Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,591 | Reviews: 844
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

This Yeti like the others pours a deep dark brown/black with a thick creamy chocolate milk colored head which coats with thick sheets and curtains of lacing.

The aroma has a clean grassy hop scent with a strong background of unsweetened dark chocolate syrup.

The flavor has all the traditional notes of a big bold RIS, dripping with bitter dark semi sweet chocolate, espresso coffee and dark roasted malts and grains with nice vanilla and wood notes from the oak aging. In addition there is the mildest of bite in the aftertaste from the addition of cayenne. Additional chocolate notes from the cocoa nib additions do intensify those flavors making the dark semi sweet cocoa even more so. As this beer warms all the flavors intensify and begin to work together in a harmonious fashion and the cayenne heat smoothly builds with subsequent sips.

The mouthfeel is full and creamy smooth, perhaps a tad lighter in body than the other OA Yetis. Great Divide does manage to hit the mouthfeel on the head every time and Chocolate OA Yeti is no exception. Warming just makes the body fuller and even more creamy.

With it's increased bitter dark chocolate flavors, the mild heatfrom the cayenne and the wonderful mouthfeel this Yeti is a fine addition to the OA lineup. May not be my favorite Yeti but we are splitting hairs here, definitely recomended!

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a deep opaque sable that is just a whisker above black with a thick, persistent tan head. Rich mocha aroma is smoky and slightly sweet with a hint of toffee. Mouth-filling flavor is rich and smoky with tones of unsweet chocolate, fine coffee, molasses and toffee; it is sweet but not cloying and - WHOA! - has a little kick from the cayenne pepper that gets your attention without overwhelming the rest of the flavor. Lively, restless texture is sharp and strongly tingly. It leaves a nice chocolate and molasses finish, while the pepper nips at the tongue. Strongly recommended to stout lovers - and those who like beer that is different.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Black color, no light getting through. Poured out with medium texture, not overly carbonated or oily with an inch of a soft tan head. I smell typical imperial scents of the roasted malts but the chocolate comes through strong with a hints of the alcohol and a lumberyard.

Chocolate is detectable immediately in the taste before even swallowing. Has a little spice (as mentioned in it's description) in the finish that does add a little complexity. The alcohol keeps the mouth warm and is not totally disguised. Oak flavors seem to stay around the longest reminding me of a scotch. Awesome texture and the carbonation is just right for my preference. A bomber of this goes down without struggle, enjoyable and easy to drink. Certainly worth a try and I'd take it over a regular yeti.

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance is just about black with a fluffy two-finger mocha colored head with pretty good retention that leaves nice little bits of lacing.

Smell certainly has the chocolate in it, not intense but fairly strong. Its followed buy the same aromas of the other oak aged Yeti's. Roasted malt, vanilla coffee and a bit of dark fruit.

Taste upfront is a nice dose of chocolate, the baking kind. This is followed by nice roasted malts, oak, coffee and a bit of spiciness in there as well which I assume is the cayenne making itself known. I detect some hops in the end, but like the bottle states they are more toned down then the other versions. Overall a lovely complex flavor with the chocolate providing a nice edge.

Mouthfeel is wonderfully thick, coating the mouth quite smoothly. There is a bit of burn on the tongue on the way down. Out of all the versions this is hands down the best feeling on the palate.

Drinkablity is wonderful! Quite tasty and goes down easy for me. There is a bit of a burn to it that lingers which gives it a interesting and pleasing character. Out of all the versions of this brew I'd have to say this is the one I like the most. A very good double stout that's certainly worth a try and I will have it again!

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

GD COA yeti

4.5 dark coffee color, nice capucino head, thick pour
4 bold boozy aroma, dash of spice/pepper, some sweet malt after warming
4 dark malts, hints of roasted coffee/cocoa, nice subtle but evident pepper finish, boozy but fades upon warming
4.5 full body, low carb, nice spicy zing finish
4 nicely made, just not for me, surpassed my expectation

thanks to kstrickler for this trade experience

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours almost pitch black with two fingers of foamy tan head. Retention is very good for a big imperial stout, leaving light lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate, both dark and sweet, along with oak, vanilla, and roasted malt characteristics. Some light coffee notes come through.

T: Chocolate up front, followed by oak and vanilla and then some distinct dark fruit notes - very dark cherries. Some roastiness and coffee mingle in the background. Finishes sweet.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Could be a bit thicker and creamier.

D: Drinkable for the style, but a definite sipper.

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%

A-Pours black with a one finger mocha colored head that has average retention but leaves some sticky lacing all the way down.

S-Roasted malt, semi sweet chocolate, coffee and a touch of vanilla. Not terribly complex, but very pleasant.

