Mateveza Yerba Mate IPA - Cervecería de MateVeza

Mateveza Yerba Mate IPAMateveza Yerba Mate IPA

Cervecería de MateVeza visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 05-05-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.64/5  rDev -51.3%

Appears yellow colored with a small off white head.

It smells a bit odd. I get a weird tea like smell. I also get an odd bit of a citrus hop smell.

There is a weird creamy tea like flavor. There is a bit of a weird nutty malt flavor as well. I suppose I get a little citrus flavor. This is not very hoppy. This is not very much so like an IPA. This is really odd tasting it tastes mildly citrus. This tea like flavor kind of tastes like pee.

It has moderate carbonation.

This has a funky taste to it and it is hard to drink.

Just another BS caffeine beer. Why did I buy this? (582 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -45.1%

Bought at Mesa Liquor

A: Cloudy amber with ruby tinges. Smallish head that recedes quickly.

S: Really pleasant smell. Some tropical fruits, lychee, and a musty, earthy tea smell. Interesting combination.

T: Starts with a touch of floral hops and tropical fruit sweetness...and then it goes downhill. The tea flavor is completely overpowering and dank. As the beer warmed, I couldn't taste anything but the tea and had to dump it.

My biggest problem with this beer was that it labeled itself an IPA but had no real IPA elements. There was the slightest hint of hops in the taste and that was about it. Not a fan. (616 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -43.3%

Aroma:Honey, and tea.

Appearance:Honey, tons of head with big bubbles. In fact, when left too long half full, the bottle foamed over.

Taste:There is some sweet flavors in the foretaste, but that fades quickly into oversteeped tea leaves.

Mouthfeel:This beer kind of dries out my mouth.

Drinkability:I was not a fan of this beer, it dried out my mouth and didn't really taste very good. (389 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -30.6%

A - Pours gold/orange with about 1-finger head. Moderate retention. Very little lacing.

S-- Citrusy hops; indicates IPA but with something else lurking...

T-- Here's where the tea character takes over. Very disconcerting at first. It grew on me a bit, but it was just too odd for me, one who's used to a more traditional IPA.

M - Thin bodied, with light carbonation. Pleasant enough.

O-- Just not my cup of tea, as the saying goes. Maybe this will become a new trend. It is, after all, drinkable, and actually warms kind of nicely. But the tea flavor feels out of place. (576 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden amber with a small white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is floral spices (yerba mate?) with some light hops and some metallic notes. Smells kind of like a gruit I made.

The flavor is a bit washed out with some chalky spices that have a good amount of bitterness in the finish with a bit of a weird metallic chalky aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a very watery texture.

Overall, this really reminds me a lot of the gruit I made...interesting but I don't really care for the strange chalky metallic spice bitterness. (609 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -19%

I always thought that adding to yerba mate to an IPA would be an interesting concoction, and MateVeza is one step ahead of me. So, from a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

Muddy dark orange in color, the head on top gives less than a ½ inch head on top, which faded to a thin creamy lace. The aroma is very carmelized with faded hops. I'm getting a few distinct yerba mate notes, but you have to look for them. Right now, it smells like a faded IPA.

Now, I've tasted chimmarão in Rio Grande do Sul (a tea-like beverage made with yerba mate), but this is strange. I don't know if I like it or hate it. I'm getting the yerba mate flavor, which has its distinct flavor of moderate intenisty, but where's the IPA? A little dry malt and faded hops with resin is not the most pleasant experience. In this case, the yerba mate is helping this beer with its tea and citrus notes. The aftertaste is somewhat rough, a little bitter with dry toffee crisp.

Let's face it, the base beer is mediocre. If it weren't for the yerba mate, this would be a faded IPA which half would have been dumped. For what it's worth, it's better than the super strong yerba mate flavor found in DaDo Ilex, the first ever yerba mate beer. (1,211 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -17.2%

Shared at a poker game.

A - Pours copper-gold with no head. Was carbonated, but no retention.

S/T - Honey, citrus hops, and some pine. Not much to it.

M - Hop dominated, thin bodied, and light alcohol.

D - The only beer I didn't finish that night. There are some really good examples of organic IPAs and even some with caffeine. This wasn't one I would recommend. (368 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into a tulip pint: Brassy orange, hazy but barely transparent, with a thin, bubbly head. Looks to be a lot of nucleation.

Smell is almost straight-up pineapple juice witha twist the end, of...something. Tea? Pine? Not bad, just unexpected.

