Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Rumble IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Rumble IPARumble IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 08-07-2010

RUMBLE IPA is an American IPA with subtle nuance. Brewed with heavy handed additions of Pacific Northwest hops, this beer is gently aged on French and American oak resulting in a wonderful balance of bitterness, caramel sweetness, vanilla, and undertones of pine and citrus. Very inspiring.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rumble IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 437 | Hads: 1,555
2.16/5  rDev -43.3%

The beer was poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass, the beer was clear copper in color with a small head and some lacing. The nose had a slight citrus hint that was matched by a little oak. Holy Tannins! The beer tasted overly oaked, it was very creamy, only a slight hop presence that was overtaken by the oak, a little vanilla was blended into decent malt profile. Nice carbonation levels that were on the medium side. The smoothness from oak was very nice and gave the beer a very nice creamy texture. Overall, I was not impressed. Oak aged or barrel aged ipa/dipa's are just unappealing. I will admit that this beer had some interesting complexities in a few areas, but it had a very small hop profile. (711 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -37.8%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A clear, but dark amber and copper in color with a gorgeous, very persistent, inch-high khaki colored head. I even remarked how pretty this beer was in the glass when it was delivered to me. Leaves messy, irregular spiderwebs and lines of lace down the glass. A gorgeous, sticky IPA.

The aroma is intensely oak-forward along with sweet, sharp caramel notes, and some pine needles/sap. It doesn't resemble an IPA, as the combination of the oak and malt bill is dominant. It's simple, powerful, and not particularly pleasant, especially given the known style.

Unfortunately, the flavor is just as bad as the aroma, if not worse. This is by far the oakiest beer I've ever tasted, and the pine needle flavors and big combination of sweet malt character doesn't help. Moderate hop bitterness doesn't make this any more drinkable.

Medium bodied with crisp, high carbonation.

I couldn't drink this one. Had maybe 4 ounces before pushing it away and ordering a Sculpin. (1,014 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -32%

Appearance -- Pours polished copper, burnt orange at the heart with golden highlights anda slim sudsy head. Spiderweb-like lacing and high clarity make for a nice-looking glass. One thick tuft of head from being handsome.

Smell -- Cane juice and tropical fruit sweetness, floral and pine-like hops, and...ugh...green beans. No good

Taste -- Cane juice sweetness up front with grassy bitterness and tropical fruit, perfumey floral note and pine. Oak character is really lacking, albeit for some woody dryness toward the finish. Lingering taste of honey sweetness and green bean vegetal bitterness.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Not bad, perhaps slightly undercarbonated.

Overall -- I'm still waiting to be pleased by one of Great Divide's IPA's. While much better than Belgica, it shares my least favorite component: green bean vegetal bitterness. What little it had going for it, the green beans did it in. Not as terrible-tasting as the nose let on, but I'd take many other IPA's over this one. Perhaps you will have a better appreciation for this beer than I did.

Additional Notes - While Great Divide's bottles don't have batch codes/bottling dates, I know this bottle came from a recent shipment as a few cases had just been put onto the floor where I bought this. (1,298 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -31%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours dark reddish orange with light but creamy head. Not much aroma to speak of, maybe a little vanilla. No hop presence in the flavor or aroma. Slightly sweet, barely any oak, and no hop bitterness. Syrupy mouthfeel. This is just not well done. I love DFH Burton Baton...this comes nowhere close. The oaked IPAs have mostly just not done it for me. This one is near the bottom of the bunch for me and not sure why there's much love for it. (441 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are somewhat high given the brewery, which I'm fond of. I'm not huge on the style, though.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention considering the high ABV. Lacing is decent. Colour is a transparent translucent textbook copper. Vibrant and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. There are very few carbonation bubbles, if any.

Sm: Clean malts, caramel, moderate pine, citrus, tinges of oak, and cream. A pleasant and delightful aroma for an IPA. Very balanced and subtle. I can't wait to try it. A mild strength aroma.

T: Clean malts with some heavy toasted character and pleasant subtle caramelization. Quite sweet, with some nice graham cracker character and blatant vanilla. The oak comes through marvelously; the subtlety here is impressive. Hop character is primarily pine, though some floral character does enter in the third act. I don't know where the citrus went, but it isn't here. It's nicely balanced, though the sweetness is over the top. Built well for the style, but suffers from simplicity. I do like it.

