Rumble IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 08-07-2010

Brewed with heavy handed additions of Pacific Northwest hops, this beer is gently aged on French and American oak resulting in a wonderful balance of bitterness, caramel sweetness, vanilla, and undertones of pine and citrus.
3.22/5  rDev -15.7%

I'm a huge fan of Great Divide, but I'm just not getting this beer.

It doesn't taste like an IPA at all, and I'm not sure I'm really detecting the oak it was aged in. There's some sweetness, but nothing like the other oak aged beers I've tried. The bitterness that you would expect in an IPA doesn't come until the very end, and the mid-palate is kind of empty. So, in my mind, this is a bit unbalanced. I will say, however, that my beer is either unfiltered or this is an off bottle, because there are flakes of sediment(?) floating in my glass!

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

4.89/5  rDev +28%

One of the best and most unique IPAs I have ever come across. It has been oak aged and this really helps to bring out and define the flavor and aroma. Unlike most IPAs the hops do not overwhelm, but balance everything out.

There is the traditional bitterness of an IPA, but also a hint of sweetness. It is very easy to drink and very refreshing for such a full beer.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Had on tap at New World Tavern—served into a pint glass

Appearance: orange-brown in color, hazy, 1.25 inch head, moderate carbonation

Smell: caramel, oak, and fruity hops

Taste: toffee, vanilla, a bit of nuttiness, oak--maybe a bit of whiskey with a strong citrus hop end

Mouthfeel: very sweet for an IPA with sharp bitterness at the end, moderate carbonation, medium bodied

Overall: Wow. I really enjoyed the complexity of this one. A sipper but I want several glasses of this. Not really sure how much of an IPA this reminds me of because I really only get bitterness at the end. It drinks a bit more like a strong ale with complex caramel and vanilla from the oaking. I will definitely get this again if I see it on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.4/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a hint of gold/yellow. There is a half finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and a bit malty. Reminds me of mild malt syrup. There is a vanilla and caramel note along with some very mild hops.

Taste: Mildly sweet up front with the vanilla and malt syrup notes. I can definitely pick up the wood from the barrel. The finish has a citrus peel bitterness to it.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side with aggressively tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This is another solid offering from Great Divide. The wood and the hops combine and are quite nice. I'm a big fan.

Rumble IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company