1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Colette Farmhouse Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Colette Farmhouse AleColette Farmhouse Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 04-25-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colette Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 990 | Reviews: 371 | Show All Ratings:
ghostmech007

1.95/5  rDev -49.4%

Bottled on Feb. 19, 2010

Poured into a tulip glass produced a little well formed head. Body doesn't look good, hazy bright yellow.

Nose has definite lemon note and a slight funky smell. Almost like it's skunked.

The taste is bad. Not terrible but it really doesn't taste good at all. The finish is terrible and attacks the palette like a Japanese bomber. The balance is not present at all throughout the beer. The only thing that really stands out from this beer is the malts definitely there and provides some balance to beverage at the end. You really can tell that from the mouth it's very creamy but doesn't stick around because the bitter imbalance on your palette.

I'm not getting this brew again. The whole experience was awful. It's lemon and bitterness just doesn't seem to work. It was very poorly executed.

04-21-2010 17:05:28 | More by ghostmech007
claspada

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

The aroma was pretty prevalent with some earthy, lemon and a hint of peppery spice.

The taste and mouthfeel fall really flat for me however. The flavor profile seems to be a muddled jumble of flavors. Starts off sweet with a bunch of pale maltiness. Some slight clove, white pepper and just a bit of coriander. Almost no citrus or grass. Subtle bit of wheat tang with no fruit and for some reason the after flavor really bothers me. I cant quite put my finger on the flavor but it totally missed the style mark for me. Also the mouthfeel is WAY WAY too thick; I think that is my main problem with this brew. I usually love a thicker mouthfeel but not in my Saison. Almost creamy, very unpleasant in my opinion because it is also really carbonated but somehow not at all dry, just wierd.

Overall this is by far my least favorite beer from a brewery I really love, hey can't nail em all I guess...

11-17-2010 02:35:54 | More by claspada
bubseymour

Maryland

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance - yellowish wheatbeer style color with very active carbonation and yeast activity.
3-4 finger head requiring very slow pour. Head is not the best looking those as its fizzy and large bubbles. Looks like a bubble bath on top.

Smell - smells lemony and orangy like a wheat beer or heff.

Taste - One of the worst tasting beers I've tried in quite a while. First off, it is noticably boozy and warm. Next it is very sour, not pleasant at all. Very noticable lemon bitterness. Then you have a lingering bitter aftertaste that lasts way too long for me and makes my mouth dry and even more thirsty than before.

Mouthfeel - Ok in the mouth but kinda fizzy

Overall - I really don't have much to say positive about this beer. I'm going to try to drink the whole thing but its a borderline drainpour to me. I definitely won't buy this again. The other Great Divide beers have been well crafted. This one seems way off mark to me.

08-06-2011 19:07:05 | More by bubseymour
StaveHooks

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

A - Pours hazy pale straw with a half inch whit head that is very active and sinks quickly into nothing.

S - Yeast, sulpher, damp hay, orange and lemon zest, gala apples,

T - Lots of sweet orange, lemon, and apples. Sweet wheat, thin sugary sweet fruit flavors.

M - Fizzy carbonation, thin body. It feels like zots candy on your tongue. Finish kind of stings the back of the throat.

Great aroma not so great flavors. Everything seems bland with added sucrose.

05-09-2011 22:20:02 | More by StaveHooks
Spider889

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%

Had at Bodega.

You can tell that this beer really wasn't doing it for me - my review notes are quick and lackluster. I think the word "average" pops up 4 times in less than 5 lines of text.

The beer has a very standard pale straw color. No head (Bodega, maybe) and no lace.

Some yeastiness lends spice to the nose, but it's pretty dialed down compared to what the best saisons can offer.

The taste isn't bad in any way, but saison is such a popular style these days this beer does nothing at all to stand out in the crowd. The taste was decent, but I will likely never order this again on purpose.

Overall: this beer is quite average in every sense of the word. You can do better GD. Give me a(ny) Yeti.

04-13-2011 05:51:11 | More by Spider889
Fluke828

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

12oz bottle poured into Duvel Tulip.
Bottled on April 5th, 2011.