Mf: Too smooth. It comes off artificial, even a touch syrupy. Nicely wet. Overall, it just doesn't suit the flavours; coarseness is severely needed. This is by far the worst aspect of this brew.

Dr: Drinkable but held back by its unfavorable mouthfeel. I wouldn't get it again. Hides its ABV well. Great Divide brews far better beers.

C- (1,727 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

A - Lighter amber with very thin lacey head that sticks to the glass as it goes down.

S - Light smell to my nose. I don't detect the oak, but do get some citrus pine.

T - I'm searching for the oak, but can't find it. It does have a different taste for an oaked IPA that I expect. The flavors are messy to me and leave me confused. Back end bitterness is about all I can figure out.

M - The carbonation is the first thing I get.

D - Is drinkable, but I would be grabbing for this again probably.

I was left a little disappointed with this, probably because I was expecting more from it, I enjoy other GD beers. (614 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours clear copper with a small white head that fades to a very thin layer.

Smells mostly of citrus fruits with a little vanilla oakiness creeping in.

A little unbalanced in taste. The oak dominates a bit too much. A little bit of piney resinous lingers with a good dry finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty average for the style with solid carbonation levels.

A little disappointed in this beer. I usually like oak aged stuff, but the oak dominates too much in this and it's a little bit of an unbalanced mess. (505 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%

Oh, oak aged IPAs, why do I bother with you? Yes, you were available to me for free, but the 3 beers that preceded you were Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig and Temptation. And to think that I walked away from those to try you...

Pouring a brilliant amber with a dense, off-white head, I'm struck by how excellent the retention and lacing are. The nose has a little pine but is mostly dominated by a tropical fruit like hop profile. As it warms up, I do get some vanilla and oak too, along with some caramel sweetness. The palate opens sweet with citrus and vanilla. The hops, while faded (as compared to the base beer which I assume is the very good Titan), have managed to avoid gaining a cheesey character (that I was shocked to find in the Oak Aged Yeti I drank right after). Medium in body with moerate sweetness, there's caramel, oak and vanilla. Just a touch of tannins are present as well, and the lingering character on the finish is a fruity, sweet citrus hop character. Acceptable, though not something I would seek out. I could not finish my 4oz pour. In fact, what this beer accomplished was sending me right back to the Falling Rock for two more pints of Elder. (1,170 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%

Rumble pours an interestingly red/amber hued beer; interesting for an IPA. Great thick pillowy head erupts from an aggressive pour. Creamy and inviting and of a yellowish white color, the head is the best of this beers looks. The color is frankly odd for an IPA, even an oak aged one. Leaves some lacing behind, nothing complex or intricate. Smell is exactly what you'd expect from an oak aged, hoppy beer. Sticky, resinous hop buds come out, with a faint woodsy background aroma. Surprisingly weak aromas, I need to do a lot of swirling to really pick up distinct aromas here. Otherwise, fairly straight-forward aroma; hoppier, with a touch of sugary sweetness. The taste is an intriguing burst of initial hoppiness, with flavors staying mostly in the pine range, but that quickly fades into a not-quite mellow oakiness. The aging-imparted tastes are a bit too aggressive for my taste. There is a stable malt foundation here, but the hops turn too bitter for me, and the oak aging seems to increase the hops assertiveness to almost unpleasant levels. It's not awful or undrinkable, but it is a new sensation for me and makes it a bit of a chore to drink. The mouthfeel is is decent, I feel it could use some more body to it, but I fear that would increase the power of the bitter hops and overly-oaked nature to undrinkable levels.

Overall, the hops become too sticky and bitter for me and the oak aging is overdone, in my view. This beer is a bit too aggressive and needs to be toned down, mellowed, made to be more subtle and given more balance. I like the idea and was glad to try it, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. (1,632 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

If I could hang this beer on a wall or use it in the boudoir as an air freshner, then I would have give Rumble an A. Unfortunately, at some point in time after pouring this beer into a pint glass, I had to drink it and it was just too bitter for my taste. I enjoy bitterness but dislike over-hopped beers and that's exactly where I slot Rumble.

When poured, a rich amber flows into the glass. Beautiful. Much carbonation, those bubbles heading to the surface faster than spawning Chinook Salmon. Head disappears quickly, with a white rim forming an 'O' where the beer touches glass. Wonderful aroma, malt, caramel, maybe vanilla.

