Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.
to view more.
Ratings: 2,712 | Reviews: 862
Reviews by SeanBond:
4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thick gorgeous pour of a deep flat blackness. The head was a thick congealed cloud of dark brown foam.

The nose is a touch lighter than I expected with a dry chocolate malt, whipped cream, vanilla, roasted coffee and smoke.

Mmmmm, dessert! You get chocolate and the taste of an after dinner coffee at the same time. There is a bit of spiciness, like a Jalapeno heat, with some Graham cracker maltiness, roasted ember, caramel and maybe toffee.

This is rich and thick with a tinge of alcohol and spiciness.

Saved a good one for my 1000th review, but I knew that Great Divide would deliver!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Serving: Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Perfectly black with a nice red hue dancing around the edges. The thin head fizzles
quickly and offers no lacing.

S: Chocolate notes hit up front, followed up by coffee, malt and spices. I detected hints
of raisins or some other dark fruit as well.

T: A wonderful mixture of vanilla and chocolate hit the tongue first. Then the secondary
but yet equally important second wave comes knocking and says "hello, there's cayenne
and holiday spices in here too". The aftertaste is the all important Imperial aspect of the
beer, finishing the experience with a satisfying "wow!"

M: A little dry on the tongue but with the appropriate amount of carbonation.
Nice and chewy, however.

O: Just like the other beers in the Yeti line, this one is another winner. The combination
of the ingredients perfectly balance out into a highly drinkable stout, perfect for cold
nights spent next to the fireplace, drinking more bottles of this brew.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Cellared for over a year.

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber into a Samuel Adams nonick.

a; Opaque black with an inch tall tan head which receded to thick even surface foam and dense patterned lacing.

s; Chocolate!

t: Espresso and dark chocolate followed by a sharp bitterness. Some throat burn from the high ABV. The coffee flavor may mask or blend with any taste coming from the oak aging, although some of that seems to show up later as a smoky woodiness in taste and aftertaste, as does the cayenne pepper in the form of a lingering throat burn.

m: Full and smooth. A beauty, just what a stout should be.

o: A tasty and powerful flavored Imperial stout.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

Wow there is more to this version of the Yeti than I thought,cayenne...hmmm.Poured a jet black with a fluffy mocha colored head that left a creamy mass after leaving multiple sheets of lace as it settled very slowly.Aromas of vaniila/oak and bitter chocolate and some roastiness.Flavors start out with hefty roast and bitter chocolate with cayenne hitting in the finish wich is very noticeable by me,not sure how others have felt about the cayenne presence.Not sure if that cayenne presence is welcomed by me,its a bit annoying.I like the complexity and the uniquness but not my thing so much,although its not bad just for the record.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at the Oak cafe - 2010 vintage. Pours a black super-nova color with a luscious and creamy looking deep-tan head comprises of bubbles so fine you can barely make them out. Good staying power and retention, though the lacing was minimal overall.

The aroma creeps out before you even bring this one to your nose. A deep, chocolate aroma hits your nostrils first - a sinister hybrid of sweet milky chocolate and bitter dark chocolate. An oaky, wood chips sweetness follows it up and keeps things leveled out. This one simply smells rich and robust, like a triple chocolate lava cake meltdown served on a burnt oak platter.

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti hits the palate smooth and silky, thick, but not to the point of being chewy or sludgy, although it surly can hold its own. The canvas is constructed of heavy oak flavors and even some bourbon notes. I don't know if the barrels this was aged in previously held bourbon or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that out. Succeeding sips reveal an even more deep and dense chocolate flavor than the aroma would lead on - like a bittersweet, rich Devil's food cake or a melted Godiva chocolate bar.

As sweet as it sounds, it's never cloying, as the sugary explosion is held in check by the bitter side of the chocolate, as well as the robust and borderline-bitter nutty and dark chocolate aftertaste. Notes of char reside at certain places but don't take up too much of the bill. As the beer got warmer, a certain spice flickered up, almost herbal and ashy. Apparently it's chili powder? I wouldn't have guessed that - it almost could pass as an intensely dry hop profile. Not distracting, just slightly unexpected. Great carbonation, then again, it was from a tap.

Wow, I'm glad I finally got to try this one. On tap, nonetheless. And the 2010 version. Good night for me, I suppose. I think I prefer the Espresso counterpart to the Yeti series over this one, although it's been a while since I've had it. This one was no slouch, however. I have a feeling the entire Yeti series is worthwhile. Now I must seek out the rest.

