Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 05-30-2009

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is another revered incarnation of our legendary imperial stout. We toned down the hops a bit to allow cocoa nibs to contribute some pleasing bitterness, while vanilla notes from the oak combine with the cocoa to create an aroma and flavor akin to a gourmet chocolate bar. A dash of cayenne keeps things lively, adding just a bit of heat to the finish. Another great Yeti? Hell yes.
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter glass. Pours a great thick black, old oil consistency. Head rises very late, but a nice finger size brown head, creamy with decent retention. Lacing is fizzy and quick sliding, so not really a factor. This stout is so thick and black in appearance...very nice!

Aroma is very nice as well. A slight amount of hop sharpness, a semi-bitter chocolate, sweet chocolate, heavy malts, roasted malts, dark sugars.

Flavor is good, but not as good as I was hoping for. In my oppinion, the Espresso Oak Aged is better. With that said, this is still a very good beer. Mouthfeel is semi-thick but with a medium body...not a ton of consistency. Carbonation is middle of the road. Flavors range from roasted coffee to bitter and sweet chocolates. Roasted malts and dark sugars. The second wave of flavor is interesting, more of a milky and creamy taste to the chocolate. Overall though, a good stout from Great Divide!

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Barley's Greenville - 5/17/2010.

Extremely dark ruby-brown in color. Milk & dark chocolate in the nose, along with a bit of the bourbon barrel as well. Creamy dark chocolate and roasty malt in flavor. Mega bitter finish. I know there is some pepper in there, but finding it hard to pick out with all the chocolate domination. Low drinkability due to the bitterness of the finish. I liked it, but it was honestly difficult to even finish the 10 oz pour I had.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bottle poured into a weyerbacher tulip.

A - Rich opaque brownish black. Minimal espresso colored head.

S - Lots of dark roasted malts and notes of oak and coffee. Only a hint of chocolate on the nose...I wouldn't have guessed it had I not known in advance that it was there.

T - Lovely rich creamy bitter dark chocolate gives way to iced coffee and finishes with a nice dry mouthful of earthy hops.

M - On the heavier side of medium bodied, with a good creaminess to it. Not oily thick like some stouts, but definitely not thin. Medium to low carbonation.

D - For 9.5% this is pretty drinkable. Alcohol is there, but not overpowering.

Overall, this is a solid stout. Not as much chocolate as I was expecting, and a hair more hops than I prefer in the style, but well worth trying.

*note: Goes REALLY well with a rocky road brownie that I grabbed after I finished reviewing.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint.

A: Black body with a half-inch of light brown foam. Quick dissipation, but excellent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, light hops and some chile spice. A little muted, but fine.

T: Some malt sweetness up front, followed by more pronounced chocolate and an enormous slow burn of spicy chile pepper. Unique in my experience, and amazing.

M: A little thinner and more carbonated than I expected, but not too bad.

D: As interesting and tasty as it is, the intense spiciness isn't exactly an aid to quaffability.

Notes: This is a great beer, but not one that I'd want to have over and over again. It's always fun to try something really different, but overall I prefer the more traditional deliciousness of the espresso and regular oak aged Yetis. Still, all of the wood aged version are huge improvements on the base beer, and I'd be happy to have another glass of the chocolate in the future - perhaps alongside some vanilla ice cream.

Cheers!

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

This epic beer deserves a more in depth review than I have time for today, but such is life.

You won't see a darker bodied beer. The head cappuccino brown. Roasty, smokey, chocolaty aromas alert the brain to impending yumminess. More roast on the palate. Very roasty. Bitter dark chocolate, and sweet milk chocolate all at the same time. Then, on the back end, the cayenne pepper sneaks in providing a smoky note to give this monster even more depth.

The mouthfeel is about as full and creamy as you can get.

I have not cracked my Barrel aged Yeti yet. With that in mind, I think this is my favorite Yeti release. That Cayenne just puts it over the top.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into my Stone IRS snifter (2010)

A - Pitch black with a big persistent dark tan head. The head is beautiful on this beer. Lots of little bubbles are running up the side of the glass. Sticky lacing rest's on the glass. What an appearance!