First sensation upon tasting was a deep bitterness than deepened as the flavor unfolded. No sense of malt on first quaff. Second drink I picked up woodiness, malt and a bit of sweetness. The more I drank, the better it got, but the bitterness was still the overriding characteristic. Like the man said, they can't all be winners. (962 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%

A- Light brown/auburn color, literally no head retention at all. looks flat as a board.

S- Malt, and some oak. Not impressed at all

T- Malty mess of sweetness and earthy tones. Not well put together at all.

M- Nothing special here either

O- Sucks, wont order this again. The Anni is ten times better and still not that great in general. (340 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A – Poured out a nice golden caramel color. No head really to speak of at all.

S – Light aroma of hops. Piney. Vanilla sweetness.

T – I get the oak aging in this immediately and it gives it an almost burnt flavor. Much more then some other oak aged brews I have tried. Hop bitterness is there and its strong. Sweet malts try and run through as does a bit of sweetness. Pineapple?

M – Dry finish. Full bodied. Lightly carbonated.

O – Did not love this one. For me the oak aging was overdone and it took away much of the flavor. Too bitter but I know people will love this one. (645 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -24.7%

To start there is white stuff floating in my glass. Not sure whats up with that and it was an immediate turn off for this brew. Poured with very little head but did leave nice lacing down the sides of the glass. Nice subtle hop taste with a touch of citrus. Very orange centered beer we have here. i like the oak aging here though. It helps balance out the beer a lot. I can't stress how much the white stuff put me off about this beer but ill probably try it again since great divide is a good brewery. (503 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Whoaw...there is something a bit off kilter on this one...there is a weird twang. The beer pours a copper unfiltered color with thin white head that is lacing. The scent is a subtle spicey hop....that is different from others I have tasted. The taste is just weird....almost like a root beer or something..The mouthfeel is medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall....I do not like this beer...I don't know what it is....but no! (434 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

A - Clear golden orange with a fluffy one finger white head. Good retention and sticky lacing on the head.

S - Plenty of oak and subtle piney hops. Not too much going on. Slight hints of vanilla.

T - Very oaky with a lingering grassy bitterness. Oak dominates too much and clouts the hops. Hints of vanilla. Kind of off putting to be honest.

M - Medium bodied and undercarbonated. Finishes dry and boozy.

D - Too much oak flavor to warrant me having another.

I find the Titan IPA to be much better than this and I know Great Divide can make great oaked beers (i.e. Yeti). What a letdown (592 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -24.1%

A: Clear, darker orange. White head that dissipates quickly. Nothing special.

S: IPA citrus gone wrong. It smells muddled, like old unappealing fruit that's been sitting out for a while. Old oranges and slight woodiness.

T: The oak muddles the citrus that you would expect in an IPA. Instead of improving on the IPA, the oak seems to have made it worse. Oak up front, with orange peel the rest of the way. Aftertaste brings back the oak. Not appealing.

M: Moderate carbonation, but sits on the tongue after each sip.

O: I really wanted to like this beer. I had never had an oaked IPA, but I was so blown away by their oaked Yeti's that I had high hopes. Unfortunately, the oak ruined what I enjoyed about IPA's. This is one of my biggest dissapointments from Great Divide. Won't be picking this up again. (812 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bottle date: 4/13/2015

Look: Hazy deep red in color. A Finger of head sticks around nicely. Bubbly carbonation. Bunch of sediment.

Smell: Caramel up front. Vanilla. Malty as all heck. Not much hop pressence.

Taste: Mild caramel and vanilla right off the bat. Kinda boozy. Finishes with a pretty course bitterness.

Feel: Pleasant oaky dryness. Not enough body for something barrel treated. Even a bit watery. Nothing to really chew on here

