Claymore Scotch Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Claymore Scotch AleClaymore Scotch Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-22-2009)
2.78/5  rDev -27.6%

Still feel pretty clueless as to what a Wee Heavy is supposed to entail, as everyone I've tried seems radically different from the last (Founder's Dirty Bastard is excellent).
Fruity nose. Malty, but an oddly thin mouthfeel. I taste pears, caramel, tobacco, and a lingering sourness. At first this tasted like a Dubbel without the funky yeast, but the further I get into the beer, each sip finishes with a charcoaled wood taste that ruins everything that comes before it.
I dig Great Divide. Even when I've sipped on styles I don't like, I recognize that they've done an above average job. I love a malt bomb, but this is the only beer of theirs I don't like.

nsabo, Dec 19, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -68.8%

My childbride offered to pick me up a six pack of whatever while she was out. So I asked her to stop at Perfect Pour in Columbia, MD and get me a six pack of Scotch Ale other than Belhaven.

The appearance is dark brown with red highlights.

The aroma is Strong Scotch Ale - Fruit, Malt, and Peat. But there's something else in here that I could not place until I read other reviews. It really is the smell of wet socks!

The taste would be better if you never tasted a Scotch Ale before. I've made a better Strong Scotch Ale than this and, like this one, I don't use hops. When you don't use hops, you need more to use more peat malt. It has a musty aftertaste that is consistent with the wet socks aroma.

The mouthfeel is thin for a Strong Scotch Ale.

At $14/six pack, I feel ripped off.

RDAdams, Dec 18, 2011

This poured out as a much darker color than I expected. the beer is a deep brown color with a tan colored head on top. The lacing is good with a strong retention. The smell of the beer gives off some nice earthy amromas. The taste of the beer has a good caramel base with a light bitterness in the finish with some earthy peat notes in there also. The mouthfeel of the beer was on the thinker side, it was very smooth. Overall this beer was pretty good. I would drink this one again.

Knapp85, Dec 18, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Great Divide Claymore Scotch Ale “Wee Heavy”: I have finished a long cycle of tasting IPA’s, which was great fun. Switching gears, I am now sampling darker fare, porters and stouts. The Great Divide Claymore Scotch Ale is a great find. The body is black, and the tan head fades quickly. No matter, the aroma is wonderful. You cannot miss the roasted malt and wisps of smoke that linger above the glass. The Scotch Ale is very smooth on the palate with an even malt flavor throughout, and the long pleasing aftertaste make for a great sipping experience. Nothing bitter, acidic or unpleasant here. Highly recommended if you are in the mood for an easy going dark ale. Great Divide has a number of off the beaten path offerings that are really good, and the Claymore Scotch Ale is another.

iSip, Dec 15, 2011