T-Roasted malt, a nice milk chocolate taste that I wish was a bit more pronounced, bakers chocolate, coffee and a touch of vanilla. The cayenne is showing in the middle and finish showing a spicy kick that is much more pronounced than expected. The cayenne is a bit distracting and overpowers the other flavors as you drink, especially in the middle and finish.

M-Slightly thin for the style with a sharper carb bite than I would like. The cayenne is making my tongue tingle the way spicy food does.

D-The cayenne make this a one and done for me.

Of all the Yeti's, this one was the one I wanted to try the most since I love Chocolate Stouts. But I much prefer the other varieties over this one. Its an interesting beer and certainly not a bad one at all, but it didn't knock my socks off.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter glass. Pours a great thick black, old oil consistency. Head rises very late, but a nice finger size brown head, creamy with decent retention. Lacing is fizzy and quick sliding, so not really a factor. This stout is so thick and black in appearance...very nice!

Aroma is very nice as well. A slight amount of hop sharpness, a semi-bitter chocolate, sweet chocolate, heavy malts, roasted malts, dark sugars.

Flavor is good, but not as good as I was hoping for. In my oppinion, the Espresso Oak Aged is better. With that said, this is still a very good beer. Mouthfeel is semi-thick but with a medium body...not a ton of consistency. Carbonation is middle of the road. Flavors range from roasted coffee to bitter and sweet chocolates. Roasted malts and dark sugars. The second wave of flavor is interesting, more of a milky and creamy taste to the chocolate. Overall though, a good stout from Great Divide!

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Barley's Greenville - 5/17/2010.

Extremely dark ruby-brown in color. Milk & dark chocolate in the nose, along with a bit of the bourbon barrel as well. Creamy dark chocolate and roasty malt in flavor. Mega bitter finish. I know there is some pepper in there, but finding it hard to pick out with all the chocolate domination. Low drinkability due to the bitterness of the finish. I liked it, but it was honestly difficult to even finish the 10 oz pour I had.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bottle poured into a weyerbacher tulip.

A - Rich opaque brownish black. Minimal espresso colored head.

S - Lots of dark roasted malts and notes of oak and coffee. Only a hint of chocolate on the nose...I wouldn't have guessed it had I not known in advance that it was there.

T - Lovely rich creamy bitter dark chocolate gives way to iced coffee and finishes with a nice dry mouthful of earthy hops.

M - On the heavier side of medium bodied, with a good creaminess to it. Not oily thick like some stouts, but definitely not thin. Medium to low carbonation.

D - For 9.5% this is pretty drinkable. Alcohol is there, but not overpowering.

Overall, this is a solid stout. Not as much chocolate as I was expecting, and a hair more hops than I prefer in the style, but well worth trying.

*note: Goes REALLY well with a rocky road brownie that I grabbed after I finished reviewing.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint.

A: Black body with a half-inch of light brown foam. Quick dissipation, but excellent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, light hops and some chile spice. A little muted, but fine.

T: Some malt sweetness up front, followed by more pronounced chocolate and an enormous slow burn of spicy chile pepper. Unique in my experience, and amazing.

M: A little thinner and more carbonated than I expected, but not too bad.

D: As interesting and tasty as it is, the intense spiciness isn't exactly an aid to quaffability.

Notes: This is a great beer, but not one that I'd want to have over and over again. It's always fun to try something really different, but overall I prefer the more traditional deliciousness of the espresso and regular oak aged Yetis. Still, all of the wood aged version are huge improvements on the base beer, and I'd be happy to have another glass of the chocolate in the future - perhaps alongside some vanilla ice cream.

Cheers!

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

This epic beer deserves a more in depth review than I have time for today, but such is life.

You won't see a darker bodied beer. The head cappuccino brown. Roasty, smokey, chocolaty aromas alert the brain to impending yumminess. More roast on the palate. Very roasty. Bitter dark chocolate, and sweet milk chocolate all at the same time. Then, on the back end, the cayenne pepper sneaks in providing a smoky note to give this monster even more depth.

The mouthfeel is about as full and creamy as you can get.

I have not cracked my Barrel aged Yeti yet. With that in mind, I think this is my favorite Yeti release. That Cayenne just puts it over the top.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into my Stone IRS snifter (2010)

A - Pitch black with a big persistent dark tan head. The head is beautiful on this beer. Lots of little bubbles are running up the side of the glass. Sticky lacing rest's on the glass. What an appearance!

S - Hints of dark chocolate, maybe some vanilla and other dark malts. Maybe it is because I have read about this beer but I think I can smell a hint of the pepper. However this one really isn't all that fragrant and I can't smell the chocolate as well as I would think for a beer with the word in its name.

T - A nice roasty beer with hints of dark chocolate. Has all the flavors of a good Imperial Stout and then I get to the pepper. I thought I wouldn't be able to taste it but wow! It started as a slight tingling on my lips then worked its way to the bottom of my tongue and now to the back of my throat. This add's an interesting dynamic to this beer. I really enjoy this one.