S - Hints of dark chocolate, maybe some vanilla and other dark malts. Maybe it is because I have read about this beer but I think I can smell a hint of the pepper. However this one really isn't all that fragrant and I can't smell the chocolate as well as I would think for a beer with the word in its name.

T - A nice roasty beer with hints of dark chocolate. Has all the flavors of a good Imperial Stout and then I get to the pepper. I thought I wouldn't be able to taste it but wow! It started as a slight tingling on my lips then worked its way to the bottom of my tongue and now to the back of my throat. This add's an interesting dynamic to this beer. I really enjoy this one.

M - Thick, full bodied beer with a fair amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - This one is really easy to drink considering the ABV and the style. I really like the uniqueness that the pepper bring's to the plate. I really enjoy this beer, I will definitely going to pick this up every year and will have to cellar a few as well.

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours rich warm black in the glass with a rocky frothy tan mass on top. Smells notably of hops and dark roasty grains up front. Nutty and earthy stout aromas, with something like corn hanging in the back.

Taste is nicely tight grain up front, peaking to bitterness through the sip. Dark toast in the middle, hoppy bite at the finish, with a warmth I wouldn't have pegged on cayenne if it wasn't on the label, nice addition though. Chocolate is notably weak (in an okay way), presenting mostly in a chalky powdery cocoa flavor, increasing in intensity as my palate numbs to the other flavors. Little evidence of oak other than adding some subtle complexity. Feel is rich and smooth, rather pleasant.

Overall tasty, but still pretty strong on hops and dry bitterness. does well if you let it breath for a bit. might age in the short term nicely, mellowing slightly. I'm kind of annoyed how much I have to drink for the flavors to develop more fully. It definitely improves after a glass, but doesn't wow up front. After a couple glasses, I really don't want much more.

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Stone RIS glass. Poured very thick and black in color with a big frothy chocolate colored head. The head had some decent retention but the lacing was outstanding. It left a full spiderweb of chocolate colored lacing all the way down the glass.

The aroma has a lot of big chocolate flavors to it with some very nice vanilla and oak tones to it. It has a little bit of a roasty malt aroma to it but it's definitely overshadowed by the chocolate and oak.

The taste is chocolaty but with a vanilla, oak and alcohol flavor cutting through it. It has a little roasted and coffee flavors but it's mostly hidden behind the chocolate and oak flavors. The finish has a lot of the chocolate showing through with a bit of spiciness that has a long lasting flavor to it.

Mouthfeel is thick with lower carbonation. Drinkability is very good, it has some great flavors to it. The oak and vanilla flavors really came through pretty well and were a welcome addition to the Yeti base. It was very chocolaty as well and one of the better chocolate labeled beers out there.

2.73/5  rDev -35.3%

Had this at a tasting held by the esteemed DVelcich. Between him and StoutFest, we had some crazy good beers. This is reviewed from notes.

This is the third in the series of five in the Yeti line we had... This is my least favorite.

Pours nice. Viscous looking black. Very browned head with respectable lacing.
Smells nice. Good chocolaty smell with roasted coffee. Not quite as strong of a nose as I was expecting, and certainly not HUGE chocolate like I would have liked, but at least no hint of soy in this one, so we're off to a decent start.

The taste isn't too bad here, but it isn't really much different then the regular oaked Yeti. It seems to be the exact same beer in terms of taste... Maybe a touch more chocolate, but not enough to call this "Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti." If anything, this should be called, "Oak Aged Yeti-- with Chocolate."
Some coffee and chocolate notes here, but nothing that really wows me.

The mouthfeel is thick and slightly gritty. Isn't bad at all, but isn't great.

Here comes the downfall--- after about 4 to 5 sips, I begin to notice a strange feeling in the back of my throat... It is an odd burning-like sensation that seems to start below my cheeks, at the angle of my lower jaw, and work its way through the very back of my mouth and then halfway down my throat. And there it sits. It doesn't move. No mater how much water or pretzels, there it is. It is honestly the feeling you get just before vomiting, that gurgled burning sensation. Just awful.