A-> A very bright yellow/straw in color with just under 2 fingers worth of white head. Some pretty active nucleation racing up the sides of the tulip so I'm expecting lively carbonation in this brew.

S-> Definitely getting that classic farmhouse/saison-ish aroma right away but it is followed by a pseudo vinegar, almost white wine like smell that I just can't shake...

T-> Saison taste up front with lemony zing and Belgian yeast flavors. But then that white wine thing comes back around with a fruity and tart finish. This beer is all over the place....

M-> As expected there is significant carbonation which actually helps this beer in my eyes but also further accentuates the white wine characteristics for me. Dry on the finish and on the bigger side of medium bodied, particularly for the style.

O-> Hmmm...not really sure here. It would seem this would be refreshing on the porch in the summertime, perhaps as a light after dinner cleansing beer, however I'm not sure I could have more than one in a sitting/day/weekend and the ABV doesn't help that much. This beer seems complex and it is, I just think there is a little TOO much going on and it's not for me.

05-11-2011 02:06:24 | More by Fluke828
Phelps

Arizona

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

Enjoyed in a tulip at Flanny's.

Perfectly clear apple juice-color, a light orange. There’s almost no head — just a thin, wispy ring of white.

Pear and red apple mix, in the nose along with a subtle tanginess, crackers, green apple and a little pepper.

More spice appears in the flavor — very peppery. Alcohol, apple, pear. Weird tang on the sides of the tongue. Finishes dry, but the tang lingers.

Medium-light body with moderate, tingly carb. Not much alcohol, just some warmth in the throat.

A weird girl, this Colette. The overbearing fruits and odd tang make me think it’s not really to style. Not my favorite GD brew.

07-18-2012 21:15:21 | More by Phelps
harrymel

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Notes from Review on 7.1.10
Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

A: Cloudy straw. Low/no head, with complimentary ribbons apparent along glass.

S: Medium intensity for a saison. Sweet, toasty malt mend well with touch of spiciness (sense some allspice notes). A hint of farm funk.

T: The beer falls over mouth with evident saison flavors: rice, corn husk, coriander. If I'm not mistaken, I sense a hint of brett funk.

M: Fine, foamy carbonation overwhelms my mouth. As it warms, carbonation seems less sharp, but not less prevalent. Having a hard time with all the flavor nuances of this bottle given the perceived over carbonation.

D: I had a hard time with the carbonation on this one.

12-21-2010 11:42:17 | More by harrymel
russpowell

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Was really let down by this one, review based on notes from last night..

Pours a semi-hazed straw color with a pinky of ivory colored head. Zero head retention & lacing

S: Grassy, orchard fruit & appleskins

T: Appleskins, a bit of lemon, potato peels, & grapefruit upfront, but in a very mediocre mix of flavors. Pineapple, candi sugar & near gag reflex triggering sweetness/dryness as this warms, along with more apple peels. Finishes too dry & sweet with a bit of golden delicious apple

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation, didn't feels a rough as it tasted..

Drinks slow, unpleasing mix of flavors. ABv is well hidden, I'm not really too enamored of any of GD's Belgian styled offerings, this one just struck the wrong way, almost drain poured it...

07-25-2009 04:28:17 | More by russpowell
Brunite

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Cloudy straw yellow. White minimal head.

S: Belgian yeast notes...spicy...lemon.

T: Tart. Very strong citrus & lemon. Spicy....dry.

T: The beer taste is just way too lemony.

M: Lots of carbonation...very tart. Too much for my taste.

O: Did not like this one. Just too much lemon. Did not finish.

04-30-2011 06:01:12 | More by Brunite
chocosushi

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

12 oz -> Saison Dupont glass

A ~ Pours a very pale lemonade with excessive carbonation and large bubbles. Not great lacing.

S ~ Wet banana and malt. Not much of a nose for a Saison. I come to expect more.

T ~ Lots of wheat, Faint faint bubblegum, & some spicy lemons with a metallic edge. Faint peach preserves and rock candy.

M ~ Bubbly and hot, hardly refreshing. Would be a good intro to the style I suppose but it is not very true to more traditional farmhouses. Effervescent as hell.

