Heyday - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 03-22-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heyday Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is first review in ages. I'm taking the time for this one because I feel Great Divide is getting screwed by our ratings. Maybe it's just me, but this is possibly the best Wit I've ever had. And I truly love the style. A 79 is a massacre in my opinion. Admittingly mine is super fresh as I am a beer guy at Total Wine, but it's damn good. Maybe most reviewers don't really like the style?? I don't know, but anyway this is my honest opinion about this beer. I think it's great. Send me a sixer for defending you Great Divide - I'll take it.

A 79?
Off by a mile
It's the best
Of the style

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

This is one beer that delivers exactly what you expect. It is just as advertised.

It opens to a nice mild yeasty aroma and a yellow color and nice lace. These are perhaps just a bit too perfect. Definitely not an American style, very authentic.

The taste is a little more American - slightly over the top. It's a nice yeast balance with just a bit of the malts and hops showing through. The aftertaste is a little sweet, a very nice yeasty treat.

Overall, this is an outstanding effort from Great Divide and one worth getting over and over.

2.86/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A- Poured from the bottle into a tulip. Body is light yellow in color with the classic haziness of the style. White head forms to about a finger high and has a silky texture with decent retention. Moussy ring around the edges leaves very spotty lace.

S- Really not a ton going on here for me, usually Witbier aromas blast me away with strength but this is faint for the style. I do get some perfumy coriander spiciness and orange citrus hints. Some wheat and light sweetness.

T- Orange zest, spiciness and some honey-like sweetness up front but again lacking the strength I look for in this type of beer. Coriander, wheat bread, earthy, vanilla and slight pepper hints come to mind as well.

MF- Silky and creamy feel with high-end carbonation. The body is on the light end of the spectrum and is moderately-dry. Tiniest hint of bitterness.

The mouthfeel is probably the best part of this beer. Nothing offensive or incredibly bad here but for a Witbier it just doesn't deliver the depth and strength of flavor/aroma needed. Somewhat disappointed for the first time by GD, bring back St. Brigids. Feels watered down.

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

3.34/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chalice, color is straw, head is bright white.

Smell is light, fresh, hints of wheat and light malt, not much noticeable spice.

Taste is mostly wheat, some light toasted malt, again not much spice noted, there is more noticeable yeast flavors than in the scent.

Mouthfeel is pleasant, not too strong or overpowering, clean flavors linger nicely, with a hint of yeast flavor lingering.

Overall, a solid wit, very drinkable and refreshing.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Great Divide makes some pretty good beers, this isn't one of them.
Everything about this beer is lean and light.
Probably the palest wit I've seen to date. A medium size head sits on top of this hazy brew.
In the nose I get some wheat malts, clove and yeast.
Taste has some maltiness but not much. Spices are lean, corrinder and perhaps a little pepper.
Both flavor and taste are very lean and washed out with the beer in general being watered down.
I'll give them the effort but that recipe needs to be tweaked big time.

3.29/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a straw color reminiscent of dried hay. This beer is relatively cloudy - no visible sediment is detectable although I can't see through to the other side of the glass. The initial head is small with large bubbles that (unfortunately) doesn't last. There's just no head on this beer. Lacing is moderate.

S: The nose is primarily malty and a little funky. I definitely pick up on the wheat malt base of the beer that complements the hints of barnyard aromas nicely. Further investigation reveals a light citrus aroma - primarily lemons - that round out the nose. Overall, I'm impressed with the smell. It smells like a good, light, summer wheat beer should. No pepper or banana.

T: To state the obvious - it tastes like a wheat beer that I suspect was brewed with a Belgian yeast strain. The wheat backbone is very mild - not overpowering. This beer is also nicely hopped - you definitely get the citrus hop flavors without it overwhelming the light base. My only complaint is that this too light in flavor. I want my wheat beers to pack a little more punch.

M: I think this beer could use a touch more carbonation. It's an easy-drinker, but I think upping the carbonation by 10% or so could really liven up the brew.

O: An unoffensive, well-executed summer wheat beer. Very easy drinking - great for a hot day. I don't think this beer is winning any awards - but it's not trying to either. It's a beer that's hard not to like, but hard to rave about.

Heyday from Great Divide Brewing Company