MateVeza Organic Golden Ale - Cervecería de MateVeza

MateVeza Organic Golden AleMateVeza Organic Golden Ale

Cervecería de MateVeza visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Brewed by Butte Creek Brewing Company

(Beer added by: SethB2 on 01-14-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of MateVeza Organic Golden Ale Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What a wonderful beer! Many thanks to Autumnaldave for passing the beer onto me and to Kathy for holding the beer in trust for me to drink. Consumed after a bender in the woods with some of the Madison BAs.

Appearance: Cloudy tangerine. I'm already excited. I had hoped to see little green bits of mate floating around. I love it when they stuck in my teeth providing me with something to chew on during boring lectures and what not. These little bits also continue to provide small doses of matteine, a caffeine like substance that really gets me pumped and jacked and though this beer didn't have the requisite green bits, it was really cloudy. This reminded me more of Mate Royale, a refined mate sold in hippie co-ops and cut with licorice root and stevia to improve flavor. Although I much prefer to buy my mate uncut and in bulk, mate royale does the trick too. This beer is more of a mate royale kind of beer than a regular old mate beer. A thin ivory head rested briefly on the pretty tangerine brew.

Aroma: Brilliant cascade hops, candied citrus, mostly tangerine and lots of yummy mate.

Taste: Delicious mate, which for those of you who are not a sweet guacho like myself tastes like a blend of lawn clippings, old coffee grounds, and feet, is a flavor that I find enticing. This beer only adds to that flavor by incorporating wonderful fruity yeast character that blends well with the citrus fruit nose. This beer tastes great.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly bitter and aggressively carbonated but with a silky body from all of the mate matter floating around.

Drinkability: Flawless. I could drink this all night, literally, because it gets me so pumped. Mateveza is to the beer world what ninjas are to life.

After reading several of the reviews for this beer it is clear that many of the reviewers haven't had any experiences with mate. They are trying to review this beer within some kind of style limitations. That is ridiculous. This beer should be reviewed as what it is trying to be, as what its creators intended...as a mate beer. It's an excellent example of that and I have to give props to the brewers for accomplishing a unique goal. I hope that more brewers will follow suit because I can't get enough mate beer.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

An organic Pale Ale that is brewed with Cascade hops and yerba maté--a species of the holly plant that produces caffeine-like compounds.

Crackling head drops down to a thin lace with some clinging action on the glass. Nearly clear with a faint haze--most likely from a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Obvious smell of Cascade hops, with their citric and flowery aroma, then comes a unique herbal note that melds well with the malt. Moderate carbonation lends a bit of crispness. Medium-bodied. Malty and grainy with the first sip, then with each sip after, the Cascade hops extend a long-lingering citric and floral flavor; meanwhile, the yerba maté leaves an earthy tea flavor throughout. Finishes semi-sweet with an herbal flavor.

Not only is this a good Pale Ale, it's as unique in its marketing as with its employment of yerba maté. Being organic is a plus, as well. No need for a food pairing as this one seems like it wants to stand on its own.

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a light fluffy white head, dissipates quickly. LIght caremel color, very clear. Mild wet cider nose. Rich, and warming. Subtle chalky textures, characteristically herbal and cinnamon-y. Medium light body, quite drinkable and well fomed to style.

3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

Ok, this one is really bizzare. I think it should be listed as fruit/vegetable beer rather than an APA due to the additions to it.

Poured a medium golden yelllow with a half finger of sticky white that melts to a ring of sticky lacing.

Aroma is lipton tea with a beer chaser.

Flavor is very bitter achieved from the combination of grapefruit peel hops and lipton tea with only a hint of honey. Barely mild sweet pale malts initially get immediately buried with the hops and tea.

Mouthfeel is very dry afterwards that continues to dry. Aftertaste is almost exclusively plain black tea.

Kudos to Butte for having the courage and imagination to create this beer. I'm still trying to figure out where it is and whether I like where it is going, but think I find it very refreshing. It grows on you.
---
And grows on you.
Now on my 4th bottle (no..not in a row) and I'm finding this increasingly refreshing and different.
Light...drying...PERFECT for a warm summer day.

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Picked this up at Peace Street Market in Raleigh...must've been a new arrival.