M - Thick, full bodied beer with a fair amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - This one is really easy to drink considering the ABV and the style. I really like the uniqueness that the pepper bring's to the plate. I really enjoy this beer, I will definitely going to pick this up every year and will have to cellar a few as well.

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours rich warm black in the glass with a rocky frothy tan mass on top. Smells notably of hops and dark roasty grains up front. Nutty and earthy stout aromas, with something like corn hanging in the back.

Taste is nicely tight grain up front, peaking to bitterness through the sip. Dark toast in the middle, hoppy bite at the finish, with a warmth I wouldn't have pegged on cayenne if it wasn't on the label, nice addition though. Chocolate is notably weak (in an okay way), presenting mostly in a chalky powdery cocoa flavor, increasing in intensity as my palate numbs to the other flavors. Little evidence of oak other than adding some subtle complexity. Feel is rich and smooth, rather pleasant.

Overall tasty, but still pretty strong on hops and dry bitterness. does well if you let it breath for a bit. might age in the short term nicely, mellowing slightly. I'm kind of annoyed how much I have to drink for the flavors to develop more fully. It definitely improves after a glass, but doesn't wow up front. After a couple glasses, I really don't want much more.

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Stone RIS glass. Poured very thick and black in color with a big frothy chocolate colored head. The head had some decent retention but the lacing was outstanding. It left a full spiderweb of chocolate colored lacing all the way down the glass.

The aroma has a lot of big chocolate flavors to it with some very nice vanilla and oak tones to it. It has a little bit of a roasty malt aroma to it but it's definitely overshadowed by the chocolate and oak.

The taste is chocolaty but with a vanilla, oak and alcohol flavor cutting through it. It has a little roasted and coffee flavors but it's mostly hidden behind the chocolate and oak flavors. The finish has a lot of the chocolate showing through with a bit of spiciness that has a long lasting flavor to it.

Mouthfeel is thick with lower carbonation. Drinkability is very good, it has some great flavors to it. The oak and vanilla flavors really came through pretty well and were a welcome addition to the Yeti base. It was very chocolaty as well and one of the better chocolate labeled beers out there.

2.73/5  rDev -35.3%

Had this at a tasting held by the esteemed DVelcich. Between him and StoutFest, we had some crazy good beers. This is reviewed from notes.

This is the third in the series of five in the Yeti line we had... This is my least favorite.

Pours nice. Viscous looking black. Very browned head with respectable lacing.
Smells nice. Good chocolaty smell with roasted coffee. Not quite as strong of a nose as I was expecting, and certainly not HUGE chocolate like I would have liked, but at least no hint of soy in this one, so we're off to a decent start.

The taste isn't too bad here, but it isn't really much different then the regular oaked Yeti. It seems to be the exact same beer in terms of taste... Maybe a touch more chocolate, but not enough to call this "Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti." If anything, this should be called, "Oak Aged Yeti-- with Chocolate."
Some coffee and chocolate notes here, but nothing that really wows me.

The mouthfeel is thick and slightly gritty. Isn't bad at all, but isn't great.

Here comes the downfall--- after about 4 to 5 sips, I begin to notice a strange feeling in the back of my throat... It is an odd burning-like sensation that seems to start below my cheeks, at the angle of my lower jaw, and work its way through the very back of my mouth and then halfway down my throat. And there it sits. It doesn't move. No mater how much water or pretzels, there it is. It is honestly the feeling you get just before vomiting, that gurgled burning sensation. Just awful.

Oh man, just typing this out has reminded me of that sensation... I'm done reviewing this one.

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%

A- This beer looks perfect for the style. Almost black with a mocha colored extra frothy very sticky head.

S- lots of chocolate,roasted malts, a bit of oak and heat from the ABV. Again smell is dominated by a milk like chocolate.

T- A little dissapointed with the taste here. The chocolate was actually done perfectly, but seems to have taken a back seat to the heat and oak. I assumed the oak aging would have muted some of the sharper flavors but this brew still seems a bit unbalanced.

M- Thick, creamy, and 'chewy'. The mouthfeel is a treat in itself.

D- Drinkability was not up to par for me here. Too much heat from ABV and lots of oak are a turn off.

I think I'll grab a couple of bottles to age, hopefully some of the heat and oak will fade.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

A: pours dark malt brown on the sides and blacker in the middle

S: sweet malt, slight oak, slight chocolate, light floral hops

T: complex. malt undertones, and the cayenne creates real initial spiciness. once that quickly settles, it has a long bitter chocolate finish.

M: Spicy at first, followed by bitter. long spicy bitter finish

D: The spicy finish limits the drinkability of this one

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%

pours black with a fat finger of rich brown head. long retention. solid spotted lacing.

this one was right off the truck when i got it.

it is a tad bitter, and im hoping more chocolates and roasted malts will show up with time.

mouthfeel: leaves nothing in a good way.

drinkability: standard yeti gold.

