Colette Farmhouse Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 04-25-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colette Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros

1.95/5  rDev -49.4%

Bottled on Feb. 19, 2010

Poured into a tulip glass produced a little well formed head. Body doesn't look good, hazy bright yellow.

Nose has definite lemon note and a slight funky smell. Almost like it's skunked.

The taste is bad. Not terrible but it really doesn't taste good at all. The finish is terrible and attacks the palette like a Japanese bomber. The balance is not present at all throughout the beer. The only thing that really stands out from this beer is the malts definitely there and provides some balance to beverage at the end. You really can tell that from the mouth it's very creamy but doesn't stick around because the bitter imbalance on your palette.

I'm not getting this brew again. The whole experience was awful. It's lemon and bitterness just doesn't seem to work. It was very poorly executed.

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

The aroma was pretty prevalent with some earthy, lemon and a hint of peppery spice.

The taste and mouthfeel fall really flat for me however. The flavor profile seems to be a muddled jumble of flavors. Starts off sweet with a bunch of pale maltiness. Some slight clove, white pepper and just a bit of coriander. Almost no citrus or grass. Subtle bit of wheat tang with no fruit and for some reason the after flavor really bothers me. I cant quite put my finger on the flavor but it totally missed the style mark for me. Also the mouthfeel is WAY WAY too thick; I think that is my main problem with this brew. I usually love a thicker mouthfeel but not in my Saison. Almost creamy, very unpleasant in my opinion because it is also really carbonated but somehow not at all dry, just wierd.

Overall this is by far my least favorite beer from a brewery I really love, hey can't nail em all I guess...

2.3/5  rDev -40.3%

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance - yellowish wheatbeer style color with very active carbonation and yeast activity.
3-4 finger head requiring very slow pour. Head is not the best looking those as its fizzy and large bubbles. Looks like a bubble bath on top.

Smell - smells lemony and orangy like a wheat beer or heff.

Taste - One of the worst tasting beers I've tried in quite a while. First off, it is noticably boozy and warm. Next it is very sour, not pleasant at all. Very noticable lemon bitterness. Then you have a lingering bitter aftertaste that lasts way too long for me and makes my mouth dry and even more thirsty than before.

Mouthfeel - Ok in the mouth but kinda fizzy

Overall - I really don't have much to say positive about this beer. I'm going to try to drink the whole thing but its a borderline drainpour to me. I definitely won't buy this again. The other Great Divide beers have been well crafted. This one seems way off mark to me.

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

A - Pours hazy pale straw with a half inch whit head that is very active and sinks quickly into nothing.

S - Yeast, sulpher, damp hay, orange and lemon zest, gala apples,

T - Lots of sweet orange, lemon, and apples. Sweet wheat, thin sugary sweet fruit flavors.

M - Fizzy carbonation, thin body. It feels like zots candy on your tongue. Finish kind of stings the back of the throat.

Great aroma not so great flavors. Everything seems bland with added sucrose.

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%

Had at Bodega.

You can tell that this beer really wasn't doing it for me - my review notes are quick and lackluster. I think the word "average" pops up 4 times in less than 5 lines of text.

The beer has a very standard pale straw color. No head (Bodega, maybe) and no lace.

Some yeastiness lends spice to the nose, but it's pretty dialed down compared to what the best saisons can offer.

The taste isn't bad in any way, but saison is such a popular style these days this beer does nothing at all to stand out in the crowd. The taste was decent, but I will likely never order this again on purpose.

Overall: this beer is quite average in every sense of the word. You can do better GD. Give me a(ny) Yeti.

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

12oz bottle poured into Duvel Tulip.
Bottled on April 5th, 2011.

A-> A very bright yellow/straw in color with just under 2 fingers worth of white head. Some pretty active nucleation racing up the sides of the tulip so I'm expecting lively carbonation in this brew.

S-> Definitely getting that classic farmhouse/saison-ish aroma right away but it is followed by a pseudo vinegar, almost white wine like smell that I just can't shake...

T-> Saison taste up front with lemony zing and Belgian yeast flavors. But then that white wine thing comes back around with a fruity and tart finish. This beer is all over the place....

M-> As expected there is significant carbonation which actually helps this beer in my eyes but also further accentuates the white wine characteristics for me. Dry on the finish and on the bigger side of medium bodied, particularly for the style.

O-> Hmmm...not really sure here. It would seem this would be refreshing on the porch in the summertime, perhaps as a light after dinner cleansing beer, however I'm not sure I could have more than one in a sitting/day/weekend and the ABV doesn't help that much. This beer seems complex and it is, I just think there is a little TOO much going on and it's not for me.

Colette Farmhouse Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company