Hoss Rye Lager - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: rye726 on 08-05-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 945 | Reviews: 423
3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

From notes:

Pours an amber color with an off-white head, left behind some decent lacing, more than I expected.

Smell is malty and of the typical spice aroma associated with the style.

Taste is toasted bread, caramel, and dark fruits. "Oktoberfest" spices are present as well.

Solid Marzen/Oktoberfest, wouldn't say it's up there with my favorites in the style, but a solid brew overall.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

Great Divide is one of my favorite breweries in that its place in my heart was carved early in my beer drinking life. A rye beer is not a beer I drink regularly, but then again who does. Rye beer is one of the rarer varieties in my experience and so I will look forward to an experience unlike many I have had.

Upon pouring the 12 oz bottle into a belled beer glass I see the deep amber/copper beer with a modest light tan head. Lacing is nonexstant but I will admit the glass was not air dried.

Smells are the nice crisp rye notes I like in these beers, clean and slightly toasty. I detect little of the hops but there is no overt sweetness either.

Taste is tart but well balanced and clean. I notice just a hint of caramel and the toasted malt flavor I first detected in the nose. This is not an exotic tasting beer and it is not particularly hoppy, thought he inherent crispness of the rye grain makes for a cleaner beer than I expected. There is a great malt character but none of the syrupy ick that results from over malting the balance. Finish is crispy and the lingering is just a bit of roasty malt and a hint of grass.

Mouthfeel is on the high side of light, more like the German bocks than the standard American pilsners. This beer is cleaner than most beers with a similar body and taste so it is a great Summer drinker.

A final note on this review. I did not review this according to listed style. I know little of the Marzen/Oktoberfest style and figure I'd rather review this one in a vacuum.

I like this beer. Get some, and have a good Labor Day.Here's hoping you are and continue to be employed.

Slainte.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a lager-like clear dark copper, with a rich light tan head. This retains with a smooth creamy layer that leaves a nicely laced glass.

The aroma is mixed of rye with slightly less equal notes of caramel malts. A touch of spice and bready malts back them up. It's a pleasant aroma, but subdued because it is a lager.

The taste is slightly sweet initially, with a mix of bread, toffee, and light fruit. Some balancing earthy European hops mix with the spiciness of the rye to finish this with a satisfying dry ending. Rye is truly extenuated with the lager yeast, brilliant indeed.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a slightly dryish creaminess, if that makes sense. There is just enough of a light sharpness to the carbonation to keep this crisp in the mouth.

I really enjoy this beer. Great divide is really expressing themselves and stretching themselves beyond their usual boundaries of extremely strong syrupy beers and have created a great rye lager here. Search it out...

Pours a clear dark reddish amber with a medium creamy tan head that fades fast. Leaves a bit of lacing as it dies down. Smell is primarily sweet malt. Taste is hearty rich malt up front, with a pear flavored middle, and a toasty, earthy finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, low carbonation. Quite drinkable. Not your average Marzen, this is a very good beer that I would get again.

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a clear copper with a small off-white head. Has fascinating aromas that remind me of strawberry shortcake; the fruitiness is completely unexpected! The flavor profile, on the other hand, is not fruity in the least. It's almost completely comprised of austere malts: very bready, toasty, biscuity and woody flavors, with a very slight caramel sweetness. One of the breadiest beers I've tasted. A very tasty marzen that would happily buy again.

4.3/5  rDev +15%

Had this on tap first at the Bavarian lodge in lisle. The beer has a great coppery red hue with a caramel foamy head that fades to decent lacing. Being a rye beer I sometimes find them off putting. However this beer has a very smooth and creamy taste with a good balance of hops and malts. The smell is rather tasty as well. I am becoming a fast fan of great divide beers. This one is really worth checking out

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

A - pours a caramely brown with a 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly

S - there is some bready/yeasty and rye malts with some spicy floral hops

T - the bready malts make the first appearance and are then overtaken byt the spiciness from the rye. There is also caramel, nutty, toasty character throughout that serves as the backbone for the beer. Not uber complex, but delicious.

M - nice full and smooth body

D - this is a very solid beer. Perfect for sessioning throughout the night. I'll have to seek this one out again.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

The word that kept coming to me was "juicy". This is a really juicy beer. Not sweet mind you, but juicy. I get hints of red fruits like plums, cranberries, and currants if pressed to describe said juice but it's just the combination of plush, ripe flavors and the essentially crisp nature of the beer that led me to that.

As for drinkability, the cold glass of beer literally vanished before me. I'm now staring at an empty glass forcing myself to wait a minute before I go grab another, lest I set a pace that will have me passed out by 8pm.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Great Divide Hoss Rye Lager. Layered. Crisp. So they say. And we shall see...

