Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Chocolate Oak Aged YetiChocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009)
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Before I get to reviewing I would just like to say that I absolutely love the original and Espresso Oak Aged Yeti.

Poured a beautiful black into my pint glass. Lots of coffee colored head that hung around for a good while. Good lacing with every sip. The smell was slightly startling not because I disliked it but because I hadn't read the bottle and didn't know it was seasoned with cayenne. I definitely picked up a nice chocolate and roasted malt aroma. Not much hops in the nose. What there is a lot of, though, is cayenne. I'm not complaining because I enjoyed it but I'm not sure why they would have added this to the beer. The taste was much like the smell. Nice chocolate and roasted malt up front. Then the cayenne kicks in. Its not horrible by anymeans...mainly because I really enjoy the taste of cayenne but it seems very out of place in this brew. A slight alcohol warmth comes in as the cayenne fades out. It definitely feels full in your mouth. Drinkability is good and I would definitely recommend this beer to a friend but give them a warning about the cayenne.

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

A - Black with a thick & creamy chocolate mousse head that dissipates to a thick collar. Moderate lacing.

S - Chocolate and roasted malt dominate. Slight vanilla and coffee

T - Bitter chocolate and roasted malt leads to creamy vanilla. Spicy pepper finish initially keeps the beer nicely balanced and from being overly cloying (more on this).

M - Full bodied and creamy. Coats the palate.

D - Here's where it all goes south. At the start of my 11oz. pour, the drinkability was good. However, the initial pleasant chili "heat" gradually built up in the back of the throat, sip after sip, until it got unpleasant and borderline painful. I've used the term 'pepper-sprayed the back of my throat" before and I can think of no more accurate term. Perhaps if I paired with some food, perhaps some smoked BBQ or the like, this would be a winner, but for now keep it far away from me.

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

A- Pours a pitch black syrupy looking liquid into my goblet with a fairly large mocha colored head. Nice lacing to boot...

S- Roasted malt forenose. A bit of espresso comes through with undertones of the chocolate. A spiciness pops up here and there but settles very earthy.

T/M- Bitter roasted malt with an deep alcohol spicy finish. Little chocolate noticed and the oak comes and goes. The mouth is about how imperial stouts should be- barely any carbonation and decently full body.

D- I'm not really feeling this one like I thought I would. The alcohol is just a bit too much for me. I can definitely sip this one for awhile, but more than one in any given night would be a lot for me... Edit- bumping score from a 3 for overall to style and not drinkability now

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Gto from Growler at Grey Lodge. Took home before trying. Was very impressed.

Poured deep brown almost black with better head than expected for the style that had some ok lacing and reduced to little more than a ring quickly.

A dark chocolate malt dominated the nose which hid the presence of the almost 10% Abv.

Taste was great, lots of dark chocolate up front and the coffee toasted malty goodness you'd expect from the style. The oak aging was not something I could easily pick out but assume the smooth taste is a result of just that. I think the dark chocolate and 9abv overpowered the oak for me though.

Was medium to full body with a silky creamy finish that kept me wanting more and helped to hide the high alcohol.

Overall another great job by the boys and girls at Great Divide. Not a session beer by any means but the drink-ability of this could easily get me (or you) in trouble.

RESPECT

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-black color stout with a heavy brown color foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of bitter back chocolate malt with light roasted malt notes. Taste is a very fine mix between some bitter black chocolate with notes of roasted malt and light dry roasted coffee. I couldn't really detect the oak to be honest though. Body had a creamy texture which I quite enjoyed with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very well done and with some complexity and some great drinkability factor. Definitely something I would wish to have access to.

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Loved each Yeti I've tried yet this was the toughest to land...except barrel aged of course.

A - Black as night and oilish with a light brown head. Just a beautiful looking imp stout

S - Peppers and a hint of chocolate. I don't get much of the oak and boy I hope it'll be in there!

T - Pepper up front then chocolate and some roast malt. Man those peppers stand out! I was not expecting the cayanne to be so apparent! As it warms up the pepper really hits the back of your throat and the chocolate lines my tongue. Interesting...but not in an enjoyable way.

M - Rich and creammy, very nice for an imp stout

D - As it warms the pepper and chocolate are becoming a bit much. It is warm out and it's not as enjoyable on a summer night like the bottle said it was going to be. It'll be a truggle to finish this bottle

Overall I'm not too pleased with the pepper in here. Love the oak aged version, like the espresso and the regular yeti. But this one is a bit frustrating. I just can't get over the pepper! Now that I have a Hunaphu I'm glad to hear they taste nothing alike!!