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a nice opaque black color, with some good tan head floating on top. Aromas of chocolate, oak, roasted malt and coffee. On the palate, I get more chocolate, both milk and dark, along with oak, vanilla and a just the barest hint of crushed red pepper. This one gets a little hot on the finish, with too much cayenne. An interesting experience, but not up to the level of the original oak aged version.

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%

As a disclaimer: although I consider the imperial stout to be my favorite style of beer, I wasn't impressed with the Imperial Yeti I had on tap at the Yard House a few months ago. I decided to give this Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti a go, since I was knocked off my feet by the Barrel Aged Imperial Yeti that a friend shared with me a month ago.

While better (less hoppy) than the Imperial Yeti I had on tap, Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti wasn't that special. I let it warm to room temperature, and it's aroma/flavor did improve a bit. However, it still doesn't seem to stack up with the other imperial stouts I love (LeftHand, Boulevard, Goose Island BBC, Grand Teton...).

I even shared it with a few friends. The general consensus was that there really wasn't much chocolate flavor, despite what the label said. It was just rather bitter, and that's about it. I wouldn't really recommend this beer. I doubt I'll be buying it again, when there are so many better options in the stout category.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 7/16/2009
Poured on 4/10/2010
AAAAhhhh it exploded on my desk. I opened the cap and it erupted, now i got a sticky mouse.
It pores black as night with a dark brown head.
I get a sweet malty smell(chocolate maybe).
The taste is sweet malty and spicy.
It feels thick and a bit oily, it slides down nicely.
I liked this beer a lot ( except for the initial explosion)

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from the 650ml bottle at ~58 degrees into pint glass. Good drinking beer and nicely balanced flavors for all that is going on in the bottle. I'll get another sometime as this was my first Yeti sighting and experience. My bottle was ~10 months old which should have improved some of the bottle activity. Drinks better than I scored it.
A-Nice blackness to the liquid, pleasing foamy tan head generates a quick big head and some lace but neither do any hang time. Nice but not great
S-Nice dark pleasing aromas w/some hoppiness, maybe some burnt vanilla bourbon oak taste but very faint so maybe imagined.
T-Good Dark Taste, not sweet w/a bit of choco nibbyness, some hoppyness, but that bit of fire on the tongue & cheek from the cayenne is the bomb! A great idea well executed! All in all an evenly balanced flavor profile allowing a "I'll have another/back for 2nds" attitude. No taste of the 9.5 abv which is good but that might have been masked by the pepper.
M-Nice mouth feel but a bit thin for my stout tastes.
D-This is a nice unpretentious dark drinking beer and I think the Yeti suggestion for a crème brulee hit it just right.... but save room for that 2n'd helping of beer!

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottled 7/16/09
Appearance - Pitch black topped with a foamy, deep brown head. Splotchy lacing along the glass.
Smell - Chocolate, cayenne.
Taste - Waves of chocolate, strong supporting hop backbone, warming burst of cayenne.
Mouthfeel - Very thick and coating with a light carbonation.
Drinkability - Extremely rich and filling. The alcohol is not distracting, but the decadent nature of the beer definitely impacts it.
Overall - Decadent and luscious are very accurate descriptors; this is a great stout, but definitely one to share.

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip...

Bottled in June 09 so almost a year old at this point...

A midnight black appearance with the merest of dark browns just at the outer edge of the glass when held up to light...a surprisingly persistent head sits atop and lingers before finally fading away to a thin layer of foam... Swirling the glass leaves a thick oily residue revealing the thickness of the brew... A very imposing looking beer...

I'm immediately assaulted by a wave of dark fruits and licorice followed by a pleasant mixture of booze and dark chocolate... The cocoa nibs definitely have a prominent place here but they weren't the first thing I noticed.. The dark roasted maltiness of this is pungent and there's a surprising amount of hoppiness in this as well... Very reminiscent of the regular Yeti but somehow richer smelling... As this warms, I could swear I almost detect the cayenne as well but I can't be sure...

First sip brings a lovely wave of the cocoa mingled with a terrific base of rich deep dark roasted malts, a sharp biting hoppiness and a healthy wallop of booze... The cayenne plays a healthy role here and really mixes well with the dark chocolate aspects of the beer...the sweet spiciness of this beer is very unique and finishes strong with the cayenne creating an unusual lingering burning sensation on the palate...

Super thick and creamy with an enjoyable mouth-coating aspect... Very rich and luxurious mouthfeel...

Overall, I liked this one quite a lot... Right up there with the regular Oak Aged Yeti and miles ahead of the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti... Not overly complex but doesn't have to be... It is what it is and I like it...a real treat...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company