17th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Beer added by: notyourdadsbeer on 03-30-2011

to view more.
Ratings: 304 | Reviews: 178
3.93/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a deep, rich copper colored body beneath the rocky off-white head which is slow to dissolve leaving a dense, sticky lacing in its wake.

The aroma offers a unique blend of earthy hops, sweet caramel and Munich malt, vanilla, and wood notes. I'm sure the two years this beer has on contributes to what the senses detect.

This is quite tasty and two years after the fact the generous malty backbone of caramel and breads malts are a bit more pronounced than the earthy hops. There is a sweetness of dark fruits as well at this point and generous woodnotes and vanilla.

This is a big chewy beer with a dry woody finish and medium carbonation amidst the massive body.

This is a good wood aged DIPA with great elements of hops, malt, and wood notes all well balanced. The woody aspects do not dominate this beer which is appreciated.

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

Have loved this beer for a year. Not sure why I haven't reviewed it yet.

A - there is possibly a half finger of head. Color is an off tan with a hint of orange. Body is mostly cloudy. A funky indian red/orange in color.

S - just as I remember it. So much malt. Sweet biscuit, caramel, and brown sugar. So good.

T - I think the beer is starting to fall off. Was so much better about two months ago. This is my second bottle like this. otherwise it is just like the nose. Tons of malt, caramel, and bread.

M - spot on carbonation. Body may be a little thin but not bad.

O - still love this beer. Just my style, though from what I can tell it isn't everyone's.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Pours a cloudy amber-copper color with a half-finger of frothy off-white head. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind some lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of grapefruit and citrus hops with some pine hops, sweet caramel and biscuit malts, and some oak and booze.

T - Starts off with a mix of grapefruit, pineapple, orange, and other citrus hops with some bitterness and some sweet caramel malt. Through the middle, some pine hop comes through with some more bitterness alongside some oak, vanilla, and biscuit. The finish is a mix of sweet caramel malts and grapefruit hops with some bitterness, sweet bready malts, oak, and a touch of booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a dry and bitter finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really nicely balanced with a good hop profile and the oak is really nicely incorporated.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

This was an impulse buy for me, I hadn't seen Great Divide in this area before so I thought I would try this brew out. I was pleasantly surprised! I really liked this beer, and coming in at over 10%, it was very drinkable.
It pours a dark, cloudy amber, with a small head. It's quite malty, which is different for me to like, but was a good complex beer, and very flavorful. It reminds me of a bit weaker Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA.
Great Divide is pulling out of Michigan, so I will definitely go pick up some more of these!

3.54/5  rDev -9%

From 650 mL bomber to Duvel tulip glass

It looks pretty; amber-red with a fluffy two-inch head leaving patchy lacing all over the glass. But when held up to the light, there's a ridiculous amount of suspended yeast, like chunk-yeast. Not sure if that was intended but that's not something I expect in an IPA.

The brew has a nice toffee-candy aroma, and you can smell the depth the wood-aging provides - woody, obviously, but joined with touches of raisin and various ripe fruit. Boozy, and the hops unusually pop in at the rear of the bouquet.

The toffee malts dominate the palate, rich and sweet. There are a lot of fruity nuances for an IPA, which is odd but not necessarily cloying. The booze touches the wood aspects and reminds of spirits. But the hops don't grace the palate until the end, as in the nose, and really don't bring the expected piny-grapefruit characteristics. Finishes sweet.

The ale feels oily and syrupy. Penetrates every crevice of your palate. Not totally unexpected for a 10% brew, but without a snappy hop-bite, the ale feels a little sticky.

Not a bad brew, I'll look for this next year, but I was definitely looking for something more hoppy. I'm not a huge fan of their Hercules either, thought this one might have a crisper hop characteristic.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottled on Mar 29 2011. Hope I didn't wait too long...

Tons of suspended particles, what's up with that? This one was stored upright in my fridge. Reddish body with medium white head.

Nose is maltier than I would expect. Hops are there too.

Vanilla and smooth oak are definitely players in this one. Rich malt, with enough hops to not quite balance things out. Maybe more of a true double than usual. Kind of reminds me of Double Crooked Tree as being almost unbalanced to the malt end for a DIPA. Too sweet, but I still like it.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and syrupy. Hoppy, but not enough.

Overall is good, but not great. I like this one, but would have brewed it with more hops. A 10% DIPA deserves serious hopitude.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Bottled in March of 2011.

