MateVeza Organic Golden Ale - Cervecería de MateVeza

MateVeza Organic Golden AleMateVeza Organic Golden Ale

Cervecería de MateVeza visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Brewed by Butte Creek Brewing Company

(Beer added by: SethB2 on 01-14-2007)
Reviews by Enola:
3.28/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was a strange brew. It looked like unfiltered apple cider, a cloudy orange with a small head. Th smell was like a winter warmer somewhat, with spices, apples and a herbal smell. The taste was very herbal and bitter. Maybe a bit like liqourice. There was a distinct flavor, much like bitterroot. This reminded me of old timey folks who may have made a brew with whatever thay could have gatherwed up in the woods near their home. The beer was smooth however and easy to drink. There was a bitter aftertaste, but not like a hop bitterness. I could drink this again. It is different but not in a bad way.

3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

Hmm an organic ale brewed with yerba mate until recently I had never heard of yerba mate and still dont know much about it other than its caffeinated.Poured a hazed peachy yellowish color with a nice tight 1 1/2 finger sticky white head that left a nice ring around my pint glass,mild aromas I picked up some citric tones as well as some chocolate and earth odd enough maybe imparted from the yerba mate,a firm toasty note as well.Quite grainy on the palate a light shot of of citrusy west coast hop and chocolate with a bit of raw earthiness in there as well it ends quite abruptly.Hey something new and unique its not the greatest thing in the world but really its not all that bad,worth a try in my mind.

4.6/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What a wonderful beer! Many thanks to Autumnaldave for passing the beer onto me and to Kathy for holding the beer in trust for me to drink. Consumed after a bender in the woods with some of the Madison BAs.

Appearance: Cloudy tangerine. I'm already excited. I had hoped to see little green bits of mate floating around. I love it when they stuck in my teeth providing me with something to chew on during boring lectures and what not. These little bits also continue to provide small doses of matteine, a caffeine like substance that really gets me pumped and jacked and though this beer didn't have the requisite green bits, it was really cloudy. This reminded me more of Mate Royale, a refined mate sold in hippie co-ops and cut with licorice root and stevia to improve flavor. Although I much prefer to buy my mate uncut and in bulk, mate royale does the trick too. This beer is more of a mate royale kind of beer than a regular old mate beer. A thin ivory head rested briefly on the pretty tangerine brew.

Aroma: Brilliant cascade hops, candied citrus, mostly tangerine and lots of yummy mate.

Taste: Delicious mate, which for those of you who are not a sweet guacho like myself tastes like a blend of lawn clippings, old coffee grounds, and feet, is a flavor that I find enticing. This beer only adds to that flavor by incorporating wonderful fruity yeast character that blends well with the citrus fruit nose. This beer tastes great.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly bitter and aggressively carbonated but with a silky body from all of the mate matter floating around.

Drinkability: Flawless. I could drink this all night, literally, because it gets me so pumped. Mateveza is to the beer world what ninjas are to life.

After reading several of the reviews for this beer it is clear that many of the reviewers haven't had any experiences with mate. They are trying to review this beer within some kind of style limitations. That is ridiculous. This beer should be reviewed as what it is trying to be, as what its creators intended...as a mate beer. It's an excellent example of that and I have to give props to the brewers for accomplishing a unique goal. I hope that more brewers will follow suit because I can't get enough mate beer.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

An organic Pale Ale that is brewed with Cascade hops and yerba maté--a species of the holly plant that produces caffeine-like compounds.

Crackling head drops down to a thin lace with some clinging action on the glass. Nearly clear with a faint haze--most likely from a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Obvious smell of Cascade hops, with their citric and flowery aroma, then comes a unique herbal note that melds well with the malt. Moderate carbonation lends a bit of crispness. Medium-bodied. Malty and grainy with the first sip, then with each sip after, the Cascade hops extend a long-lingering citric and floral flavor; meanwhile, the yerba maté leaves an earthy tea flavor throughout. Finishes semi-sweet with an herbal flavor.

Not only is this a good Pale Ale, it's as unique in its marketing as with its employment of yerba maté. Being organic is a plus, as well. No need for a food pairing as this one seems like it wants to stand on its own.

3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

Ok, this one is really bizzare. I think it should be listed as fruit/vegetable beer rather than an APA due to the additions to it.

Poured a medium golden yelllow with a half finger of sticky white that melts to a ring of sticky lacing.

Aroma is lipton tea with a beer chaser.

Flavor is very bitter achieved from the combination of grapefruit peel hops and lipton tea with only a hint of honey. Barely mild sweet pale malts initially get immediately buried with the hops and tea.

Mouthfeel is very dry afterwards that continues to dry. Aftertaste is almost exclusively plain black tea.

