Hop Angel Brauhaus Angel Fuel - Dock Street Brewery & Restaurant

No picture uploaded.

Dock Street Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Soonami on 03-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
oglmcdgl

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A big ole half liter mug and hop angel.

A- comes to me with a kick ass three fingers of tight tan head that rises above the glass for one of those fingers and holds for a good long time even after the first sip and leaves tons of sticky lace all over the glass. Dark brown in color with a red brown glow at the edges.

S- earthy hops and dark roasted malts co mingle wonderfully in the nose, each one holding their own without over powering the other. Hints of coffee and chocolate with some grapefruit rind.

T- complex interplay between bitter grapefruity hops and roasty malts. Coffee, bakers chocolate, dark toasted bread. There's some earth and peat with a touch of brown sugar sweetness. Really well balanced. Long bitter and roasty finish.

M- medium body with about the same in carb.

O- I had forgotten this was a black ipa and when I saw it coming my way I was a bit put off expecting a potentially muddled mess but this is a great one. The boldness of the flavors blend perfectly and stand out at the same time. Its so easy to drink yet one could spend hours picking it apart and finding every little subtle nuance. I will be having more of this, and often. Way to go Scoats. Thanks for turning around a shabby bar and bring some class to a former gem of my area.

03-29-2011 21:50:37 | More by oglmcdgl
John_M

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at the drafting room the other day.

The beer pours a fairly dark amber color with good head retention and lacing. This IPA is quite dry on the nose, as I pick up considerable white pepper, sort of a balsa/sandlewood aroma, and some dry citrus. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this dry, very lean IPA. It's pretty obvious that the alcohol is dialed way down in this beer, which I generally appreciate. However, I feel as if the brewer sacrificed some flavor in getting such a low abv., and I think the beer loses something in drinkability and mouthfeel (the beer has a pretty light, thin mouthfeel to it, and the finish is dry and pretty bitter).

Frankly, this beer reminds me of a leaner, lighter flavored version of the Victory's hop devil. While it's not bad, this just isn't a beer I can see myself coming back to any time soon.

03-13-2011 13:25:27 | More by John_M
Soonami

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a new beer for Dock Street, so I decided to give it a shot without first reading the description because I liked how it sounded. From the name I expected to get a pale hoppy German Pils, not a dark brown beer in a nonic pint. I grabbed the menu and found the beer description:

"A hybrid of two styles: German Schwarzbier and American IPA. We like to call it an Indian Black Lager - A Black IPA fermented with lager yeast. Deep and dark with a dense bone-white head, this lager has an intense aroma of resinous American hops. The flavor is all American hops upfront and finishes smooth, creamy, and bready with hints of cocoa and feshly brewed coffee."

This made more sense. The beer was mahogany with auburn highlights, definitely not black. The beer smelled clean (like a lager should) with a little veggie matter and some pine notes, but it definitely was not intense. The taste was crisp and snappy, with plenty of bitter hops but not the resinous, citrusy American hop flavors we are all used to. The dark malts contributed just a bit of roastiness but I think that most of it was just your mind playing tricks since the beer was so dark you imagine more coffee and chocolate flavors than are there. The mouthfeel was indeed creamy and the carbonation was perfect. Good solid beer, but it needed more American hop presence, the IPA part of the equation was a little lacking. Very pleasant to drink and a perfect match to a wood oven-baked Greek pizza!

03-07-2011 00:50:00 | More by Soonami
Hop Angel Brauhaus Angel Fuel from Dock Street Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.