big start. Not a huge, dense mouthfeel but still tasty. Finishes bitter & oaky. Big whisky heat and oak in the throat. Very drinkable for a beer of this magnitude. (736 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.2%

Had this at the Rackhouse Pub on 9/28. I really wanted to buy a couple bottles of this to bring back to OH, but the $25 price tag deterred me.

Typical black stout, thick and sticky, with a short cap of frothy balsa head.

Smells of rich chocolate and char. The bourbon is smooth, providing aromas of vanilla and toasty coconut.

Woody and full of fresh barrel characteristics. Char, chocolate, vanilla, and strong solvent bourbon notes dominate.

Thick mouthfeel. Overall very tasty, though imo not quite worth $25 a 750ml either. (531 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4%

A:poured into my taster this brew pour just as menicing as any other yeti. Pitch black with a good amount of head.
S: the noise is average of barrel aged stout. Bourbon is present with maulty goodness.
T: the flavor is like a less intense yeti. The notes of coffee and chocolate are calmed down. The bourbon is not pronounced; almost like this brew was aged in brandy barrels. Notes of really dark fruit.
MF: good mouth feel not thined out, but would haved liked a thicker feel.
Overall, a brew that is worth its rarity to have. Enjoyable, but i expected more complexity out of this one. (587 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Huge thanks to Joe1510 for bringing this to our epic tasting! Definitely one of my most anticipated selections. This is from the first bottling and here we go...

A nice black pour with a surprising amount of head that doesn't stick around too long.

Tons of whiskey in the nose here. I can't believe how hot this beer still is! There are dark fruits and vanilla present here too. It's very sweet.

Getting fruits, whiskey, vanilla and a corn syrup flavor as well. Again, very sweet beer. It's a little thin for my liking, which takes away from the experience but overall, this is still a good stout. (600 characters)

From 750mL bottle to snifter on 11/13/11 at a small tasting with friends
*From notes

-- Many thanks, Ed --

A: Pow! From the first drop, it's easy to tell that this dark wonder is gonna coat the glass and then some. Motor oil, anyone? A standard pour yields a dense, 1.5 finger creamy mocha head.

S: Extremely vinous. Not much wood or smoke is picked up, moreover it's compact dark fruit.

T: The flavor profile is quite similar to the nose. I don't really get a whole bunch of tannin or char. Instead I'm getting a lot of chocolate, the 40% dark kind. The finish is yet again a bit vine fruity.

M: Right on target. Rich, thick, creamy and so forth. Know what a killer stout feels like? Ok then.

O: Not quite the beer I was expecting. Great Divide's Barrel Aged Yeti is certainly a good beer, it's just packing a ton of dark fruit that, with age, might dissipate. Though I found this more then enjoyable, there are certainly better limited release RIS's out worth hunting. (976 characters)

On-tap at Pizza Port Ocean Beach

A: Pours a dense black color with a nice finger or two of dark brown foam.

S: Big time dark chocolate aroma to this with lots of intense roasted malt and coffee aromas. There's a big oak aroma with a hint of vanilla. A touch of bourbon but plenty of charred oak.

T: Burnt and charred malt come through right at the beginning. Very heavy on the roast with lots of dark chocolate and coffee as well. Vanilla and a slightly spicy wood flavor. Sort of light on the actual bourbon, though.

M: Quite full in body with a medium, smooth carbonation.

O: A big, bold, intense beer. I was rather surprised to see this on-tap, but certainly won't complain. (682 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Best shared, as I did, with a friend who is a big fan of Yetis.

Upon pouring, that head, which is solid brown, attests to the substantial character and lack of viscosity which is to vollow. Black as night and as thick as day-old coffee, the high alcohol content is well-masked by a thicky, bready malt; but still shines forth with a sort of hard-liquor undertone. Rye, molasses, and burnt coffee are the detectable notes. I'd love to find this in a six-pack, but it was only available in an expensive 1.5 L bottle. (515 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Joe for sharing this one. Served in a smaller pint glass sort of thing at Bad Apple.

A - A couple fingers of late-rising dark mocha foam that does the reverse-cascading waterfall deal. Dissipates to a thin ring, and coats the sides of the glass with a sticky film - no lace though. Pitch black in the low light conditions, although I didn't see anything else even when I held it directly up to the light.

S - Initially it has a strong dark fruit character, although the Stranahan whiskey comes out as it warms up. The whiskey has a largely vanilla character, although there some sharp tangy oak that vainly tried to offset an otherwise intensely sweet smelling beer.

T - The taste is very similar, but there's an unfortunate burnt plastic/char taste in the background. Otherwise it's dark fruit, molasses, and vanilla galore. Pretty yummy, but starts verging on diabetic by the end of my pour.

M - Very low carbonation, viscous and syrupy. Dry tannic finish, and a bit of heat. It's right on for a barrel-aged RIS.

D - Between the odd char aftertaste, liquid diabetes, and high ABV it's not the most drinkable of stouts, but it's still a solid effort. That being said, I think I prefer the intense hoppiness of regular old Yeti. (1,243 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

Old style label. This was from 08.

Pours very little head. Color is black with caramel hues around the edges.

Aroma: Oak and whiskey. Chocolate and caramel malts show. It is pretty malty overall. Sweet. A bit booze. Pretty awesome.

Taste: Whiskey, oak, and vanilla. Caramel and chocolate. Sweet and malty. Boozy but in a good way. Some molasses and dried fruit flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, warming, and creamy. Full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends warm and dry.

Overall, this was a good -bal aged beer. Nice flavors with an all around good drinkability. I'd have more of this one. (600 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

2011 vintage, #3763. Non-infected! Opened for Easter.

Poured into a brandy snifter.

Very dark brown with a tight-bubbled, mocha-colored head with decent retention. Appeared to pour very thin into the glass.

Smells of dark roast and lots of toasted malt barley. Warming to room temperature reveals honey, dark chocolate and some dank, hop oils. Not sure if I get much of a barrel-aging presence at all. Little to no tannin quality. Boozy presence.

Opens sweetly with some chocolate and malts. Touch of dark coffee and earthy hop bitterness in the middle. Smoothly ends on a booze hum and coffee aftertaste. Again, not much of a bourbon character in the profile. Hoped for more.

Slick and fairly viscous mouthfeel. Coats palate very nicely.

After revisiting my regular Yeti and OA Yeti reviews, I don't see much of a disparity between all three in terms of flavor profiles. I wouldn't go too far to try to find this beer, as I think it's not too different from the other Yeti's, especially for its price tag. Though I am fairly fortunate to have a non-infected bottle. (1,073 characters)

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company