D ~ If this wasn't 10 $ a sixpack I would excuse it, but rating it against others in the style with the pricepoint, I'd much rather buy something. Don't seek out. Like a wheat beer with a splash of Belgian yeast

07-03-2011 22:32:34 | More by chocosushi
DIM

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

a: This was a slightly cloudy pale golden color. It was served to me with a short, fizzy cap that quickly faded.

s: Light funk with some earthy grains. Faint cloves and a little something sweet that seemed out of place. No trace of the 7.3% abv.

t: Starts off with a light sweetness that is disconcertingly "corny". It is short lived, but very out of place. The finish dries out with ample bitterness and a little earthiness. A little pepper lingers on the tongue.

m: Not quite as actively carbonated as a saison should be with a heavier than average body.

d: It finishes like a pretty good saison, but that sweetness up front was distracting. I'm sure no corn was used, but that is the word I would associate with that flavor.

06-07-2010 15:46:55 | More by DIM
Beaver13

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy yellow with a frothy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is musty yeast and some light banana and cloves.

The flavor is musty yeast with a surprising sweet sugary fruitiness at the finish. The alcohol isn't obvious at all. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation and kind of watery.

Overall, not a bad summer beer, but not too interesting for a saison - a little too sweet and the sweet sugary fruits don't jive well with the yeast funk.

05-16-2009 05:00:51 | More by Beaver13
hwwty4

Missouri

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Tank 7 tulip. This beer pours a slightly hazy, lighter then School Bus Yellow with a massive 4 inch cap that leaves fingers of lacing all the way down the sides of the glass. The aroma was pretty prevalent from the pour. A slightly sulfuric aroma poured crept from the bottle right after opening it, just the way I like it. Damp earth, lemon zest, a hint of ground black pepper all mixed together with baled hay. I rather exciting nose from a American Saison. It has my hopes up. Unfortunately the flavor let them down rather considerably. The flavor profile seems to be a muddled jumble of flavors that are never really defined individually but do not come together as a whole either. Up front is the all to sweet mark of quite a bit of pale malts. It underlies the entirety of the flavor profile. Milled barley, slight clove, white pepper and just a bit of coriander. Almost no citrus or grass. Just a bit of wheat tang, no fruit and for some reason the after flavor really bothers me. I cant quite put my finger on the flavor but it irks me something badly. The mouthfeel is hands down the hardest aspect to nail on a Saison, and this one misses the mark. Medium bodied with almost a creamy aspect, not really dry at all. Sugary. Where are those high temperatures they were talking about. Other then the spices, I really don't think esters play that much of a role in the anything. I know I'm hard on Saisons. They are my favorite style and I really do love GD, but Colette just doesn't do it for me.

06-16-2010 00:56:35 | More by hwwty4
OldSchoolGamer

I think Great Divide is easily one of my favorite breweries. Their Imperial Stouts and IPAs are out of this world. However, I am not a Saison fan, so we will see if they can change my opinion about the style.

A: Pours a hazy, pale yellow or straw color. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Nice bubbly, white head that sticks around.

S: The first smell is very musty. Smells almost like sauerkraut. Some Belgian funk. Maybe some grassiness or something. Doesn't smell very appetizing.

T: Thankfully that sauerkraut smell doesn't come through in the taste. I get Belgian yeast. There is a earthy like flavor, almost like grass or something. Maybe some corn. There is just a hint of citrus, but you really have to look for it. Flavor is pretty bland overall. Nothing stands out.

M: I would say medium-light bodied. Some prickly carbonation. Yeah, thats about it.

D: You can probably tell by now that I don't care for this beer. So for me, the drinkability is gonna be kinda low due to the lack of decent flavor. I guess it is kind of refreshing. Drinks pretty smoothly.

Great Divide churned out a turd in my opinion. Its funny how they can make 'grand slam' beers like Yeti and Titan, but make average beers like this and Samurai. I still love Great Divide, but would have appreciated more effort or originality in this summer brew.

05-15-2009 18:27:21 | More by OldSchoolGamer
shand

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic.