Oh man, just typing this out has reminded me of that sensation... I'm done reviewing this one.

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%

A- This beer looks perfect for the style. Almost black with a mocha colored extra frothy very sticky head.

S- lots of chocolate,roasted malts, a bit of oak and heat from the ABV. Again smell is dominated by a milk like chocolate.

T- A little dissapointed with the taste here. The chocolate was actually done perfectly, but seems to have taken a back seat to the heat and oak. I assumed the oak aging would have muted some of the sharper flavors but this brew still seems a bit unbalanced.

M- Thick, creamy, and 'chewy'. The mouthfeel is a treat in itself.

D- Drinkability was not up to par for me here. Too much heat from ABV and lots of oak are a turn off.

I think I'll grab a couple of bottles to age, hopefully some of the heat and oak will fade.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

A: pours dark malt brown on the sides and blacker in the middle

S: sweet malt, slight oak, slight chocolate, light floral hops

T: complex. malt undertones, and the cayenne creates real initial spiciness. once that quickly settles, it has a long bitter chocolate finish.

M: Spicy at first, followed by bitter. long spicy bitter finish

D: The spicy finish limits the drinkability of this one

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%

pours black with a fat finger of rich brown head. long retention. solid spotted lacing.

this one was right off the truck when i got it.

it is a tad bitter, and im hoping more chocolates and roasted malts will show up with time.

mouthfeel: leaves nothing in a good way.

drinkability: standard yeti gold.

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a nice opaque black color, with some good tan head floating on top. Aromas of chocolate, oak, roasted malt and coffee. On the palate, I get more chocolate, both milk and dark, along with oak, vanilla and a just the barest hint of crushed red pepper. This one gets a little hot on the finish, with too much cayenne. An interesting experience, but not up to the level of the original oak aged version.

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%

As a disclaimer: although I consider the imperial stout to be my favorite style of beer, I wasn't impressed with the Imperial Yeti I had on tap at the Yard House a few months ago. I decided to give this Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti a go, since I was knocked off my feet by the Barrel Aged Imperial Yeti that a friend shared with me a month ago.

While better (less hoppy) than the Imperial Yeti I had on tap, Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti wasn't that special. I let it warm to room temperature, and it's aroma/flavor did improve a bit. However, it still doesn't seem to stack up with the other imperial stouts I love (LeftHand, Boulevard, Goose Island BBC, Grand Teton...).

I even shared it with a few friends. The general consensus was that there really wasn't much chocolate flavor, despite what the label said. It was just rather bitter, and that's about it. I wouldn't really recommend this beer. I doubt I'll be buying it again, when there are so many better options in the stout category.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 7/16/2009
Poured on 4/10/2010
AAAAhhhh it exploded on my desk. I opened the cap and it erupted, now i got a sticky mouse.
It pores black as night with a dark brown head.
I get a sweet malty smell(chocolate maybe).
The taste is sweet malty and spicy.
It feels thick and a bit oily, it slides down nicely.
I liked this beer a lot ( except for the initial explosion)

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from the 650ml bottle at ~58 degrees into pint glass. Good drinking beer and nicely balanced flavors for all that is going on in the bottle. I'll get another sometime as this was my first Yeti sighting and experience. My bottle was ~10 months old which should have improved some of the bottle activity. Drinks better than I scored it.
A-Nice blackness to the liquid, pleasing foamy tan head generates a quick big head and some lace but neither do any hang time. Nice but not great
S-Nice dark pleasing aromas w/some hoppiness, maybe some burnt vanilla bourbon oak taste but very faint so maybe imagined.
T-Good Dark Taste, not sweet w/a bit of choco nibbyness, some hoppyness, but that bit of fire on the tongue & cheek from the cayenne is the bomb! A great idea well executed! All in all an evenly balanced flavor profile allowing a "I'll have another/back for 2nds" attitude. No taste of the 9.5 abv which is good but that might have been masked by the pepper.
M-Nice mouth feel but a bit thin for my stout tastes.
D-This is a nice unpretentious dark drinking beer and I think the Yeti suggestion for a crème brulee hit it just right.... but save room for that 2n'd helping of beer!

