MateVeza Organic Golden Ale - Cervecería de MateVeza

MateVeza Organic Golden AleMateVeza Organic Golden Ale

Cervecería de MateVeza visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Brewed by Butte Creek Brewing Company

(Beer added by: SethB2 on 01-14-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of MateVeza Organic Golden Ale Alström Bros
1.7/5  rDev -48%

Terrible beer. Now to the specifics. Cloudy hefeweizen look to the beer with white head. It smelled herbal, organic, and lightly hopped. The taste is similar to the smell and is herbal, but very watery, with a lightly bitter finish. Bland, but mostly smooth, and what taste there was, was a sort of funky tea like taste. One of my least favorite beers for sure. If you're not crazy about whatever the heck, "yerba mate' " is there is not much reason to drink this.

JDV, Feb 06, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

03/07/07- Purchased at City Beer in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bomber with no freshness info on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Nice deep ripe apricot hued color. Smaller 1/4 inch head which settles at a nice creamy rim. Leaves behind decent patchwork. Actually looks kinda like PTY...that where the similarities end.

Smell- Still looking good. Nice sugary, fruity and perfumy hop nose. Maybe some orange and grapefruit in the mix.

Taste- I should have know better when I saw this was made by Butte Creek. UGH! The first sip took a while to decipher. Kinda bitter, mild hop bite, maybe a touch of citrus. That was then followed by a rancid used tea bag flavor, rotten honey and spoiled green olives. WTF! This is the second beer I have had that has a green olive taste..which I really despise. The other one was Hitachino Red Rice Ale. I'm sorry to just rate this one two sips, but I couldn't get any more down without refunding my dinner.

Mouthfeel- Very light carbonation, followed by a dry martini like flavor and texture. Maybe rubbing alcohol should be added to the taste as well.

Drinkability- Sorry Butte Creek, your DIPA is tolerable, but this is just rancid horseshit...IMO. Drain pour. Glad it wasn't expensive.

GClarkage, Mar 08, 2007
2.08/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22 oz. bottle tried 1 Jun 2008.

Upon openening the head starts gushing out of the bottle and it took three pint glasses to contain it all. Huge head (of course), white. Well carbonated. Takes forever to settle down to even see any beer in the glass. Hazy maize color. Smells herbal, earthy, leafy, musty, maybe some peaches. Taste is overpowering of what I can only imagine is the yerba mate. Musty, astringent, and bitter throughout. Medium body. Alcohol completely hidden. A's gag reflex was tripped. Half the bottle was a drain pour.

Not recommended.

htomsirveaux, Mar 14, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -34.3%

Plesant looking, dark Apricot color. Headless. Little to be excited about so far other than the yerba mate factor, a tea that I heard about way back in high school. Said to be the highest caffeen content in the tea world, seems like a weird place to start if adding odd herbs to comercial homebrew. Why not Earl Grey or Green Tea?

Smells pretty good. Very sweet, and tea like. Astringent. Un A-hop-agenic?

Wow. Tastes like some one made beer out of a strong batch of yerba mate tea. Sharp bitterness of the tea isn't translating well as an alternative to hops.

I suggest buying the tea on it's own. It's better that way.

Too much like tea, it lacks the punch of drinking a $5 beer.
Has an un appealing menthol effect on my tongue.

It's organic which is a big plus, but taste rules.
I'm not sure what I'd suggest to pair with it.
Spicy Grilled Beef? Spicy Pork Roast?

Dotcubed, Dec 09, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -31.8%

A: Pours a light transparent and slight hazy golden color that produces a head of epic proportions. I took extra care with this pour and it still grew and grew amazingly. The retention is amazing as well, two inch cap remains with the beer the entire way thru.

S: There is no way this is a pale ale...Not that its bad, but it is not a pale ale...Herbed/Spiced beer would be more suiting. The nose smells exactly like Bengay. Minty/spearmint are the notes. I'm not quite sure what yerba smells like, but I'm assuming this beer resembles it. Interesting to say the least. Also, the nose resembles a rose. This is definitely the most interesting nose I've come across. Apparently cascade hops are included, but the spice of this plant really mask it.

T: So it is spicier than I assumed, cascade hops give it a nice bitterness, but its pretty overwhelming.

MF/D: High carbonation, light in body, long spicy finish.