A. Pours a deep apple cider, with a 1 finger head that resides to a thin ring with a nice island of foam.

S. Smells of citrus, mild oak, and lots of chocolate. Very different for an IPA. Really interesting!

T. Tastes of tangy citrus, chocolate and vanilla from the barrel. Very warm chocolately finish.

M. This beer is medium bodied, highly carbonated and has a dry finish.

O. This is a really good beer. I have liked pretty much everything from Great Divide, but this is really an amazing bee! It has chocolate and vanilla flavors that are normally found in stouts, in a well bodied and sweet IPA. This is really something different from what I was expecting and would expect in a IPA. I really regret not buying more when it came out. This is truly a unique beer and I suggest anyone try it as soon as they can. I really don't know if it will get better with age, but I will be looking to find out.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on march 20 2011. Smell is of dark fruits, raisens, and malt. Very sweet. Since it has been aged on cedar I don't really feel this adds much to a DIPA. The hops need to be consumed while as fresh as possible so I never really got the point to aging an IPA what so ever. Overall I like the majority of what great devide has to offer. But I would rather drink Titan than going with the anniversary ale. Hmm.... Can't really decide. It's something special but far from great.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

After a long Saturday of doing work, this beer really hits the spot. Nothing like putting in 12 hour days during the week, and then I have to work more today. So, I broke open this bottle that I have had for a while.

The bottle was dated for March, but BA says that you can age this bottle. The website is right.

17th smells and tastes really good. You get the floral and citrus hoppiness. It is so easy to slurp down a bottle of this nectar.

By aging, there was no bite from this beer (unless it really didn't have a bite before I aged it).

The wood aging tops off the great flavor. I like the accents from the wood.

This is a very good beer. If you find a bottle, then immediately pick it up.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at BluePalms Brewhouse on 01/8/2012

A: Orange and Brown hues throughout. Very thick opacity due to the Oak aging, I suppose.

S: Decent amount of oak/toasted notes, but very average in the hop aroma department.

T: Tasted like a bitter aged scotch ale more than a DIPA. You get an initial bitterness from the hops, but it recedes quickly into a toasted aged caramel malt backbone. I suppose since it is oak-aged, it would lose some of the more floral and delicate hop flavors and aromas, but this one has a very malty presence throughout.

M: Thick and malty. It certainly is a one and done deal. I don't think I could do 2 snifters of this stuff.

O: Maybe I'm so used to the west coast style DIPA, but this had a unique nose/mouth; certainly worth trying though. I got more of an aged wood, scotch ale feel from this beer, but it is worth trying it to access the differences between this and traditional DIPAs. B-

3.89/5  rDev 0%

Note: Bottle date was March of 2011, consumed in January of 2012. Aged for 10 months.
Pours an amber brown with a fairly small off-white head.
Astringent upfront aroma leading itself to the wonderful smells of fresh cut wood. Floral notes hide underneath which rounds out the smell of this beer.
The astringency isn't nearly as present in the taste, where the floral hoppiness plays a critical role. However, the malty sweetness is in concert with the hoppiness which allows this to be a very drinkable beer. The oak helps this beer excel a little more. The taste is on par with other beers I have drank from Great Divide, nothing less and not a whole lot more.
This beer leaves the mouth still feeling wet, but the flavors do fade rather quickly so it pulls you to drink more.
I was a little afraid of what 10 months would do to this Double IPA, but for those of you who are still holding on to it... don't fret. The alcohol and astringency is really only present in the aroma and is only slightly present in the taste. It has aged great so far, and with it's high ABV, may age for some time longer.

2.15/5  rDev -44.7%

Poured into a Minneapolis Town Hall flute on 8/26/11; thanks to MbpBugeye for sharing.

Bottled March 29 2011 (5 month old oak aged DIPA? Whatever...)

Rustic, browned amber; leaning toward copper, perhaps. Thin retention; scattered strands of lace.

Oak, caramel, sweet bread, orange peel, hints of grapefruit and hints of pepper, spice and spice aromas. Easily a sweet malt bomb. Flavors of candied malts, floral hops, caramel, toasted sugars, buried citrus (muted), dry wood notes and an underlying layer of alcohol. Full bodied and rather slick with booze. Lower carbonation results in a plodding feel.

Overall impression - not really my bag; it's pretty meh for a DIPA, regardless of age.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

22oz bottle purchased as a single at Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" beige head over the cloudy reddish amber brew. Head recedes gradually, with lasting sticky lacing. Aroma is super sweet and boozy.

Taste is syrupy malty to start, piney citrus in the middle, and bitterness tempered with oak and alcohol at the close. Slight numbing aftereffect. Mouthfeel is nicely smooth, and drinkability is great for the style, maybe a bit too easy. Nice brew to celebrate with.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Beer poured from a bomber into a New Belgium globe glass since I don't have a Great Divide snifter. Beer received in the secret santa BIF from mrcalrizian. Thanks!

Beer is orange with a mild haze, a big off white head of small bubbles, lots of resin and lacing on the glass.

Sharp aroma, mildly alcoholic, woody, earthy, sweet, grinding, hoppy, pine mostly.

