Mateveza Yerba Mate IPA - Cervecería de MateVeza

Mateveza Yerba Mate IPAMateveza Yerba Mate IPA

Cervecería de MateVeza visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2009

Reviews by jackorain:
3.7/5  rDev +11.4%

The color is dark straw with a tinge of copper. It is nearly clear with a slight twinge of haze. The liquid is topped with an inch of white head that fell to a thickish coat and left a tall collar and decent lace.

Smells of herbal hops, green hops and grapefruit hops. Caramel and biscuit malt. Nice aroma

There is not a lot of bitterness but what is there is more herbal than anything. There is a little green and grapefruit. Some caramel sweetness come through in the middle and lingers long. Not muc bitterness on the finish. Quite heavy on the malts.

Body is medium almost full. The heavy malts really pump up the mouthfeel.

I suppose I could have a few of these, but I don't love it. Not bitter enough for an IPA.

2.48/5  rDev -25.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden amber with a small white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is floral spices (yerba mate?) with some light hops and some metallic notes. Smells kind of like a gruit I made.

The flavor is a bit washed out with some chalky spices that have a good amount of bitterness in the finish with a bit of a weird metallic chalky aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a very watery texture.

Overall, this really reminds me a lot of the gruit I made...interesting but I don't really care for the strange chalky metallic spice bitterness.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

I had no idea what Yerba Mate was, never heard of it until now.

Pours a great craggy orange. Aroma is subdued. Taste, I thought more bitter than what I've read from others. Hop qualities though aren't really there. Tastes like the hops were boiled a long time, but not necessarily a plentiful amount for a CA IPA.

Mouthfeel, I didn't enjoy it as much throughout, affected both that and drinkability. $7.99 a 4pack for this.

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

22oz poured into a pint glass

A little hesitant to try this. Tea and beer probably shouldn't mix, but the guy on the bottle has a gleam in his eye so...

Pours a hazy, murky brown with decent head. Smells of tea leaves mild citrus. Taste is mainly tea citrus tries to shine through but the bitterness from the tea leaves dominate. I expect a hop bitterness in an IPA, but I don't get any bitterness from the hops...just friggin tea. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated; the tea really dries your mouth out.

As expected, no tea in my beer from now on.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Poured into a tulip glass. Golden, cloudy with 1/4 inch head that quickly dissipated.

S - Citrus, strong grapefruit.

T - Slight hops, followed by light bitterness, little sweetness and ends with the taste of mate. The mate does not linger. All the tastes quickly move from one to the next without any standing out or being overpowering.

M - Smooth

D - Very drinkable. However, I would quickly get bored with it. The inclusion of mate is the draw for this beer since it drinks as a very ordinary IPA or Pale Ale (both are listed on the bottle). The brewery's website states that 12 oz. of this beer is equal to 1/2 cup of coffee in caffeine. I would have to drink quite a few though to get enough caffeine for a night out... coffee wins there. But it is still an interesting drink and worth trying.

3.08/5  rDev -7.2%

third time tasting this beer. staggeringly average IPA overall. i can't complain, but there is little there to keep me interested.

pours a hazy light amber color with a small head. some lacing remained on the glass by the time it was finished. noticeable herbal qualities dominated the nose, but not exactly a mate smell. i'm not a regular yerba mate drinker, but this beer did not really taste like that hot brewed beverage. sure, there was a slight tannic-like bitterness but not in the way i get from yerba mate. minimal citrus hops in the beer, but i suppose that makes sense as they are going for an herbal thing here. pretty easy to drink, but also easy to forget.

3.68/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Big thanks to Bubba83 for including this in a recent trade. I pulled this cold right out of the box and immediately poured it.

Pours a hazy golden apricot, with a finger of rocky eggshell-white head. This retains with a rich sudsy look, leaving back a cascade of robust froth that slowly creeps down the sides of the glass. The aroma definitely has a grassy tea-like quality to it that mixes with bitter citric fruit and the backing bready sweetness of the malts. Just a real fresh earthy and fruit stickiness here that hangs in the nose.

The taste is herbal tea and fresh citrus flavors, with a dry pithy bitterness to it. Sweet sugary and bready notes hang on the edges and help balance out the hops. On a side note, you really can feel the caffeine that is present as well. I'm glad I decided to drink this in the middle of the afternoon. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated with a smooth crispness that glides along in the mouth. There's a nice bit of slickness to the body as well which really helps that bigger feel go down. You don't taste the alcohol at all in this but the overall ABV does start to warm you up after a bit.

