Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.
4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

A: This was one of the best looking pours of stout I can recall. I'm usually not much for appearance ratings to begin with, but this thing looked gorgeous - thick, ruddy brown head that stood 1" tall on a 3" pour in my tulip glass. The head remained for at least 5 minutes after the pour.

S: Cocoa powder, chocolate scratch-n-sniff stickers, and smores. Some serious sweetness underlying the chocolatey scents.

T: Tastes better than the scent, which is quite a compliment. It was a wonderful blend of chocolate and coffee flavors with an oaky presence in the background. Bittersweet and milk chocolate flavors (and hints of chocolate milk as well) are really the dominant flavors overall.

M: Good body. It's not nearly as thick or viscous as something like BORIS or even BCS. However, given the amount of head it had, it's not overly bubbly either. Nicely done.

O: This is a wonderful beer that I might actually like as much or more than Sexual Chocolate (gasp). Probably my overall favorite chocolate stout, and is worlds ahead of Southern Tier's offering. Glad I had a whole bomber to enjoy.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter. Bottled on April 6, 2011.

Appearance: Pitch black with huge brown head and pretty nice lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate, molasses and vanilla. Also, quite floral and spicy.

Taste: Fantastic malts upfront with bitter chocolate, molasses, vanilla and char all intertwined. Finish is more bitter and spicy, with hops, cayenne and a roasted bite. The cayenne becomes a little distracting.

Feel: Luxurious full body with low carbonation. Finish is quite dry and somewhat warming. There is also a burning sensation from the cayenne that, in my opinion, is a serious problem. I might like that feeling from spicy food, but not from what should be an extremely smooth Stout.

Overall: I like that Great Divide really tweaked the Yeti recipe for this one, by adding oak chips, cocoa nibs and cayenne, while lowering the hops. However, while I admire the ambition, the cayenne ultimately prevents this from being a world class Imperial Stout for me.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Super dark chocolate color w/ an almost perfect two finger chocolate head. This looks like one serious beer! Lacing is great on this one. Close to a 5, just not quite- still... an impressive beer.

S- Oak, Hops, chocolate, coffee, malt. Nice smelling beer. If I had one critique, I'd like it to be a little smoother smelling. The balance seems to lean on the oak and chocolate side for sure.

T- Wow. This beer is really nice. You definitely get the oak, chocolate, and malt in the taste. There's also a burn- like a chile burn on the backside and aftertaste. That's the only thing that keeps this from being a 4.5. Definitely a complex beer, and while this isn't my favorite Yeti... it's a good one. A sipper at 9.5%....

M- The overwhelming feel is that chilie burn. It's smooth for the first few seconds, then boom! That burn kicks in. Not a big fan of that. I'd like more velvety richness in the feel. This is the weakest part of this beer for sure.

O- A good beer, but not world class, and not my favorite Yeti. Still, this one is worth picking up if you like the style. Glad I got to try it...

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

22 oz bottle in wine glass. Bottled on by 3/24/2011

A - Beautiful. Pours a pitch black with a finger of gorgeous dark brown head. Exceptional head retention. Great lacing. The head on this is insanely impressive for an imperial stout at 9.5%.

S - Chocolate by the bucket full, oaky char aroma, glorious roasted malt and plently of coffee bitterness.

T - Up front some coffee bitterness and a touch of alcohol heat. Leads into a beautiful roasted malt display and a perfect chocolate malt finish. An oaky character is present throughout. The spiciness from the cayenne (all in the finish) is clearly evident and I feel is detrimental to the overall experience, as it presents itself as too similar to alcohol heat, convincing my mouth that the booze is poorly hidden, when it isn't. I prefer the standard Yeti and other variants, almost entirely due to the cayenne kick.

M - Creamy and full bodied, with considerable alcohol heat. Wonderful. The feel is a bit different from regular Yeti, with a bit more hotness that detracts from the experience. Something of an oily feel, presumably from the pepper.

O - Overall this is a brilliant beer, but perhaps a step below the standard Oak Aged Yeti. The chocolate is wonderful, but it drowns out some of the other flavors a little, resulting in a somewhat less balanced beer. A touch too hot, due to the inclusion of the cayenne. While the cayenne is a big detractor, I still find this beer just as irresistible as every other version of Yeti. A fascinating take on one of my all-time favorites.

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

into a snifter

Pours black with a thick mocha tan head that fades to some moderate lacing.