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Surprisingly big head of close to finger's worth of dark brown foam, mix of all bubble sizes, not much lacing but good head retention in general. Pure black liquid, if black could be blacker, this would be it. In the nose the sweetness of the milk chocolate triumphs over the otherwise formidable roast, coffee beans, grilled nuts, toffee, comes on with oatmeal, wheat and raw grains, more hoppy kick apparent as it warms, little to no presence of fruit or citrus, seems to want to make sure they were not kidding with the word "chocolate" on the label. Full-bodied, here you find that missing kick, a first tastes like chili pepper infused chocolate. Sweetens some as you acclimate, but not much, more cocoa to mocha than chocolate, dusty texture. Roasty coffee takes down any caramel or toffee notes. Carbonation is demure, not absent but there are periods of inactivity. Maybe, just maybe, some orange peel otherwise, again, no fruit nor citrus. The hops add more punctuation than narrative and, really, with all that spiciness it is very hard to gauge the hop nuances, your mouth is kinda, err, on fire. Very pleasing to try and has personality, one bottle is more than enough pour moi.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into Dogfish Head snifter. Served chilled, then warmed to a bit below room temp.

A: Pours a gorgeous black color that looks as thick and dark as oil. Zero light comes through, even if held to the light. Head is two fingers, a beautiful dark brown (possibly darkest I have ever seen). Decent head retention and lacing.

S: Smells very malty, with a caramel sweetness. A decent amount of cocoa comes through with some spice on the back end. Very nice.

T: Very interesting. Is not like most chocolate stouts that lean towards the sweet and milky chocolate side of the treat. This is definitely just cocoa. It has a nice bitterness and mild sweetness. Did not get too much spice from the pepper at first, but as the drink warms it gets quite a bit stronger. Definitely able to still taste the distinct yeti characteristics.

M: Very thick, medium carbonation that really brings out some nice characteristics of the beer, especially on the finish. There is an enjoyable heat (not just spice, actual warmth) as the beer goes down the throat.

D: While delicious, I wouldn't want more than one snifter of this. Definitely a sipper.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a portsmouth snifter, shared with a couple non-BA buddies, drank from refrigerator cold to just under room temp

A: Looks great, dark black with a medium dark brown head. Really looks great for the style.

S: not a ton there for me at first, less chocolate than i expected. a lot of oaty/ malty tones, and a little burnt coffee. kind of underwhelming

T: much better than the smell. malty chocolate and coffee, great development. the chocolate did not overwhelm, but it was well balanced. the best part, however, was the spicy heat that built up from the cyan. i have had several beers with that spicy characteristic, and this one is a great example

M: not bad, but a little thinner than i like RIS's, and disappointing given the taste

D: very good to the last drop, but is strong. smooth but enough to drink a ton of it

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to Evil Twin for bringing this one out to the tasting. I think this is a good time to remind people that "Beer People R Good People". Anyways..
Poured super dark, and had little to no nose. Well I am not going to lie I dug right into this beer. The taste hit me upfront with some Dark Chocolate and hints of coffee. The body on this is "on-point", great balance of thickness and carbonation, the mouth feel is perfect. The flavors blend so well together, and they get better with a bit of warmth. DAMN THIS IS GOOD. It is rare that a beer comes out with such a large distribution area that is soo damn good. Honestly to style it is up there with Choklat....I will hunt this Yeti down again and savor it again!

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Well this is another venture into the Yeti. I am impressed with how much GD can play around with this one beer and make it different enough from release to release to keep it interesting. I would say with total confidence that this one is the most interesting yet.

Pours a deep, dark opaque black. From above the glass you can see the slightest caramel ring of light around the beer. A beautifully mocha colored head thinly forms on this one. Does't stick around, but I loved it while it lasted.

The chocolate is front and center on the smell.You can't smell it per say, but you can sense the cayenne in the scent. Minutest tickle in the top back of the throat. I'm liking this beer already. I've had several beers with a cayenne element in them and forget each time how pleasing it is. Just another wonderful layer to this beer that I am already a fan of.

You can definitely tell they scaled back on the hops on this one. I think it was a good move. The bitterness of the extra cocoa nibs takes the place of the hop bitterness in a very smooth way. Bitterness is at the end of a quaff instead if more up front. The heat from the cayenne is beautiful. Warming the top of the mouth and the back of the tongue.

Mouth feel is a little less than what I was hoping for, but not disappointing. In a way i think it lets the heat come through more. No real complaints here.

I do believe this is now my favorite Yeti release. As delicious and it is interesting. A summer stout, indeed.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

On tap at ujs glenside.

A- two fingers of brown head sits atop a sea of black. Head settles to spots of lace and a nice ring.

S- dark roasted malts and some of the darkest chocolate I've come across. Oaky with a mild hint of sweetness.