Kudos to Butte for having the courage and imagination to create this beer. I'm still trying to figure out where it is and whether I like where it is going, but think I find it very refreshing. It grows on you.
---
And grows on you.
Now on my 4th bottle (no..not in a row) and I'm finding this increasingly refreshing and different.
Light...drying...PERFECT for a warm summer day.

2.48/5  rDev -24.2%

Can't claim to be a Yerba Mate expert...didn't even know what the hell it was before this was reviewed in BA magazine. Ignorant me.

The head froths up nicely but dies quickly, leaving small bits of splotchy lace in its wake. Color is a bronze/gold featuring tiny floating grains that look like some kind of spice...about the size of fine sand. I poured carefully and these still arrived. There's still a good bit of sediment at the bottom.

Aroma heavily recalls sweet iced tea...something I'm usually not fond of. Strike one. Also some light, perfume-y, earthy spice, a little like potpourri but not like an over-spiced winter warmer or anything. I guess all this is the Yerbe Mate? Would be nice of the brewery to put just a little information on the label other than "naturally caffeinated from yerba mate".

Flavor is like holding lighter strains of wheat grain in your mouth; really earthy, quite gentle, some natural sweetness seeping out. Also unfortunately reminds of iced tea, which I'm just not into, neither the real deal nor in a beer. A grassy bitterness flares up in the finish. Mouthfeel is thin and watery, and no matter what kind of beer it is, that's not acceptable. Drying happens almost immediately, but still, it's paper-thin.

This is probably great for some, but it's just not my thing. It reminds me of a decent homebrew attempt and little else. The herbal tea-like bitterness that sticks in the mouth is really off-putting, the watery feel is never wanted, and I wouldn't look forward to another. Thumbs up for going organic, and for trying something different, but this is still an unattractive concoction. Call me an arrogant bastard, but I shan't purchase this ag'in.

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Aroma: Fresh citrus and grapefruit hop aroma that masks a sweet caramel maltiness. The citrus almost has a slight tart nose. Minty with a hint of cinnamon.

Appearance: Hazy dark straw with a bright white pillowy head retention.

Flavor: Very interesting flavors that of tea bags, huge mint flavor, herbal and a slight vegetal flavor from the Yerba Mate. All is balanced with a hop bitterness that lingers a bit and finishes fairly dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium body - perfect CO2 and finishes on the dry side.

Overall Impression: Yerba Mate plant is a shrub or small tree growing up to 15 meters tall and is native to subtropical South America in Argentina, Southern Paraguay; Western Uruguay and Southern Brazil. Caffeine content varies between .3% and 1.7% of dried weight. This beer tastes similar to a Pale Ale. Well brewed beer and balanced. If your looking for a refreshing thirst quenching Pale Ale, this is not the one. Very interesting and worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Interesting beer. It's organic, which is nice. The less pesticides we put on the earth, the better the earth will treat us in return. And it's also brewed with Yerba mate, a south American species of holly. Only the leaves and stems are used, not the berries. They're steeped in hot water, yielding a somewhat bitter, vegetal, herbal, and grassy flavor that's similar to green tea but stronger. It makes sense then to use it in beer (although the vegetal characteristic is definitely not desired). It also lends some caffeine, which can vary in strength from very low to just about as strong as coffee.

It pours a slightly hazy straw gold body beneath a full head of creamy white froth that holds well and leaves some nice lacing about the glass.

The aroma is different than you might expect, and yet it doesn't quite jump out at you. It's not really bold. There are next to no hops, just the Yerba mate. It's leafy, somewhat woody like wood bark, and a bit grassy.

The flavor is mild, with the maltiness kept light and very basic. I assume that's so that the Yerba mate isn't cloaked. There may be a light touch of caramel malt in use, but it's pretty much straightforward grain.

The qualities the Yerba mate lends to the flavor are the same that are found in the aroma (leafy, woody, grassy), and it's also a bit dusty, or dirt like. It is somewhat vegetal, but it's not rough at all, and softly herbal (I'm thinking like very old dried oregano or something). I also pick up some very mild Cilantro, a bit of citrus (hops?), and even a hint of smokiness. That smokiness makes itself known in the finish, which is not particularly bitter like a beer would normally be, but more "lightly bitter" like strong brewed tea. It definitely has that kind of "cling-to-the-teeth' character, but it's light.

Although I initially found it fairly unexciting cold, as it warmed and its flavors emerged I found it more and more interesting. It very much reminded me of the outdoors with its leaf and dirt and smoke flavors, and at the same time it's actually quite delicate. I certainly wouldn't drink this at a bar, it would be completely lost, but I would enjoy another one at home. Interesting beer!

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass, the liquid is cloudy pale yellow, with good caebonation. The head is 2 fingers white and leaves some lace.

The smell is faint and light, mild hops and an odd malty base. I bit of citrus but not like we have come to enjoy.

