Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Chocolate Oak Aged YetiChocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009)
Reviews by dismal:
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottled on May 28 2010. Pours very thick jet black with a nice big dark tan head. The head has decent retention, and leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass. The smell at first is over powering of chocolate but smells awesome. Once you get around the chocolate there is roasted malt, some coffee and just a little bit of vanilla behind all of that. Pretty typical of a big imperial stout except with loads more chocolate in the smell. Despite all the chocolate in the smell the taste kind of threw me off. Still quite chocolately obviously, and the chocolate is right up front. There seems to be a bit more coffee in the the taste that comes out after the chocolate. The vanilla is a bit more apparent as well rather than hiding in the back like I had in the smell. A little burn from the alcohol but nothing that throws the flavor off. The mouthfeel is semi thick and a little chewy. As for drinkability, it's pretty easy to drink even with a ABV of 9.5 (which isn't to bad for me) and with a little burn of alcohol. Probably wouldn't do two of these in a night but I wouldn't put it past me. Overall really good, another good Yeti from Great Divide. I've got another I've been sitting on for a year already so I wanted to try one that was kind of fresh to compare it to. I think this one will do good with a bit of age on it.

dismal, Oct 06, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Wow there is more to this version of the Yeti than I thought,cayenne...hmmm.Poured a jet black with a fluffy mocha colored head that left a creamy mass after leaving multiple sheets of lace as it settled very slowly.Aromas of vaniila/oak and bitter chocolate and some roastiness.Flavors start out with hefty roast and bitter chocolate with cayenne hitting in the finish wich is very noticeable by me,not sure how others have felt about the cayenne presence.Not sure if that cayenne presence is welcomed by me,its a bit annoying.I like the complexity and the uniquness but not my thing so much,although its not bad just for the record.

oberon, Aug 07, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at the Oak cafe - 2010 vintage. Pours a black super-nova color with a luscious and creamy looking deep-tan head comprises of bubbles so fine you can barely make them out. Good staying power and retention, though the lacing was minimal overall.

The aroma creeps out before you even bring this one to your nose. A deep, chocolate aroma hits your nostrils first - a sinister hybrid of sweet milky chocolate and bitter dark chocolate. An oaky, wood chips sweetness follows it up and keeps things leveled out. This one simply smells rich and robust, like a triple chocolate lava cake meltdown served on a burnt oak platter.

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti hits the palate smooth and silky, thick, but not to the point of being chewy or sludgy, although it surly can hold its own. The canvas is constructed of heavy oak flavors and even some bourbon notes. I don't know if the barrels this was aged in previously held bourbon or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that out. Succeeding sips reveal an even more deep and dense chocolate flavor than the aroma would lead on - like a bittersweet, rich Devil's food cake or a melted Godiva chocolate bar.

As sweet as it sounds, it's never cloying, as the sugary explosion is held in check by the bitter side of the chocolate, as well as the robust and borderline-bitter nutty and dark chocolate aftertaste. Notes of char reside at certain places but don't take up too much of the bill. As the beer got warmer, a certain spice flickered up, almost herbal and ashy. Apparently it's chili powder? I wouldn't have guessed that - it almost could pass as an intensely dry hop profile. Not distracting, just slightly unexpected. Great carbonation, then again, it was from a tap.

Wow, I'm glad I finally got to try this one. On tap, nonetheless. And the 2010 version. Good night for me, I suppose. I think I prefer the Espresso counterpart to the Yeti series over this one, although it's been a while since I've had it. This one was no slouch, however. I have a feeling the entire Yeti series is worthwhile. Now I must seek out the rest.

tectactoe, Jan 24, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is black. That is if black were mostly black with a brown twinge . . . Completely opaque with a beautiful brown head. The nose is of very bitter dark chocolate, coupled with a wonderful aroma of medium roasted, coarsely ground coffee beans . . . Wow!

The beer smells so good that I have to dive in immediately! Pummels the palate with liquefied chocolate . . . Fudge, molasses, vanilla, and mocha. Oak tannin present. This beer is ridiculous. By the time you are getting a grip on the malt, which pleasantly assaults your palate, the hops are beginning to replace the sweetness of the malt with intense green bitterness that intensifies as the beer finishes. The beer finishes for minutes . . .

All the while, keeping all of the previously mentioned flavors present, and somehow getting more bitter. The ABV% is constantly in the background throughout, be ready and enjoy.