T- the cocoa and oak take an aggressive lead and really never give it up. Rich dark malts play well with the bunch, some bitterness and just a touch of underlying sweetness.

M- thick and chewy with some good coating ability. Mid to low carb.

D- its a big brew and it does rock the tongue. Abv is a factor but not the end all be all. Its good just not the best.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottl einto an English dimpled "pot" pint glass
Pitch-black, with a moderate head of tan foam
Aroma-Chocolate and coffee
Taste-Milk chocolate, roasted coffee with cream,oakey spicines, a bit of hop bite, and nicely balancing cayenne pepper notes that linger with a bit of warmth.
Very smooth and well-balanced, many tasty, complex flavors to savor. "Hot" chocolate indeed!

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Poured a deep black with good carbonation and a huge brown head

S: Lots of oak, roated malt, chocolate and booze

T: While the initial taste was ok it got worse as it went on. Astringent, alcohol burn and just bad. Bitter chocolate, oak, tobacco and way to much pepper.

M: Had harsh burn that stayed in the throat, not a good burn and it got worse as I drank more. The mouthfeel was not creamy but boozy, medicne, astringent

D: I wouldnt pay $4 for this and never drink again

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Bought a ghetto growler of this (1/2 gallon milkjug). Poured it into a snifter. Black, black, black color with a dark cappuccino head. Very good looking beer.

Aroma is super strong on the oak. This is followed by what I first thought was hot alcohol, but I now think is that hint of cayenne pepper in there. This was followed by the smell of roast/chocolate although this was more subdued than I expected. The oak really was the dominant character.

Taste is really complex. The first thing is creamy chocolate followed by burnt roast coffee flavor then some pretty substantial hop bitterness (eventhough they say it's lower here than in the regular Yeti, it is still really strong here). Then comes a bit of alcohol slight burn (or maybe this is some of the drying oak character) finally followed by a tingly front of the tongue sensation due to the cayenne pepper.

Mouthfeel is thick & rich & creamy. Nice character. I'm not completely sure I'm crazy about the cayenne in here, but everything else about this beer is awesome, and the tingly cayenne sensation is certainly interesting in here.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

first impression wow

high alcohol flavor then a rush of chocolate VERY VERY chocolatity
the chocolate flavor lingers very well with a hint of spice
there is supposedly vanilla in it but i do not taste it however you do smell it along with a nuttiness

do to alcohol taste it is a sipper and it is a very very black beer probably should say dark but the beer is black the head forms well but does not stay a lace forms

i would have to say this beer is much like dogfish heads theobroma just much more chocolate taste and more spice (i do suggest you try that beer as well if you havent)

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Great Divide- Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti- Bottled on: 5/3/10
Just one month old

A- Dark, Dark, Dark. Two finger head, looks like a good one.

S- Vanilla, Chocolate, Oaky, and malty

T- Dark chocolate with powerful spices. Wow this beer is hot, you can taste peppers and alcohol. The oaky chocolate is quickly covered by the spice.

M- Thick and hot.

D- This one is a bomber to share for sure. Very alcoholic and a slow spicy sipper.

I must say that I like the original much better.
I am going to save a bomber of this for a while and see what age does for it.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Vintage: 2009 Served from tap into an imperial pint. Pours a deep black with a tan one finger head that subsides to minimal. Maintains excellent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt and chocolate. The flavor was of malt, coffee, and a chocolate followthrough. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this is by far the best Yeti I have had. I will compare it to a 2010 bottle I have in the fridge right now in the near future for a comparison. This one will be hard to top though...

Pretty stoked to get my hands on this. First time I have seen the COAY in the Buffalo area, we have had many Great Divide beers for some time but never this one. Pours dark as night with about one finger of mocha colored head. No visible carbonation to speak of and a small amount of light lace. The smell is somewhat vague but as it warms a bit it gets pretty interesting. BURNT dark chocolate is heavy on the nose, and I can't think of any other way to put it but it smells like weed to me. Very sure of it. Very complex scent. Tastes somewhat like it smells with a bit more hop presence and some nice hints from the pepper, adds some complexity, but once again there is a hint of marijuana in the taste as well. Strangest flavor combination I may have ever encountered in a beer. Mouthfeel is pleasant and smooth. Good amount of carbonation but the flavors leave some bitterness on the palate. Overall I am glad I got to try this but I can say I will not be revisiting. Not that it was unpleasant it was just so uniq and not what I look for in a stout. The flavor and scent of this beer is reason enough to pick it up and try it.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Roasted and chocolate malts (but very subdued), no hop/esther aromatics, I pulled a clean fresh oak aroma, but other than this, nothing stood out.

A: Pours black w/ a creamy chocolate brown head. The head is quickly dissipating, but very inviting at first pour.