What's with the name? Bonanaza fans up in Denver?

Lightly hazed, dark amber coloring. Slight head.

Aroma: Toasty malt, dry, bready...a little spicy, kind of doppelbock-y, definitely resembles the marzen they describe it as on the label. Good stuff.

Taste: placid entry on the palate, mild and even-keeled, delivering malty, toasty goodness. Pleasant flavor. Easy to consume. Medium bodied. Light finish.

Rye Lager. Not that crisp. Layered? Well, it ain't thin, that's true. It's good, I'll say that.
Not for me, though. You? Please, enjoy.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a pumpkin-amber with a 3/4" ivory-colored head comprised of tight bubbles that gradually reduce.

Has a barley-malt smell, with a hint of caramel malt underneath. The rye is definitely poking through on this beer's smell. Slightly sharp in its smell, it smells as if it were poured from the tap, and not the bottle.

Has a honey sweet malt taste, some straw and corn. A bit of alcohol nipping at the end, with very slight lemony-bitterness. There's also a bit of fruitiness in the middle as well, apricot and peach.

Rather smooth in presentation, there is a mild bitterness that slightly dries out the tongue.

Overall, a rather drinkable beer. While the bottle proclaims itself "crisp", I'd go more for smooth. This is the last of a six that I've consumed over the better part of a year, so while it is enjoyable, there are other, better lagers out there.

pours a clear light copper color with. Two finger head that sticks for quite some time.

big malty nose. sweet notes of caramel/toffee and other roasted malts (rye).

caramel malts come first, followed by a nice spicy quality...probably the rye. finishes nice and sweet. I was very surprised at how marzen-like this was. I was expecting a ton of rye. Love it.

Marzens are probably my favorite style of beer and I love this. Great Divide is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. Recommended.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

From bottle dated March 26 2010. Pours a nice amber, with burnt orange highlights. Not much head, decent amount of lacing.

Aromas are nice, but not overpowering. Rye is detectable, along with cherries.

The more I drink and it warms, sweet fruit flavorp emerge. But the rye comes back for a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp, a very refreshing offering!

Will seek this one out again.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

appearance: Copper with tannish head and lacing.
smell: Toasty malt. Very pleasant though not remarkable.
taste: Again, a good solid toasty malt.
mouthfeel: full and creamy.
drinkability: Quite. I want another already.
I was about to grab another 6 of GDBC Claymore but decided to try this. Glad i did.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottled on June 29, 2010. Pours a nice amber color w/ little white head and nice lacing. The aroma is bursting w/ malt and grains, very toasty. The taste matches w/ hints of caramel and toffee. Sensing some roasted chocolate w/ some sour cherries. There's a slight spiciness. Mouthfeel is nice, carbonated and smooth.. medium-bodied. This one finishes pretty dry. Drinkability isn't bad.

This beer really reminds me of Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale. The bottle mentions it being a rye lager and marzen style. Whatever you want to call it, it's unique. Nice change of pace.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
It's a clear dark orange color with a thin soapy head that recedes to a thin layer, leaves some curtaining and soapy lacing.
The nose is interesting. I get dried strawberries, peanut butter, rye bread, a hint of chocolate, some spice. This doesn't make sense, but I like it.
More odd but interesting things in the taste. Peanut butter, caramel, spiciness. Just a little sweet. As it warms up I get some really ripe dark cherry. Well balanced.
Medium bodied and a little viscous, but lighter and drier on the end. Well carbonated.
It's pretty smooth and has a clean aftertaste, I could see having a few.
I'ma have to try this one again some time, this beer crazy. But it is tasty and interesting.

Edit: I've since had it again and still get the peanut butter and dried strawberry notes, but no one else that was drinking it did, so take it for what its worth.

Served on tap at Argyle's Gastropub, Denver, CO. Poured into a 20 oz. glass.

Appearance: A brilliant amber color.

Smell: Bready and noble hops.

Taste: A rich maltiness you can expect from a Märzen, plus bread and spicy flavors. Is the latter from Tettnanger hops?

Mouthfeel: Appropriatley crisp.

Drinkability: A great session lager with an interesting flavor. I wish I'd have thought of it.

3.31/5  rDev -11.5%

Reviewed from notes; originally 8/7/10.

A-Pours a brilliant reddish amber color with an ample two finger white head that leaves behind some beautiful lacing.

S-Deep caramel and dark fruit notes with some hints of rye bread and spicy hop notes.

T-Dry, crisp malt with some sweet rye and spicy hop notes. Some toasty and dry malt on the finish.

M-Surprisingly low carbonation with medium body and a smooth mouthfeel.

