Barrel Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.70% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barrel Aged Yeti Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This review is of the 2009 vintage

Pours a pitch black body with a one finger mocha head. Head retention and lacing were average at best.

Smell is an amazing mixture of sweet whisky, brownie a la mode, vanilla, burnt malts, and chocolate syrup. Similar to aromas found in Southern Tiers Choklat but heavier on alcohol.

Taste is still hot and big on booze, with some fudge, charred malts, and a bit of bitterness. I like strong beers but this one lacks some balance to round it out. Wish it tasted like it smelled.

Mouthfeel is full and aggressively carbonated. Body was somewhat oily/syrupy. Head died rather quickly which was disappointing.

Overall this beer was good but pretty pricey. I figured after letting it age for 4 years it would be smoother but it still has quite a bite. I love all the yetis but I'd have to say this was prolly my least favorite along with Belgian yeti

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Beautiful black pour with a dark mocha finger and a half of viscous head. Nice spattering of lacy foam. Balanced barrel, oak, vanilla and rich chocolate in the aroma. There may be some spicy hops, but faint. The barrel is not over whelming, which for me, is a good thing. It leaves it's mark though. There's a slight acidic cherry quality that faintly shows itself. The taste is lightly boozy, with a ton of chocolate, roast, vanilla, light barrel/bourbon and oaky notes. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate covered cherry and a definite acidity that induces a slight puckering affect. The feel was thick, full and coating...as I would expect from the Yeti.

It appears as though this bottle is on the very mild receiving end of some infectious qualities. While I think it undoubtedly made the experience slightly less enjoyable, this was still a really good beer even still. No doubt a non-infectious bottle would be brilliant. Glad to be drinking it either way!

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

2011 Vintage. Bottle number 2428, not infected.

A - Black. 1 finger of brown head, nice tight bubbles.

S - Oak, whisky.

T - Whisky/booze, chocolate, molasses, hint of hops, a ton of wood in the finish.

M - Medium. Very smooth carbonation, almost seems bottle conditioned.

Not my favorite of the Yeti variations (oak aged) but comes in a close second.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

A 750 ml bottle, split with a friend, and poured into my brand new CBS snifter. This was consumed side-by-side with regular Yeti.

A: Jet black, 1 finger mocha head that quickly dissipates. More of a head than on the regular Yeti.

S: Sweet, sweet bourbon. Tiny hints of chocolate, no malts, none of the hops found in the nose of the regular Yeti.

T: All bourbon. Quite sweet, absolutely no hops, hard to find any bitter malts until the finish. Incredibly one-dimensional. While the bourbon flavor is good--a touch too sweet for my taste--there's a real lack of anything to balance it out. A bit disappointed on the taste, sadly.

M: Incredible. Full bodied, but well-carbonated, so it’s not too heavy. About perfect for a big stout.

O: Too sweet, with little there to balance out the bourbon. I want some of the hop bitterness or at least some of the chocolate present in the regular Yeti. I gave it a 4 overall, as opposed to a 3.5 in part because of the potential with aging-with time the bourbon will mellow a little and it'll be much better. After adding some regular Yeti to my glass (three parts BA to one part regular), the flavor profile expanded and drastically improved. The BA Yeti needs some of the chocolate malt or hop flavor present in the regular Yeti.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

I had this on-tap at Max's during Baltimore Beer Week. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours dark black with a layer of tan head that goes away completely.

Smell: Roasty and sweet with dark chocolate and dark fruit notes. There is a faint hint of smoke here.

Taste: Sweet and roasty up front with some smoke and dark chocolate. There is a bitter and roasty finish. Bourbon and mild vanilla notes throughout.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with mild, tingly carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: This beer did not live up to the hype for me. I wanted bolder flavors. The mouthfeel wasn't at all what I want from a highly rated imperial stout. Good, but I hope it is better from the bottle.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Rarest of the five incarnation of the yeti, shared at a tasting recently. Very excited about this one.

Beer served in a tiny tulip. Beer is pitch black, even at the corners. Forms a brown head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. I can't tell the carbonation levels but at the interface of the glass I can't see any activity. Doesn't mean much though.

Aroma is hot. Lots of alcohol in there. What's the % on this? 12? You can smell it for sure. Nice malt sweetness and some roasted stuff as well. I can't really smell the barrel. I suppose that's good.

Beer is medium to full bodied and pretty sweet. Would the sweetness go down aftertime or would it sour at all if left alone? Beer finishes slightly dry and there is a lot of boozy / subtle wood character. Overall the beer was good but I should have had it with the Oak aged side by side. So far that's been my favorite.

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Bottle # 458/470 share with DrewOSU, FTownthrowdown and pwoods last night. This bottle was courtesy of a recent trade with pkeigs. Thanks for the trade, Patrick!!!

Today marks a very special day for me... Due to the addictive qualities to facebook.com, I was able to locate my best friend growing up. I haven't had any form of communication with him in 15 YEARS, so Brian - this special beer is dedicated to you...

A: Pours an ultra dark brown/black with sparse, light brown, big bubbles. No lacing and and a few big bubbles remain after the beer settles.

S: After the initial pour, the people I shared this with immediately realized it was too cold, so we all stood around like idiots trying to warm the beer cupped in our hands. Note: DEFINITELY smell and drink this at the recommended temperatures (The closer to 55 degrees, the better!)... After holding in my hands for 5-10 minutes, the nose came out MUCH better... I got moderate mix of whiskey, followed by some woodiness like oak, light molasses, chocolate, heavily roasted malts and vanilla. Let that beer warm up and it turns into a very pleasing nose...

T/M: Medium/Full flavored and bodied. Low carbonation. Much like the nose, I get a burst of wood and whiskey, followed by coffee, heavy chocolates, molasses, vanilla, and dark fruits.

Overall, it was a very nice blend and highly enjoyable. I don't think this one needs additional aging. All the flavors blend well now. If it wasn't for the following three factors, I would have made the drinkability factor much higher:
1) Rareness
2) price point
3) bottle format (I would have preferred 12 ounce bottles)

At any rate, glad I had the opportunity to try this!

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company