I don't know what to think of this beer. Very interesting but I'm not sure if I will revisit this one.

Notes: I really keep an opened mind when I drink/review beer and I respect the fact that people like yerba, but A) this is not a pale ale...no way no how. B) It is extremely overwhelming for me. I had to drain it, the first drain pour ever from me!

scottyshades, Sep 05, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -31.8%

I had never seen this beer before, so after coming across it at my local beer store, I decided to give it a shot. On the bottle is a map of South American, which is a little deceiving, because it says that is it brewed at the "California Organic Brewery" in Chico, Ca. That doesn't exist on BeerFly. Then I noticed a url printed on the bottle - www.mateveza.com. Ah, so this is a Butte Creek offering, as I suspected by the two words "organic" and "Chico".

Anyway this is brewed with Yerba Mate herb, which is described in detail on the website. It's a caffeinated beverage, equal to a cup of coffee, or so they claim. They also claim that it is a "Naturally Caffeinated Pale Ale", but I'm calling this thing a herb/spiced beer. I think anyone who tries it will agree. Too bad I can't classify it with that tag officially.

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A - Pours a golden brown color that is transparent and clean in look. Nice two finger head foams up after an aggressive pour, but recedes fairly quickly leaving not much lace behind.

S - Errr, odd. I'm hesitant to say that it smells bad, just strange. More like tea than beer. A sweet spice starts things off with a little bit of malt and honey. Not much in the hop department that I could descern, though the website says that they used cascade.

T - Again, not what I was expecting. This is like tea with a bit of hop bite. Starts with a bit of dirty charcoal and moves into the an herbal presense that isn't too offensive and rounds it with a healthy dose of tap water.

M - Very, very thin. Carbonation is lacking.

D - Not a fan. I hate to trash a new beer, but this needs a bit of work. Maybe some will like it, but this isn't my cup of tea. Then again, I'm not a tea fan.

I'll give these guys some credit though. In the crowded world of craft brews where similarities between styles and makers abound, this is truley unique. I have never had anything quite like this.

SethB2, Jan 14, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -24.2%

Can't claim to be a Yerba Mate expert...didn't even know what the hell it was before this was reviewed in BA magazine. Ignorant me.

The head froths up nicely but dies quickly, leaving small bits of splotchy lace in its wake. Color is a bronze/gold featuring tiny floating grains that look like some kind of spice...about the size of fine sand. I poured carefully and these still arrived. There's still a good bit of sediment at the bottom.

Aroma heavily recalls sweet iced tea...something I'm usually not fond of. Strike one. Also some light, perfume-y, earthy spice, a little like potpourri but not like an over-spiced winter warmer or anything. I guess all this is the Yerbe Mate? Would be nice of the brewery to put just a little information on the label other than "naturally caffeinated from yerba mate".

Flavor is like holding lighter strains of wheat grain in your mouth; really earthy, quite gentle, some natural sweetness seeping out. Also unfortunately reminds of iced tea, which I'm just not into, neither the real deal nor in a beer. A grassy bitterness flares up in the finish. Mouthfeel is thin and watery, and no matter what kind of beer it is, that's not acceptable. Drying happens almost immediately, but still, it's paper-thin.

This is probably great for some, but it's just not my thing. It reminds me of a decent homebrew attempt and little else. The herbal tea-like bitterness that sticks in the mouth is really off-putting, the watery feel is never wanted, and I wouldn't look forward to another. Thumbs up for going organic, and for trying something different, but this is still an unattractive concoction. Call me an arrogant bastard, but I shan't purchase this ag'in.

Metalmonk, Dec 04, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Pours a lightly hazed pale straw, with a beastly head that leaves surprisingly little lacing on the glass. The nose has an overriding scent of tea leaves, along with a strange hopped spiciness. Intriguing, if nothing else. Like most cases of intrigue, though, this tale ends in pain when the tasting gets underway. This taste is kinda hard for me to describe, but I'll give it my best shot: Starts out with a bitter tea flavor, followed immediately by a hint of herb (like pepper and basil, almost) and a rush of carbonation that erases most of the flavor from the tongue, though a faint bitterness remains. The carbonation makes the body overly light and disallows any true oral appreciation. Combine that with the strange, off-putting flavor and this brew, to me, doesn't come out as all that drinkable.

