1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Chocolate Oak Aged YetiChocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Ratings: 1991

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,991 | Reviews: 779 | Show All Ratings:
BeerImmediately

1.98/5  rDev -53.1%

22oz bottle into tulip glass at 45 degrees. Bottled May 3rd.

2F of sticky tan/brown head over jet black body with no edges. Great lacing.

Coarse aroma - burnt chocolate, dark fruits, strange plastic-like chemical quality, and dirty earth.

Cocoa up front, hoppy bite in the middle, but with a vodka-like alcohol burn on the throat in the finish... guessing that's the cayenne? Ashtray aftertaste - gross. It tastes like I'm breathing out a bad cigarette. WTF. Maybe this batch had too much cayenne dumped in??

Can't believe I'm drain pouring this after the amount of money I spent. This was the ONE beer I was going to have tonight. Pissed.

08-07-2010 02:49:30 | More by BeerImmediately
bobhits

Kentucky

2.03/5  rDev -51.9%

Dark black body, dark milk chocolate head. Extremely dark and perhaps the darkest of the Yeti beers.

Cocoa, roasted malt, and something adding a bit of warmth which I would guess to be alcohol and perhaps hops, but it could be the cayenne mentioned on the bottle. It doesn’t have any real aroma but just a heat.

Just to open, this isn’t Yeti as I know it. They didn’t just reduce hops, they simply made this a non hoppy beer! Next, the cayenne isn’t just a touch of heat, it’s in your face! This bottle is extremely fresh but I’d be worried to age unless I knew the pepper would dull quickly, otherwise that flavor could take over. A good bit of chocolate here. The problem is the pepper doesn’t just add some heat, but it dominates the flavors at the end and just kills everything going well here. It also takes away what I would expect to be a nice bitter finish.

Creamy decadent and wonderful body, but that cayenne pepper finish is just terrible.

This is nearly undrinkable beer. I really hope age helps this (this beer isn’t 30 days old) beer a LOT because right now this is awful. Unless I’m told age resolves this heat, I cannot recommend avoiding this mess enough!

05-23-2011 01:17:39 | More by bobhits
Arbitrator

2.1/5  rDev -50.2%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell at a recent Yeti tasting. Thanks Arne.

A: Pours like the regular Yeti. Thick black body, impenetrable to the light. Seems to have a slightly darker shade of mocha head than the regular one. Decent retention, not much lacing to speak of.

S: Lots of conflicting smells. The oak dominates, which I found kind of strange -- then chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt. Very little coffee, but it has some hop bite, and a substantial smell of cayenne pepper.

T: Like the smell, the taste isn't very well integrated. There's a dose of chocolate syrup up front. It gives way to a more stout-like package in roasted malt, vanilla, and coffee. Grassy hops come in for a short time, then the finish is a blast of cayenne pepper that really bites the tongue. I guess the spice is... interesting, but why would you do that? It's way overdone. Some booziness in the aftertaste (a lingering warmth). Overall, it just tastes very artificial somehow.

M: Pretty thick, but somehow less viscous than the original Yeti. Carbonation is ok. I feel the ABV a bit.

D: This beer feels pretty rough around the edges, and I wasn't impressed enough to seek it out again.

The entire time I was drinking this, the South Park song "Balls, Balls... Chocolate Salty Balls" was running through my head. It amused me, and made me more generous with the scoring.

06-30-2009 19:03:40 | More by Arbitrator
Murchmac

2.1/5  rDev -50.2%

Yeah, really bad beer here. Ive had all the other Yeti's too and loved them. This one not so good. Seems to be a spicy hoppy bitter chocolate mess. Was way too hoppy for any of the other flavors to shine through. Maybe some age would do it good, but really not an enjoyable beer the way I had it.

12-22-2010 23:12:21 | More by Murchmac
Dubber55

2.15/5  rDev -49.1%

Bottled May 28, 2010

Pours a pitch black with 1 finger mocha colored head. Some spotty lacing. Looks really nice.

Initially, I smell citrus. Lots of hops in the aroma. Then I smell coffee, a little bittersweet chocolate, and a lot of roasted malts.

This beer is heavy, burnt, dark, bitter, and roasted. The flavors consist of lots of hops, some citrus, roasted malts, coffee, alcohol, and some sort of hot pepper. I have heard some people say cayenne- whatever it is, it doesn't taste good. Like somebody else said, it feels like someone is pepper spraying the back of my throat. I don't taste any oak or chocolate. It's astringent as well. Really unpleasant.

