Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Chocolate Oak Aged YetiChocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009)
1.75/5  rDev -58.5%

1.98/5  rDev -53.1%

22oz bottle into tulip glass at 45 degrees. Bottled May 3rd.

2F of sticky tan/brown head over jet black body with no edges. Great lacing.

Coarse aroma - burnt chocolate, dark fruits, strange plastic-like chemical quality, and dirty earth.

Cocoa up front, hoppy bite in the middle, but with a vodka-like alcohol burn on the throat in the finish... guessing that's the cayenne? Ashtray aftertaste - gross. It tastes like I'm breathing out a bad cigarette. WTF. Maybe this batch had too much cayenne dumped in??

Can't believe I'm drain pouring this after the amount of money I spent. This was the ONE beer I was going to have tonight. Pissed.

Bottled date of 03.19.14.
Poured into a tulip on 05.30.14.

A: Midnight black with no red. 3 finger brown head that retains well and looks like pudding.

S: Vanilla, cocoa, espresso, oak.

T: Oak woodiness dominates. Cayenne pepper and chocolate are subtle.

M: Creamy.

O: The oak was way overdone in this one. The cayenne pepper was strange and did not go well at all with the rest. At 9.50% ABV, this did not need any more heat. The chocolate base was good, but was barely there. This was completely unbalanced, so it went down the drain. I couldn't get the awful taste out of my mouth.

2.03/5  rDev -51.9%

Dark black body, dark milk chocolate head. Extremely dark and perhaps the darkest of the Yeti beers.

Cocoa, roasted malt, and something adding a bit of warmth which I would guess to be alcohol and perhaps hops, but it could be the cayenne mentioned on the bottle. It doesn’t have any real aroma but just a heat.

Just to open, this isn’t Yeti as I know it. They didn’t just reduce hops, they simply made this a non hoppy beer! Next, the cayenne isn’t just a touch of heat, it’s in your face! This bottle is extremely fresh but I’d be worried to age unless I knew the pepper would dull quickly, otherwise that flavor could take over. A good bit of chocolate here. The problem is the pepper doesn’t just add some heat, but it dominates the flavors at the end and just kills everything going well here. It also takes away what I would expect to be a nice bitter finish.

Creamy decadent and wonderful body, but that cayenne pepper finish is just terrible.

This is nearly undrinkable beer. I really hope age helps this (this beer isn’t 30 days old) beer a LOT because right now this is awful. Unless I’m told age resolves this heat, I cannot recommend avoiding this mess enough!

2.1/5  rDev -50.2%

Yeah, really bad beer here. Ive had all the other Yeti's too and loved them. This one not so good. Seems to be a spicy hoppy bitter chocolate mess. Was way too hoppy for any of the other flavors to shine through. Maybe some age would do it good, but really not an enjoyable beer the way I had it.

2.1/5  rDev -50.2%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell at a recent Yeti tasting. Thanks Arne.

A: Pours like the regular Yeti. Thick black body, impenetrable to the light. Seems to have a slightly darker shade of mocha head than the regular one. Decent retention, not much lacing to speak of.

S: Lots of conflicting smells. The oak dominates, which I found kind of strange -- then chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt. Very little coffee, but it has some hop bite, and a substantial smell of cayenne pepper.

T: Like the smell, the taste isn't very well integrated. There's a dose of chocolate syrup up front. It gives way to a more stout-like package in roasted malt, vanilla, and coffee. Grassy hops come in for a short time, then the finish is a blast of cayenne pepper that really bites the tongue. I guess the spice is... interesting, but why would you do that? It's way overdone. Some booziness in the aftertaste (a lingering warmth). Overall, it just tastes very artificial somehow.

M: Pretty thick, but somehow less viscous than the original Yeti. Carbonation is ok. I feel the ABV a bit.

D: This beer feels pretty rough around the edges, and I wasn't impressed enough to seek it out again.

The entire time I was drinking this, the South Park song "Balls, Balls... Chocolate Salty Balls" was running through my head. It amused me, and made me more generous with the scoring.

2.15/5  rDev -49.1%

Bottled May 28, 2010

Pours a pitch black with 1 finger mocha colored head. Some spotty lacing. Looks really nice.

Initially, I smell citrus. Lots of hops in the aroma. Then I smell coffee, a little bittersweet chocolate, and a lot of roasted malts.

This beer is heavy, burnt, dark, bitter, and roasted. The flavors consist of lots of hops, some citrus, roasted malts, coffee, alcohol, and some sort of hot pepper. I have heard some people say cayenne- whatever it is, it doesn't taste good. Like somebody else said, it feels like someone is pepper spraying the back of my throat. I don't taste any oak or chocolate. It's astringent as well. Really unpleasant.