Poured a bomber into a pint glass, producing a decent head, a golden amber color and not much else. Aroma is laced with notes of organic tobacco, tea bags, grapes, and fresh cut grass.

Taste is fairly unique (I'm surprised this is considered an american pale) with a herbal green tea flavor, some coffee notes...must be the yerba mate`. Mouthfeel is equally as unique, it's crisp and smooth with a nice organic bitterness on the finish. Overall, this is quite a complex & intriguing brew, but it tends to overwhelm the senses, thus limiting its drinkability.

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured into a large wine glass a nice pale ale gold. Head was OK.

Smell let me know this is not your ordinary pale ale - instead of a hoppy bouquet, I was met with a just a little floral hop, and some tea-like wet earth notes.

Taste - you all are underrating this one. Yes, mate is very noticeable in this beer. That dull, slightly bitter earth taste you get? Yup, that's mate. I would at least try some yerba mate "tea" before you buy this beer, so you know what you're getting into. It seems wrong to denigrate this beer for being exactly what it purports to be. Pale ale malts are there, providing a solid counterpoint to the mate...and I don't think hops are completely absent here, as I do detect a little hop twang up front and a touch of smoke. When I think yerba mate, I think "earthy," and this is definitely a gritty, earthy beer.

Carbonation was nice and sharp like a good pale ale. Plus, I think the mate does a very good job of drying this out. I like it.

Drinkability - no problems finishing the bomber, but it helps to be a fan of yerba mate. I can't stress enough - before you buy this beer, try some yerba mate on its own to see if you even like it....many don't. It's very different. To me, mate comes across as a hybrid of bitter roasted coffee and fragrant tea. If you don't like it, I see no point in beating this beer down.

This should pair well with a wide variety of foods. As for the supposed caffeine kick others have noted, I wouldn't look for a Red Bull-type caffeine hit here. Yerba mate is a natural stimulant, but after finishing this bomber, I'm feeling the alcohol more than I feel any kind of stimulant...make no mistake, this is a real beer, not some B-to-the-E type gimmick. Overall, while I realize this may not be everyone's thing, I think the brewers have done a really good job with this.

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Interesting beer. It's organic, which is nice. The less pesticides we put on the earth, the better the earth will treat us in return. And it's also brewed with Yerba mate, a south American species of holly. Only the leaves and stems are used, not the berries. They're steeped in hot water, yielding a somewhat bitter, vegetal, herbal, and grassy flavor that's similar to green tea but stronger. It makes sense then to use it in beer (although the vegetal characteristic is definitely not desired). It also lends some caffeine, which can vary in strength from very low to just about as strong as coffee.

It pours a slightly hazy straw gold body beneath a full head of creamy white froth that holds well and leaves some nice lacing about the glass.

The aroma is different than you might expect, and yet it doesn't quite jump out at you. It's not really bold. There are next to no hops, just the Yerba mate. It's leafy, somewhat woody like wood bark, and a bit grassy.

The flavor is mild, with the maltiness kept light and very basic. I assume that's so that the Yerba mate isn't cloaked. There may be a light touch of caramel malt in use, but it's pretty much straightforward grain.

The qualities the Yerba mate lends to the flavor are the same that are found in the aroma (leafy, woody, grassy), and it's also a bit dusty, or dirt like. It is somewhat vegetal, but it's not rough at all, and softly herbal (I'm thinking like very old dried oregano or something). I also pick up some very mild Cilantro, a bit of citrus (hops?), and even a hint of smokiness. That smokiness makes itself known in the finish, which is not particularly bitter like a beer would normally be, but more "lightly bitter" like strong brewed tea. It definitely has that kind of "cling-to-the-teeth' character, but it's light.

Although I initially found it fairly unexciting cold, as it warmed and its flavors emerged I found it more and more interesting. It very much reminded me of the outdoors with its leaf and dirt and smoke flavors, and at the same time it's actually quite delicate. I certainly wouldn't drink this at a bar, it would be completely lost, but I would enjoy another one at home. Interesting beer!

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Picked one of these up at San Roque Market in Santa Barbara.