D-I'd prefer a little more carbonation than what I got, especially for this style. That being said, this is a pretty original brew, but not one I'd buy again. I'm glad for the experimentation, but not the biggest fan of this one.

A: Good dark amber color. Seems right for a marzen style lager. Fizzy white head that leaves a ring around the mug with no lacing.

S: Sweet and malty. Dark fruit esters are light but present. Some earthiness.

T: Sweet malt, caramel notes dominate. Spicy rye on the finish. Little if any hop presence. Some dark fruit comes through too but less in taste than in smell.

M: Lower end of medium body with a carbonation level that isn't so high that it is spritzy but not so low as the beer stays in your mouth.

D: Pretty good and tasty crisp beer. This will be a definite summer/fall pick for me.

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

A bit hoppier than average for the marzen style, and the rye does seem to lend a touch of sharpness. Nice bright color with firm body. Moderate roasted carmel malt sweetness, promptly followed by hops bittering with the rye note ending sharp. Not a distinctive beer, but certainly worthwhile.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Fairly good example of the style but fails to stand-up to its German counterparts. The body is a little light for a Marzen but the head was a nice not-too-thin cap. Aroma is primarily biscuit-like malt with a nominal caramel character and ever-so-slight spice/earthy quality given from the hops. Flavors here are pretty standard for a Marzen with an emphasis on the malt; however, the mouthfeel is a bit too thin lacking the lingering bread notes a Marzen usually carries. The added rye probably lends to this as this one finishes noticeably dry. A very refreshing beer with enough hop character to balance out the malt focus, which makes for a solid summer brew.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint/Pilsener hybrid.

Appearance: Clear fire-orange with some white head and lacing.

Smell: Caramel, toast, cherry and very faint rye. Opposite of many beers, the smell seemed to open up more with time.

Taste: Very malty and somewhat sweet with cherry, toast and dark fruit. Ends just slightly spicy, earthy and bitter from the rye which seems to have simply taken the place of noble hops.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium smooth body, semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Mainly tastes like a slightly too sweet Marzen, with just a tinge of rye. Good malt taste but could have used more rye and/or hops.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: I poured this red-orange liquid into my favorite tasting glass; my tulip. There was a small, creamy head with some chunk, that dissipated shortly. As this is Marzen, related to the Oktoberfest, it has that orange hue that I love, but with a bit more red. A great looking beer.

Smell: Mild smelling; sweet caramel and a little bit of spice mixed with a light roast. Also a nice amount of lager yeast.

Taste: Deep and spicy, with a bit of earth. The rye is very subtle, but noticeable in a peppery way on the finish. There is a faint amount of hops, as the rye spice balances out against malt sweetness, which is mixed with the rye on the finish. Crisp up front, spice on the back.

Mouthfeel:Light and drying; the spice finishes nice and leaves you wanting another sip, similar to a bitter IPA.

Drinkability/Palitability: Medium; enjoyable and smooth, but you want something to quench your thirst after this due to its spice.

Notes: Enjoyable. I am really interested in trying more rye beers; the only other one I have sampled to date has been Saranacs Rye Pilsner, which I also enjoyed. I was hoping to try this with some corn beef and cabbage as rye bread is great with that meal.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Great Divide Hoss is a crystal clear amber lager with a dense, creamy, off-white head that thins out and leaves thick sheets of lacing on the glass. It has a spicy aroma with notes of rye, citrus, grass and maybe corinder. It's medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a crisp, dry finish that leaves the mouth a little chalky. It's pretty sweet and quite spicy. There are notes of resin, citrus, cherry, pretzels and fruitcake. The aftertaste is spicy. It's a little sweet for my taste. It wasn't a great choice for lawn mowing, but it's rich, tasty and enjoyable.

2.79/5  rDev -25.4%

pours a nice deep amber in to a tulip glass. clingy lace. small but sticky head.
smell of caramel, toasty malt, clover honey, metallic.
in the taste i get a lot of caramel and a honey type thing. taste is not bad but i prefer my marzens a bit more dry than this particular beer. to ME (just an opinion here but..) marzens should be a BIT more sessionable than this one.
mouthfeel wasn't really TOO bad but left something to be desired. too lightly carbonated.
drinkability isn't too good. it's too sweet to have more than three for me.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a reddish/orange color. A minimal white head forms, but sticks throughout. Light lace.
S: Sweet caramel malt that is lightly toasted. Simple, but enjoyable.
T: Again, lightly toasted with a sweet caramel malt flavor.
M/D: A little lighter body than I would like. Crisp carbonation. Not hard to drink. I could put a few away with ease.

Not bad, mostly sweet malt, but enjoyable. A decent American version.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hoss Rye Lager from Great Divide Brewing Company