F: Sweet chocolate malts upfront, no hop flavors perceived upfront, the balance is a great play between: smoky / chocolate / and coffee. Finishes with an oak / bitter hop quality.

M: The body is chewy w/ great carbonation/creamy feeling. One of the smoothes drinking beers in this style.

O:Negatives first: The aromatics are very subdued minus the fresh oak. I would have liked to see more of the chocolate/ smokyness in the aroma. Positives: The appearance and aromas are magnificent. This beer drinks smooth as silk and great mouthfeel.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

I tried this for the first time this weekend. Advice... be careful with what you drink previous to this. The blend of burnt dark chocolate and cayenne pepper tasted a bit god-awful after drinking a more traditional stout before it. But once I took a swig of water and cleansed my palate, the Yeti was much better.

Pours a deep blackish mohogany color with deep tan lacing. Deep malt, dark chocolate and scorched molasses come through with a following mild sting of cayenne. Alcohol not overwhelming

This is a good one to share as the intense flavors can be a little overpowering. I can't imagine doing the whole bomber myself.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Ive had this on cask before and really found it to be a great beer. My favorite incarnation of the Yeti so far. When I had it on cask I didnt know there was cayenne but I noted the heat. After reading the label it all makes sense now.

A- As always this beer is super black. It has a very dark, red/brown head. It doesnt stick around very long and leaves only small dots of lace.

S- Very interesting smell. Pipe tobacco, pipe resin, and marijuana (yeah, I never thought Id really write that). The pipe tobacco smell is very nice, sweet, rich, roasty and earthy. There is also lots of spice from the team of peppers and hops. So far this isnt really a chocolate bomb but Im not complaining at all.

T- Yeah, not a chocolate bomb. The chocolate is there but its main job is to play off the spice. It does so very wonderfully. The spice leaves a very nice pepper warmth as it goes down.

M- Full bodied. The best part about the feel is the spicy warmth the peppers leave. That is a really nice sensation in a stout.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Missed the Great Divide 16th anniversary party today because it's still raining! That's not gonna stop me from getting my Yeti on, no sir.

A: Pours with two full fingers of frothy cherry-brown head. This slowly dissipates to leave a beautifully thin yet full layer at the top of the glass, like a bright red sun just before it sets. Eventually this sun almost completely sets leaving only a ring around the glass. I can't see through this beer at all. Completely black with perhaps a touch of deep red. Average lacing and retention.

S: Rich coffee, oak and chocolate immediately come to the front of the nose. A bit of pine slips through in the background.

T: Roasted malt, unsweetened chocolate and just a hint of coffee are the major players here. Hints of vanilla and oak blend with a slightly bitter, hoppy pine. Finishes with a bitter chocolate flavor and the heat of cayenne. The cayenne is definitely present this year, I think, to the improvement of last years version.

M: Fairly light for a stout with plentiful carbonation. The feeling of chocolate pressed to the roof of you mouth lingers for quite some time, pleasantly. Definite heat from the cayenne makes the lips tingle but balances out the somewhat dry finish.

D: Very tasty, and that's what makes this so darn drinkable. I think the added heat to this years batch makes it less sessionable but more all together interesting. Little alcohol presence.

Well, I only wish I had an endless supply of Great Divide beers today, as I had planned, but this Yeti sure does hit the spot.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a growler into an oversized clear wine glass. Purchased from The Lodge (Hilton Head, SC) for $17.

A: Spent oil black body with large, 1/2 finger chocolate ice cream colored head with good retention and prodigious lacing.

S: Dark malts with bittersweet dark chocolate, coffee grounds dominate. Some softer earthy hoppiness also is present. The spicy cayennne is not easy to detect except for the tingle in your nostrils.

T: Both sweet and bitter dark chocolate are the biggest flavors, but others including dark malts, earthy hops, and light hot pepper sensation sneaks in there. The cayenne is much easier to taste with warming and longer drinking. I'm not sure I like the cayenne addition, but it doesn't detract from the beer.

M: Typical big Yeti feel overall with full body. Carbonation is low and aftertaste is chocolatey with hot pepper tones.

D: An excellent RIS but not an improvement over the original.

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

A - Jet black, even when held to the light. Half finger of tan head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass. Leaves a thin oily film on the edge of the glass.

S - Chocolate, vanilla, oak, coffee, spice, alcohol, and the slightest floral scent.

T - Chocolate, coffee, slight vanilla and oak character which lends some astringency. Pretty robust spiciness in the aftertaste from the cayenne.

M - Thick, full body. Pretty creamy. Dries out nicely to avoid cloyness. Spicy heat from peppers and from alcohol.

D - I'm gonna have a problem finishing the bomber. It's good, but there are definitely better Imperial Stouts out there.

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company