A - Healthy, viberant golden body with a medium head that disappears shortly.
S - Little bit of honey and tea.
T - Tea chalkiness. Undefined spiciness. Mild hop bittering. The first couple sips jar the tongue, but then it settles down to a lovely smooth overall flavor.
M - Medium mouthfeel. The flavor affects most all of the tongue on some level. Buzzy action on the sides of the tongue.
D - Solidly drinkable!

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

From the 22 oz capped bomber with no visible date, the cap comes off with a vigorous pop and hiss. Into the Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!) it’s quickly evident that a careful pour is in order. Hugely carbonated, even the gentlest pour yields 90% suds to 10% liquid. After a bit of careful pouring and a bit of settling, I’m left with a hazed pale yellow-orange liquid beneath two fingers of pillow white foam. Good retention and lots of clumpy lacing along the glass. Nose is soapy and bready with a hint of spicy hops. Also there’s an underlying fruity scent, something exotic and citric, like perhaps kiwi or mango. In the mouth, it’s a whole different story. Distinctly smoky dry notes up front mellowing and sweetening into a sweet-sour fruit flavor with notes of tea. Smooth in the mouth, surprisingly not overcarbonated, but well balanced. Drinkability is actually pretty good. The sour-sweet flavor is ultimately tasty and refreshing.

Overall: Now this is the kind of “specialty” beer I like. It’s got a very distinct flavor and character without going overboard. Balanced and enjoyable. Well recommended.

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

Intresting beer. I recieved this one about a few months back and have had it sitting in the fridge since. Decided to bust it out tonight while I cooked. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/14/2008.

The pour was all over the place on this one. A gusher at first, with a foamy head that occupied the entire glass, but then faded to nothing and left a weird orange and amber, very hazy and naked liquid, with no discernable carbonation,

The aroma was very earthy. Loaded with spices and small hints of roots and light grain. Some light peppery notes as well. The flavor though was very intresting. Hints of almost nutmeg and cinnamon like flavors, hints of ginger and other herby and root like flavors. Smooth, light and easy drinking, not terribly complex but still very nice.

Overall this one was very intresting, I am a little perked up from the yerba for sure and the flavor kind of reminded me of my vitamins at times, but I would go for this again.

3.78/5  rDev +15.6%

I purchased this beer to see what a yerba mate like beer would be and was somewhat disappointed that it didn't taste more like mate.

This beer pours opaque, not cloudy, with a slightly off white head that dissipates in perhaps 30 seconds to a minute. The color reminds me of a blonde with a relatively high yeast load in it. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as we don't know what to really expect of a mate beer.

The smell is lightly fruity with some light malt notes and very little tea like aspects. Pretty light all in all and not too overpowering.

I taste mostly the malt used and really don't taste the "yerba mate" used, but that could just be a really good blend of the two. I do like the taste as it isn't overpowering and I feel I could have two 22's with no palate fatigue.

This brew is slightly viscous, just ever so slightly. It really belies the fact that it is kind of a lighter beer.

Relatively drinkable. I would like to know approximately how much caffeine is in a 22oz serving and some other facts about the beer, but the bottle is very short on info other than to say that it is brewed in Chico and its organic. I wonder how much yerba mate they have to include to say it is brewed with the stuff.... a teaspoon/barrel? Oh well, it is a decent beer anyway and I look forward to more in the future.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

Tried this beer at the 2007 NAOBF in Portland, Oregon (on-tap). Program says it is "brewed and bottled in Chico, CA by Butte Creek Brewing Co.".

A: A sort of honey-gold/copper color - clear with about 1/2-finger of eggshell white frothy head.

S: Smells of Cascade hops with a mildly tea-filled effervescence. Maybe had I not known yerba mate was used I wouldn't have identified it, but there is definitely a fresh, slight fruity and sweet "tea" aroma in there.

T: Interesting - a pungent rooty herbal bitterness permeates this beer. I think I like, then I despise it, then I like it again. Has a gummy sweetness, too - like the backing of a postage stamp. Hmm...pretty good overall, just some of those oddball aftertastes are confusing...

M: Likable crispness, tingly spices on the tip of the tongue. Body is light-medium; unlike any other 'pale ales' I've tried. Finish is clean and dry; refreshing.