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottled 7/16/09
Appearance - Pitch black topped with a foamy, deep brown head. Splotchy lacing along the glass.
Smell - Chocolate, cayenne.
Taste - Waves of chocolate, strong supporting hop backbone, warming burst of cayenne.
Mouthfeel - Very thick and coating with a light carbonation.
Drinkability - Extremely rich and filling. The alcohol is not distracting, but the decadent nature of the beer definitely impacts it.
Overall - Decadent and luscious are very accurate descriptors; this is a great stout, but definitely one to share.

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip...

Bottled in June 09 so almost a year old at this point...

A midnight black appearance with the merest of dark browns just at the outer edge of the glass when held up to light...a surprisingly persistent head sits atop and lingers before finally fading away to a thin layer of foam... Swirling the glass leaves a thick oily residue revealing the thickness of the brew... A very imposing looking beer...

I'm immediately assaulted by a wave of dark fruits and licorice followed by a pleasant mixture of booze and dark chocolate... The cocoa nibs definitely have a prominent place here but they weren't the first thing I noticed.. The dark roasted maltiness of this is pungent and there's a surprising amount of hoppiness in this as well... Very reminiscent of the regular Yeti but somehow richer smelling... As this warms, I could swear I almost detect the cayenne as well but I can't be sure...

First sip brings a lovely wave of the cocoa mingled with a terrific base of rich deep dark roasted malts, a sharp biting hoppiness and a healthy wallop of booze... The cayenne plays a healthy role here and really mixes well with the dark chocolate aspects of the beer...the sweet spiciness of this beer is very unique and finishes strong with the cayenne creating an unusual lingering burning sensation on the palate...

Super thick and creamy with an enjoyable mouth-coating aspect... Very rich and luxurious mouthfeel...

Overall, I liked this one quite a lot... Right up there with the regular Oak Aged Yeti and miles ahead of the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti... Not overly complex but doesn't have to be... It is what it is and I like it...a real treat...

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

I'm opening this bottle tonight to celebrate the start of a long weekend and to watch the debut of the MLS's Philadelphia Union.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip deep black with a huge, creamy light brown head. It drops slowly to a still-large foamy cap.

SMELL: Bittersweet chocolate like a dark chocolate brownie pairs with an assertive hop bitterness to create a nice balance. The background is what you'd expect from Yeti - a rich roastiness coupled with a bitter astringency.

TASTE: Rich, full-flavored, and fudgy until the end. Dark chocolate expectedly dominates, but a firm piny hop presence cuts it with its sticky resins. Not terribly complex, but with these two polarizing intense flavors, perhaps it doesn't need to be.

MOUTHFEEL: Thick, thick, and thick. The silky texture is one of the stars of this beer, and a lower than average carbonation certainly helps.

DRINKABILITY: Brutally heavy, but it doesn't need to be anything else. No indications of the 9.5% alcohol are present at all.

A really nice beer, but doesn't quite reach the heights of the original or oaked version. Even still, get your hands on some if you can.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

poured from a 22 bomber

A- It is a syrupy pour. It is pitch black color with an inviting brown head. Nice retention and lacing.

S- There is a lot of scents going on. A roasty, chocolate aroma right off the bat that fades into a short-lived boozy smell. An oak scent throughout as well as a subtle sweetness from the vanilla.

T- The taste is mostly dark chocolate taste enhanced by a subtler roasty coffee taste. There is a bit of bitterness there too.

M- The beer feels really smooth. A little on the light side, lighter than I would like, but satisfying nonetheless. There was a surprising spiciness on the back end. It was not until I read the label that I realized there was some cayenne added.