ExtraStout, Jun 01, 2011

DavyJones, Apr 23, 2012

t2grogan, Oct 06, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled on 5/28/10 and reviewed yesterday, the day of all ones. Thanks to TCGoalie for the gift. I enjoyed this brew with zoso1967.

Into a snifter Yeti appears very dark with just an inkling of dark brown around the edges. The head is chocolate milk colored with great retaining power when swirled; it debuted at one and a half fingers from a split bomber. The lacing left on the glass is elegant, with pretty fine streaks and blobs.

This smell is crazy and has a lot going on. Milk chocolate is the most prevalent aroma, with the cayenne adding just enough of a spicy kick in my nostrils. When I excite the beer molecules a roasted malt scent is more noticeable. The oak chip aging adds a creamy and smooth vanilla aroma.

As soon as I opened my mouth for the sip I felt heat from the cayenne. Then when the beer hit my tongue, the chocolate melted in my mouth and was accompanied by a roasted malt presence that really tingled on the mid-section of my tongue. At the finish the cayenne really warms the back of my throat and combines with a dry coffee-like and hop bitterness to clean my palate. As the beer warms more and more to room temperature the cayenne is more pronounced in the flavor.

The mouthfeel was creamy, decadent, and medium-bodied at the beginning of the tasting when the beer was a little cooler. When the beer warms, the body retains some creaminess, but a biting presence from the hops and cayenne becomes a lot more pronounced.

This is nicely drinkable beer considering the addition of cayenne and the alcohol content. In fact, the component ingredients do a nice job covering said alcohol amount. The journey from about 50 degrees to room temperature is a fun one, as the character of the beer changes a lot in that range. This is a brew that I will look for again and is a complex and enjoyable sipper.

TCHopCraver, Jan 12, 2011

OhioBobcat, Aug 05, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Pours pitch black with a generous cappucino colored head.

S- Milk chocolate, roasted coffee, vanilla. Not as peppery as I remembered from the first time I tried it.

T&M- Full velvety mouthfeel with chocolate dominating the palate. Subtle fruit and cream as red peppers fade in toward the finish.

D- Not something i'll drink often but quite tasty and i'll surely committ a couple to the cellar with the rest of my Yeti's.

brownbeer, Nov 12, 2009

SanFranJake, Mar 20, 2013

ricksrealm, Feb 15, 2012

SkiBum22, Jul 10, 2014
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Black hole pour with a quarter inch of tan foam on top. Good spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of rich dark malts and cocoa. Coffee, cream and oak. Mild hoppy bitterness. Vanilla and toffee work in with the underlying chocolate.

First sip brings big smooth dark malts upfront. Chocolate is vibrant with a bit of coffee as well. Vanilla cream moves into oak accents. A bit of cayenne heat on the finish is quite a nice treat for me. The spiciness and mellow heat really gives this beer some extra oomph. Well balanced overall.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy. Would be a good desert beer for sure! Another tasty Great Divide brew. I'm looking forward to the Espresso Yeti in my cellar.

orbitalr0x, Oct 16, 2009

sabitu, May 24, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

supa0525, Oct 15, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

bulldogg915, Apr 20, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark as night. Chocolate syrup midnight swirl...if it were an ice cream. Might as well be...mmm.

S: Cocoa, chocolate, heavy stout smell.

T: Cocoa nibs. Nuff said.

M: Thick, heavy, full-bodied. What a stout should be. Cinder and milk chocolate...yeah.

O: Very delicious beer. I can't say I can differentiate too much between this and the espresso yeti, but who the hell cares. Both are phenomenal beers.

tjumfrid, Oct 01, 2013

warnerry, Nov 07, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

DWolf, Dec 02, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

22 oz bottle, bottled on 7/16/09. Pours a dark black-brown with a creamy dark brown head that diminishes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet lactic chocolate, with some cayenne and black licorice and roast.

The flavor is sweet lactic chocolate with a lot of roast, some licorice and a tarry cayenne pepper bitter finish. The cayenne pepper adds a note of red hots that is interesting and gives a little burn in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, an excellent beer. I like what the chocolate and cayenne adds to an already fine stout. I like this a lot better than the oak aged yeti. A little better in the nose and mouthfeel and this could be a perfect beer.

Beaver13, Oct 07, 2009