Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.
4.46/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 4/9/10, opened 4/16/11. Poured a rich midnight brown into a tulip with a finger of extremely dark mocha head. Relatively mild aroma of chocolate malt and a hint of spicy pepper.

Moderate carbonation and an ultra-smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Gentle roast and chocolate up front with vanilla and toasty oak followed by a spicy cayenne kick. Long finish with dark cocoa and further traces of cayenne that build with each sip. Interesting dry (almost chalky) feel on the finish that is perhaps due to the spice.

A wonderful combination of flavors that are balanced extremely well. Wonderful chocolate character that isn't too overbearing, and the cayenne adds so much to the overall flavor. Liked this more than the espresso Yeti; next up, the "regular" oak aged.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a thick black with a finger of tan head that retains and laces well. The aroma has notes of roasted barley and bitter chocolate. The taste begins with cayenne pepper and then moves to bitter chocolate and coffe grounds. The mouthfeel is nice and balanced with a velvety ending. This beer is amazing and should be tried.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

The COAY pours out a super black color with one of the darkest heads i've ever seen! The head is nice and thick but doesn't have much lasting power. It does leave excellent lacing though. The nose is mainly RIS with lots of fresh oak and just a touch of chocolate, which in my opinion is the perfect amount (for all additional spices...if you can pick it out it's too much!!!). So the oak is way too much. It has a fresh oak/pencil shaving character that I cannot stand when it's this strong. The flavor is identical. Too much fresh oak. I don't remember the oak yeti having this flavor way back in the day...maybe they changed their oaking technique...you do what you gotta do.

Underneath all of the oak and cocoa nibs, I can tell it's such a MARVELOUS beer! Yeti will always stay close to my heart and for that I love tasting the different variations of it. It would've scored MUCH higher but that harsh oak flavor really takes away from it :(

I still love you little brother Yeti.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance: Beautiful very dark brown with thick lacing and a tan head.
smell: Yep, chocolate. Subdued chocolate compared to Southern Tier Choklat and Mokah.
taste: Silky smooth start but a bitter aftertaste that's a little rude.
overall: a little disappointed. I bought this and put it back for a year. What could possibly be wrong with a chocolate oak aged imp stout? Nothing wrong, but after KBS and Southern Tier, the bar is higher.

3.16/5  rDev -25.1%

Pour pitch black with a tiny tan head

Smell - chocolate, and some oakyness

Taste - upfront I get a ton of oakyness and some chocolate throughout. It finishes with a small hint of that pepper.

Mouthfeel - very smooth and easy to drink.

Overall - I still think the espresso aged yeti is my favorite in the series thus far. I still need to try the vanilla.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: poured a dark brown in color with marron highlights and a thin bubbly head leaving a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: smoky oakiness pops out right away with chocolate malts, caramel and toffee, hints of booze. I kind of got slight vanilla as well.

T: the oaky character was more potent on the palate with roasted chocolate malts, smokey notes, and caramel toffee accents. I did get faint coffee flavor on the backend.

M: the brew was medium to full in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a oaky, roasty, mild sweet, smokey, and silky finish.

D: definitely one of the best out of the yeti series and was pretty strong on the oak how I like it. IMO the espresso is the best.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a Snifter. Very black and chocolaty looking. Thin tan head. Good lacing.

Aroma is very oaky. Little bit of roasted malt. Some chocolate.

Taste is almost the same. Very oaky and roasty with a bit of sweetness and some chocolate.

Mouthfeel is almost like dry because of the bitterness of the roasted grains and the oakyness but there is some maltiness too.

Overall a tasty beer but regular oak aged yeti is the best IMO

3.46/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pitch black with a nice 1 finger mocha head. Decent retention, took a few minutes to fade but never went away.

S: Bitter dark chocolate dominates, slight bit of oak if you look for it, vanilla.

T: All chocolate bitterness, nothing really else, tasty but totally one sided with the dark chocolate. Tastes like a 80% cocoa bar. After about 4 sips though you start to feel the pepper. Good heat in the finish.

M: Nice and thick, this is one of the best qualities of the beer, smooth creamy mouthfeel, with the bite of chili on the finish.

O: Hope this gets more complex over time, this bottle was from the newest batch. Will celler my others and taste them over time.

4.01/5  rDev -5%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours black with a firm two finger cap of brown head, great thick lace and head retention. Like its brother Oaked Aged Yeti, this is one great looking beer.

S: A pungent aroma of dark chocolate, with a hint of vanilla and spice.

T: Dark, high cocoa count chocolate is the flavour, 90% of the taste, just dominates. Very much secondary oak flavours, but you really have to look for them.

M: Full-bodied, frothy, creamy, robust.