Pour this in a glass and serve it to one of your BMC buddies with a cold. Because this looks just like another lite beer, there's absolutely none of the cloudiness other reviewers note, just a clear piss yellow. As long as they can't smell it, they wouldn't know it wasn't Miller Light until it hit their tastebuds. Aroma is a nice funkiness from the yeast and some typical Belgian fruits, nothing out of the ordinary. The taste is pretty alright. Now, I know I don't usually like Belgian styles like this, I'd normally just pass it up, but I loved the bottle and heard it was more approachable and drinkable. But instead, it took out anything interesting that Saisons usually have and replaced it with overpowering generic yeastiness and frutiness with a bit of spiciness. Not my bgag.

The mouthfeel was fairly nice though, it's crisp and well-carbonated. But overall, I didn't really enjoy this beer. Then again, it's not a style I tend to enjoy, so your mileage may vary.

04-14-2011 04:57:53 | More by shand
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a straw color with minimal white head. Nose is mixed citrus, with a hint of human bile & pineapple. Some barnyard on the nose too. On the palate there's some spice, pineapple, more funk, and a zesty-lemony citrus quality. Finishes lemony and cracker-like, rather dry cracker like.

05-27-2011 03:10:48 | More by yemenmocha
JohnnyMc

My first Saison.

Pours out very golden with a lot of white and fluffy head.

Smells strongly of Belgian yeast, fruit notes and earthy grass.

The taste is very strongly dominated by wet grass/hay and earthy notes with hints of fruits. Pretty dry and finishes very crisp and clean.

I know a lot of these things are typical for the style, but I wasn't a huge fan. That said, it's not a terrible beer, just not a favorite.

06-10-2012 18:56:22 | More by JohnnyMc
Reaper16

Alabama

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

served on-tap @ Great Divide Brewery, Denver, CO into a weissbier glass

Pours a bright yellow color with 1.5 fingers of perfectly white head. The lacing was adequate. There was little to no haze in the saison; it looks to have been filtered pretty cleanly. Curious.

Lots of yeasty aromas abound from the glass despite its filtered quality. Banana and lemon, mostly. Zippy wheat. It smells good, certainly, but it smells mostly like a hefewiezen, not a saison. There isn't any pepper, funk, other fruit, etc. that would be characteristic of a saison/farmhouse ale.

Taste follows the nose. Plenty of lemon and banana and cracker malt. Again, if Colette were a hefe then I would rate the beer higher. As is I can only give it 2.5 at the most. It tastes sorta good but isn't true to style.

The thickness of the mouthfeel was fine. What docks Colette points is the sharpness of its carbonation. It isn't particularly bubbly but it is sharp on the tongue, to the point of mild uncomfortability. If you can get past that then Colette is a super-easy drinking summer beer that does much of the same things right that a nice hefe would.

04-09-2010 21:55:47 | More by Reaper16
chugalug06

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

This brew is much different with a month or two on it than it is fresh.

A - Cloudy yellow with orange and red hues. Nice white foamy head. Pours very aggressive.

S - Nice sour funk. Very aggressive scent. No banana that I smelt before.

T - Funky brew. Changes greatly with only a little time. Very nice and sweet with pleasant Belgian yeasty funk.

M - Very light and wet. A enjoyable brew with slight heat to be found. Doesn't mellow with time... No bitterness.

O - Good but not nearly as good as it is fresh. Find this one fresh and jump on it!

06-05-2011 01:12:08 | More by chugalug06
coastiefish

Oregon

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottled Feb 23 2010
Opened Apr 21 2010

First nip from the bottle, got the typical tart of the style, followed by an very vivid copper taste.

Poured into a pint glass (don't forget the sediment at the bottom of the bottle!)

Soft hazy bright gold, thin layer of head, when carefully poured (thick layer with froth on the second pour when I was a bit rougher with the pour, though it dwindled down quickly to a thin layer)

On the nose, tart fruit, clove, tiny bit astringent, bit of apricot/peach being detected as well.

Everything on the nose I get on the tongue. A bit of lemon is coming through. Yeasty and dry, but not too dry. Watery finish is worth mentioning.