TMoney2591, Feb 11, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -18%

MateVeza..."MateVeza Organic Golden Ale is brewed with yerba mate, source of the South American caffeinated herbal tea."

Caffeinated golden ale...herbal tea...hmmmm...

Hazy, high carbonation, smallish head.

Light hops in aroma, a little floral, light fruit, some apple and pear...nice.

Taste: hmmm, ...let's look at that neck label again..."verba mate provides a dry finish and a natural source of caffeine. Say buenos dias to Beerunch.www.beerunch.com."

Dry finish, yes. Flavor is missing. Unless I remember this is a "Tea beer"...huh.
Light bodied,and light-flavored. Very delicate. Nice citric zest feel. Just right for beerunch, I guess.
Not bad,actually, just doesn'tgrab me, with what flavor thereis....kind of a lackluster"golden ale"...golden color, but lacks any zaz,....kazork...

Pretty blase stuf.

feloniousmonk, Dec 04, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Pours a tantalizing tangerine copper color with a cleanness to it. Scores and scores of bubbles flow to the top of the glass. Head is sudsy, just a touch off white.

S: Sort of smells like a saison. Some hay aromas mixed with lemon juice and some herbal essences.

T: Starts bland with minor citrus hops at the tip of the tongue. Ugh, then the yerba mate comes in. I’d forgot that I’d had yerba mate as tea before…and it tastes just like this…smoky dirt. This is awful. Finishes with more lingering yerba mate.

M: Medium body, hard mouthfeel

D: Wow, I really don’t like this. Not even a little.

Westsidethreat, Nov 16, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tall frothy white head on the pour. Clear golden hue in appearance, with small amounts of lacing as the glass empties.

Floral, light herbal aroma. Earthy, somewhat nutty. The malt is faint with some grainy husks.

Twiggy, earthy flavour, if nothing else the yerba mate most certainly shines through. However as a result of that it comes across as pretty one-dimensional in the flavour department, just the undenable twang of yerba mate. Earthy, twiggy aftertaste, very herbal and dry.

Mouthfeel is pretty decent, smooth and medium-bodied. I do enjoy my tea, leaf or herbal, along with the occassional cup of yerba mate, but I can't say I find this cross-over blending with ale a very palatable combination, nor a really desirable one. Credit for the experiment however.

IronDjinn, Jun 11, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

22oz brown bottle. Poured into a pounder glass it took some power pouring to get the desired results. Loose head pops down to an outer ring. Small specks of lace. Cloudy orange body.

Smells earthy and root bark combined with grapefruit and lemon. There is also a flowery bouqet and some spicing as well. This brew really packs it in. But how does it all come together in the taste is the question. It comes across lighter than smell would indicate. Starts out watered, tea like floral and effortless to drink but halfway through each pull is when the flavor developed. A rather sharp lemony citrus smacker combined with a drying hop presence snaps this into shape. Finishes dry and spiced.

Notes: It was interesting and unique. That warrants at least a purchase.

DogFood11, May 15, 2007

Cloudy orange colored beer with a skimpy white head.

The smell is sweet and very floral with a surprisingly strong rose petal aroma. There is a bit of a bitter aroma here like bitter orange or lime oil. Little bit of pine and grapefruit aroma but it is well hidden under all the flowers.

The taste begins quite stoutly bitter with an odd bitter aftertaste of something that is not hops. A little smoky and spicy there is a strong astringency at work here. There is a harsh bitter aftertaste to this that lasts quite a long time. Weirder tastes like leather, wood and ashes. Grass, cooked cabbage, cigarette butts, can't say this think lacks flavors; and it reminds you that it isn't always a good thing.

The mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkable...well if you say so. Not something I will likely drink again unless this gives me super powers or makes me rich. Just what the F is Yerba Mate anyway? Google says it is a shrub from South America with effects like caffeine, guess they don't do Coffee Stout down there. A unique beer but not a good one.

Zorro, Aug 31, 2007

Mateveza pours a hazy orange with a thick off white head from a twenty two ounce bottle. I poured kind of hard, but even so, it surprised me in how much it looked like a nitro beer with cascading bubbles. Aroma is okay, kind of average for a pale ale. The taste is kind of odd though. It must be the yerba mate that dominates the flavor, there are some hops that balance it out nicely, but I'm not sure I really like it. Grassy and kind of herbal flavors also seem prominent. I wont buy it again, but I can't say don't try it.