Taste starts off citric, very much like Five Alive, if you ever had that as a kid -- blend of orange, lemon, lime -- then in comes this very earthy bitterness, like someone dropped leaves right in. Not dirty so much as green & dry, like chlorophyl. Not a great element. Aftertaste much the same, some booze creeps in after a while. There's a taste that reminds me of vitamins, like if you leave a multi-vitamin in your mouth too long & it begins to dissolve.

Fairly light for its alcohol content, though it's got some body. Maybe it's my imagination, but there seems to be a grittiness in the finish.

Overall, not great -- the weird bits subside a bit (but unfortunately don't disappear altogether), although what remains is not terrific, either. I don't think I would have bought this had it not been for the Yerba Mate trumpeted on the package, & I don't think that added anything to it. (1,140 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

22oz poured into a pint glass

A little hesitant to try this. Tea and beer probably shouldn't mix, but the guy on the bottle has a gleam in his eye so...

Pours a hazy, murky brown with decent head. Smells of tea leaves mild citrus. Taste is mainly tea citrus tries to shine through but the bitterness from the tea leaves dominate. I expect a hop bitterness in an IPA, but I don't get any bitterness from the hops...just friggin tea. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated; the tea really dries your mouth out.

As expected, no tea in my beer from now on. (566 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

I had no idea what Yerba Mate was, never heard of it until now.

Pours a great craggy orange. Aroma is subdued. Taste, I thought more bitter than what I've read from others. Hop qualities though aren't really there. Tastes like the hops were boiled a long time, but not necessarily a plentiful amount for a CA IPA.

Mouthfeel, I didn't enjoy it as much throughout, affected both that and drinkability. $7.99 a 4pack for this. (425 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

third time tasting this beer. staggeringly average IPA overall. i can't complain, but there is little there to keep me interested.

pours a hazy light amber color with a small head. some lacing remained on the glass by the time it was finished. noticeable herbal qualities dominated the nose, but not exactly a mate smell. i'm not a regular yerba mate drinker, but this beer did not really taste like that hot brewed beverage. sure, there was a slight tannic-like bitterness but not in the way i get from yerba mate. minimal citrus hops in the beer, but i suppose that makes sense as they are going for an herbal thing here. pretty easy to drink, but also easy to forget. (671 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8%

12oz bottle poured into Sierra Nevada Hop pint glass.

A: Dark honey-amber with a thin off-white head that quickly disappeared leaving a thin bubbly film. Not much lacing.
S: Piney hops, hop resin, sweet malt, slight tea scent. Not particularly smelly.
T: Some piney hops, sweet malt backbone, some vague mate flavor that mostly emerges in the finish leaving a strange aftertaste in your mouth. Not a huge amount of flavor. Hops aren't prominent. Aftertaste is herbal and tea like in a slightly off-putting way.
M: Doesn't feel bad in the mouth. Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Has a bit of a bitter hop punch in the aftertaste, but it's not that traditional grapefruity bitter, it's more sour from the mate.
D: I don't know if the mate is actually supposed to come out in the flavor of the beer or if it is just supposed to sorta add extra grassiness to the hops. Either way, if you never told me this beer was brewed with mate I wouldn't have guessed it. Overall not a terrible IPA, but not a great one especially with the steep price tag. Oh, and the caffeine is noticeable. (1,093 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark orange with moderate carbonation and a ½ inch, slightly off-white head. Dissipates fairly quickly with little lacing. Some sediment is noticeable, but I suspect this is from the mate, not unfiltered yeast.

Nose: Notes of grapefruit, honey and earth tones can be detected. Fairly light, pleasant smell.

Taste: The hop's citrus and pine tones hit you first, followed by an earthy green tea flavor that overwhelms. Honey can be noted as well, but the astringent tea flavor strikes an acute contrast to the bitter hops and leaves an odd, strangely bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The textural smoothness of this beer is probably its best aspect. It has just the right viscosity for an IPA, and if you're grabbing one of these for the caffeine kick (I've read that yerba mate is more caffeinated that tea, but I haven't seen any evidence) it doesn't take a lot of effort to wash this down.