Mouth feel is light & airy. Id like to have more body in this brew, it just isnt there.

This is a drinkable brew, but there are better ones out there. (Apricot Farmhouse from Upright Brewing an excellent example, and #5 from Upright, a classic example extremely well executed) I wouldnt suggest this to exemplify the farmhouse/saison style. Though, the 7.3% on a hot summer day with nothing to do except sample some brews could justify a round.

04-22-2010 06:29:56 | More by coastiefish
chaz01

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

650 ml bottle poured into a belgium fishbowl glass. My bottle does not say "Colette" -- instead it says "Saison" - but other than that it appears to be the exact same label as the one pictured. It has a 2009 date and has been kept cool in my cellar (not intentionally aged, just never got a chance to drink this).

A: Pale yellow straw-colored, pretty hazy and cloudy, with a thick white head.

S: Floral, yeasty, bready aroma with a little lemony zest as well.

T: Fruity, tart flavors of lemon and citrus with some peppery spice notes as well. A bit overly tart and perhaps a little off -- I'm wondering if it's more due to the age on the beer than the beer itself.

M: Medium bodied, very carbonated and effervescent.

D: I'll re-review the beer if I get a chance to have a fresh bottle, but for 2 year old Belgian, this didn't seem to age all that well.

02-27-2011 13:10:52 | More by chaz01
BetterDarker

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours cloudy, bright lemony yellow with a frothy, white head. The head disaapates quickly with clinging foam on the sides of the glass. Great looking beer.

Smell is what you would expect from a saison. Spicy, a bit earthy. Nothing particulary remarkable.

Taste is good, slightly tart, light, citrusy. Very little malt or hop flavor, pretty much what you would expect from a saison.

Mouthfeel is good, solid carbonation, obviously not a heavy feel.

One bottle is enough to satisfy a hankering for a saison. Wouldn't make a session out of this beer, but it's a drinkable beer, 650 mls is enough.

05-29-2009 00:32:15 | More by BetterDarker
AdamBear

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

A-cloudy, pale gold with a thick white head that quickly thins out

S-smells like a spicy belgian pale ale...a lot of wheat scent and belgian spices. i could also be smelling a belgian tartness in here too. its a pretty strong scent

T-comes in much like a belgian strong pale ale, it has the belgian malts and spices. i'm finding that this is a crappy saison. its not a bad take on the belgian pale ale, but i'm having a difficult time finding the farm house in this. after the first hit, it goes in to an off tasting maltiness and a touch of booze. the after-taste is strong of belgian malts.

M-medium carbonation with a watery finish

D-overall...this is no sasion. come in to this expecting some barnyard funk and you'll be disappointed. if you're wanting a decent pale belgian, then this won't upset you. it does go down easily for the ABV.

04-08-2011 19:40:37 | More by AdamBear
Oxymoron

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Seems like GD is just pumping out all the new beers lately. Pours a mostly clear lemony yellow color with lots of fizz. An ample frothy white head with good retention and lacing. Took a while to settle down great lacing throughout. Maybe a touch light for a saison but it there is a big variable there.

The nose is mostly malty. Some Belgian notes but limited overall. The malt has a pilsner aroma with some grainy and husky notes. Some hints of aromatic malt and a light note of biscuit. The yeast is there but would like a bit more character. Some floral and fruity notes. A light peppery but earthy aroma on the back end. Some stale notes as well (which I think other are getting funk).

The taste is a bit off. The first flavor I picked up was plastic. More specifically a rubbery flavor that balanced with the grainy malt notes. Some sweetness at first with a almost sugary quality but finishes dry. A light tang but has more of an infection note that lactic. The yeast comes out more versus the nose. A good yeast taste with a light apricot, herbal and spicy notes. Would have liked to see more of this come out. Some hoppy notes on the back end, but not really distinct.

The body finishes a bit dry. This is enhanced by a high carbonation with a slight carbonic bite. Light but noticeable. Overall, there are some good positives here, specifically with the yeast. But some negative, with the rubbery flavors (and the lack of more yeast). Still drinkable though.

05-13-2009 21:41:41 | More by Oxymoron