Smells like roasted malt and cocoa mostly. A little coffee and oak as well.

Tastes like bitter dark chocolate. Nice roastiness from the malt. Some hop bitterness at the end and it seems like the cayenne blends right in with the alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

Overall is a god beer but I'm not sure I'll buy this one again.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am enjoying this bottle of stout after returning home from bringing the wife and kids to a Yankees game. After walking 8 blocks through the south Bronx with my family this tasting is an out and out entitlement and I forewarn you that these results may be skewed.

That being said this Imperial Stout poured into a goblet with an inky blackness its unbarrelled brother did not. It had a rich cocoa colored head that dissipated somewhat but stuck around with some nice lacing.

The nose is fully loaded and funky, and when I say funk I mean George Clinton Bring Da Funk goodness. Notes of oak, leather, tobacco, coffee and chocolate abound.

This is one of those stouts that dance on the taste buds in the back of the tongue and throat. The oak shines through with bakers chocolate and coffee notes. All in all very nice.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy and has more carbonation then I anticipated but that does not detract from the goodness.

Overall this is a very nice addition to the Yeti lineup and I would certainly recommend it to anyone that enjoys these Imperial Stouts, you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!!!

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter...

APPEARANCE

This guy is as dark at the pupil in Yeti's eye. 2-3 finger dark-brown head with pretty good retention.

SMELL

Lots of dark chocolate and roasted malt. There was a good amount of coffee, as well as black pepper, and just a hint of some hop presence. The cayenne pepper wasn't too prevalent in the nose.

TASTE

There was a big amount of - you guessed it, dark CHOCOLATE. It had a good roasted malt character. There was a slight coffee flavor, as well as a slight smokey flavor. Very little booziness, but it was masked well. It had a little bit of that black pepper taste. The cayenne pepper comes out at the end, and I found it to be quite pleasant after the big amount of sweetness this beer has to offer.

MOUTHFEEL

This is pretty thick - not as thick as other Imperial Stouts, but still very thick. It had a nice warming character from the alcohol, and it that little kick from the cayenne pepper. This beer is definitely a sipper.

OVERALL

A good beer, and a very interesting take on chocolate imperial stouts. I must say, I was more than a little worried when I found out that there was cayenne pepper in this beer, but it's pretty subtle compared to the other flavors in the beer. I now know why they don't advertise this as "Chocolate-Cayenne Oak Aged Yeti" - because I think it would be a turn-off for a lot of people, especially considering the cayenne is just a small percentage of the overall flavor. I'd definitely drink this again!

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

Dark black body and a bubbly brown 1 inch of head. Some of the chocolate and cayenne comes through in the aroma but it's nothing real impressive. Tastes better than it smells. The taste isn't really different, just stronger. This is a pretty boring stout without the cayenne. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much.

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at George Street Alehouse before. Served in a pint glass.

Pours black with an inch of tan head. Leaves minimal lacing, but its a very nice looking beer.

Smell is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, toffee, alcohol, and a hint of oak.

Taste is rather bitter in a coffee/dark chocolate way, opening up to some caramel sweetness. Finishes with an alcohol burn. Its nice, but the alcohol needs to fade. No where in there do I get any spice.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, not too much carbonation, but very nice.

Overall its good, nothing too great. Seek out, but don't expect the world.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottled on Mar 24, 2011. Thank you for dating, GD! Dark as dirty motor oil. Deep black body with no light penetration. Very small dark mocha head. Very little retention and no lacing, as expected for the style.

Chocolate aroma is the first to hit the nose. Blends nicely with some dark, roasted malt.

Well, I think the pepper detracts overall. Of course the chocolate and malt are abundant, but the peppery spiciness seems at odds with the overall flavor balance. Add in some oak and coffee and there it is.

Still, smooth and silky in the mouthfeel. Very little notice of the alcohol. Decent overall, but I would prefer less cayenne. I'd like to try this with some age on it and see if the flavors blend a little better.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Black with a dark brown cap of foam.

S: There's a huge aroma of roasted malts and cocoa powder. Also, molasses and a bit of dark fruit thrown in.

T: There's a pretty big roasted characteristic in here along with a slightly burnt flavor and some dark chocolate. The finish brings some hop bitterness and a slight bit of heat from the cayenne. This was my first Yeti and I'll definitely be seeking out some of the others very soon.

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Knownfactor for sending me this one!