Drew966, Jun 24, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Perhaps I'm just not much for Yerba Mate, or perhaps my friend (who I'm pretty sure thinks that this is made in Brazil and not Chico...) talked this up too much... I just have a hard time reviewing this as an American Pale, but here is my best go at it:
Appearance-Color reminiscent of chicken soup broth. No head,with the teeniest bit of lacing. Lively. The thought of lively chicken soup had this vegetarian a bit timid.
Smell- sour mash aroma. This DID intrigue me, and tamed my chickensoupmonster fears.
Taste-bitter salty start, the middle started to finally resemble a pale, but then my tongue was assaulted by Yerba mate, and the taste lingered for some time after sipping.
Mouthfeel- Quite pleasant, tingly allover.
Drinkability- not my cuppa tea. I confess, I couldn't finish my bottle. Perhaps on the right sunny day, for the right mate-lovin beer drinker.

1759Girl, Nov 26, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Pours an intriguing apricot colour with a slight haze and an enormous sudsy white head.

Smell: Sweet and fruity-some interesting herbal elements and a citrusy hop aroma.

Taste: Well, it's interesting. Medium-low sweetness balances a mild hop influence. The mate is definitely sticking itself in the mix, contributing some additional bitterness and an earthy herbalness. Unsurprisingly, it tastes like yerba mate mixed with a light pale ale.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: On the whole, I think I'd rather have either beer or mate, but not both. Still, it's drinkable, and certainly worth trying if you like mate.

flowerysong, Nov 30, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Interesting effort here... Big on the head, and temptingly cloudy in appearance. Smell is mostly floral in nature, and not surprisingly reminiscent of tea leaves. Aside from the pervasive tea flavor, the taste is quite pedestrian. I didn't come away with a sense that a real effort was made to create a synergy between the tea flavor and the other components. It just sits on top of the very unispired malt & hop profile and says "Look at me!". Mouthfeel is dry, tea-like. Interesting idea, and not without potential. Just an ill-conceived effort.

jeffjfindley, Jun 28, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

Naturally caffeinated with Yerba Mate, whatever that is.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Emerges dark golden and pretty much clear with a very nice white head. Nice and dense, like lemon meringue. Great lacing as well.

Some cinnamon and cloves in the aroma as well as some sort of spiced tea or that Russian tea I used to drink as a youth. Maybe even some Tang? Gin also seems to be in there somewhere as well. A bit weird for beer if you ask me, but not bad.

Flavor is mostly a bitter tea/coffee; maybe really watered down coffee. Hints of chocolate.

Bitterness seems a bit apparent and unwanted. A little thin on the mouthfeel. Watery, but weirdly quenching. I could handle one or two bottles of this but after a while the bitterness may wear on me.

SaCkErZ9, May 18, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden hued body with a thinnish white head.

Smell: Leafy and vegetablesque mainly, with a nice, engaging little honey character throughout as well as just a touch of lemon. There's a sprinkling of spice in there, too, a bit like what you'd get out of a weak pumpkin ale.

Taste: Earthy, herbaceous tea-like flavors set against just the faintest bit caramel. Finishes crisp, with a lightly herbal, citrusy bitterness."Good, huh? That's my batwing broth. There's eye of newt in there, tree mold, old lizard brains, scales from a rancid sea serpent."

Mouthfeel: Watery, with a surpassingly thin body and equally thin carbonation.

Drinkability: A novel, unorthodox brew that makes for an effective mid-session palate cleanser, but beyond that, well...

ChainGangGuy, May 16, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass, the liquid is cloudy pale yellow, with good caebonation. The head is 2 fingers white and leaves some lace.

The smell is faint and light, mild hops and an odd malty base. I bit of citrus but not like we have come to enjoy.

The taste follows, underpowered white bread malty base, with a very underdone hops that comes through but does not impress.

The mouthfeel is good, The body is nice and the carbonation is good.

The drinkability is ok just not any thing to seek out again.

MK

MuenchenerKindl, Apr 06, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was a strange brew. It looked like unfiltered apple cider, a cloudy orange with a small head. Th smell was like a winter warmer somewhat, with spices, apples and a herbal smell. The taste was very herbal and bitter. Maybe a bit like liqourice. There was a distinct flavor, much like bitterroot. This reminded me of old timey folks who may have made a brew with whatever thay could have gatherwed up in the woods near their home. The beer was smooth however and easy to drink. There was a bitter aftertaste, but not like a hop bitterness. I could drink this again. It is different but not in a bad way.