The taste follows, underpowered white bread malty base, with a very underdone hops that comes through but does not impress.

The mouthfeel is good, The body is nice and the carbonation is good.

The drinkability is ok just not any thing to seek out again.

MK

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 650 mL bomber purchased from Liquid Solutions.

A: The pale ale is indeed a pale yellow color, quite light looking almost like a pale wheat ale. The orange-yellow is darkest in the center of the glass, looking like a concentrated apple juice.

S: The ale has a crisp cascade hop aroma, jumpy with citrus goodness. Softening up the hops is a rather unusual tea aroma (unusual in that one rarely encounters it).

T: The taste is unique to say the least. The cascade hops do their job, pepping up the taste with a citrus zest that highlights some grapefruit and citrus peel. Immediately crowding out the hops are the yerba mate flavors, strong tea notes that take on a tobacco flavor and overpower the hops. A former colleague drank yerba mate regularly and I never really understood it. I still don't, finidng the unique flavors to be ill-suited for a pale ale.

M: The yerba mate crowds out all hop flavors, creating a tea beer that is full of leafy tobacco notes. Interesting to say the least.

D: The yerba mate is the centerpiece of the beer, so it is hard to say something off the cuff like 'good except for the mate.' The mate flavors are unusual, leafy and easily able to overpower the cascade hops and malt bill. I am not aware of any other beers that feature yerba mate, so this is worth a visit if only for the uniqueness.

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Cloudy dirty orange color with a thin, bubbly white head. The aroma is a mixture of flowers and citrus, sort of herbal in a way. More flower petals in the flavor with the bitterness of the cascades and some earthy grassiness in the aftertaste. Not too much in the way of hops other than a hint of zesty citrus rind. Pretty light in body with lively, though not overdone, carbonation. Interesting beer here.

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

Intresting beer. I recieved this one about a few months back and have had it sitting in the fridge since. Decided to bust it out tonight while I cooked. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/14/2008.

The pour was all over the place on this one. A gusher at first, with a foamy head that occupied the entire glass, but then faded to nothing and left a weird orange and amber, very hazy and naked liquid, with no discernable carbonation,

The aroma was very earthy. Loaded with spices and small hints of roots and light grain. Some light peppery notes as well. The flavor though was very intresting. Hints of almost nutmeg and cinnamon like flavors, hints of ginger and other herby and root like flavors. Smooth, light and easy drinking, not terribly complex but still very nice.

Overall this one was very intresting, I am a little perked up from the yerba for sure and the flavor kind of reminded me of my vitamins at times, but I would go for this again.

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Looks like apple cider.Cloudy, Heavy sediment. Thin fizzy head.
Smells good. Citrus, herbal, earthy. Kind of smells like an herbal wheat beer.
Man this taste like green tea with lemon. Herbal, spicy, slightly smokey with a dry finish.
Medium bodied with a dry finish.
I thought this beer was really interesting and enjoyed it at first. As time wore on the novelty wore off though.

3.38/5  rDev +3.4%

From a 22fl.oz. brown bomber with a label resembling the artwork of Banana Republic...looks cool. It pours a hazy apricot orange-gold with a thick off-white frothy head.

The nose fills with sweet citrus and tea...smells refreshing.

Tasting like the smell, it starts with sweet oranges and lemon peel that transcends to a bitter tea leaf finish. Medium light body with a watery mouthfeel that finishes dry.

Easily drinkable with no detection of alcohol...an interesting, above average APA.

2.23/5  rDev -31.8%

A: Pours a light transparent and slight hazy golden color that produces a head of epic proportions. I took extra care with this pour and it still grew and grew amazingly. The retention is amazing as well, two inch cap remains with the beer the entire way thru.

S: There is no way this is a pale ale...Not that its bad, but it is not a pale ale...Herbed/Spiced beer would be more suiting. The nose smells exactly like Bengay. Minty/spearmint are the notes. I'm not quite sure what yerba smells like, but I'm assuming this beer resembles it. Interesting to say the least. Also, the nose resembles a rose. This is definitely the most interesting nose I've come across. Apparently cascade hops are included, but the spice of this plant really mask it.

T: So it is spicier than I assumed, cascade hops give it a nice bitterness, but its pretty overwhelming.

MF/D: High carbonation, light in body, long spicy finish.

I don't know what to think of this beer. Very interesting but I'm not sure if I will revisit this one.

Notes: I really keep an opened mind when I drink/review beer and I respect the fact that people like yerba, but A) this is not a pale ale...no way no how. B) It is extremely overwhelming for me. I had to drain it, the first drain pour ever from me!

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tall frothy white head on the pour. Clear golden hue in appearance, with small amounts of lacing as the glass empties.

Floral, light herbal aroma. Earthy, somewhat nutty. The malt is faint with some grainy husks.