Overall: Not a huge fan. I'll stick with Titan from these guys. (508 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle from Amanti Vino's Beer of the Month program. This one was bottled on June 13, 2012 and poured tonight into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Great Divde's Rumble pours an opaque copper, with just over a finger of off white foam crowning the beer. Head retention is decent, and there's a little bit of lacing, but neither really stand out. The aroma has a lot going on, which is nice, the only problem being not enough of it is coming from hops. There's the smells of caramel and vanilla and a spicy, woody oak. There's also an orange-citrus aroma, but not nearly loud enough. The flavor profile is similar. Caramel and vanilla open things, and after a surprisingly soft bitterness mid palate, I'm ready for the hops. As a bit of orange blossom and some grapefruit start to make an appearance, they're largely drowned out by woody oak flavors. The body is towards the chewier end of the spectrum for an IPA, but it works. The carbonation is just a little bit too muted. I had a hard time scoring Rumble, as I enjoyed it a bit more than the numbers would indicate. I think a barrel aged IPA is an interesting idea, and this one was certainly tasty. I just have a hard time still calling it an IPA. Call it an American Strong Ale or something, but it's going to be tough to take the time to barrel age a beer and still have it able to hang with the many readily available hop bombs put out by craft brewers. (1,412 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -22.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. An oak aged ipa, not a great idea, at least this attempt...Pour light brown, watery and clear, a nice light tan head that has great retention, light lacing...Aroma is all malt and way too sweet. A malty ipa to start (apparently) and the oak aging just enhances that. Vanilla and caramel dominant the nose, its ok in doses but too much and you get an overload of the senses...The taste carries over all the sweetness and makes it undrinkable. No oak shows. I couldn't drink more than half the bottle.

Interesting idea but dry hop the hell out of this after barrel aging and you might be on to something. (634 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottle date: 08/18/2010. 12 oz bottle at 42 degrees into a tulip.

A: It pours a mostly clear copper-red color with a small, quickly dissipating head that leaves no lace.

S: Vanilla, maple, sweet caramel, some spicy floral hops, and a bit of citrus.

T: It is sweet and mellow with notes of maple, spicy hops, and a strong caramel malt backbone.

M: It has a syrupy body and long-lingering flavors.

D: I don't particularly care for these oak-aged IPAs. They all seem to be much too sweet. (490 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

12oz bottle (Bottled on 10 Sept) into the Sam Adams glass.

A: A nice clear amber body with a thin off white head.
S: Not nearly the nose I would expect from an American IPA Not a ton of hop or oak character, but a little of both.
T: Subtle and nicely blended. Flavor disspates pretty quickly, but isn't refreshing.
M: Dencent, but forgettable. Not much of a finish.
D: Easy drinking IPA. More of an english version.

Not a bad beer, but one that might go a lot better with a meal than on it's own. Feels like it needs a complementing flavor set. (546 characters)

More like a pale ale than an IPA to me. Hops never assertive with malt sweetness owning he beginning and middle, with a slightly bitter, dry finish. The oak presence is minimal, not adding much to the flavor. From a good brewer, a very underwhelming addition. (259 characters)

Crystal clear brassy hue with a finger and a half of white head. Strong nose, you can tell right off the bat it's an oak aged beer as the aroma fills the room. Lots of vanilla and oak on the nose. Rich raisin bread, dry bread crusts, caramel and a dose of dark fruit.

Smooth and creamy. Lots going on in this beer. Rich caramel and vanilla notes on the front of the tongue with hearty breads. Followed by just the right touch of oak combined with a mix of dark fruit and subtle notes of bright citric fruits. Finishes with a clean balancing bitterness that compliments the oak nicely. Some detectable alcohol with oak, caramel and vanilla lingering in the mouth.

While this is probably my least favorite great divide beer to date, it is still a very good beer. However I just feel the oak ageing has taken a bit too much away from the IPA aspect of the beer. Still a nice sipper though. (890 characters)

I have nothing to recommend this beer to any drinker. I also have nothing to turn folks away. There were odd flavors that seemed to reflect extract or poor quality/old ingredients that left me wanting. I know the great guys at Great Divide dont take shortcuts and usually produce amazing products but this beer is the average one among outstanding brews. Will not buy this one again. Sorry guys, try again. (406 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a medium copper color with about 3/4 inch of just off-white head that had good retention and lacing.

The aroma was generally very subdued, some faint pine and floral notes from hops and just a bare touch of oakiness. On the tongue the story was pretty much the same, although the oak and hops had a bit stronger presence, this brew just didn't grab my attention.

The body was that of a typically average IPA, medium, a bit sticky, and with decent carbonation. Drinkability was OK, but without any stand out features, I didn't really find a reason to have another. Overall, a solid, workman-like brew. Not terrible, not special. Probably worth trying, unless something else grabs your attention. (734 characters)

Rumble IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company