Enola, Sep 16, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apricot color with a raocky head that retains fairly well and leaves dots of lacing around the glass

Smell: There are some familiar aromas of biscuity malt and citrusy hops but it sure smells like a potent herbal tea wrapped inside but not well hidden

Taste: Starts out with a rather neutral pale ale flavor that is joined, mid-palate, by the medicinal herbal tea flavors; after the swallow, those flavors predominate and try as I like, I just cannot get comfortable with what they do to a brew

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation but surprisingly dry on the finish

Drinkability: When I first saw this bottle I was afraid of what it might contain. Note to self: Trust your instincts

brentk56, Oct 28, 2007
3.38/5  rDev +3.4%

From a 22fl.oz. brown bomber with a label resembling the artwork of Banana Republic...looks cool. It pours a hazy apricot orange-gold with a thick off-white frothy head.

The nose fills with sweet citrus and tea...smells refreshing.

Tasting like the smell, it starts with sweet oranges and lemon peel that transcends to a bitter tea leaf finish. Medium light body with a watery mouthfeel that finishes dry.

Easily drinkable with no detection of alcohol...an interesting, above average APA.

scottoale, Jul 02, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 Oz bomber ,from Lifesource Organic Grocery,Salem. Dark golden almost amber colour, good sized frothy off white head. Subdued herbal aromas, some maltiness Taste is at first just a regular malty amber ale, then the yerba mate kicks in near the end, tangy, herbal,dry finish. Good mouthfeel. I started off not likeing this at all, but it grew on me as I drank through the bomber. Unusual and not bad.

Reidrover, Jan 16, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Lightly hazy tangerine peel. The three finger ivory crown picks up a hint of orange from the beer beneath and has a mousse-like texture. Almost no lace sticks to the glass. Mateveza looks like a thousand and one other APAs, never mind the exotic ingredient that will soon be unleashed on my senses.

The nose is interesting and is unlike anything I've ever smelled. It's fairly subtle with a sweet, herbal, somewhat fruity character. Of course the sweetness could be coming from the pale malt and the fruitiness could be coming from the Cascade hops. It isn't really citric fruity, though, more like some previously undiscovered tropical fruit. Not quite peachy, but close.

I thought Mateveza was a South American beer when I bought it. Little did I know that it's a Butte Creek product (which, by the way, isn't noted on the label). It's flavored with yerba mate, which is relative of holly, and has stimulant properties similar to caffeine. Traditionally, the leaves and stems are chopped up, soaked in hot water and the resulting tea is sipped through a straw.

The flavor is much odder than the nose because it's much stronger. I guess the brewers hit on the right amount of yerba mate to add, but it's going to take my taste buds a while to wrap themselves around the exotic nature of this ale. After a few ounces to get acclimated, they're now in a position to weigh in with an opinion.

Although it isn't bad, I much prefer the flavor of another plant, humulus lupulus. To me, yerba mate tastes like an especially herbal, grassy variety of hop. The Cascade (which might have overwhelmed the flavor profile if they were added with a heavier hand) don't contribute much citrus peel zestiness. Again, it's a good balancing act... assuming one cares for the flavor being spotlighted.

The biggest stimulant buzz that I ever got from beer was from a bomber of Peche Mortel. I've also noticed it with a few others (B-to-the-E is the only one that comes to mind). I was all set to say that I couldn't appreciate that same humming sensation with Mateveza, but now I think I'm beginning to. It's a weird vibe that I don't really enjoy. Give me either an alcohol mellowing or a Mountain Dew rush, but not both at once.

The mouthfeel is within the wide range of acceptable for an APA. Its good points are that it doesn't fade too much on the finish and the amount of carbonation is just about perfect for quick and easy drinking with a minimum of burping. Man oh man, my head is really beginning to buzz now.

Mateveza gets points for originality. Beyond that, I can't see it gaining a foothold among lovers of craft beer. I'm glad I gave it a chance since I learned something about yerba mate and the history behind it, but it's one and done for me. Why do I suddenly feel like cleaning out the garage, washing the car, trimming the trees...

BuckeyeNation, Mar 15, 2007