I have no previous experience with yerba mate but I do like fresh herbal character in my IPAs and this packed that quality in nicely. That zesty citric bitterness seemed to fit right in as well and those balancing malts did their job without being intrusive. Easy going body and well hid ABV were just the icing on the cake. Count me in as another one who actually enjoyed this!

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%

Qualifications for this review:

I am an avid drinker of yerba maté. I have an arsenal of gourds and bombillas, and have tried many many different brands and flavors of maté. (Let me even qualify that by saying that I typically am partial to good old unflavorted maté.) I know my maté. As an experiment, last week I tried putting just a few specks of maté leaf in with coffee while brewing, and I thought it was very obviously detectable.

Also, I am an avid drinker of double IPAs and like them as hoppy as they come. This comes at the expense of my fondness for normal IPAs that I would have liked had I not moved to California.

I could not detect any yerba maté by smell or taste, and I feel like I would have been able to detect it if it were there. It kind of made me sad. Other reviewers noted some tea-like flavors, but I didn't. It may have been because I was looking for the true kick of maté, yet didn't find it on the foretaste or aftertaste.

As for a review uninfluenced by my expectations, (not that that's possible), I thought this beer was reasonably good. It was a solid, flavorful, and interesting IPA. I probably won't buy it again for myself, but if I ever have any fellow maté drinkers visiting me, I'd say there's a chance I'd buy this to have them try.

3.74/5  rDev +12.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. 7.0% ABV, no date.

A - Very cloudy golden apricot orange beer flows from the bottle piling up a three-finger head. Mediocre retention is helped by the foamy lace clinging to the glass just above the beer's surface.

S - I'll be upfront here; I have no clue what Yerba Mate is or what it tastes or smells like. With that said, this IPA has a very interesting aroma of a melon-like exotic fruit I can only suggest would be the yerba. Pine and earthy hops and caramel malts back it up nicely. Not only is this something I've never smelled before, it's also one of the better certified organic brew aromas.

T - The initial IPA flavor of hops and caramel malts is washed aside by what I assume is the yerba. Dry, very dry, lightly spicy, and not-so-much fruity, the yerba imparts an interesting flavor that takes away from the IPA-ness of the beer is just a bit too much.

M - Yerba Mate is insanely dry. It doesn't hit at first but comes in with a delay until you realize a glass of water almost becomes necessary. Almost no hop bitterness resides on the finish as this IPA leaves the smooth, medium body a quickly disappearing memory in the wake of DRY!

D - Awesome and different at first, this unique IPA stumbles into the realm of undrinkable due to the beyond-harsh dry texture. I'm finishing the night with water instead. I really enjoy how different this beer is in aroma and taste but it's just not for me.

3.52/5  rDev +6%

Pours hazed golden yellow with a thin head that becomes spotty/patchy.

The smell is herbal with woody/piney notes.

The taste is wood/pine and herbal. It has a minty, tea-leafy dry, bitterish finish. Some honey sweetness balances it.

It has a crisp medium body.

Well, it's unique... herbal/tea-like. Interesting, but not too crazy about it...

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz bottle bought from "Habits" in S.Salem. Appearance is quite murky for the usual IPA..it has the dull orange colour,but its very hazy,head is a dirty eggshell colour. Aroma is slighly honeyish/spicy hop. Flowery, delicate actually quite nice. Taste is strange..it has the hops OK..grassy to pine like, but they are almost overwhelmed by a strange tea like ( its not but thats the closest i can get) taste. slighly metallic near the end. OK on the tongue average fior style. Overall a strange beer..i had their Pale Ale a coupe of years back and didnt like it the first bottle..it grew on me after that. perhaps this will be the same. need to try another bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +13%

2.95/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a tulip pint: Brassy orange, hazy but barely transparent, with a thin, bubbly head. Looks to be a lot of nucleation.

Smell is almost straight-up pineapple juice witha twist the end, of...something. Tea? Pine? Not bad, just unexpected.

Taste starts off citric, very much like Five Alive, if you ever had that as a kid -- blend of orange, lemon, lime -- then in comes this very earthy bitterness, like someone dropped leaves right in. Not dirty so much as green & dry, like chlorophyl. Not a great element. Aftertaste much the same, some booze creeps in after a while. There's a taste that reminds me of vitamins, like if you leave a multi-vitamin in your mouth too long & it begins to dissolve.

Fairly light for its alcohol content, though it's got some body. Maybe it's my imagination, but there seems to be a grittiness in the finish.