D- It is a unique brew. The chocolate, oak, and coffee notes all blend together for a great tasting beverage and the cayenne finishes it off making it very distinct. I would definitely have another.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. Bottled on 7/16/09, drank on 3/21/10. Got in a trade with Lunch, thanks Paul!

a - Pours a dark brown color with 2+ fingers of tan head. A little bit of carbonation evident and great retention and lacing.

s - Smells of bittersweet chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malts, coffee, and maybe a hint of alcohol. A nice mix.

t - A bittersweet chocolate taste dominates mostly. Also getting some hops, roasted malts, and hints of oak, coffee, and alcohol. Not getting any of the dark fruits in the taste that I smelled.

m - Full body and moderate carbontion. Pretty smooth. Body makes it a sipper for sure.

d - Overall I thought this was a pretty good stout. I enjoyed the chocolate/dark fruit smell quite a lot. I'm more of a fan of sweet chocolate as opposed to bittersweet chocolate, but this still taste great none the less. I would definitely try this beer again.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into Tulip.

A. A thick syrupy pour produces a 3 finger tan head. Excellent head retention. Thick lacing.

S. Smell is amazing. Chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, some alcohol. A little bit of dark fruit. Some hops. Oak, vanilla. Lots of smells going on, very complex.

T. Taste is dark chocolate. Coffee, roasted malt. Oak, vanilla. Extremely smooth. A little bitterness. Chocolate flavor is delicous, but not overpowering.

M. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Full bodied. Very smooth finish.

D. Drinkability is very high. This is a delicous beer. For chocolate lovers this might be the best Imperial Stout out there.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled July 16, 2009

Chocolate Yeti pours a very dark mahogany color. It's opaque. I'm not seeing any light or highlights at all. A dark mocha crown tops it off nicely. It's thick and fluffy. It's easily two and a half fingers deep. Retention is excellent. Lacing is relatively sticky and thick.

The nose is good. Chocolate is very prominent throughout. It smells slightly sweet, but mostly bittersweet and cocoa-esque. Light dark fruit notes are present. Oak is noted, but doesn't come through all that strong. It does, however, add a nice vanilla aroma. This bottle is about 8 months old, so hops have largely faded. There is some residual evidence nonetheless. Alcohol is blended well and isn't all that noticeable.

In typical Yeti fashion, Chocolate Yeti rocks! This is delicious. Chocolate is obviously large and in charge here. Bittersweet, cocoa flavor is abundant throughout. Oak is a nice complement and gives it a lot of complement. Vanilla is noted, but isn't all that strong. There are light dark fruit notes, and some faint, earthy hop flavors. They're pretty much gone at this point. I understand that the hops were toned down in this release (compared to other Yeti variations), but probably waited too long to experience them at their best anyway. Alcohol is surprisingly tame for a near 10% beer. It finishes a little bitter and cocoa-y.

Chocolate Yeti has a body that's on the lighter side of medium. It feels a little bigger with warming, but still feels a tad thin. Carbonation is light, and it does have a smooth feel. A little more body would still be helpful. Drinkability is very high. I'm really enjoying this bomber. The flavor is great and it goes down far too easy. I'm still shocked that this nearly 10%. It's deceptively strong.

At this point, it's readily apparent that it's difficult to screw up a beer when you're starting with Yeti. Great Divide is not lost on that point. I really like what they've done with these Yeti releases. Each one is a little different, but is strong enough to stand on its own. Personally, I think Chocolate Yeti could use a little more muscle on the nose and a little more body. That's about all I'd change. Very strong release all-around otherwise. Highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

22 oz bomber, bottle has a "bottled on" of june 2009 - so its about 9 months old.

A - jet black with half inch tan head

S - as expected, chocolate is noted in the aroma, along with coffee

T - not too sweet, not too dry. the flavors are very balanced and blended.

M - medium body, not too thick but creamy

D - had no problem with the 9.5% abv. not a sipper - but a drinker

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

My favorite Yeti and that's saying alot. I was blown away!

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy dark froth.

smell: dark heavy cocoa with some coffee.

taste: Nice chocolate flavor, good bitterness, not sweet. rich and slight chocolate roasted flavors but had a smooth rich taste. Love the pepper on the backend. it enhances the overall flavor experince of the beer.

mouthfeel: thick, creamy, good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: Yeti's are an a plus beer. This is the best of them. IMO