D: Cerainly good enough to have again. This one really grew on me. Worthy of a try, or a pint if found on-draught.

3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

Hmm an organic ale brewed with yerba mate until recently I had never heard of yerba mate and still dont know much about it other than its caffeinated.Poured a hazed peachy yellowish color with a nice tight 1 1/2 finger sticky white head that left a nice ring around my pint glass,mild aromas I picked up some citric tones as well as some chocolate and earth odd enough maybe imparted from the yerba mate,a firm toasty note as well.Quite grainy on the palate a light shot of of citrusy west coast hop and chocolate with a bit of raw earthiness in there as well it ends quite abruptly.Hey something new and unique its not the greatest thing in the world but really its not all that bad,worth a try in my mind.

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Aroma: Fresh citrus and grapefruit hop aroma that masks a sweet caramel maltiness. The citrus almost has a slight tart nose. Minty with a hint of cinnamon.

Appearance: Hazy dark straw with a bright white pillowy head retention.

Flavor: Very interesting flavors that of tea bags, huge mint flavor, herbal and a slight vegetal flavor from the Yerba Mate. All is balanced with a hop bitterness that lingers a bit and finishes fairly dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium body - perfect CO2 and finishes on the dry side.

Overall Impression: Yerba Mate plant is a shrub or small tree growing up to 15 meters tall and is native to subtropical South America in Argentina, Southern Paraguay; Western Uruguay and Southern Brazil. Caffeine content varies between .3% and 1.7% of dried weight. This beer tastes similar to a Pale Ale. Well brewed beer and balanced. If your looking for a refreshing thirst quenching Pale Ale, this is not the one. Very interesting and worth a try.

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 650 mL bomber purchased from Liquid Solutions.

A: The pale ale is indeed a pale yellow color, quite light looking almost like a pale wheat ale. The orange-yellow is darkest in the center of the glass, looking like a concentrated apple juice.

S: The ale has a crisp cascade hop aroma, jumpy with citrus goodness. Softening up the hops is a rather unusual tea aroma (unusual in that one rarely encounters it).

T: The taste is unique to say the least. The cascade hops do their job, pepping up the taste with a citrus zest that highlights some grapefruit and citrus peel. Immediately crowding out the hops are the yerba mate flavors, strong tea notes that take on a tobacco flavor and overpower the hops. A former colleague drank yerba mate regularly and I never really understood it. I still don't, finidng the unique flavors to be ill-suited for a pale ale.

M: The yerba mate crowds out all hop flavors, creating a tea beer that is full of leafy tobacco notes. Interesting to say the least.

D: The yerba mate is the centerpiece of the beer, so it is hard to say something off the cuff like 'good except for the mate.' The mate flavors are unusual, leafy and easily able to overpower the cascade hops and malt bill. I am not aware of any other beers that feature yerba mate, so this is worth a visit if only for the uniqueness.

3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 22oz brown bottle w/o freshness date into a snifter.

A - A hazed amber w/ a full white 3 finger head. A noticeable ring of yeast sediment gets swirled and poured into the tasting glass. Lots of tiny bubbles quickly rising indicate effervescence.

S - Fruity, like a sweet tart, but earthy herbal (Yerba Mate?) scent is very aromatic and tea-like. An almost catnip aroma with a deep tangerine or Valencia citrus quality with lots of tropical scents. Quince, Mango and Passionfruit come to mind in the delicate floral aroma. Kumquait and tamarind are also possible here with a really intriquing aroma.

M - Creamy malts give way to a twiggy astringent bitter feel, almost like chewing up aspirin. Lots of citrus flavors - lemony and citrus peel in the feel. Decent carbonation is a plus as it keeps the earthy components of the brew bouyant.

T - Initially The herbal astringency just hits you, but the malt and citrus from the hops step in to give support and contrast to the creamy, but earthy taste that has a bit of a bite. Floral and tropical flavors swirl in and out w/ nutty sugar and medicinal tastes. It has the peculiar curious taste kind of like drinking something with agave in it for the first time. Spice and pepper are a minor component in the finish. Every return taste seems to have an orange tea flavor whcih reminds me of Amarillo hops.