Pours a thick motor oil black with a huge 3 inch dark chocolate colored head. Lots and lots of ring lacing around the glass on the drink down. Smells of dark cocoa powder, roasted coffee beans, oak chips, and vanilla extract. The taste is dark chocolate, chocolate covered espresso beans, earthy wood, and spicy chili powder. It's interesting to see that they added cayenne to this beer as I think that it would be great even without it. Mouthfeel is super thick and creamy with low carbonation. There is a burn in the throat that could either be from the alcohol or the cayenne. Overall, this is an extremely good stout and another great Yeti variant. I am glad I have a few extra bottles in the cellar.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours an oily black with two fingers of dark brown head. Very good lacing.

Nose is chocolate, roasted malt, a good bit of hops, and coffee.

Taste follows the nose. Sweet chocolate followed by a lot of roastiness and coffee flavors and a good amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with little carbonation. Very very creamy.

Overall this is excellent. It's bitter but not too dry and the creamy mouthfeel really fits it well. Very full flavored and enjoyable, but it's a sipper.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finished up a tasting recently with this brew. Ended up splitting the bottle three ways into snifters. The brew had a finger worth of dark coco colored head sitting on top of a black bodied brew. The head laced perfectly in the glass, it’s a beautiful stout. You get a great amount of coco nibs coming at you in the nose. I didn’t get much in the way of wood or barrel at all I even asked another Geek with me and he couldn’t pull any either I think the coco is just that strong. The flavor was perfect for a chocolate stout. This one is done right. The brew wasn’t sweet milk chocolaty but reminded me of a good piece of dark chocolate with a little pepper spice thrown in. It had a great mouthfeel to it thick and coating on the tongue. I enjoyed this brew and after a few sips I sparked a good cigar (JDN Antano dark Corojo) to go with it and this brew just worked perfectly with it.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours essentially black, thick, with a massive cascading dark tan head. The head lingers so long, I'm starting to get a bit impatient - I want to drink this thing! Loads of lacing, little craters forming in the head.

Smells lovely, with a whole bunch of balanced aromas all bouncing around in there. Chocolate, of course, some dark chocolatey malts, vanilla oak, and a bit of hop and roasted malt bitterness. Each time I smell it, a different one of these is more prominent than the others, but overall the malts come through a bit stronger than the rest. Also a little alcohol late.

I generally find the Yeti series too bitter and hoppy for my tastes. I can appreciate hops in stouts, but I just find Yetis unbalanced. The bottle says they toned it down for this one, but IMO, not quite enough. The main flavors for me go like this: dark slightly bitter chocolate malt, hop bitterness, chili spice (which lasts for quite a while). I don't pick up as much of the chocolate or oak as I did in the smell, and the hops and spiciness are much more pronounced. If I taste it slowly, the flavors feel unbalanced. If I just slurp it down, it's quite a bit nicer. The cayenne is really quite strong and persistent, and makes my mouth tingle. I like the effect it brings; I just wish it had some more good flavors to go along with it.

Mouthfeel is quite good. Heavy, fairly thick, but with enough carbonation to make it really smooth. Goes down quite easily for such a big beer.

There are a lot of things to like about this beer. The cayenne is a really interesting touch. And I think folks who appreciate more highly hopped stouts might like it a lot. It's still good. But for me, it would be more enjoyable if the flavors were in better balance.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a pint glass. Body is black with a "chocolate milk" head, very frothy. Pretty different...

Smells predominantly of cocoa and sweet malt. A tad bit of oak and cayenne pepper in the background.

Taste, sadly, is the opposite. Predominantly cayenne pepper that becomes more apparent as you drink. Some sweet toffee malt. Milk chocolate flavors just lingers in the background.

Mouthfeel is silky and milk chocolate like, would go down so smooth if not for the pepper in the front. No carbonation at all.

Overall, I love Mayan chocolate blends when it comes to just about anything. I feel the chocolate should be the star with a supporting cast of pepper just to provide a little kick and keep things interesting. This brew was the opposite though, especially as you drink more of it, the pepper just dominates everything.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap at George St ale house in New brunswick, NJ

Arrive in a pint glass pitch black with a half finger of milk chocolate colored foam. Awesome lacing. Bitter chocolate aroma, some oak, vanilla undertones.

Dark roasted flavor. Surprisingly bitter. I would prefer this a touch sweeter, maybe let the chocolate shine through more. Booziness isn't too bad for such a big beer.