Drinkability and general notes: Well, I guess its drinkability is relative. If you're a real hophead and you like lightly sweetened tea, this should go down nicely. Especially on a hot day and you're in the mood for a little brain juice, I could think of far more unpleasant ways of consuming caffeine. However, in the context of BA, the distinctive flavors of yerba mate (pick some up at Trader Joes, healthy and tasty) just don't compliment the hop's powerful flavor profile. The honey-like malts add some sweetness to the mix, but the tea flavors come across a little forced and ultimately distract from what you would expect in a well-crafted IPA. (1,574 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

22 oz bottle bought from "Habits" in S.Salem. Appearance is quite murky for the usual IPA..it has the dull orange colour,but its very hazy,head is a dirty eggshell colour. Aroma is slighly honeyish/spicy hop. Flowery, delicate actually quite nice. Taste is strange..it has the hops OK..grassy to pine like, but they are almost overwhelmed by a strange tea like ( its not but thats the closest i can get) taste. slighly metallic near the end. OK on the tongue average fior style. Overall a strange beer..i had their Pale Ale a coupe of years back and didnt like it the first bottle..it grew on me after that. perhaps this will be the same. need to try another bottle. (666 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks yet again to oregonskibum for this tasty organic brew.

Pours an almost clear, shimmering amber, topped briefly by a dollop of beige head that vanishes to leave some short lived lace arms.

Didn't expect so much tea in the nose, but it is full of mate', with some muted citrus, some caramel and neutral sweet, and subtle floral notes that may be from the tea or hops.

The taste is full of the tea as well. As it warms the tea calms, but is still the main flavor, and the other flavors attempt to balance it. There are nice sweet pale malt flavors, and an understated citrus/very light pine that leads to a semi dry finish of hop and tea bitter. This was strange at first, but as my palate gets accustomed the flavors start to play well together. Very pleasant, simple, and interesting taste.

Mouthfeel is med. bodied, very low carb., quite viscous, not as clean on palate as would be optimum, and a finish that suffers from tea resin buildup. Don't know how you could fix this with so much mate', but a bit higher carb. and a bit cleaner in mouth would help this one.

Drinkability is good, not great, it is being compared, even if unfairly (it's got tea and it's certified organic), with some of the best IPA ever brewed.

Impression: Glad to have tried this, but it is an IPA variant I likely won't revisit. If you are crazy for mate', though, this beer is a must try. (1,380 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear gold/orange color with a very tall (almost 2 inches), white head that had very good retention and decent lacing.

The aroma was pine and citrus hop forward, with a bit of malt grain in the background. The taste was very similar, mostly hops, with some malt and an odd taste that I attributed to the Yerba Mate.

The body was average for an IPA. Drinkability was decent, but I had to take a half point off for the Yerba. Overall, a decent enough beer. Worth trying if you see it, you may like it a lot more than I did. (570 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

22oz bottle poured into a large mug

Pours slightly cloudy orangey golden with a big fluffy light tan head that fades about halfway fairly quickly, and then holds. Lots of active carbonation. Smell is fruity and citrus. Smells sweet.

Taste is...odd. Herbal, grassy, mild. Mildly hoppy. Something soapy about it.

Mouthfeel is light, dry. Overall, it's not bad. (361 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Orange amber color; evenly hazy. Poured a 2 finger off-white head that dissipated to a thin, even skim. Decanted lazily. Laced in wide rings with legs running down the glass.

S: Sweet orange, tropical fruits and herbal tea. Crackery malt and a hint of pine.

T: Very consistent with the nose. Slightly resinous. Sharply bitter and dry in the finish. The finish is quite strong relative to a bit of an unmemorable opening.

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Smooth opening to sticky middle. Sharply bitter and dry in the finish.

O: Interesting hop character along with the herbal tea. (592 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Golden cloudy color, nice head that dissipated quickly, slight lacing.

S- Fruity citrus smell, small hoppy sent and some tea aroma.

T- Yerba Mate taste dominates over the hops, not like most IPA's I've had but a different pleasant taste. Fruity and spicy maybe from the tea, but good! Slight malty taste.

M- Bitter taste throughout that lingers in your mouth. Good carbonation. Very Light

D- Very drinkable for an IPA, more of a summer beer.

This beer was good for a change of pace, not my top ten in the IPA area but interesting concept and happy to have tried it. Don't think it will be a constant beer in my fridge though. (633 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Qualifications for this review:

I am an avid drinker of yerba maté. I have an arsenal of gourds and bombillas, and have tried many many different brands and flavors of maté. (Let me even qualify that by saying that I typically am partial to good old unflavorted maté.) I know my maté. As an experiment, last week I tried putting just a few specks of maté leaf in with coffee while brewing, and I thought it was very obviously detectable.

Also, I am an avid drinker of double IPAs and like them as hoppy as they come. This comes at the expense of my fondness for normal IPAs that I would have liked had I not moved to California.