D - An interesting beer, I could see myself wanting to return to the flavor it posesses. A pizza or quesadilla might be a worthy pairing since it is lively and intriguing. Worth a try since it is a unique beer and doesn't disappoint with flavor.

3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Website: www.mateveza.com

News: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070131/sfw081.html?.v=84

Plain brown unassuming wrapper uncapped and poured with a golden vitreous clear golden appearance topped with a settled khaki thin coating.

Spiced nose of orange peel, curacao, and orange sherbert. Extra nose of salt water taffy, candy sugar, and a citrus hoppy scent ending with some biscuit malt backing. Reminds me of a BIG ESB here.

First swigs: Delicate white grape juice meets a slick Tang breakfast drink aspect. A touch sherbert ice cream and orange pekoe tea. Hops are restrained with a melon fruit aspect.

Feel is a tad light and lacking fizzy zest. A bit flat and shushed settled like a flat Sunkist Soda.

Last swigs: Always excited for a new Butte Creek bomber bottle. Their Double IPA was a stand out of 2006. Not sure that the "caffeine" ingredient completely hits the mark. Supposed to be 1/2 cup of coffee per 12 oz. serving. Continued support to Butte Creek. Needs some zest but credit for original idea in a sea of rip-offs.

Beer is good. Happy new APA beering.

3.5/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle- color of hazy golden , with a decent eggshell colored head – complex nose of herbs , pepper , hops , citrus (lemon) , tea , nutmeg , and honey– taste of bitter hops , teasih quality , earthy , and mild lime - body is watery , and with low to medium carbonation – aftertaste of lemon , bitter , dry , herbs , and dirty

3.5/5  rDev +7%

pours a mildly haze yellow orange with rich white head

malt, slight fruit, and slight spice notes on the aroma

apple notes, with slight malt followed by a good bitterness and tea like flavors

light, smooth, and mild fruitiness it has a nice dry hopped finish

a good ale for a hot day

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampled May 2007
Pours with a brilliantly clear, lightly red tinged, copper color and is topped by a frothy, tightly beaded, pale tan colored head. The aroma is quite interesting; it is a mix of sweet citrus notes and something I can’t quite describe, but which must be the Yerba Maté. Smells a bit like fresh hemp seeds, with a sort of green herbaceous character that is completely unlike something found in hops.

The taste is lightly sweet up front, but actual dries out some (or at least the perceived sweetness dies out) as a green, herbal character takes over. The herbal character reminds me of a mix of hemp, tobacco and some notes of pine, among other things I can’t quite pin point. The herbal character really lingers on in the finish. This has quite a light mouthfeel and also has a zippy carbonation to it which also adds to the airiness of the brew. The hop flavors are perceived mainly up front (before the Yerba Maté kicks in) and remind me of light notes of orange zest and a touch of grapefruit.

This is certainly an interesting beer, half of the curiousness is provided by the balance that the Yerba Maté provides; or perhaps I should say this is interesting because the balance comes from Yerba Maté, instead of the traditional malt balancing component (hops). This is certainly worth trying, mainly for the contrast to hops that it provides, but is certainly not something I will be drinking much more of.

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Cloudy dirty orange color with a thin, bubbly white head. The aroma is a mixture of flowers and citrus, sort of herbal in a way. More flower petals in the flavor with the bitterness of the cascades and some earthy grassiness in the aftertaste. Not too much in the way of hops other than a hint of zesty citrus rind. Pretty light in body with lively, though not overdone, carbonation. Interesting beer here.

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Looks like apple cider.Cloudy, Heavy sediment. Thin fizzy head.
Smells good. Citrus, herbal, earthy. Kind of smells like an herbal wheat beer.
Man this taste like green tea with lemon. Herbal, spicy, slightly smokey with a dry finish.
Medium bodied with a dry finish.
I thought this beer was really interesting and enjoyed it at first. As time wore on the novelty wore off though.

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

pours a clear yellow with an orange tint, thin white head.

smell of spice, some white pepper, light orange peel, herbs.

taste is watery, spice, slight bitterness, dandelion, some citrus, mild hops, leaves the mouth dry with a slight bitter kick.

not bad for an herb brew.

MateVeza Organic Golden Ale from Cervecería de MateVeza