Espresso Oak Aged Yeti / Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Blend - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti / Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Blend

to view more.
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
4.06/5  rDev -6%

I tried the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. I noted that I could smell something! Usually I can't, my sense of smell is weak. I picked up coffee right away (but nothing else). The beer is dark and nearly opaque, and nice coffee colored head. I can taste roasted grains, coffee, and a little bit of vanilla in there. There's a creamy feel to the beer, like they used a little lactose in it. There is a bit of a burn. This is a sipping beer, and I would not drink a lot of it in a single sitting.

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am starting to really enjoy coffee/espresso aged beers. This is definitely one of the better ones I've had next to Prairie Bomb. Great taste and flavor. Definitely get hints of coffee and vanilla throughout and I like the thicker texture. If you enjoy the coffee beers like I do then this is one for you to try.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

A - this is one hell of a beer in terms of appearance. It pours like a quart of motor oil, viscous and jet black. The thick, creamy head holds forever and the color is fantastic -- a deep brown with copper notes. A very complex looking brew.

S - Charred oak dominates the scent. Secondary to this robust feature are notes of dark roasted espresso, darkened chocolate (over 72%, I'm sure), and an abrasive wave of smoke that coats the palate. I founit was a bit much, but I liked the brew more and more the deeper I got into the bottle.

T - Of course, the barrels are the main players here. I found the smoke to linger a bit too long, and it enhances the flavor of the charred oak. At first, I thought it was a bit much, but I liked the brew more and more the deeper I got into the bottle. This is an extremely tough beer, and it'll knock your socks off if you're faint of heart.

M - Lightly carbonated and oily beneath the bubbles. This is my favorite aspect of the brew.

O - This is an abrasive, robust, in-your-face beer -- one that deserves some respect for sure. I think it is a little tough to get into, but the payoff is pretty high. This is one hell of an adventure of a beer.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampling right now on 4/8/15. Comes in a 1 pint, 6 ounce (22 ounce OR 650ml) bottle with silver foil on the top that covers the cap also. From the Great Divide Brewing Company in Denver, Colorado, their "CHOCOLATE OAK AGED YETI" contains a stronger 9.5% alcohol (ABV). Bottle on sale for $7.99 at the local Hy-Vee. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a handled-glass thumb-print stein.

Brew pours a pitch black in color, almost like motor oil. A good 4-finger foamy beige head is seen when poured slowly and finally settles down to still a good 4-5mm after 20 mins or so. Lots of sticky lacing is seen when sipped that sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of dark roasted malts and cocoa for the most part. More going on with the taste as their is a hint of black coffee as well a light hint of oak from the barrel. Lots of flavor and you don't taste the booze unlike some of these Imperial Stouts. Actually easy to drink with no harsh or bitter taste to speak of. A tasty brew overall with lots of tasty goodness. Medium+-Heavy bodied with perfect carbonation. This one is a sipper and I doubt you will drink more than one of these in a single setting. Overall, really liked it.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm quite a fan of coffee beers and this is a great example of one. Pours thick and creamy with a crazy dark chocolate colored head. Notes of oak and dark malts dominate the nose of this beer with hints of dark fruits in the background. The taste is amazing, its got a nice vanilla like quality that is subtle but really helps bring the beer together. Major flavors include caramel, coffee, chocolate, and oak. This was one of my favorite beers of the night and i will try it again if it doesn't run out before i get back there.

to view more.
Espresso Oak Aged Yeti / Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Blend from Great Divide Brewing Company