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is black. That is if black were mostly black with a brown twinge . . . Completely opaque with a beautiful brown head. The nose is of very bitter dark chocolate, coupled with a wonderful aroma of medium roasted, coarsely ground coffee beans . . . Wow!

The beer smells so good that I have to dive in immediately! Pummels the palate with liquefied chocolate . . . Fudge, molasses, vanilla, and mocha. Oak tannin present. This beer is ridiculous. By the time you are getting a grip on the malt, which pleasantly assaults your palate, the hops are beginning to replace the sweetness of the malt with intense green bitterness that intensifies as the beer finishes. The beer finishes for minutes . . .

All the while, keeping all of the previously mentioned flavors present, and somehow getting more bitter. The ABV% is constantly in the background throughout, be ready and enjoy.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottled on 5/28/10 and reviewed yesterday, the day of all ones. Thanks to TCGoalie for the gift. I enjoyed this brew with zoso1967.

Into a snifter Yeti appears very dark with just an inkling of dark brown around the edges. The head is chocolate milk colored with great retaining power when swirled; it debuted at one and a half fingers from a split bomber. The lacing left on the glass is elegant, with pretty fine streaks and blobs.

This smell is crazy and has a lot going on. Milk chocolate is the most prevalent aroma, with the cayenne adding just enough of a spicy kick in my nostrils. When I excite the beer molecules a roasted malt scent is more noticeable. The oak chip aging adds a creamy and smooth vanilla aroma.

As soon as I opened my mouth for the sip I felt heat from the cayenne. Then when the beer hit my tongue, the chocolate melted in my mouth and was accompanied by a roasted malt presence that really tingled on the mid-section of my tongue. At the finish the cayenne really warms the back of my throat and combines with a dry coffee-like and hop bitterness to clean my palate. As the beer warms more and more to room temperature the cayenne is more pronounced in the flavor.

The mouthfeel was creamy, decadent, and medium-bodied at the beginning of the tasting when the beer was a little cooler. When the beer warms, the body retains some creaminess, but a biting presence from the hops and cayenne becomes a lot more pronounced.

This is nicely drinkable beer considering the addition of cayenne and the alcohol content. In fact, the component ingredients do a nice job covering said alcohol amount. The journey from about 50 degrees to room temperature is a fun one, as the character of the beer changes a lot in that range. This is a brew that I will look for again and is a complex and enjoyable sipper.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Pours pitch black with a generous cappucino colored head.

S- Milk chocolate, roasted coffee, vanilla. Not as peppery as I remembered from the first time I tried it.

T&M- Full velvety mouthfeel with chocolate dominating the palate. Subtle fruit and cream as red peppers fade in toward the finish.

D- Not something i'll drink often but quite tasty and i'll surely committ a couple to the cellar with the rest of my Yeti's.

2.36/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The hops overpower what should be a good malty flavor. Seeing the name and description and then tasting mostly hops was quite a downer.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Black hole pour with a quarter inch of tan foam on top. Good spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of rich dark malts and cocoa. Coffee, cream and oak. Mild hoppy bitterness. Vanilla and toffee work in with the underlying chocolate.

First sip brings big smooth dark malts upfront. Chocolate is vibrant with a bit of coffee as well. Vanilla cream moves into oak accents. A bit of cayenne heat on the finish is quite a nice treat for me. The spiciness and mellow heat really gives this beer some extra oomph. Well balanced overall.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy. Would be a good desert beer for sure! Another tasty Great Divide brew. I'm looking forward to the Espresso Yeti in my cellar.

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark as night. Chocolate syrup midnight swirl...if it were an ice cream. Might as well be...mmm.

S: Cocoa, chocolate, heavy stout smell.

T: Cocoa nibs. Nuff said.

M: Thick, heavy, full-bodied. What a stout should be. Cinder and milk chocolate...yeah.

O: Very delicious beer. I can't say I can differentiate too much between this and the espresso yeti, but who the hell cares. Both are phenomenal beers.

4.46/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours opaque and black with a dark tan head.
The aroma is all chocolate and roasty grains with a hint of coffee.
So tasty. Lots of chocolate and dark fruit with a hint of roast coffee. Just the tiniest hint of spicy warmth near the end of the swallow. A suitable boozy warmth. Touches of oak and vanilla as it warms.
A creamy and smooth mouthful.
Overall, an outstanding stout that I wish I could get regularly.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

22 oz bottle, bottled on 7/16/09. Pours a dark black-brown with a creamy dark brown head that diminishes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet lactic chocolate, with some cayenne and black licorice and roast.