Thick and chewy mouthfeel. Pretty viscous and creamy. Low carbonation

Drinking this beer is a real chore. I choked down about 6 ounces and then I just gave up. I had to drainpour the rest. It is overly roasted, bitter, too hoppy, and too spicy. I taste the base beer but I don't taste any oak or chocolate. The spiciness and all the hops along with the alcohol completely mask all of the intended flavors of this beer. Its also overly roasted and astringent leading to lots of bitter, acrid, unpleasant flavors. Maybe with another year of aging this beer might be drinkable but, it's definitely not right now. I wasted $12 on this beer. Vile stuff.

07-12-2010 01:40:11 | More by Dubber55
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

On tap in a shaker pint. Burnt brown body with a smallish tan head that leaves a touch of lacing here and there.

The coffee in the nose is quite strong, although certainly not as overpowering as in the Espresso version, though. Other powerful aromas include dark chocolate and a rather potent dose of cayenne. Notes of cocoa and oak are so light, one wonders if they're imaginary. Tastes big and bold, but 'busy', a mishmash of big chocolate sweetness, charred coffee and an unyielding peppery presence. Bitterness seems to be alternately enhanced and overwhelmed by the pepper. The cayenne is just too strong for my taste, and the oak is little more than an afterthought. Even the booziness is somewhat subdued, showing up as an aftertaste more than anything.

Overall impression: An odd brew fresh; perhaps it would benefit from some aging. Then again, a base for a marinade might be the best use of this stuff.

12-22-2010 19:57:45 | More by PDXHops
yuriruley

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -40%

Appearance - looked good nice and dark with a good head. Was the best part of the beer.

Smell - oak subtle chocolate, ok smell, but nothing special.

taste - All I could taste was oak and some alcohol, no chocolate or anything else. The oak flavor was an overwhelming flavor, hard for me to even explain.

mouthfeel - Good feel, not too thick, kind of creamy, decent carbonation.

Drink - Not my cup of tea, at first I was ok with it even though the taste was less than impressive. But it started to make me feel ill pretty quickly. I drank maybe 6oz then drain poured it.

Notes: Biggest let down of the year, especially since I liked plain old yeti quite a bit. I am depressed that I had to drain pour such an expensive beer. I am not even sure what was going on in this beer. Guess it could be the chips versus barrel age, I have no idea I am too new to the world of beer to be certain. All I know is that oak flavor was way too overpowering for me.

11-26-2009 04:35:15 | More by yuriruley
kcdc

Kansas

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

As a disclaimer: although I consider the imperial stout to be my favorite style of beer, I wasn't impressed with the Imperial Yeti I had on tap at the Yard House a few months ago. I decided to give this Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti a go, since I was knocked off my feet by the Barrel Aged Imperial Yeti that a friend shared with me a month ago.

While better (less hoppy) than the Imperial Yeti I had on tap, Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti wasn't that special. I let it warm to room temperature, and it's aroma/flavor did improve a bit. However, it still doesn't seem to stack up with the other imperial stouts I love (LeftHand, Boulevard, Goose Island BBC, Grand Teton...).

I even shared it with a few friends. The general consensus was that there really wasn't much chocolate flavor, despite what the label said. It was just rather bitter, and that's about it. I wouldn't really recommend this beer. I doubt I'll be buying it again, when there are so many better options in the stout category.

04-12-2010 04:22:55 | More by kcdc
dza360

Kansas

2.63/5  rDev -37.7%

I wanted so much to love this beer. Yeti, Oaked Yeti, and the phenomenal Espresso Oaked Yeti are heavenly... but due to some unfortunate choices by Great Divide this beer will go down as a novelty not to be reproduced.

This is the second bottle I tried, to make sure I wasn't carrying any resentment, but alas the same problems show up twice.

The aroma of this beer and the appearance lead you to believe that this is going to be another great Yeti, but the taste and mouth feel ruin the beer.

Everything starts off good, but by your 5th or 6th sip the raw throat begins. This is undoubtedly due to the choice to "spice" the brew with cayenne pepper. By the time you finish the bottle your throat and chest are ablaze with the spice.

There are subtle notes of the chocolate that hint to what this could have been, but alas they ruined it by unbalancing everything terribly by making this a strange pepper brew.

09-05-2009 04:25:48 | More by dza360
ClevoPiwo

2.65/5  rDev -37.2%

This is a gorgeous beer! Poured from a bomber into a snifter, it is totally opaque with a huge billowing chocolate colored tan head that is big and frothy and doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. As it dissipates down it leaves a very nice lacing.

The smell is really good, especially as it warms up (big surprise, right?) Roasted malt, chocolate, caramel sweetness, vanilla, wood flavors and booze all contribute to a really deep and complex bouquet. However, the booze and chocolate are really pronounced.

The taste is very interesting and not really what I expected. Up front you have a creamy and sweet mouth feel. The initial flavor is of roasted malt, chocolate and caramel; however, that is short lived, because almost immediately upon sipping you are kicked in the teeth with a big boozy and woody flavor. While the front is chocolaty and creamy, the middle and finish are very spicy and boozy with a big wood flavor. The aftertaste lingers with a biting boozy finish that burns the throat and mouth long into the aftertaste, which builds up a spicy flavor with each sip.

The flavors seem to be competing for dominance, with the booze and spice really overcompensating. The aftertaste was very potent and strong, making this a definite sipper. Perhaps this would mellow out with some aging?

08-21-2009 05:19:29 | More by ClevoPiwo
phisig137

2.7/5  rDev -36%

A- Gentle pour reveals the deepest black I've ever seen in a glass, capped by a 2 finger thick, lucious, creamy head of dark brown molasses color. Good retention, and hefty lacing. Beautiful.

S- Lots of char and alcohol, but not a whole lot else. Only a touch of caramel, and maybe mocha pop through on the nose. Fairly uninteresting.

T- Oddly mild flavor considering what this beer is supposed to be. Milk chocolate dominates up front, with a touch of vanilla. Not particularly sweet with little malt character other than the char and chocolate flavors. The cayenne does not seem to be present at all, until after the swallow when a gentle heat takes over and lingers. This seems to be missing all of the things that make Yeti great, and adds a bunch of stuff that doesn't belong there. Poor balance, weak unnecessary flavor additions, and no real imperial stout flavors aside from the additions. I'm all for oak aging, chocolate, etc type of beers... but the beer still needs to be the main character, not completely overshadowed by the process.

M- Exceptional. Thick, viscous, and creamy carbonation. Just like the other Yeti's, this one is simply luxurious.

D- Low. While the alcohol is fairly well hidden, the heat from the peppers does build.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with this one. Somehow Great Divide took one of the greatest imperial stouts on the market and managed to ruin it. This is a prime example of the fact that you shouldn't mess with a good thing. In fact, Yeti and Oaked Yeti are excellent beers, and should not be meddled with. I never, EVER thought that I'd be pouring out half a bomber of Yeti, but I think tonight might be the night...

09-17-2009 23:12:44 | More by phisig137
AleWatcher

2.7/5  rDev -36%

Had this at a tasting held by the esteemed DVelcich. Between him and StoutFest, we had some crazy good beers. This is reviewed from notes.

This is the third in the series of five in the Yeti line we had... This is my least favorite.

Pours nice. Viscous looking black. Very browned head with respectable lacing.
Smells nice. Good chocolaty smell with roasted coffee. Not quite as strong of a nose as I was expecting, and certainly not HUGE chocolate like I would have liked, but at least no hint of soy in this one, so we're off to a decent start.

The taste isn't too bad here, but it isn't really much different then the regular oaked Yeti. It seems to be the exact same beer in terms of taste... Maybe a touch more chocolate, but not enough to call this "Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti." If anything, this should be called, "Oak Aged Yeti-- with Chocolate."
Some coffee and chocolate notes here, but nothing that really wows me.

The mouthfeel is thick and slightly gritty. Isn't bad at all, but isn't great.

Here comes the downfall--- after about 4 to 5 sips, I begin to notice a strange feeling in the back of my throat... It is an odd burning-like sensation that seems to start below my cheeks, at the angle of my lower jaw, and work its way through the very back of my mouth and then halfway down my throat. And there it sits. It doesn't move. No mater how much water or pretzels, there it is. It is honestly the feeling you get just before vomiting, that gurgled burning sensation. Just awful.

Oh man, just typing this out has reminded me of that sensation... I'm done reviewing this one.

05-09-2010 05:18:06 | More by AleWatcher
exitmusic00

Oregon

2.7/5  rDev -36%

22oz bottle poured into a globe, cracked as part of my brother's birthday tasting...

Appearance: pours black with half a finger of deep brown/mocha head. Minimal lacing. Tilting the glass reveals some seriously oily legs on this guy - it's a glass-coater. Carbonation is on point. It's beckoning me...

Aroma: Dark chocolate and charred oak almost exclusively. I couldn't detect any hop presence.

Taste: Wow...char. Lots of char, smoke & ash - kind of like sucking on a used oak briquette at the end of a BBQ. The bitterness (from the cocoa nibs? from the hops? from elsewhere?) overwhelmed my overall experience, and I was disappointed in not being able to detect the cayenne in the finish, or anywhere else.

Mouthfeel: The body isn't as heavy as I expected, but this one lacks the velvet creaminess I long for in a big stout.

Overall: My experience with this one was a let-down. The bitterness lasted throughout the finish without enough sweetness to offset it. And I would have liked more heat presence from the cayenne.

05-16-2011 18:33:28 | More by exitmusic00
Takahiro

Netherlands

2.78/5  rDev -34.1%

Shared a 750ml bottle between 2 people. Poured into a snifter.

A: pitch black color with brown foam, which dissipated fairly quickly.

S: chocolate, earthy hops, some mint, vanilla, licorice, and alcohol

T: big chocolate/caramel taste comes upfront. then alcohol dances with pepper spiciness. very oily, almost medicinal phenolics lingers on tongue/nose area and is followed by some hop aroma. hop bitterness sticks FOREVER, and it felt too much to me.

M: sticky oil, viscous motor oil. intense flavor. this bottle seem to have too much cayenne pepper. Not well balanced.

D: Not so well with this one. It's just too big, thick, and spicy to down this one. I had trouble finishing my portion.

10-29-2010 04:12:31 | More by Takahiro
LilBeerDoctor

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

Bottle. Pours black with a pretty, thick tan head that fades. Aroma of wood and roasted malt. Perhaps a touch of cocoa, but I think my nose is straining to find it. Flavor is completely dominated by the oak/woodsy notes. I don't get how they can call this "Chocolate Yeti." Just the same as with Espresso Yeti, they should just as well have called this "Super Oaky Yeti" and drawn a bunch of wood on the label. Blech, this is really too oaky and sorta burns your insides when you drink it...

07-14-2009 17:44:27 | More by LilBeerDoctor
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Poured a deep black with good carbonation and a huge brown head

S: Lots of oak, roated malt, chocolate and booze

T: While the initial taste was ok it got worse as it went on. Astringent, alcohol burn and just bad. Bitter chocolate, oak, tobacco and way to much pepper.

M: Had harsh burn that stayed in the throat, not a good burn and it got worse as I drank more. The mouthfeel was not creamy but boozy, medicne, astringent

D: I wouldnt pay $4 for this and never drink again

06-21-2010 13:43:17 | More by barleywinefiend
jsanford

Georgia

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

A - Black with a thick & creamy chocolate mousse head that dissipates to a thick collar. Moderate lacing.

S - Chocolate and roasted malt dominate. Slight vanilla and coffee

T - Bitter chocolate and roasted malt leads to creamy vanilla. Spicy pepper finish initially keeps the beer nicely balanced and from being overly cloying (more on this).

M - Full bodied and creamy. Coats the palate.

D - Here's where it all goes south. At the start of my 11oz. pour, the drinkability was good. However, the initial pleasant chili "heat" gradually built up in the back of the throat, sip after sip, until it got unpleasant and borderline painful. I've used the term 'pepper-sprayed the back of my throat" before and I can think of no more accurate term. Perhaps if I paired with some food, perhaps some smoked BBQ or the like, this would be a winner, but for now keep it far away from me.

07-03-2010 23:10:03 | More by jsanford
HURTemHIZZY

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%

this was a bit of a disappointment for me. I've never had any of the other yetis, but I will certainly try them because they must be better than this one given all the hype.

Pour looks great: extremely dark brown, almost black, with a nice deep tan head that has great retention and leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smell is solid. A bit of bittersweet chocolate, as well as some richer chocolate notes. Some faint hop citrus and earthy tones, and a bit of alcohol.

The taste has a lot to it, but not necessarily in a good way. A bit muddled and a big let down given my expectations. Starts off with a bit of citrus hop flavors, and quickly rounds into notes of bittersweet chocolate, with some milkiness making its way in there. Then i get a good amount of heat, which I suppose is from the cayenne pepper, but it really clashes with the alcohol in the brew and makes it hard to tell which is which. The result really makes the back end of the flavor of this one much less enjoyable. The pepper is also overdone completely. I think with the chocolate and slightly burnt notes, a bit of cayenne could have done well, but the amount they added really hurt the flavor.

Mouthfeel is solid. A bit too much carbonation, but it is nice and creamy and smooth. Coats the mouth.

If it weren't for the clashing of the pepper and the alcohol heat, I think this beer would be awesome. As it is, though, it is just a decent imperial stout.

07-28-2010 02:47:19 | More by HURTemHIZZY
pants678

3.09/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Black with a brown head that recedes to lacing.

Smells from the bottle like cocoa or baker's chocolate. Enticing.

Not subtle at all and it's all in the name. A bit soda-esque in grit. I would prefer Young's Double Chocolate or even Rogue's Chocolate to this stout. The oak is too harsh, like gnawing on bark and for a simple beer of just two punches, that won't do. Too mean and not nearly enough sweet to be a dessert.

Hardly carbonated, I'd like it to be upped.

06-15-2013 04:18:46 | More by pants678
1Adam12

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Got this as a fathers day present from my mom. Thanks mom! Pours dark black, 2 inch head. Nose is malt and loads of chocolate, then even more chocolate. The taste, nice sweet choc...holy shit! Wayyy too much cayenne pepper. Lost me totally. I was feelin this beer until that. Nice try on the experimentation, but IMO, swing and a miss. 2 ounces of this would be plenty for me. Mouthfeel would be nice, but the longer it is in my mouth, the more pepper I get. I'm stoked I got to try this, and happy for the gesture from my mom (who when I got into beers, swore she'd never buy me one), but I'm really glad I didn't pay for this one. If you like peppery beers, really peppery beers, then this will be right up your ally. This just isn't for me.

06-19-2011 22:15:42 | More by 1Adam12
ohmybock

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours an appropriate dark color with a light ring of bubbly head which persists to the end. Aroma is more subdued than expected. There's a bit of cocoa, but a stronger note of wood in the nose (especially when it warms). The taste is richer with stronger semi-sweet cocoa up front, but then the wood kicks in. Once the wood kicks in, it doesn't let up and eventually becomes the dominating flavor in the finish. This brew is not as chocolaty as I was expecting, but it might be that the wood is just overpowering the chocolate. I'm not enjoying the wood in this brew. It's very obvious, and I find it an odd addition. I really wish GD would make beers like this chocolate Yeti and the espresso Yeti, but without the wood.

08-23-2009 22:41:05 | More by ohmybock
biglite351

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

A - no light and a tall brown creamy head.

S - Chocolates, dark and milk, and malts, but also a strong bitter hit, maybe hops, maybe bitter coffee or strong oak. Hard to nail down where the bitter comes from.

T - multiple chocolate through the flavor. Hops and oak are present. Bitter hit in the after taste.

M - medium coating with a mild tingle on top of tongue. Alcohol burn in throat.

O - a not strong in flavor and alcohol feel for more than one.

03-18-2011 21:15:06 | More by biglite351
badboyrsl84

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

Pour pitch black with a tiny tan head

Smell - chocolate, and some oakyness

Taste - upfront I get a ton of oakyness and some chocolate throughout. It finishes with a small hint of that pepper.

Mouthfeel - very smooth and easy to drink.

Overall - I still think the espresso aged yeti is my favorite in the series thus far. I still need to try the vanilla.

04-09-2011 05:23:27 | More by badboyrsl84
jgasparine

Maryland

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin tan-colored head, which completely evaporated with time. No lacing; just a little collar on each. The body was completely opaque and jet black in appearance.

S- The nose is rich- overwhelmingly chocolate- like milk chocolate, with a little booze on the nose, a touch of vanillins, and a touch of oak fruitiness. Quite complex and interesting.

T- Flavor is overall disappointing. I'm getting some mildly sweet roasty malts up front, but they are quickly overwhelmed by toasted oak flavor and an intense wave tannin delivers an intense bitterness through the finish. Far less complexity than I would have hoped for from the nose. Where's the chocolate? Oh yeah- it's hidden beneath the oak haphazardly thrown into this brew...

M- A big chewy body with some creaminess imparted by a soft carbonation. Substantial astringency and some moderate heat from the ethanol. The astringency is what holds-back this beer form a better rating on mouthfeel.

D- Drinkability is hindered by the overwhelming bitterness and astringency. This is definitely a beer worth tasting... but not worth drinking 22oz. of...

08-07-2010 13:35:02 | More by jgasparine
Stacy53

Indiana

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Great Divide- Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti- Bottled on: 5/3/10
Just one month old

A- Dark, Dark, Dark. Two finger head, looks like a good one.

S- Vanilla, Chocolate, Oaky, and malty

T- Dark chocolate with powerful spices. Wow this beer is hot, you can taste peppers and alcohol. The oaky chocolate is quickly covered by the spice.

M- Thick and hot.

D- This one is a bomber to share for sure. Very alcoholic and a slow spicy sipper.

I must say that I like the original much better.
I am going to save a bomber of this for a while and see what age does for it.

06-18-2010 19:44:23 | More by Stacy53