Overall, not great -- the weird bits subside a bit (but unfortunately don't disappear altogether), although what remains is not terrific, either. I don't think I would have bought this had it not been for the Yerba Mate trumpeted on the package, & I don't think that added anything to it.

3.22/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark orange with moderate carbonation and a ½ inch, slightly off-white head. Dissipates fairly quickly with little lacing. Some sediment is noticeable, but I suspect this is from the mate, not unfiltered yeast.

Nose: Notes of grapefruit, honey and earth tones can be detected. Fairly light, pleasant smell.

Taste: The hop's citrus and pine tones hit you first, followed by an earthy green tea flavor that overwhelms. Honey can be noted as well, but the astringent tea flavor strikes an acute contrast to the bitter hops and leaves an odd, strangely bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The textural smoothness of this beer is probably its best aspect. It has just the right viscosity for an IPA, and if you're grabbing one of these for the caffeine kick (I've read that yerba mate is more caffeinated that tea, but I haven't seen any evidence) it doesn't take a lot of effort to wash this down.

Drinkability and general notes: Well, I guess its drinkability is relative. If you're a real hophead and you like lightly sweetened tea, this should go down nicely. Especially on a hot day and you're in the mood for a little brain juice, I could think of far more unpleasant ways of consuming caffeine. However, in the context of BA, the distinctive flavors of yerba mate (pick some up at Trader Joes, healthy and tasty) just don't compliment the hop's powerful flavor profile. The honey-like malts add some sweetness to the mix, but the tea flavors come across a little forced and ultimately distract from what you would expect in a well-crafted IPA.

3.67/5  rDev +10.5%

Half of a bomber poured into a snifter

A - Darker shade of amber; very cloudy. There wasn't much head or lacing.

S - Yerba Mate, floral hops

T - Cut grass, yerba mate, and cane sugar are detected right away, and some lemongrass soon follows. After the initial taste, a very balanced IPA, albeit with a strong mate presence, is revealed. The malty middle is nicely offset by the relatively bitter hops which follow and the prolonged yerba mate herbal finish.

M - Medium to heavy-bodied for a 7% IPA with average carbonation. Halfway through the glass, it became a bit syrupy.

D - Decent, but not great. I'm a daily yerba mate drinker, and I'm sure this score would be lower for the majority of tasters.

A unique take on an IPA, I thoroughly enjoyed this. It's a bit gimmicky, perhaps, but I think it has a place in the market. If you're into the herb and like balanced IPAs, this may be right up your alley.

3.79/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very cloudy, golden color that is close to a very light brown. There are tints of orange as well. It has a medium sized, thick, white head that retains a small ring and leaves some scattered lacing. There is some light carbonation noticeable.

S: The smell is quite amazing and complex in my opinion. There are some light hops initially noticed. Next, a tea-like scent comes through along with some piney aromas. There is also a sweet, orange fruitiness that comes through. Overall, it is very pleasant.

T: After the very satisfying smell, the taste was sort of a let down. It tastes mostly of tea and hops. Not much else. I would've liked to see more of what was coming through in the smell in its taste as well.

M: It has a medium body that is smooth to drink. I has a little bite at the end from the hops and leaves a dry finish. The carbonation comes through here, but not overly so.

O: This has been a nice break from the usual rip your tongue off American IPA. If the taste was amped up a bit, it would be really great.

2.34/5  rDev -29.5%

A - Pours gold/orange with about 1-finger head. Moderate retention. Very little lacing.

S-- Citrusy hops; indicates IPA but with something else lurking...

T-- Here's where the tea character takes over. Very disconcerting at first. It grew on me a bit, but it was just too odd for me, one who's used to a more traditional IPA.

M - Thin bodied, with light carbonation. Pleasant enough.

O-- Just not my cup of tea, as the saying goes. Maybe this will become a new trend. It is, after all, drinkable, and actually warms kind of nicely. But the tea flavor feels out of place.

3.63/5  rDev +9.3%

First had: on tap at Oskar Blues Homemade Liquids & Solids, Longmont, CO

Poured a peach-amber color--surprisingly, as I expected something darker from the name--with a foamy white head that retained well and left a little lacing. Leafy aroma, tea-like...I'll steal the word "vegetal" to describe it, because that's what it was. The yerba mate is apparent in the taste right up front, dry and tea-ish, strong and overpowering, very woody; you still get some sweet malts, slight citrus twinges, and some leafy, earthy hops. Medium-bodied, and quite distinctive, about mid-range on the drinkability meter.

Mateveza Yerba Mate IPA from Cervecería de MateVeza