O: A big beer for sure, I just wish the flavour had some more nuance. While it tastes good, it's one-dimensional. Frankly when I found out this beer had cayenne pepper in it, I was shocked since it's nowhere to be found in the actual flavour. Hopefully, some more nuance will come out with some age. Nevertheless, you certainly get what's advertised, and it's a good beer even if I seem like I'm harping on it; I quite enjoyed it.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Split with russwbeck.

Tasted side by side with Espresso Oak Aged Yeti.

A - Similar looking to the other Yeti versions; dark, flat black, with a half-finger of dark tan head. The head has similar retention to Oak Aged, with it having lower retention than the Espresso version. Surprising, this version has a lighter head than both the normal, Oak, and Espresso offerings. Leaves a thin strand of lacing, less than the Espresso version.

S - The nose of this is slightly disappointing, as I am personally not getting a whole bunch more chocolate in the nose than regular Yeti. Has the distinctive, hoppy smell and the oak influence in the form of wood and a bit of vanilla is apparent.

T - Fortunately, the chocolate comes through more in the flavor than in the nose. However, considering the name of the beer, I was expecting much more chocolate here, as I've had other stouts that don't promote their beers as having big chocolate notes that have more chocolate than this beer. Still lots of hops and oak, but as it warms, this one has the least amount of wood taste of the three Oak offerings (which is a good thing). If the bottle didn't say this had cayenne in it, I would be hard pressed to notice it, but it does seem to leave a tingling in the back of the throat. Even still, it's more of a feeling than a taste.

M - Mouthfeel is thin, relatively light-bodied with low carbonation. As noted earlier, there is a feeling of the cayenne pepper in the throat after drinking a bit of this.

D - Drinkability is moderate. Overall I'd say this was my favorite of the Oak Aged Yetis as the sawdust feeling of oak in the flavor is minimized here. Unfortunate, as normally I like the flavors that oak and barrels impart, but this series just took to a new, uncomfortable level.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Enjoyed with nhindian. Tried side by side with the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti

A: As with all the Yetis, nice sized brown head rests atop a black and opaque pour. Espresso has a nicer sized head, but the retention and lacing are very similar.

S: The smell isn't unlike normal Yeti, chocolate and roasted malts leading the way. It seems like the coffee is way understated here, which is probably the point.

T: Mainly chocolate on the taste, but a bit of oakiness throughout. The big difference here is no coffee on the backend. I attribute the ending taste to the cayenne pepper added. Not so much a taste, but a feeling.

MF: A little lighter than Yeti. It seems the oak aging has cost this beer its creaminess in all cases. The carbonation is fine, and the finish is dry. A slight warming booziness is detected as well.

O: Not as good overall as the coffee or fresh yeti, but better than oak aged. A bit of a miss here for more. I loved the fresh Yeti, and was expecting these to take it to another level, none of which did. Perhaps the barrel aged Yeti will change my mind.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Midnight color. Absolutely no light through the glass. Very nice dark deep tan head retention with medium carbonation. Very good lacing on the glass

S- Chocolate and vanilla notes come up from the glass. Much less hoppy than original Yeti.

T- Very smooth and complex flavor profile. Chocolate and vanilla notes with a nice roasted flavor. Slight coffee notes towards the back end.

M- Silky smooth and it sits nicely on the palate.

Overall - Very good! The beer is very complex but every flavor shines through well. It's smooth and frankly delicious. Definitely worthy of the Yeti banner. If you like heavy stouts with chocolate notes, this beer is totally for you.

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

I'm aware this is the chocolate, not espresso, aged Yeti but it looks like a tall glass of freshly-pulled Americano. It is an inky black liquid topped with a super-frothy layer of dark brown foam that leaves large streaks down the sides of the glass. That lacing looks permanent and the head responsible for it looks like it was just waxed over with a floor polisher.

There's not much in the aroma that set's this apart from the regular Oak Aged Yeti except maybe that the wood is much more perceptible, but that's more likely attributed to the fact the malts have faded some in the year and a half since bottling. Trying it fresh I remember much more chocolate. The hops, as is the case with each and every member of the Yeti family, are still perked up and revving to go. They've aged little.

The idea of adding chocolate to one of the tastiest stouts ever to grace my lips sounds downright tantalizing. But it turns out that adding additional ingredients - even if they be delicious and complementary - to a flavour that's pretty much perfect to begin with, doesn't make it taste much better. How do you improve that which needs no improvement?

Rather than be disappointed, however, I'm just relieved that adding more stuff (cocoa nibs, cayenne pepper) didn't compromise any of the original flavour. It's all still there: the zestful, brimming piny hops, the rich espresso, real vanilla bean, dry splintery wood, mocha cake, chocolate liqueur, cigar and, once again, the zestful, brimming piny hops. It never ceases to amaze me when an almost 10% beer can be spoken of so casually.

