1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Colette Farmhouse Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Colette Farmhouse AleColette Farmhouse Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 04-25-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colette Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Tank 7 tulip. This beer pours a slightly hazy, lighter then School Bus Yellow with a massive 4 inch cap that leaves fingers of lacing all the way down the sides of the glass. The aroma was pretty prevalent from the pour. A slightly sulfuric aroma poured crept from the bottle right after opening it, just the way I like it. Damp earth, lemon zest, a hint of ground black pepper all mixed together with baled hay. I rather exciting nose from a American Saison. It has my hopes up. Unfortunately the flavor let them down rather considerably. The flavor profile seems to be a muddled jumble of flavors that are never really defined individually but do not come together as a whole either. Up front is the all to sweet mark of quite a bit of pale malts. It underlies the entirety of the flavor profile. Milled barley, slight clove, white pepper and just a bit of coriander. Almost no citrus or grass. Just a bit of wheat tang, no fruit and for some reason the after flavor really bothers me. I cant quite put my finger on the flavor but it irks me something badly. The mouthfeel is hands down the hardest aspect to nail on a Saison, and this one misses the mark. Medium bodied with almost a creamy aspect, not really dry at all. Sugary. Where are those high temperatures they were talking about. Other then the spices, I really don't think esters play that much of a role in the anything. I know I'm hard on Saisons. They are my favorite style and I really do love GD, but Colette just doesn't do it for me.

hwwty4, Jun 16, 2010

benfairbank, Sep 07, 2012

rumorsofsurf, May 04, 2012

IdrinkGas, Jan 04, 2012

Lelampp, Jun 24, 2014

I think Great Divide is easily one of my favorite breweries. Their Imperial Stouts and IPAs are out of this world. However, I am not a Saison fan, so we will see if they can change my opinion about the style.

A: Pours a hazy, pale yellow or straw color. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Nice bubbly, white head that sticks around.

S: The first smell is very musty. Smells almost like sauerkraut. Some Belgian funk. Maybe some grassiness or something. Doesn't smell very appetizing.

T: Thankfully that sauerkraut smell doesn't come through in the taste. I get Belgian yeast. There is a earthy like flavor, almost like grass or something. Maybe some corn. There is just a hint of citrus, but you really have to look for it. Flavor is pretty bland overall. Nothing stands out.

M: I would say medium-light bodied. Some prickly carbonation. Yeah, thats about it.

D: You can probably tell by now that I don't care for this beer. So for me, the drinkability is gonna be kinda low due to the lack of decent flavor. I guess it is kind of refreshing. Drinks pretty smoothly.

Great Divide churned out a turd in my opinion. Its funny how they can make 'grand slam' beers like Yeti and Titan, but make average beers like this and Samurai. I still love Great Divide, but would have appreciated more effort or originality in this summer brew.

OldSchoolGamer, May 15, 2009