Colette Farmhouse Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 04-25-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colette Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros

Danno48, Jun 04, 2013

Lob, Apr 16, 2012

DrRei, Sep 17, 2014

ctrevino, Dec 09, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

Enjoyed in a tulip at Flanny's.

Perfectly clear apple juice-color, a light orange. There’s almost no head — just a thin, wispy ring of white.

Pear and red apple mix, in the nose along with a subtle tanginess, crackers, green apple and a little pepper.

More spice appears in the flavor — very peppery. Alcohol, apple, pear. Weird tang on the sides of the tongue. Finishes dry, but the tang lingers.

Medium-light body with moderate, tingly carb. Not much alcohol, just some warmth in the throat.

A weird girl, this Colette. The overbearing fruits and odd tang make me think it’s not really to style. Not my favorite GD brew.

Phelps, Jul 18, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Notes from Review on 7.1.10
Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

A: Cloudy straw. Low/no head, with complimentary ribbons apparent along glass.

S: Medium intensity for a saison. Sweet, toasty malt mend well with touch of spiciness (sense some allspice notes). A hint of farm funk.

T: The beer falls over mouth with evident saison flavors: rice, corn husk, coriander. If I'm not mistaken, I sense a hint of brett funk.

M: Fine, foamy carbonation overwhelms my mouth. As it warms, carbonation seems less sharp, but not less prevalent. Having a hard time with all the flavor nuances of this bottle given the perceived over carbonation.

D: I had a hard time with the carbonation on this one.

harrymel, Dec 21, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Was really let down by this one, review based on notes from last night..

Pours a semi-hazed straw color with a pinky of ivory colored head. Zero head retention & lacing

S: Grassy, orchard fruit & appleskins

T: Appleskins, a bit of lemon, potato peels, & grapefruit upfront, but in a very mediocre mix of flavors. Pineapple, candi sugar & near gag reflex triggering sweetness/dryness as this warms, along with more apple peels. Finishes too dry & sweet with a bit of golden delicious apple

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation, didn't feels a rough as it tasted..

Drinks slow, unpleasing mix of flavors. ABv is well hidden, I'm not really too enamored of any of GD's Belgian styled offerings, this one just struck the wrong way, almost drain poured it...

russpowell, Jul 25, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Cloudy straw yellow. White minimal head.

S: Belgian yeast notes...spicy...lemon.

T: Tart. Very strong citrus & lemon. Spicy....dry.

T: The beer taste is just way too lemony.

M: Lots of carbonation...very tart. Too much for my taste.

O: Did not like this one. Just too much lemon. Did not finish.

Brunite, Apr 30, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

12 oz -> Saison Dupont glass

A ~ Pours a very pale lemonade with excessive carbonation and large bubbles. Not great lacing.

S ~ Wet banana and malt. Not much of a nose for a Saison. I come to expect more.

T ~ Lots of wheat, Faint faint bubblegum, & some spicy lemons with a metallic edge. Faint peach preserves and rock candy.

M ~ Bubbly and hot, hardly refreshing. Would be a good intro to the style I suppose but it is not very true to more traditional farmhouses. Effervescent as hell.

D ~ If this wasn't 10 $ a sixpack I would excuse it, but rating it against others in the style with the pricepoint, I'd much rather buy something. Don't seek out. Like a wheat beer with a splash of Belgian yeast

chocosushi, Jul 03, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

a: This was a slightly cloudy pale golden color. It was served to me with a short, fizzy cap that quickly faded.

s: Light funk with some earthy grains. Faint cloves and a little something sweet that seemed out of place. No trace of the 7.3% abv.

t: Starts off with a light sweetness that is disconcertingly "corny". It is short lived, but very out of place. The finish dries out with ample bitterness and a little earthiness. A little pepper lingers on the tongue.

m: Not quite as actively carbonated as a saison should be with a heavier than average body.

d: It finishes like a pretty good saison, but that sweetness up front was distracting. I'm sure no corn was used, but that is the word I would associate with that flavor.

DIM, Jun 07, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy yellow with a frothy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is musty yeast and some light banana and cloves.

The flavor is musty yeast with a surprising sweet sugary fruitiness at the finish. The alcohol isn't obvious at all. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation and kind of watery.

Overall, not a bad summer beer, but not too interesting for a saison - a little too sweet and the sweet sugary fruits don't jive well with the yeast funk.

Beaver13, May 16, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Tank 7 tulip. This beer pours a slightly hazy, lighter then School Bus Yellow with a massive 4 inch cap that leaves fingers of lacing all the way down the sides of the glass. The aroma was pretty prevalent from the pour. A slightly sulfuric aroma poured crept from the bottle right after opening it, just the way I like it. Damp earth, lemon zest, a hint of ground black pepper all mixed together with baled hay. I rather exciting nose from a American Saison. It has my hopes up. Unfortunately the flavor let them down rather considerably. The flavor profile seems to be a muddled jumble of flavors that are never really defined individually but do not come together as a whole either. Up front is the all to sweet mark of quite a bit of pale malts. It underlies the entirety of the flavor profile. Milled barley, slight clove, white pepper and just a bit of coriander. Almost no citrus or grass. Just a bit of wheat tang, no fruit and for some reason the after flavor really bothers me. I cant quite put my finger on the flavor but it irks me something badly. The mouthfeel is hands down the hardest aspect to nail on a Saison, and this one misses the mark. Medium bodied with almost a creamy aspect, not really dry at all. Sugary. Where are those high temperatures they were talking about. Other then the spices, I really don't think esters play that much of a role in the anything. I know I'm hard on Saisons. They are my favorite style and I really do love GD, but Colette just doesn't do it for me.

hwwty4, Jun 16, 2010

benfairbank, Sep 07, 2012

rumorsofsurf, May 04, 2012

IdrinkGas, Jan 04, 2012

Lelampp, Jun 24, 2014

I think Great Divide is easily one of my favorite breweries. Their Imperial Stouts and IPAs are out of this world. However, I am not a Saison fan, so we will see if they can change my opinion about the style.

A: Pours a hazy, pale yellow or straw color. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Nice bubbly, white head that sticks around.

S: The first smell is very musty. Smells almost like sauerkraut. Some Belgian funk. Maybe some grassiness or something. Doesn't smell very appetizing.

T: Thankfully that sauerkraut smell doesn't come through in the taste. I get Belgian yeast. There is a earthy like flavor, almost like grass or something. Maybe some corn. There is just a hint of citrus, but you really have to look for it. Flavor is pretty bland overall. Nothing stands out.

M: I would say medium-light bodied. Some prickly carbonation. Yeah, thats about it.

D: You can probably tell by now that I don't care for this beer. So for me, the drinkability is gonna be kinda low due to the lack of decent flavor. I guess it is kind of refreshing. Drinks pretty smoothly.

Great Divide churned out a turd in my opinion. Its funny how they can make 'grand slam' beers like Yeti and Titan, but make average beers like this and Samurai. I still love Great Divide, but would have appreciated more effort or originality in this summer brew.

OldSchoolGamer, May 15, 2009