I wasn't sure I'd ever open my last bottle of COAY, but I'm glad I didn't let it sit any longer. It's still a mighty indulgent treat, but was surely better fresh. The cayenne has become enlivened in the wake of a wearing maltiness and, frankly, the piquancy is a bit peeving. But I will concede it's a clever match for the spruce-y, spicy hops. The oak too has become quite prominent, leaving a lastingly dry, smoky, cigar-like feel on the palate.

I wish life were like a box of Chocolate Oak Aged Yetis. When I first had this beer fresh I was dazzled; while the beer seems to have lost some luster aging since then it is still nothing short of what I'd consider a truly special stout. I've a standing order to always buy whatever Great Divide I can find and that's doubly applied to any Yeti spin-offs.

3.17/5  rDev -24.9%

A - no light and a tall brown creamy head.

S - Chocolates, dark and milk, and malts, but also a strong bitter hit, maybe hops, maybe bitter coffee or strong oak. Hard to nail down where the bitter comes from.

T - multiple chocolate through the flavor. Hops and oak are present. Bitter hit in the after taste.

M - medium coating with a mild tingle on top of tongue. Alcohol burn in throat.

O - a not strong in flavor and alcohol feel for more than one.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bottle to a imperial pint.

Thick black looking pour with a 1.5 finger head on it. Initial smell is just like you opened a bag of Fig Newtons. Really overpowering. I let this one sit and open up a bit before I came back to it. Good thing I did. It smells of slight char and greatly of bakers chocolate. A little bit of roast and malt on front followed by smooth creamy chocolate. Very impressive. Not bitter or harsh in the least.

We lined this up against a 3 year old Yeti. There was no comparison this bad boy was king. Very drinkable and wonderful.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

22 ounce bomber, bottled on May 10th, 2010.

A: Pours a dark, dark brown with a little chocolate head. No laceing sticking around.

S: Lots of chocolate, a little vanilla, and oak. No surprises here!

T: Very chocolate forward. Not getting much oak as I think the chocolate overpowers it. Mild hops in the end, and yes you can feel a little heat in the back of your mouth from the caynenne!

M: Thinner than expected, but smooth.

D: A nice beer, but I will stick with Foothills Sexual Chocolate when seeking out this style in the future.

After the first pour, I think the highlight of this beer is the cayenne! Its a very good chocolate stout, but I enjoyed the heat!

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz. bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Snifter. Dark chocolate brown, almost black in color. A hard pour gives a dark tan colored head that creeps to the top of the glass. It really doesn't stick around for too long, and not a heck of a lot of lacing to it.

Smell has a lot going on. Malts right off the bat. Large amounts of chocolate and slight coffee hints detected, dark roasted chocolate malts. Some earthy woody tones which I gather is from the oak. Still very well hopped; a large dose of earthy hops jump out at your nose as you smell.

Probably not the best of the Yeti series, bu none the less it's very tasty, like most everything from Great Divide. Large amounts of the dark roasted chocolate malts are detected. Chocolate tones are obviously present, more of a bitter chocolate, and again a slight black coffee flavor. Like the smell there is an earthy woody flavor and still there are hops noted in the flavor profile; pine. The flavors are very well blended overall, and despite a lot of different bitter flavors, it is a little sweeter than one might expect.

The mouthfeel is very good. It's certainly full bodied, big, bold, and very smooth. Starts smooth and sweet and ends with a strong bitter biting finish. No bite from the alcohol and an excellent carbonation level. Very drinkable, a bomber could be polished off in an evening by any stout lover.

Much enjoyed Christmas present from a good friend. Curious, I'd like to get it again at some point and age it for another year to see if it mellows out even more.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

After having the Espresso Yeti, knowing it was a good beer but not being a fan of coffee (at least not as much coffee as the beer had), I decided to go after the Chocolate Yeti. Unlike the Espresso Yeti I had bought before this Chocolate Yeti was not 4 years old.

This beer looked yummy when I poured it out. It's head was nice a frothy with a nougat color to it.

The color was of a very dark dark chocolate (+80% cocoa) and I couldn't see through it even when putting it directly up to a light. I inhaled first liquorice, then chocolate, and finally coffee.

Taste was very much the same with the stronger flavors (naturally) of alcohol and liquorice hitting me first. It was a bit hoppy too but it was barely noticeable. Coffee dominated the middle body with a sort of toasted chocolate taste lingering at the end. I didn't notice the slight spice of cayenne pepper that went along with the chocolate until I re-read the bottle and it mentioned it. After a second taste I noticed some vanilla with the liquorice.

The feel of the beer is smooth. I know a lot of people really like these Yetis but they don't seem to be my...cup of tea. I know they're good but I prefer other stouts to the Yeti.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Okay, first and foremost. Never had this beer before, never read a review. As I already had the Oak aged and Espresso in my possession (although I have not cracked them) I figured this would be a nice triple play.

