Smoked Baltic Porter - Great Divide Brewing Company

good

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Baltic Porter |  7.50% ABV

"this dark lager gets its special twist from a hefty addition of Bamberg smoked malt."

Note that Baltic Porters are often fermented with lager yeast.

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 08-07-2010)
4.5/5  rDev +21%

Fermenticusrex, Jan 03, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +3%

Picked this bottle up @ Bert's Bierhuis.
Awesome find.

Poured into my Westvleteren glass.

It's dark but not pitch black. Half of finger of tan head.

Smells of coffee, dark malts and just a hint of smoke.

Tastes of chocolate, coffee, dark malts with smoke.

Fairly light body with a medium amount of carbonation.

The smell of this one was it's strong suit. The mouthfeel it's weakpoint. While I liked drinking it with my diner (steak) I don't think this a beer that I would buy again. If you like (light) smoked beers this one could be great for you.

doopiedoopiedoo, Feb 28, 2011

KSather, Jul 01, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Bomber dated Sept 9 2010, into a Duvel tulip.

A: Nearly opaque body casts a dark ruby hue when held up to light. A firm bed of beige head slowly deflates, leaving gobs of foamy film.

S: Roasted malt, some booze, toasted brown bread, and cocoa. The smoke is present, and really blends all these different scents, playing into one, then another. Really great nose.

T: The smoked malt comes through in the test, very much reminiscent of Schlenkerla, but more subtle, round, and towards the end of the taste, like Spezial. Very toasty, pleasantly charred, and full-tasting.

M: Pretty good chew, low body carbonation, and no alcoholic heat. As porter should be.

D: Pretty high, for a smoked beer. I might suggest this to those who aren't big on in-your-face smoked beers. As it was a gift, I can't comment on the value, but with Great Divide, I'm sure it's worth the price.

wschmit, Jan 19, 2011

Softestdog, Sep 02, 2012

Jaldama, Mar 16, 2012

drwatson32, Jul 10, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

I find it interesting that in some regions of the world baltic porters are akin to dark lagers, so that makes it more interesting for me to review. It seems this style really straddles between dark lager and porter, so I'll have to judge as best as I can.

It had an appearance of porter but the carbonation behaves like dark lagers. It's oily black with light brown foaming head. The foam eventually dissipated fairly quickly.

The taste is predominately smoky and roasting. I can't really taste anything else, but I assumed this was the intention since it's clearly labeled as a smoked beer. As for the smokiness, it's up there, but it's not the strongest smoked beer I ever had. I'm glad, though, because I don't think I would be able to tolerate the beer had it been more smoky.

The mouthfeel's good. It doesn't feel overly thin that I'd expect from lagers and some porters. It does feel a bit more malty than usual. Overall, it's a decent beer, but I'd like to have more flavors being infused into this beer to balance out the smokiness.

2xHops, Sep 03, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

The bottle poured out a dark brown body, with red highlights and a one finger high light brown head. The head dissipated into a lace that just covered the top of the beer. The initial aromas were of roast, coffee malts, and burnt wood. The initial flavors were of roast, roasted coffee, and light hints of chocolate. The flavors seemed a bit watery at first but worked themselves out. The beer was medium bodied and had light to no carbonation.

Realize that this beer is more of a lager. This is not thick as you may expect for a Baltic porter. The beer label states a dark lager. This is a perfect way to describe the beer and I don't think this should be considered a pure bred Baltic. The influences are there but this is in a category of its own. Nice job Great Divide.

Mancer, Feb 14, 2011

tylerprince, Nov 28, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a nice dark brown with some reddish tint. The head is light brown and Guinnessy in it's tight foaminess.

Promised smokiness is muted, overwhelmed by some roasted malt, tootsie roll chocolate, and molasses.

There's some smoke! The palate isn't exactly a barbecue pit, but that's good, we've got some balance. The roasted malt combine with the smoke to make a nice full flavor.

Mouthfeel is okay, I might be way off base, but I felt it was a tad undercarbonated. A balanced beer. I can't decide if it's balanced because all the facets are mediocre or because they did a nice job putting the beer together.

NStLincoln, Jan 07, 2012

HomerS, Dec 22, 2012

spkissane, Jan 17, 2012

bent, Nov 05, 2012

bkbergen, Jan 15, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

RWNewhouse, Jan 20, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

A:Poured out very dark. Has a small beige head that faded pretty quickly.

S: Faint smell of smoke with sweet malt. No hop aroma

T: Sweeter beer with a dry finish. I didnt get much of a smoke taste until it started to warm up and even then it was very subdued. This was a very smooth beer, almost unnoticable hop bitterness.

M:Light bodied and I felt under carbonated.

O:I was really looking forward to this one. But it tasted a little bit thin and wasnt really all that enjoyable. I prob wouldnt purchase again.

pocwolf, Apr 05, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +18.3%

Great Divide Brewing has failed on me a few times, seeing a smoked Baltic porter got my panties in a bunch.

A- Solid Black syrupy porter, light on the edges, light head the raps around the edges of the glass.

S- Some upfront smokiness of the smoked malts. Variety of dark chocolate and roasted malts. There is a metallic almost stale/clean aluminum sent. There is also a sugary chocolate mil smell in it.

T- A lot of the smokiness that comes in the front chocolate malts float around. There is a fruity almost sour taste, like just hint of sour cherries, kind of takes away from the smoothness of the porter. Although I guess it becomes welcome changed from how smooth, silky and smooth this smokey porter is.

M- The chewy thick beer splashes the tong with a nice smoothness I think due to that smokey flavor. Little bit of carbonation helps lighten up the flavors.

O- Great Baltic porter, very smooth and I like the addition of the smokiness, This is the most impressive great divide beer I've had. Then again i'm a sucker for Porters. I can't wait to enjoy this again on a cold rainy night... or morning with a nice buttery thick whole wheat toast.

Dlish, Oct 05, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep brown, nearly black with thin off-white head. Head recedes into thin crust, not much lacing.

Smells of smoke, roasted malt, chocolate, and I what I think is peat. I'm also detecting some grassy notes as well.

Tastes of dark chocolate, along with lots of smoke and roasted malt. Smoke may be a little too much for me.

Light mouthfeel with good carbonation.

felipe2toes, Dec 14, 2011

DeSoto, Nov 18, 2011

Bitzer, Jan 07, 2012

JordanPP, Jun 14, 2012

OzmanBey, Jan 08, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +7%

Bottle into my Duvel tulip

A: Black Brown with a white tan head. Good lacing. Head quickly dissapates.

S: Chocolate, caramel and smoke. A complex combo

T: cocoa, with a smokey finish. A little roast but not quite a coffee bit. The smoke is not dominating like it can be in some smoked beers.

M A little thin for a porter. A bit watery.

O: This beer is tasty. It would be a great beer for cooking a food pairing. However its not a sipper and not a session beer.

Hershdawg, Jul 10, 2011