The flavor is sweet lactic chocolate with a lot of roast, some licorice and a tarry cayenne pepper bitter finish. The cayenne pepper adds a note of red hots that is interesting and gives a little burn in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, an excellent beer. I like what the chocolate and cayenne adds to an already fine stout. I like this a lot better than the oak aged yeti. A little better in the nose and mouthfeel and this could be a perfect beer.

Freshness Date: None

A: Pitch black with an espresso brown head that fades to faint layer.

M: Milk chocolate smoothness, brown sugar, and raisins. There is a base of earthiness and soil. There is a hint of wood which adds to the wonderful chocolate notes.

T: The chocolate opens up the palate along with a brown sugar sweetness. There is also some raisins and faint dark fruit which adds to the sweetness. Then comes earthy, espresso bitterness and wood which adds complexity. The finish is hot with rum like alcohol.

M: Smooth and syrupy thick with faint carbonation. Solid feel.

O: A solid chocolate stout with nice wood and chocolate notes. Capable but lacking the complexity needed to enter the upper echelon of barrel aged stouts.

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours an ultimate black, with no light whatsoever getting through it. Head appears a chalky tan/light brown and quickly receded to nothing.

Smell like the aging took plsce in bourbon or whiskey barrel. Oak and warm boozy odor, not picking much chocolate in the nose.

Before any taste at all, I can feel the tingle of carbonation. Surprising due to the quick fading head, and the darkness of the brew hiding any bubbles. A little bitter, possibly dark chocolate, quickly overcome by the boozy warmth, and what appears to be something like peppercorn in the finish.

Feels a bit thin for an Imperial Stout, but still decent. The spicy seasoning at the back end is very warm, but I could see some people having a tough time with it.

Drinkability all depends on the drinker, but the spicy kick could be a bit much for some.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: 1/3 inch light chocolate head, dark brown in color

Smell: a huge oak smell and chocolate

Taste: sweet milk chocolate and cream--especially in the beginning, big dose of oak and cayenne in the end

Mouthfeel: heavy, smooth, sweet throughout, the cayenne also leaves a tingly sensation up and down my throat

Drinkability: Another amazing yeti. This may be my favorite of them. I love imperial stouts and pepper beers and this combines them with a great oak taste that is common in the oak aged yetis. This was an awesome beer worthy of saving for a big occasion. One per sitting cause of ABV but I want another.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

The beer pours black, with no highlights when it is held up to the light. The head is not very large, but what head is there is brown in color. The smell is roasted malt, with chocolate in the aroma as well. The taste is of milk chocolate with some hints of vanilla which I am assuming come from the oak. As dark as this beer is, it is not near as thick as other stouts like Ten Fidy, which adds to its drinkability. There is no alcohol detectable in the flavor, but you do get an alcohol warming sensation even though you cannot taste the alcohol. This stout goes down so easy that I could see the alcohol sneaking up on you in a bad way if you weren't careful. I need to buy some more of this because it is one of the best stouts I have ever tried.

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Pours a jet black with a nice light brown head with good lacing.

S-Smells chocolaty and smokey with some vanilla from the barrels.

T- Such a complex set of tastes. I definitely get the chocolate as well as the smoke and oak flavors from the barrel aged stout. There is a lingering heat and if I hadn't read the label I would have never guessed the Cayenne. What an excellent ballance of flavors.

M- Nice and creamy. A little bit of carbonation, but not enough to take away from what this beer is meant to be.

O- Very well done. An excellent balance of everything the drinker was supposed to taste. Though I must say I was glad to be sharing the 22oz bottle with someone. I don' think I would have been able to drink it all on my own.

3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

Got this as a fathers day present from my mom. Thanks mom! Pours dark black, 2 inch head. Nose is malt and loads of chocolate, then even more chocolate. The taste, nice sweet choc...holy shit! Wayyy too much cayenne pepper. Lost me totally. I was feelin this beer until that. Nice try on the experimentation, but IMO, swing and a miss. 2 ounces of this would be plenty for me. Mouthfeel would be nice, but the longer it is in my mouth, the more pepper I get. I'm stoked I got to try this, and happy for the gesture from my mom (who when I got into beers, swore she'd never buy me one), but I'm really glad I didn't pay for this one. If you like peppery beers, really peppery beers, then this will be right up your ally. This just isn't for me.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter. Bottled on April 6, 2011.