The oak in this beer almost acts as another hop. It is nice, sharp on the end with a dry bitterness. I don't really like oak aged IPAs but this one somehow gets it there. I might even have it again, although I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

March 30th 2011 bottling served in chalice. As I've stated in other reviews, I tend to enjoy my DIPAs in chalices because they allow me to get a better nose while I'm tasting and take nice, big sips.

A: Clear dark amber with a thick off-white head. Lots of lacing.

S: Earthy hops, lots of caramel, toffee, and vanilla.

T: A shot of vanilla and oak up front, with some floral hops after, finishing with a bit of oak again. There's a nice, soothing caramel and toffee malt undercurrent that carries the rest of the beer. There's also a bit of a bourbon-y flavor after the beer goes down.

M: Thicker side of medium. Appropriate for the flavor of the beer, I suppose.

O: I'm usually against oaking IPAs, but this one wasn't too bad. A hop-forward IPA is not good for oak aging. However, a malt-forward IPA, like this one, seems to be a better candidate. Smell was nice, taste was pretty comforting, but I still think an oak aged IPA is weird. There wasn't a lot of hops, so nothing was really clashing too much with the moderate oak flavor. Alcohol is damn well hidden for 10%.

I prefer a "normal" DIPA to something like this, but it wasn't bad by any means.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a rich burnished russet colour, clear but with a shimmer to it. Head is off-white, dissipated mostly but lace is good. Yeah, looks nice.

Smells very hoppy. Big floral notes mostly, with rosewater and juniper. Some fresh lemon notes and a hint of white pepper as well. Nice toffee malt to balance it all, as well. Good.

Taste is very pleasant IPA stylings. Plenty of malt upfront with nice English toffee flavour and a nutty edge. Hops come through quite strong on mid, floral with lots of grapefruit character as well, lemon zest and some green pepper. Finishes actually quite sweet for its hoppiness with distinct rosewater backing up. Good palate.

Not as full as I expected, but nice texture. Actually a bit of a hot tongue kiss from the boozey alcohol at the back.

Nice beer, but I can't escape the fact that it just falls neatly into the mould of 'beers I like' and there's nothing really envelope-pushing or outstanding about this example.

3.37/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a rust in color with about a two finger width white head. pretty short retention with very minimal spotty lacing.

Smell- oak,floral, vanilla, and sweet. strong smelling brew

taste- sweet and floral malt at first, but then over powering (and unbalanced) bitter hops. with mild hints of vanilla here and there with sips.

mouth feel is much dryer than expected, med bodied

overall not really a fan on this DIPA smells better than it taste.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Glass - Tulip

A - A slightly hazy amber colored brew with little visible C02. It produced a 1-2 finger head that looked pretty sticky but didn't hang around long. No lacing was left on my glass but there was a few spots here and there.

S - It smells pretty sweet right upfront, like honey and candied fruit. Lots of herbal/leafy hop notes, a bit of rind and a slight bit of fresh tangerine. I can't say that I really pick up any wood qualities, maybe slightly and I also get a bit of brown sugar. Smells like it might be a little too sweet for me.

T - Yep, it's pretty sweet. Dates, brown sugar, orange peel and sweetness hit me first. Quickly following is mildly herbal hop flavors with more candied sweetness, oak, alcohol, and moderate-high bitterness that lingers only slightly.

M - Thick, viscous, low crispness and full bodied.

O - It's good but a bit too sweet for my liking. I often don't like sweet brews of any style. I feel like I tasted this beer before at half the price, same level of sweetness/bitterness and no wood ageing. I don't know what to say about it really, the alcohol is hidden decently for 10%, it looks good, and I like the aroma. Not my kinda beer though. Worth a try if your into sweet, high alcoholic brews.

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

glass: tulip

Deep Honey color, a little cloudy. White ring atop the beer. Looks appetizing. Bready, malty goodness playing very well with a fresh resin hop aroma. Papaya, mango and sweetness dominate the nose, not to much alcohol to speak of. The slight woody smell is noticeable but only comes to mind as an afterthought.

The taste is sweet, heavy and seems to hit the 8% ABV mark rather than 10%. Once again, the hops seem mellow, fresh and juicy but the sweet malt and alcohol lend a significant amount sweetness that the bittering hops can't balance. It reminds me of an amped up version of Hop Stupid with a deeper, woody flavored twist.

It's nice but too sweet for me. I'm finding that many of Great Devide's offering seem to be on the sweeter side.

4.29/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottled on March 29, 2011. Sometimes you have to thank the beer gods for a beer like this NOT selling out at your local establishment, so you can buy it relatively cheaply and rely on someone else to age it for you. There will always be debate whether a hop-centric beer like this should be aged in the first place, but hell, it was already aged before it even got in the bottle (according to the label, and on oak chips, not in a barrel). And you know what? When was a U.S. brewer like Great Divide at its best when sticking to things like RULES and STANDARDS?