Overall this is great. A bit more chocolate and this is an A plus in my book.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Picked up the second to last bottle from Henningshead bomb

A- Pours a Deep Deep black, motor oil, deep brown head, heavy lacing on the edges

S- Smell pretty amazing, heavy like chocolate, tobacco, lots of Oak, malts alll up in the bitch. Almost like a cigar.

T- Very deep chocolate, Marshmallow, Burnt coffee, very robust, also a bit of bitterness from the hops at the very in. Not as oaked as I would have liked,and a bit to much roasted chocolate, but I guess that is why the chocolate is before the oaked

W- Lots of alcohol burn, from the robustness of the drink.

O- Not my kind of imperial stout, but a very well crafted one, there are not random tangents and I can respect the brewery, being its my first. Overall, didn't like the whole beer.

4.46/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 4/9/10, opened 4/16/11. Poured a rich midnight brown into a tulip with a finger of extremely dark mocha head. Relatively mild aroma of chocolate malt and a hint of spicy pepper.

Moderate carbonation and an ultra-smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Gentle roast and chocolate up front with vanilla and toasty oak followed by a spicy cayenne kick. Long finish with dark cocoa and further traces of cayenne that build with each sip. Interesting dry (almost chalky) feel on the finish that is perhaps due to the spice.

A wonderful combination of flavors that are balanced extremely well. Wonderful chocolate character that isn't too overbearing, and the cayenne adds so much to the overall flavor. Liked this more than the espresso Yeti; next up, the "regular" oak aged.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a thick black with a finger of tan head that retains and laces well. The aroma has notes of roasted barley and bitter chocolate. The taste begins with cayenne pepper and then moves to bitter chocolate and coffe grounds. The mouthfeel is nice and balanced with a velvety ending. This beer is amazing and should be tried.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

The COAY pours out a super black color with one of the darkest heads i've ever seen! The head is nice and thick but doesn't have much lasting power. It does leave excellent lacing though. The nose is mainly RIS with lots of fresh oak and just a touch of chocolate, which in my opinion is the perfect amount (for all additional spices...if you can pick it out it's too much!!!). So the oak is way too much. It has a fresh oak/pencil shaving character that I cannot stand when it's this strong. The flavor is identical. Too much fresh oak. I don't remember the oak yeti having this flavor way back in the day...maybe they changed their oaking technique...you do what you gotta do.

Underneath all of the oak and cocoa nibs, I can tell it's such a MARVELOUS beer! Yeti will always stay close to my heart and for that I love tasting the different variations of it. It would've scored MUCH higher but that harsh oak flavor really takes away from it :(

I still love you little brother Yeti.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance: Beautiful very dark brown with thick lacing and a tan head.
smell: Yep, chocolate. Subdued chocolate compared to Southern Tier Choklat and Mokah.
taste: Silky smooth start but a bitter aftertaste that's a little rude.
overall: a little disappointed. I bought this and put it back for a year. What could possibly be wrong with a chocolate oak aged imp stout? Nothing wrong, but after KBS and Southern Tier, the bar is higher.

3.16/5  rDev -25.1%

Pour pitch black with a tiny tan head

Smell - chocolate, and some oakyness

Taste - upfront I get a ton of oakyness and some chocolate throughout. It finishes with a small hint of that pepper.

Mouthfeel - very smooth and easy to drink.

Overall - I still think the espresso aged yeti is my favorite in the series thus far. I still need to try the vanilla.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: poured a dark brown in color with marron highlights and a thin bubbly head leaving a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: smoky oakiness pops out right away with chocolate malts, caramel and toffee, hints of booze. I kind of got slight vanilla as well.

T: the oaky character was more potent on the palate with roasted chocolate malts, smokey notes, and caramel toffee accents. I did get faint coffee flavor on the backend.

M: the brew was medium to full in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a oaky, roasty, mild sweet, smokey, and silky finish.

D: definitely one of the best out of the yeti series and was pretty strong on the oak how I like it. IMO the espresso is the best.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a Snifter. Very black and chocolaty looking. Thin tan head. Good lacing.

Aroma is very oaky. Little bit of roasted malt. Some chocolate.

Taste is almost the same. Very oaky and roasty with a bit of sweetness and some chocolate.

Mouthfeel is almost like dry because of the bitterness of the roasted grains and the oakyness but there is some maltiness too.

Overall a tasty beer but regular oak aged yeti is the best IMO

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company