Appearance: Pitch black with huge brown head and pretty nice lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate, molasses and vanilla. Also, quite floral and spicy.

Taste: Fantastic malts upfront with bitter chocolate, molasses, vanilla and char all intertwined. Finish is more bitter and spicy, with hops, cayenne and a roasted bite. The cayenne becomes a little distracting.

Feel: Luxurious full body with low carbonation. Finish is quite dry and somewhat warming. There is also a burning sensation from the cayenne that, in my opinion, is a serious problem. I might like that feeling from spicy food, but not from what should be an extremely smooth Stout.

Overall: I like that Great Divide really tweaked the Yeti recipe for this one, by adding oak chips, cocoa nibs and cayenne, while lowering the hops. However, while I admire the ambition, the cayenne ultimately prevents this from being a world class Imperial Stout for me.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bomber poured in a snifter.

Pours black, smell is of backing flour and yeti yeast, very appealing.

Taste is awesome, mouthfeel is amazinf. It's very velvety and heavy with some awesome chocolate and oak notes. Nice and smooth and for such a high abv it isn't very strong. An awesome sipper.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti opens to an aroma that is part Imperial Stout, with ash, tobacco, coffee, heavy whipping cream, caramel, and bits of molasses, but because of the chocolate oak aging and the added spices, also carries both milk and dark chocolate aromas, as well as oak and vanilla, and a faint rim of smoky, peppery spices, such as cayenne and paprika. Add to this thick slices of brown bread, toast crust, and biscuit, as well as a thin mélange of dark fruit esters, including fig, date, and plum, and the result is a beer of incredible range and variety that ultimately bears perhaps more resemblance to a spiced and spiked cup of gourmet mocha than to a beer. The overall effect is intoxicating, the beer nicely bridging the gap between stout and dessert, its only weakness being a somewhat weak presence.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a shot of ash, tobacco, oily French Roast fresh-ground coffee, and black malt. These black notes are slowly joined by caramel and whipped cream, molasses and vanilla, baker’s cocoa powder, and touches of oak and charcoal, the latter combining with the 9.5% ABV to add a faint bourbon edge. Plum, fig, and date fruit esters add a bit of relief, but come in a distant second to the ash. The beer is definitely black and ashy, almost every flavor pushing the beverage further in this direction, and the aftertaste actually pushes the beer over the edge, being almost exclusively ash, black malt, and tobacco, strongly reminiscent of potent cigars and straight espresso. Mouthfeel is medium to medium-heavy, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is quite an amazing feat for an Imperial Stout, the dark, ashy, black malt notes in here stronger than seems possible, and fans of this style of stout should definitely put this on their must-try list. The sheer potency of these notes does, however, push the beer out of balance, and the result would likely be severely off-putting to many drinkers. Still, it’s hard to fault Great Divide for what is obviously an impressive amount of labor and savoir faire.

4.19/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Midnight black in color and impenetrable to light. A half inch mahogany head is sitting on top. Brussels lacing. Aroma of bitter roasted barley is intense but there's also a light sweetness from the chocolate and a light plum note. There is an intense bitterness from roasted barley. The back of the palate is evened out with a hint of sweetness from the chocolate and in the finish the bitterness appears again. The mouth is creamy and moderately carbonated.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Bright ebony under a 1” dark tan foam cap that produces thin sheets of lace. A suggestion of legs.
S: dark chocolate, coffee, roast malts, dark dried fruit.
T: Big rich chocolate flavors contributed by both the malts and the added chocolate with a light vanilla accent that suggest a liquid chocolate brownie. Dries slightly on the finish.
F: Chewy, very creamy. Some warming builds after a while.
O: a big flavored beer suitable for dessert or breakfast.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing Sam!

A very dark brown pour that is just almost black. A relatively thin brown and dark cinnamon red head that doesn't last for long. Leaves some bubbles and sheets of lace down the glass.

Roasted malt and rich chocolate aroma.

Not quite as hoppy or bitter as the standard Yeti. This version is a touch sweeter and a touch more chocolatey, though I don't find much oak character.

Touch thicker and more luscious mouthfeel than the standard version.

A delicious chocolate stout. For my money, this is better than the standard Yeti...and even more chocolatey!

to view more.