Twiggy, earthy flavour, if nothing else the yerba mate most certainly shines through. However as a result of that it comes across as pretty one-dimensional in the flavour department, just the undenable twang of yerba mate. Earthy, twiggy aftertaste, very herbal and dry.

Mouthfeel is pretty decent, smooth and medium-bodied. I do enjoy my tea, leaf or herbal, along with the occassional cup of yerba mate, but I can't say I find this cross-over blending with ale a very palatable combination, nor a really desirable one. Credit for the experiment however.

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a light fluffy white head, dissipates quickly. LIght caremel color, very clear. Mild wet cider nose. Rich, and warming. Subtle chalky textures, characteristically herbal and cinnamon-y. Medium light body, quite drinkable and well fomed to style.

Cloudy orange colored beer with a skimpy white head.

The smell is sweet and very floral with a surprisingly strong rose petal aroma. There is a bit of a bitter aroma here like bitter orange or lime oil. Little bit of pine and grapefruit aroma but it is well hidden under all the flowers.

The taste begins quite stoutly bitter with an odd bitter aftertaste of something that is not hops. A little smoky and spicy there is a strong astringency at work here. There is a harsh bitter aftertaste to this that lasts quite a long time. Weirder tastes like leather, wood and ashes. Grass, cooked cabbage, cigarette butts, can't say this think lacks flavors; and it reminds you that it isn't always a good thing.

The mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkable...well if you say so. Not something I will likely drink again unless this gives me super powers or makes me rich. Just what the F is Yerba Mate anyway? Google says it is a shrub from South America with effects like caffeine, guess they don't do Coffee Stout down there. A unique beer but not a good one.

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Picked one of these up at San Roque Market in Santa Barbara.

A - Healthy, viberant golden body with a medium head that disappears shortly.
S - Little bit of honey and tea.
T - Tea chalkiness. Undefined spiciness. Mild hop bittering. The first couple sips jar the tongue, but then it settles down to a lovely smooth overall flavor.
M - Medium mouthfeel. The flavor affects most all of the tongue on some level. Buzzy action on the sides of the tongue.
D - Solidly drinkable!

3.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 Oz bomber ,from Lifesource Organic Grocery,Salem. Dark golden almost amber colour, good sized frothy off white head. Subdued herbal aromas, some maltiness Taste is at first just a regular malty amber ale, then the yerba mate kicks in near the end, tangy, herbal,dry finish. Good mouthfeel. I started off not likeing this at all, but it grew on me as I drank through the bomber. Unusual and not bad.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

2.53/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Pours a lightly hazed pale straw, with a beastly head that leaves surprisingly little lacing on the glass. The nose has an overriding scent of tea leaves, along with a strange hopped spiciness. Intriguing, if nothing else. Like most cases of intrigue, though, this tale ends in pain when the tasting gets underway. This taste is kinda hard for me to describe, but I'll give it my best shot: Starts out with a bitter tea flavor, followed immediately by a hint of herb (like pepper and basil, almost) and a rush of carbonation that erases most of the flavor from the tongue, though a faint bitterness remains. The carbonation makes the body overly light and disallows any true oral appreciation. Combine that with the strange, off-putting flavor and this brew, to me, doesn't come out as all that drinkable.

2.15/5  rDev -34.3%

Plesant looking, dark Apricot color. Headless. Little to be excited about so far other than the yerba mate factor, a tea that I heard about way back in high school. Said to be the highest caffeen content in the tea world, seems like a weird place to start if adding odd herbs to comercial homebrew. Why not Earl Grey or Green Tea?

Smells pretty good. Very sweet, and tea like. Astringent. Un A-hop-agenic?

Wow. Tastes like some one made beer out of a strong batch of yerba mate tea. Sharp bitterness of the tea isn't translating well as an alternative to hops.

I suggest buying the tea on it's own. It's better that way.

Too much like tea, it lacks the punch of drinking a $5 beer.
Has an un appealing menthol effect on my tongue.

It's organic which is a big plus, but taste rules.
I'm not sure what I'd suggest to pair with it.
Spicy Grilled Beef? Spicy Pork Roast?

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

pours a clear yellow with an orange tint, thin white head.

smell of spice, some white pepper, light orange peel, herbs.

taste is watery, spice, slight bitterness, dandelion, some citrus, mild hops, leaves the mouth dry with a slight bitter kick.

not bad for an herb brew.

3.5/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle- color of hazy golden , with a decent eggshell colored head – complex nose of herbs , pepper , hops , citrus (lemon) , tea , nutmeg , and honey– taste of bitter hops , teasih quality , earthy , and mild lime - body is watery , and with low to medium carbonation – aftertaste of lemon , bitter , dry , herbs , and dirty

MateVeza Organic Golden Ale from Cervecería de MateVeza