A- Dark, dark and friggin' darker. No light getting through and I put it right against the lightbulb even.

S- I have a shitty sense of smell. I have 3 small kids so after changing 1000 diapers and having your nose broken several times it's hard to smell much (you kinda block whatever sense of smell you have left out for sanity's sake). Dipping my nose into the brew, this shit smells awesome man. Chocolate and roasted malts galore.

T- Here it goes, I have not taken a sip until right....now. that's good. Nothing wrong here. This is really fantastic. Thick, rich and chocolatey. The only thing they could have added was maybe some vanilla or caramel just to make it like a dessert. I have to admit, normally, I would be 1/2 way through this by now, but this is thick and roasty and I can feel the alcohol burn so it's a total sipper.

M- really, perfect. Nothing else to say, perfect mouthfeel.

D- Well, it's 22 oz. which is not even 2 'normal' beers,so I should be done well before now. This is where it becomes a tough beer to drink consistently, It's chewy. A special treat to be savored and enjoyed.

I will absolutely be drinking this again!

Matt

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- dark black with brown mocha head

S-chocolate and boost smell. Roasty.

T- chocolate. Not overwhelming though. Slight booze kick with cocoa and roasty wood. Pretty awesome taste

M- Very smooth. Goes down smooth and feels good

D-definately want more. Well balanced, smooth, excellet.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: A very dark brown in color - almost black. Poured a gorgeous dark tan head, about 2 fingers worth. Very attractive looking beer.

S: Big oak and chocolate aromas pour out of this beer when put into the glass. Roasted malts and barley are present along with some earthly hop character. Little bit of vanilla coming through as well.

T: Multiple waves of flavor hit your palate upon your first sip. Following the nose brilliantly, Big chocolate and oak flavors blast their way through followed by the roasted malt and barley combo. Some molasses and slight spice coming through.

M: A very thick milkshakey beer. Very very smooth that coats the palate nicely. Alcohol very well hidden and complements the flavors nicely. Carbonation pretty impressive as well.

D: Great drinking imperial stout that is pretty sweet and very hard to put down. Will be coming back for more and more of this.

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%

02/07/11- Had a 22 oz bottle of this one.
A: Nearly opaque black, it poured with a one-finger tan head that died quickly to a good flim and collar with some lacing.
S: Dark chocolate, fresh oak (typical of Great Divide's barrel-aged), and some vanilla, boozy and earthy with plums, raisins, and brown sugar. Pretty good.
T: Dark chocoalte, lingers like a coffee truffle, the fresh oak is mild and clean, and there are some raspberries. Nothing to write home about.
M: A little too spritzy, but otherwise OK.
D: Pretty decent. Half the bottle is good.

This is good overall, but not really the best example of a barrel-aged chocolate double stout. I probably wouldn't buy it again.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

234th review on BA
Bottle to snifter
5/3/2010 bottle date

App- Lush, rich and smooth looking extremely dark brown that flirted with black in color. A perfect two finger light brown bubbly head. Lacing was very nice as well.

Smell- From the bottle notes I get the same smells. Oaky vanilla with some malt, chocolate and a touch of hops.

Taste- I really enjoyed this beer. It had a multi-faceted taste that was well done. The vanilla was done just right not to infringe on the chocolate taste of the beer. To my surprise I did a get a bit of heat on the back from the cayenne.

Mouth- Full bodied and low carbonation. A nice velvety drink. Improved the flavor of the NY steak I paired it with.

Drink- A really nice flavorful stout variation. The three yeti's I have had were very good. I think I should have gotten the oak aged 1st as to not be let down on flavor.

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at Stirling Hotel served in a stemmed glass.

Pours jet black with a very small tan head. Medium lacing on the glass. Smell is of faint chocolate and molasses. The taste is of rich chocolate and cream with a little licorice at the end. This tastes like alcoholic chocolate milk. There is definitely some alcoholic burn in the mouthfeel, but in a good way. If it wasn't there I would of downed this beer in 2 seconds and at nearly 10% that would be dangerous. My favorite version of Yeti without a doubt.

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

Done from brief notes at a beer festival

A: Jet black with a big brown/red head.

S: Chocolate, dirt/earth, and hops. WOW! great aroma with an awesome balance of sweet and spicy.

T: Big time wood and earthiness. Bitter hops. SLightly metallic and burnt coffee/molasses flavors. They work well together.

M: Thick and rich. Bitterness puckers the mouth. Spicy booze. Mouth is still coated in sugary goodness.

O: Not bad. Love the balance with a great level of bitterness. Sweet and full of complex espresso and dark chocolate.

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company