Claymore Scotch Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Claymore Scotch AleClaymore Scotch Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-22-2009)

Golferallen54, May 02, 2014
1.2/5  rDev -68.8%

My childbride offered to pick me up a six pack of whatever while she was out. So I asked her to stop at Perfect Pour in Columbia, MD and get me a six pack of Scotch Ale other than Belhaven.

The appearance is dark brown with red highlights.

The aroma is Strong Scotch Ale - Fruit, Malt, and Peat. But there's something else in here that I could not place until I read other reviews. It really is the smell of wet socks!

The taste would be better if you never tasted a Scotch Ale before. I've made a better Strong Scotch Ale than this and, like this one, I don't use hops. When you don't use hops, you need more to use more peat malt. It has a musty aftertaste that is consistent with the wet socks aroma.

The mouthfeel is thin for a Strong Scotch Ale.

At $14/six pack, I feel ripped off.

RDAdams, Dec 18, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -67.4%

localnative_, Aug 01, 2014
1.65/5  rDev -57%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I know jack about beer brewing. I think I do know something about Scotch ale, however. This one is... well, it's one of the worst I've had. Bad Scotch ales taste like over-boiled peas and beans. This one tastes like that *plus* wet dog fur. Or maybe it's wet cat fur. Or a wet wool coat that hasn't been cleaned in three seasons and could really, really use a good cleaning RIGHT NOW. In any case, this is one Scotch ale to avoid. I had a headache before I even finished the bottle. If you want a good American SA, head to the aisle that holds Founders Dirty Bastard. Better still, head to the aisle with the Orkney Skull Splitter.

gfreed, Mar 29, 2011

comicblunder89, Aug 07, 2014

JRBUSNA02, Nov 16, 2012

Scout11, Jan 14, 2012

tneenan1, Apr 14, 2014

59rockabilly, Jun 07, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -45.3%

I’ve had a pretty solid success rate with Great Divide brews… until tonight.

Picked this one up in a bottle shop in Bakersfield early July, and cracked it open approximately two weeks later. Complete drainpour. Unfortunately, I did not notice until after the fact that this bottle was dated August 29, 2011. While I have known Scotch ales to have changed for the better with some time it seems this went downhill—or was infected. Either way, not cool.

This poured a thick dark roast caramel color with thin lacing. I thought it looked ok. It had a tart, sour aroma. Strongly off-putting. It’s not what I expected, I thought at first, as it lacked any sort of malty sweetness or an expected toasted caramel which I look forward to in my scotch ales. Flavor was more of the same—bad, off, and just wrong. As it warmed it developed what I can only describe as a “vomitty” flavor. Its hard to tell if its just old beer or a quality control issue. Unfortunately, drainpour.

elNopalero, Jul 21, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

glowsun, Aug 22, 2012
2.42/5  rDev -37%

Consumed at Encinitas Ale House in Encinitas, CA on December 29th, 2010.

Very clear dark brown (think cola). Minimal head disappears after just a few minutes. No sheeting.

The nose is greeted by a melanoidin-rich, peaty smoke aroma.

The expected malt and light smoke flavors are present, but so is an off, sweatsock note that ruins it. Infected? In any event, it did sort of balance out slightly as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side (as opposed to the expected thicker body).

Don't know if it came from the brewery this way, or if the lines at the Ale House were dirty. Either way, I need to have it again somewhere else to really know.

charlzm, Jan 03, 2011

Lawl3ss, Jan 02, 2012

edenstjames, Nov 15, 2013

thegerm87, Mar 15, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

"Meh" to put it into modern terms. This beer is lacking in many respects.

While Great Divide makes some awesome stuff, this beer is a real disappointment. A Wee Heavy is supposed to have some serious mouthfeel from the caramelized wort, but this feels so thin. On top of that, its too sweet, even for a Wee Heavy. It pours a nice color, but has no life when in the glass. Its not supposed to have much carbonation, but some would be nice...

I really dont have much more to say on this one...At $10/6-pack its a weak offering among alot of fantastic beers in this style.

monza, Nov 19, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -31.5%

Appearance - Pours a brownish black with barely any head at all. A little carbonation with poor to average lacing. Looks like coffee quite a bit.

Smell - Dark fruits, barley and malts are present right away. Prunes are slightly present as well. It does not smell hoppy at all.

Taste - Yeasty and filled with dark fruits, specifically plumbs. I also get a tangy cherry zing followed by a maple, brown sugar and coffee aftertaste. It does, however, taste quite medicinal. I agree with a below reviewers comments about it tasting quite buttery.

Mouthfeel - Bitter and quite alcoholic.

Drinkability - A little hard for me to get through, but quite tasty in some respect. The flavors were very complex.

Verdict - I enjoyed the dark fruits and buttery taste, but it isn't uncommon to find that in a lot of beers. While the taste was complex, it didn't respectfully agree with my taste buds.

Jesse13713, Feb 12, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

To me, scotch ale is all about mouthfeel and maltiness.
This has too much black patent malt tilting it towards a smokey tipple. A bit high on the carbination as well. Doubtfull I'll buy again, too many others that deliver the malty silkiness I associate and appreciate in this style.

CaptFrothy, Jul 19, 2009