Ahem. Onwards...

Pours a hazy, nearly opaque burnt-orange, autumnal brown color. The head is a huge fluffy two fingers of cream at first, but dies to a dishsoap-y skim and crown pretty quickly.

This is my second one in a little over a week, and they both blew me away, especially in the area of aroma. Big vanilla tones float over gooey caramel, hints of oak and just a smidge of alcohol warmth. Hops are sort of threaded in and out of these other characteristics, and I'd say it was just about right to open these bottles, at least going by the smell.

The taste isn't transcendental like the smell, but it does deliver. A cool, nearly spearmint sort of breeziness is folded into a considerable oak personality. All kinds of caramel and toffee notes bring sweetness to the table. Plenty of vanilla too, which goes very well with the superbly creamy, round, slick mouthfeel. Still plenty of carbonation too, although not too much. Just right, feels like. A bitter, woody, semi-dry finish keeps the oak out front.

They could have sold this as a barleywine, as the double IPA characteristics have morphed quite a bit thanks to the oak chips and the time spent in the bottle. No matter what it's called, it's an excellent sipper, and I do mean sipper. It's probably a total headache-inducer if you'd drink it much faster. So, sip I shall...

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks to sdhomebrewer for sending this one.

Pours a nice, clear amber into a tulip, producing about half a finger of off-white head. This settles into a thin cap of lacing and leaves traces down the side of the glass.

The smell is a very nice balance of citrus hops, caramel malt sweetness, and a bit of oak.

The flavor is good, but somehow doesn't come together as well as the nose. I taste hops first, followed by a bit of malt and oak. The finish is fairly dry and bitter.

Medium bodied, with nice carbonation, the mouthfeel is good.

A nice DIPA overall, I only wish it tasted as good as it smells.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Purchased from K&L Wine Merchants in Redwood City, CA. Brought back to Australia and shared with @tobeerornottobe and @LaitueGonflable.

Pours a slightly hazed bronzed orange colour, with a very fine and persistent head of white. Some crackling large-bubbled parts to the head, but otherwise pretty good. Lace is patchy. Body is extremely full and pleasant, and the carbonation is fine. Good looking beer.

Nose is a lovely mix of vanilly oak and ripe fruity hops. Minimal sharpness--everything is smooth, rounded and oaky, but the hops do get a look in as a deep, mellow sweetness. Malt is luscious, giving a full basis for everything else. It's a gorgeous nose.

Taste is equally good, with more of the rounded vanilla characters from the oak, and plenty of hop flavour. Juicy tropical characters come through, but interestingly, there's only a light bitterness on the back, almost like the less sweet parts of the fruit. Very smooth and well integrated, and sitting very pleasantly above the malt basis--this doesn't actually lend much flavour, but it lends some body.

Lovely beer. The oak takes the edge off all the IPA sharpness, but this gives the impression it would have been a very smooth and well-balanced IPA anyway. What we get as a result is a mellow, smooth and luscious combination. Great beer.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

A cellar temperature bottle is poured into a tulip glass. This beer was bottled on March 20, 2011.

The liquid is colored ruby and orange and has an off-white foam head that settled down to a skim of foam. Swirling the beer left a foamy film on the walls of the glass and also built the head back up.

Big hop oil aromas come off of this beer. It is slightly citrusy, but also has a woodsy feel.

This beer has a good flavor—a decent balance between the hops and the oak. I taste the malt base first; it is sweet and has a good caramel flavor. Citrus hops make themselves known. They are bitter, but not as strong as the aroma lead me to believe (perhaps they have been tempered by the oak barrel aging). Oak and vanilla flavors are tasted as I swallow, but it is the hops that linger.

The beer is a little bit sticky and full bodied. Carbonation is average. There is a lot of coat left behind, full of bitter hop oils.

This is a fairly enjoyable beer. I'm glad I am able to try a bottle, but I'm not too disappointed that it is a limited release.

3.13/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark reddish amber with a layer of off white head that goes away .

Smell: Sweet caramel with some citrus and alcohol.

Taste: Hardly sweet at all. Bitter citrus peel with wood and strong alcohol. Not enough body in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Not bad. Would have liked more balance.

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

Intro: Split a 22oz. with a friend in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Dry looking with ample head, lacy is clinging and carbonation on the inside of the glass, although the head recedes quickly

Smell: Weak aroma, slightly fruity, but very hard to smell anything.

Taste: Good bitter and dry hoppy flavor, but you can taste the malt in the background which smoothes it out a bit. Also the wood aging gives it a smoother more refined taste.

Mouthfeel: Very dry and left with a resin hop bitterness as an aftertaste.

Overall: Maybe not award winning but close to my top ten. It has a good crisp taste with little to no aftertaste. I keep coming back to this beer repeatedly. I have bought several cases to ensure I always have some handy.

to view more.