Thick and chewy mouthfeel. Pretty viscous and creamy. Low carbonation

Drinking this beer is a real chore. I choked down about 6 ounces and then I just gave up. I had to drainpour the rest. It is overly roasted, bitter, too hoppy, and too spicy. I taste the base beer but I don't taste any oak or chocolate. The spiciness and all the hops along with the alcohol completely mask all of the intended flavors of this beer. Its also overly roasted and astringent leading to lots of bitter, acrid, unpleasant flavors. Maybe with another year of aging this beer might be drinkable but, it's definitely not right now. I wasted $12 on this beer. Vile stuff.

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

On tap in a shaker pint. Burnt brown body with a smallish tan head that leaves a touch of lacing here and there.

The coffee in the nose is quite strong, although certainly not as overpowering as in the Espresso version, though. Other powerful aromas include dark chocolate and a rather potent dose of cayenne. Notes of cocoa and oak are so light, one wonders if they're imaginary. Tastes big and bold, but 'busy', a mishmash of big chocolate sweetness, charred coffee and an unyielding peppery presence. Bitterness seems to be alternately enhanced and overwhelmed by the pepper. The cayenne is just too strong for my taste, and the oak is little more than an afterthought. Even the booziness is somewhat subdued, showing up as an aftertaste more than anything.

Overall impression: An odd brew fresh; perhaps it would benefit from some aging. Then again, a base for a marinade might be the best use of this stuff.

2.53/5  rDev -40%

Appearance - looked good nice and dark with a good head. Was the best part of the beer.

Smell - oak subtle chocolate, ok smell, but nothing special.

taste - All I could taste was oak and some alcohol, no chocolate or anything else. The oak flavor was an overwhelming flavor, hard for me to even explain.

mouthfeel - Good feel, not too thick, kind of creamy, decent carbonation.

Drink - Not my cup of tea, at first I was ok with it even though the taste was less than impressive. But it started to make me feel ill pretty quickly. I drank maybe 6oz then drain poured it.

Notes: Biggest let down of the year, especially since I liked plain old yeti quite a bit. I am depressed that I had to drain pour such an expensive beer. I am not even sure what was going on in this beer. Guess it could be the chips versus barrel age, I have no idea I am too new to the world of beer to be certain. All I know is that oak flavor was way too overpowering for me.

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

As a disclaimer: although I consider the imperial stout to be my favorite style of beer, I wasn't impressed with the Imperial Yeti I had on tap at the Yard House a few months ago. I decided to give this Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti a go, since I was knocked off my feet by the Barrel Aged Imperial Yeti that a friend shared with me a month ago.

While better (less hoppy) than the Imperial Yeti I had on tap, Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti wasn't that special. I let it warm to room temperature, and it's aroma/flavor did improve a bit. However, it still doesn't seem to stack up with the other imperial stouts I love (LeftHand, Boulevard, Goose Island BBC, Grand Teton...).

I even shared it with a few friends. The general consensus was that there really wasn't much chocolate flavor, despite what the label said. It was just rather bitter, and that's about it. I wouldn't really recommend this beer. I doubt I'll be buying it again, when there are so many better options in the stout category.

2.63/5  rDev -37.7%

I wanted so much to love this beer. Yeti, Oaked Yeti, and the phenomenal Espresso Oaked Yeti are heavenly... but due to some unfortunate choices by Great Divide this beer will go down as a novelty not to be reproduced.

This is the second bottle I tried, to make sure I wasn't carrying any resentment, but alas the same problems show up twice.

The aroma of this beer and the appearance lead you to believe that this is going to be another great Yeti, but the taste and mouth feel ruin the beer.

Everything starts off good, but by your 5th or 6th sip the raw throat begins. This is undoubtedly due to the choice to "spice" the brew with cayenne pepper. By the time you finish the bottle your throat and chest are ablaze with the spice.

There are subtle notes of the chocolate that hint to what this could have been, but alas they ruined it by unbalancing everything terribly by making this a strange pepper brew.

2.65/5  rDev -37.2%

This is a gorgeous beer! Poured from a bomber into a snifter, it is totally opaque with a huge billowing chocolate colored tan head that is big and frothy and doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. As it dissipates down it leaves a very nice lacing.

The smell is really good, especially as it warms up (big surprise, right?) Roasted malt, chocolate, caramel sweetness, vanilla, wood flavors and booze all contribute to a really deep and complex bouquet. However, the booze and chocolate are really pronounced.