Review:

I could not detect any yerba maté by smell or taste, and I feel like I would have been able to detect it if it were there. It kind of made me sad. Other reviewers noted some tea-like flavors, but I didn't. It may have been because I was looking for the true kick of maté, yet didn't find it on the foretaste or aftertaste.

As for a review uninfluenced by my expectations, (not that that's possible), I thought this beer was reasonably good. It was a solid, flavorful, and interesting IPA. I probably won't buy it again for myself, but if I ever have any fellow maté drinkers visiting me, I'd say there's a chance I'd buy this to have them try. (1,293 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +1.2%

Received this brew from Gibby as an extra in a recent trade that he set up on another guy's behalf. I've never had Yerba Mate before and am very intrigued by the combination. Drank from my Northern Brewer pint glass while grilling and listening to Avenged Sevenfold.

Appearance- Pours a light orange with hints of yellow and a small yet frothy half finger bright white head. A small cap and collar remain the entire beer along with a few random spots of lacing.
Smell- Very earthy with a light somewhat noble hop profile. Grass and medicinal herbal notes upfront with a pinch of something orange-ish smelling behind. A cracker crumb base adds a touch of toast to the nose as well.
Taste- Much like the nose there is that sort of noble earthy bitterness upfront with a big grassy profile. The bitterness is fairly aggressive and I'm curious if any of that is the Yerba Mate. Towards the finish a touch of something light and citrusy kicks with a lemony note. The finish is quenchingly dry with maybe a touch of doughy malt.
Mouthfeel- Crisp and vibrant with a medium body and dry finish.
Drinkability- I'd definitely like a bit more hop 'flavors' without the somewhat unnecessary bitterness. No clue what the Yerba brings to the table but an interesting beer to say the least. Thanks much Jeff! (1,294 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ok, tea in an IPA. It seems this is neither a black tea nor a green tea, but I suspect it's more akin to green tea, with which I"m more familiar....anywho....

Pours a golden amber, clear and clean. Clinging head, white with some rockiness.

yeah, the tea is apparent, but not overly strong. Earthy and green, like greens; collard greens. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Pine and some citrus give it the IPA-ness. Malt is hard to detect through the tea stuff

Flavors give in to a pale malt, soft biscuit. The hops take over and give a dance of pine, earth and mostly citrus...some tropical. The bite of the hops and the tannins of the tea give a strange finish. The flavors the tea offers are apparent, but not dominant.

A nice IPA, I think I'd like it if I were on a beach somewhere. Not sure why...maybe it's the pirate-looking guy on the label (856 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a pleasant, burnished and slightly hazy deep golden colour, with a filmy and solid head of fine off-white. Lacing is a bit erratic, but pleasantly intricate where it forms. Body has some heft to it, and the carbonation is fine. Overall, it's a good-looking beer.

Aromas of soft fruit come through on the nose, with a touch more of earthiness and a twinge of tart dark berries. It gives it the slightly herbal qualities of an English hop aroma. That could be the Yerba Maté, but who knows. It's certainly not unpleasant, and it has a crispness that's really nice.

Taste is certainly a let-down, however. Absolutely minimal bitterness, and just a slide of almost jammy apricot flavour gives any indication of hops, or any other sort of addition. The body, as well, is thin and rather unappealing, giving a wet grain and slight organic note until it stops dead. Feel is light, but pricked with fine carbonation.

Not a bad drop, all up, but really nothing to get excited about. It's smooth and drinkable enough, but it leaves you wondering what the point is. (1,065 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear amber color with a rocky head; a few squiggles are left behind

Smell: The yerba mate dominates the aroma, with its vegetal, green tea character

Taste: A bit of piney hops and caramel malt up front, but the yerba mate quickly moves to the forefront, bringing its green tea, vegetal flavors; while the hops struggle to maintain balance, the caramel malt and the yerba mate are dominant in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with brisk carbonation

Overall: Well...glad I tried it but I just cannot get too excited about yerba mate in my beer (574 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured a hazy amber with an inch of loose white head that quickly receded to a thin film. Not much aroma, just a hint of caramel sweetness and some slight orange citrus.

Moderate carbonation and a relatively light mouthfeel. Subtle grassy hop presence with a hint of tea, spice, and a touch of honey sweetness. Very dry flavor that comes across a little watery or diluted. Drinkable, for sure, but not too much flavor impact. Malty body seems to overpower the IPA elements. (474 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast