Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,591 | Reviews: 844

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Behold, the perennial stout. After chasing down limited release stouts as if they were Tickle Me Elmo's, it's great to chill out with a rock solid stout that's available year round.

The pour is drop dead gorgeous, dark black, syrupy pour, with a significant amount of cappucino-colored head. Great lacing on the bottle. Too pretty to drink. Then again....

Smell is deep chocolate, maybe some cherries, grains, malt of course. Not really picking up much in the way of oak.

Taste is a bittersweet chocolate bomb. I said goddamn. There is not, however, a whole lot of oak character. Who cares? Pretty good as it is.

Wonderfully slick, perfectly carbonated, a little bit thinner than I would have liked, however.

When stouts like this are so accessible anywhere anytime, why is it we behave like jackasses trying to get our hands on limited release stouts?

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Served in a 16 oz. snifter

A- pours black with 2 finger dark espresso head. Some lacing but resides quickly.

S- roasted dark malts, chocolate, some oak woodiness.

T- bitter dark chocolate, roasted malts, some sweet ness is also there.

M- medium body, rather creamy and smooth. Alcohol hidden very well.

O- my least favorite of the yeti varieties, but still a good impy stout. Fairly one dimensional.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a heavy black colour, with gorgeous reverse cascading from the bottle. Head is incredibly dark, a very deep brown colour, with a fine bubbling, which forms patchy lace when turned. It looks incredibly rich, incredibly rich and awesomely good.

Nose is a rich chocolate melange, blending deep cocoa characters with a bittersweet roasted character and hints of vanilla and butter. It's incredibly sweet, but hanging on to the robustness of a really nice dark stout. It's a really gorgeous aroma.

Taste is extremely smooth and supple, with lovely chocolatey characters coming through the rich, bittersweet Imperial Stout basis. It's supple and smooth, and the chocolate lends a really sensuous and beguiling character to the beer, which let's face it, was already a pretty damn attractive beer. Feel is rather light, giving a slickness, but not much body. I could almost enjoy a bit more thickness and heaviness, even though that would make it an immense beer to drink.

Really nice brew. I had this (coincidentally) alongside Mikkeller's Beer Geek Brunch Islay Edition, which was also an excellent beer, for very different reasons. While it had smoke and interest, and craziness, this has a gorgeous smoothness and a wonderful integration. I find it difficult to split the two. These are both phenomenal beers.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

this poured a dark black color into a bordeaux glass. Very good and frothy head

rich and pungent aromas filled with roasted coffee, belgian chocolate, hot caramel and a good amount of malt tones

full bodied and really smooth feel. Very polished with the feel being the big star and delicious flavors of belgian chocolate, malts, caramel and toffee

This was great. It was so smooth and deep that all you could do was savor it.

4.19/5  rDev -0.7%

Indulged this plenty of times on tap, and always delicious. Now for the bottle version.

Into a tulip, pours a dark, creamy, ice cream head atop a viscous body. Oily and angry, agitates fairly well.

Rich aromas of dark bitter chocolate, wood chips, mild coffee, and a tad bit of spice-laced brownies. It takes a strong *whiff* to derive all of it, even after it warms.

Flavors meld together well between the chocolate and cayenne pepper, the latter manifesting well on the finish. But that’s after it warms – initially it’s an oaky roast-bomb with brownies and French coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied; nothing too substantial but nothing too thin either. A fair balance considering the ABV intensity.

Overall, reminds me slightly of an oak-based Black Phoenix by Bootleggers. More oak and chocolate (duh!) on this one though, with the obvious cayenne versus chipotle difference. It’s comparable in that you’ve got a complex stout with just the right amount of caliente.

I love Yeti, period. And while the Espresso version is still my favorite this one comes in at a close second.

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

My first experience with this stout was an epic one. Pours black as night in a pint glass and allows no light to shine through.Very small khaki head that quickly dissipates.

Nice chocolaty smell with significant hints of roasted coffee. Upon the first sip you're hit with a smooth, sweet, malty beer that blows your mind. The chocolate and coffee that were evident in the nose are very apparent in the taste as well. The Brooklyn Chocolate Stout was my favorite until trying this one. I'm going to stock-up on this brew.

Absolutely fantastic brew. Great Divide never disappoints.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into my Stone IRS specialty snifter glass.

Appearance - Light and slow pour yields a nice fluffy 1 finger high head of darker brown cocoa color. Head sticks around for a bit, then fades out leaving a small ring around the edges and a small cluster of bubbles in the center. Pours with that thicker consistency that you expect from an RIS and the color of the brew, black as the night, is on point with one too.

Smell - I swirl this one up some before I stick my snout in closer - Notes of thick dark and bittersweet chocolate/cocoa nibs hit you right away, chocolate and roasted malts and lots of them also abound in this one, some muted coffee, hints of caramel, toffee, and vanilla, as well as some oak/woodyness on the back there with just the slightest hint of spice like chili pepper heat. Had I not known this had some spice brewed in it, I probably never would have picked up that spice note. Nice, inviting aroma.

Taste - On to the taste. This one hits me up front with loads of roast and malt flavor, but for an RIS that's not altogether too surprising. Then I get some of the dark and bittersweet chocolate/cocoa nibs, but not quite as much as I expected from the nose. Next I get a good deal of coffee, along with lots of toffee and some caramel and molasses behind that, but they're lighter qualities. Along for the ride is some light vanilla and oak flavor that I actually expected more of beacuse it was aged on oak chips. Also I actually a bit of detectable hops more on the piney bitter end and as I burp, I get a confirmation of this. Frankly, from the burp taste, I'd love to get more hops on the taste, hoppy stout style, but I won't judge this one on a lack of hops, it's not supposed to have much really. On the end here I get a light but quite obvious chili heat/cayanne pepper taste that coats the back of my tounge and throat nicely mixing in with the very slight hint of alcohol presence. For anyone that thinks that the spice would be a complete turn off, it's really not intense or over the top at all, just very light to give this one an added push in the unique end of the spectrum. Really, another great brew from Great Divide.

Mouthfeel - Almost a rich velvety consistency, light-moderate carbonation, medium-full body, and a dryer finish that lingers a while with that chili head and spice and some chocolate and bitter coffee, but it doesn't linger to long - I'd say a little higher than average. This isn't a super thick RIS, but it is very nice, rich, and viscous which makes it quite drinkable. I'm glad it's not super thick and heavy or else I'd have to split the bomber of this, which I find myself not really wanting to do.

Overall - A great brew overall. Great Divide hits the nail on the head yet again. One of my favorite breweries out there. I must admit I've passed this and all the other Yeti variations many a time in the stores and thought about getting them, but I've been more focused on more limited beers and specialty releases. All this time, look at what's been right below my nose. With a recent scare that Great Divide would be pulling out of my area, I think I'm learning to appreciate them more and more while they are still around. Bottom line is that if you've got a taste for a big bold stout that's a bit different from the rest, give this baby a try. Hell, give all the Yetis a try and give all the Great Divide beers a try. I think the majority of them are stupendous and all of them are at least worth a try once!

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured out like a nice thick ale, it’s a black color with strong brown hues, a thin dark tan head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. It has some decent lacing looks like an ale fit for a king. The aroma is nice and sweet with caramel undertones mixed in with tootsie rolls, I also picked up a slight soy sauce aroma coming from it(this kind of scared me for a bit). Its taste is just wonderful, its got lots of sweet chocolate flavors mixed in with some dark fruits and is a bit tart on the tongue. It has a nice semi sweet and chocolaty after taste with just a mild hint of alcohol.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours an oily black. Brown and fluffy head that does not quit. Aromas are a blast of chocolate. Like sticking your face in a Valentine's day chocolate box. Dark brownie batter and sweet milk chocolate blend well. Subtle notes of oak and vanilla. A smooth transition of flavors across the palette. Rich dark chocolate, coffee and vanilla then creamy smooth milk chocolate. The finish is burnt oak and bakers chocolate bitterness. I'm may eat too much spicy food but the peppers were not apparent for me.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Bomber bottled 04/19/2011.

A: Well this a gusher. Once I got past that it poured a solid black with a deep mocha head about 2 fingers in height.

S: Smells of tootsie roll and bitter toasted malts. Some dark chocolate as well with a solid oak presence.

T: Very chocolaty as I expected. Bitter cocoa nibs with a slight coffee roast as well. The oak peeks up during the middle and lingers throughout the rest of the sip. Dark bitter chocolate aftertaste.

M: A little too much carbonation for the style. Medium to heavy bodied.

O: A little too much carbonation for me, but the flavors were nice and I like the different chocolates I was able to taste.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark black with a medium-large espresso-colored head. Scent is very woody with a lot of chocolate, espresso, and molasses. A hint of vanilla. Taste is just as it smell, but with a ton of oak/wooden characteristics and vanilla. A hint of toffee and burnt malt as well. Mouthfeel is full bodied with a creamy finish. Drinkability is scary-high (as with all the Yetis). Overall, it's a Yeti...what do you expect?

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber to an imperial pint. Bottled on May 28, 2010, so we have close to a year and a half on this one.

A: Opaque and black with a thick, foamy, chocolate milk-colored head that sticks around and leaves great lacing.

S: Oak, charcoal, chocolate, plum, and vanilla bean.

T: Roasted barley and malt, smoky oak chips, semi-sweet chocolate, plum, vanilla, and a kick of cayenne pepper at the finish. The peppery kick is a bit harsh after the first six ounces or so.

M: Smooth, full-bodied, and lightly hopped but the pepper really leaves a bang at the back on this bottle.

O: Would have been a 4.5 for me if not for the pepper. Don't know if it was the age on the bottle that made the cayenne a bit too potent for me or not. Would be excellent w/o so much peppery bite.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a large snifter glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. This one is from the July 2009 bottling.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a dark brown, almost black, liquid with a 1” light brown head composed of lots of medium and small sized bubbles. As the beer slowly but visibly recedes it leaves some foam around the sides of the glass and some leggy lacing sticking to the glass. Sipping creates a line of a ring that arches over lots of small speckles of lacing.

Smell: The aromas include roasted malt, dark chocolate and a sharp almost dry under tone that tingles the nose and most certainly has to be the cayenne. This is all wrapped in a slightly woody character from the oak.

Taste: The flavors are mostly predicted by the nose with the first thing showing up being the dark, bitter-sweet chocolate. This is followed by a touch of bitterness that seems mostly from the roasted malt. The oak fades in and out as the other flavors come out to play and take their turn on center stage. No real presence of the alcohol shows up except possibly a touch of sweetness until the effects are felt.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is on the light side of full bodied and a bit smooth with the moderate to light carbonation. The finish is reasonably long and ends with a dry bitter heat from the cayenne and some espresso like bitterness of the dark roasted malt.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: I found this one an interesting beer to drink but have to say it isn’t as drinkable as the basic Yeti, the version I’ve enjoyed the most. I’ll probably not be buying another of this version as there are other Imperial Stouts I’d rather drink, including the basic Yeti. My overall impression is of a well made beer that is a worthwhile experiment, that some will like and some won’t. As for me, I can take it or leave it and will probably leave it.

Note: It isn't that I don't like pepper and chcolate as a combination. One of my favorite chocolate bars is the Lindt Chili and Dark Chocolate. But somehow the Cayenne and Dark Chcolate flavors in this beer just don't quite mesh well for me.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a snifter.

Poured beautifully out of the bottle, dark dark black, unable to see through it. Half a finger of light coffee head faded fairly fast. Lovely lacing sticks well on the glass, a pretty beer.

Smells strongly of hops at first, a noted bitterness. A swirl in the glass makes the scent a bit more complex, chocolate, coffee, and oak all present. A very nice roasted coffee aroma, bitterness still takes over.

Definitely bitter dark chocolate and black coffee taste. A light booziness, just a touch of sweetness (vanilla?) and some roasted flavors, a litte spicy in the finish. Nice.

Heavy in the mouth, this is welcome. Prickly carbonation, spicy cayenne notes really linger after swallowing, very warming. A sipper I think, the alcohol content doesn't knock me over in the taste but does get me nice and toasty.

I need more Great Divide Beers!

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

REVIEW #400!

Pours a deep black with no change when held up to the light. Head is the consistency of baking powder and vinegar; like a chocolate middle school science fair volcano. Lacing is uber sticky.

Smell is rich chocolate ganache with buttery toffee mixed in. Also the aroma of dark chocolate covered blueberries. Earthy hops balance well with the assortment of decadent aromas.

Blackstrap molasses, burnt marshmallow, astringent dark chocolate and espresso make the taste for me. I also get a little of the vanilla notes from the oak and a dusting of cayenne pepper, but only in the finish AND only if you wait a minute or two for the astringent burnt flavors to subside. Very burnt and almost too roasty for my taste, but the balance of hops save it at the last minute.

Smooth, silky and a joy to sip, though the bitter roast character sticks in the back of my throat and dries things out just a little bit.

A good beer that I had been saving for review 400. While enjoyable, the bitter, burnt roasted barley character is very strong that I feel that this beer MUST be paired with either meat or creamy dessert to break up the harsh dark chocolate character.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Gorgeous looking black, and viscous with a deep mocha colored head that rises a half inch high, bubbly and molten fading into a creamy top.

Deep complex aromas of bakers chocolate, cocoa, big mollasses, black fruits, light hints of oak, leather, some tobacco characters, burnt breads, hints of vanilla and earth.

Wow very mellow in the mouth and delicious. Light oak with some wood tannins, bitter bakers chocolate, milk chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, burnt caramel, roasted yams, mollasses, burnt sugar, alcohol, a mocha like creaminess, thick viscous, complex and a long finish. Delicious.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Picked up a bomber from Total Wine in early May for $9.99. Bottled on 10-7-10.

Beer poured black as night with a nice brown head upon initial pour.

Nose is malty with some hints of cocoa.

Taste is malt forward with cocoa as the centerpiece. Hops linger in the background, finish is hot from the cayenne.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and really smooth.

Overall this is a pretty good variation of Yeti, definitely fun to try.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color with a rocky tan head that leaves a few dots of lace

Smell: Roasted malt, dark chocolate and scorched marshmallow with undertones of cayenne

Taste: Dark chocolate infused caramel with scorched marshmallow, up front; by mid-palate, both the hops and the cayenne come roaring in, with the cayenne leaving a burning sensation into the finish; chocolate syrup undertones, throughout

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; heat on the tongue from the cayenne

Overall: Wasn't expecting the cayenne, but love the impact it has on this beer

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer poured very thick and reminded me of pouring syrup as it went into the glass.

The beer is a very dark brown, almost black with very light brown head. The aroma is strong of chocolate and malts.

This is a good strong stout full of flavor.

Cheers!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company