The taste is very interesting and not really what I expected. Up front you have a creamy and sweet mouth feel. The initial flavor is of roasted malt, chocolate and caramel; however, that is short lived, because almost immediately upon sipping you are kicked in the teeth with a big boozy and woody flavor. While the front is chocolaty and creamy, the middle and finish are very spicy and boozy with a big wood flavor. The aftertaste lingers with a biting boozy finish that burns the throat and mouth long into the aftertaste, which builds up a spicy flavor with each sip.

The flavors seem to be competing for dominance, with the booze and spice really overcompensating. The aftertaste was very potent and strong, making this a definite sipper. Perhaps this would mellow out with some aging?

2.7/5  rDev -36%

Had this at a tasting held by the esteemed DVelcich. Between him and StoutFest, we had some crazy good beers. This is reviewed from notes.

This is the third in the series of five in the Yeti line we had... This is my least favorite.

Pours nice. Viscous looking black. Very browned head with respectable lacing.
Smells nice. Good chocolaty smell with roasted coffee. Not quite as strong of a nose as I was expecting, and certainly not HUGE chocolate like I would have liked, but at least no hint of soy in this one, so we're off to a decent start.

The taste isn't too bad here, but it isn't really much different then the regular oaked Yeti. It seems to be the exact same beer in terms of taste... Maybe a touch more chocolate, but not enough to call this "Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti." If anything, this should be called, "Oak Aged Yeti-- with Chocolate."
Some coffee and chocolate notes here, but nothing that really wows me.

The mouthfeel is thick and slightly gritty. Isn't bad at all, but isn't great.

Here comes the downfall--- after about 4 to 5 sips, I begin to notice a strange feeling in the back of my throat... It is an odd burning-like sensation that seems to start below my cheeks, at the angle of my lower jaw, and work its way through the very back of my mouth and then halfway down my throat. And there it sits. It doesn't move. No mater how much water or pretzels, there it is. It is honestly the feeling you get just before vomiting, that gurgled burning sensation. Just awful.

Oh man, just typing this out has reminded me of that sensation... I'm done reviewing this one.

2.7/5  rDev -36%

22oz bottle poured into a globe, cracked as part of my brother's birthday tasting...

Appearance: pours black with half a finger of deep brown/mocha head. Minimal lacing. Tilting the glass reveals some seriously oily legs on this guy - it's a glass-coater. Carbonation is on point. It's beckoning me...

Aroma: Dark chocolate and charred oak almost exclusively. I couldn't detect any hop presence.

Taste: Wow...char. Lots of char, smoke & ash - kind of like sucking on a used oak briquette at the end of a BBQ. The bitterness (from the cocoa nibs? from the hops? from elsewhere?) overwhelmed my overall experience, and I was disappointed in not being able to detect the cayenne in the finish, or anywhere else.

Mouthfeel: The body isn't as heavy as I expected, but this one lacks the velvet creaminess I long for in a big stout.

Overall: My experience with this one was a let-down. The bitterness lasted throughout the finish without enough sweetness to offset it. And I would have liked more heat presence from the cayenne.

2.7/5  rDev -36%

A- Gentle pour reveals the deepest black I've ever seen in a glass, capped by a 2 finger thick, lucious, creamy head of dark brown molasses color. Good retention, and hefty lacing. Beautiful.

S- Lots of char and alcohol, but not a whole lot else. Only a touch of caramel, and maybe mocha pop through on the nose. Fairly uninteresting.

T- Oddly mild flavor considering what this beer is supposed to be. Milk chocolate dominates up front, with a touch of vanilla. Not particularly sweet with little malt character other than the char and chocolate flavors. The cayenne does not seem to be present at all, until after the swallow when a gentle heat takes over and lingers. This seems to be missing all of the things that make Yeti great, and adds a bunch of stuff that doesn't belong there. Poor balance, weak unnecessary flavor additions, and no real imperial stout flavors aside from the additions. I'm all for oak aging, chocolate, etc type of beers... but the beer still needs to be the main character, not completely overshadowed by the process.

M- Exceptional. Thick, viscous, and creamy carbonation. Just like the other Yeti's, this one is simply luxurious.

D- Low. While the alcohol is fairly well hidden, the heat from the peppers does build.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with this one. Somehow Great Divide took one of the greatest imperial stouts on the market and managed to ruin it. This is a prime example of the fact that you shouldn't mess with a good thing. In fact, Yeti and Oaked Yeti are excellent beers, and should not be meddled with. I never, EVER thought that I'd be pouring out half a bomber of Yeti, but I think tonight might be the night...

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company