Lucky Buddha Beer - The Lucky Drink Company

poor

The Lucky Drink Company visit their website
Australia

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: DogFood11 on 04-06-2007)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Reviews by notchucknorris:
notchucknorris

2.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Yeah, the bottle definitely won me over on this one. "Tractor beam...whooo."

A: Golden and clear with a thin white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Pale malts and faint grassy hops with some apple cider as well.

T: Pretty much a much more drinkable version of Bud Light. Grains and some bready malts with some lemon zest. For the style, it's actually not bad. I would take this over a lot of other beers in its class.

07-20-2011 02:30:35 | More by notchucknorris

Gear54

Indiana

3.11/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: pale yellow. No head or lace to speak of

S: Grass and wood are all I can come up with for this one. I cannot say I've ever came across a beer with this smell.

T: hops with a sweet finish. Orange peel maybe...

M: light mouth feel with a quick finish.

O: to me this is not worth buying another six pack. This pennies just ok.

07-18-2014 01:57:11 | More by Gear54

07-16-2014 18:03:10 | More by marmstrong1212
Finks1991

Oregon

4.59/5  rDev +70.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Saw this on display at Bevmo and couldn't help but try it... the bottle is beautiful and great to show off for guests, but that speaks for itself - on to the beer.

Light and flavorful lager, says "chinese style" but I don't know what that means - to me it was pretty similar to heineken, a great warm weather beer, but something that would also be easy to drink year round. I didn't get any of the skunky aroma / taste that a few people have mentioned - maybe those were left in the sun too long?

All in all, I would definitely buy this again if I'm having people over or want to show up somewhere with an interesting six pack.

07-15-2014 00:08:17 | More by Finks1991
Bethk81

Indiana

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. Except that I can only find one store in Indiana that sells it! The gimmicky bottle drew me in but the light, refreshing taste stole my heart. I'm not a fan of dark beers, and I do like a bit of lime or lemon in some.

07-14-2014 21:53:19 | More by Bethk81
DB75

4.63/5  rDev +72.1%

I was never a real beer drinker until last year. A friend started turning me on to different imported beers. I found that I just can't really tolerate domestic beers, any longer. The next thing I new, I'm a bit of a beer snob. I came across Lucky Buddha and was intrigued by the bottle. I purchased some and took it home - now this beer snob has another brew to add to his list of faves.

07-14-2014 21:31:08 | More by DB75
Drunkhammer

4.15/5  rDev +54.3%

I find this beer to have a nice combination of flavors that make it a good beer to enjoy bothah at the end of the day as well as at social events. The light golden color when poured and almost non existent head makes for a pleasureable glass of beer.

It has a smooth taste and lets face it the bottle is pretty cool.

07-14-2014 19:55:07 | More by Drunkhammer

07-12-2014 06:12:16 | More by wieshefe17
ordybill

Georgia

2.23/5  rDev -17.1%

Lucky Buddha was a disappointment for me. The bottle intrigued me and I bought a sixer. When I popped the cap on the first one the immediate skunky smell caught my attention. I got past the stale odor and gave it a shot. The beer's flavor matched perfectly with the smell. My next thought was that the beer was old or had been repeatedly chilled and warmed. I am sure the beer sells pretty well due to the bottle shape. but I suggest that anyone interested in this beer by a single first. I am not sure if I caught a bad six pack or that was the actual flavor being aimed for.

07-11-2014 00:13:36 | More by ordybill
drwatson32

07-10-2014 17:26:03 | More by drwatson32
barczar

Kentucky

3.14/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Brilliant golden color with nearly no head.

Aroma is grainy and slightly skunky, with a touch of floral hops.

Flavor follows suit, with a fairly bready background and definite skunky notes.

Body is fairly light, with moderate to high carbonation and a touch of alcohol warmth.

The skunky notes are offputting, but the overall background is pretty decent.

07-08-2014 00:41:46 | More by barczar
Socplayer5

4.28/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It's Heineken without the aftertaste. Very solid summer beer, light, crisp and nice finish. Great beer to bring to a party or an event. It's funny to sit back and watch people react to the bottle. Side note: my girlfriend likes it...quite possibly just because of the bottle. :)

07-07-2014 17:08:16 | More by Socplayer5
thehyperduck

Ontario (Canada)

2.59/5  rDev -3.7%

330 mL bottle picked up as a single at the LCBO, shaped like everyone's favourite bodhisattva; no freshness data provided. I mostly bought this for the bottle and cap, which I am presuming is not all that uncommon of a situation. Served well chilled.

Pours a clear, golden-yellow colour, topped with one half-inch of foamy white head that recedes almost instantaneously. A narrow collar and a few wisps of film on the surface are the only remnants. The aroma is boring and typical of the style; corny sweetness, pale malts, and not much else. This brew is not skunky, despite the green bottle, which makes me doubt the presence of any actual hops.

It tastes better than I was expecting, but that is more a function of the beer's general lack of flavour than anything else. Pale grain malts and rice provide some initial sweetness, but it becomes a little corny and gross toward the finish. A touch of wet hay also comes through, but the sweet corn flavour dominates for the most part. Light-bodied, but unusually creamy for the style, with fairly moderate carbonation levels. Easy to drink, at least.

Final Grade: 2.59, a crappy C-. The only thing Lucky Buddha Beer really has going for it is the bottle, and since I don't need more than one of these I sincerely doubt I'll ever purchase it again. The flavours are not overtly offensive - and that is the best praise I can come up with. Not the worst Chinese beer I've ever had, but I'd still take Tsingtao over this stuff. Pass.

07-03-2014 05:08:51 | More by thehyperduck
Beejay

3.2/5  rDev +19%

A: A pale honey or chardonnay color, crystal clear, with a nice soft full head of pure white, the head sticks around for a little while, before slowly falling into itself through it's center. Bonus points for the bottle.

S: Light grain notes, as well as a slight tart aroma in there as well. No discernible hop aroma, but also no skunk coming from this green bottle!

T: Easy drinking brew, some light grain flavor, and some bread notes. Light, but mostly pleasant..

M: Very light, with plentiful carbonation. Slight cling in the finish.

O: Overall this is pretty much spot on for the style, light, crisp, easy drinking, and somewhat boring.. RIngs true to character, and every now and then you have to have one. Beats Budlight.

06-29-2014 23:32:03 | More by Beejay
bhest71

1.28/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I picked a six pack up at World Market, mainly because the bottle is cool! It is your typical greenbottle lightstruck lager from Asia. Weak and watery with a slightly skunky smell. It probably would go perfect with a #36 at your local Chinese takeaway. The alcohol is a whopping 4.8. Not sweet and easy to drink. A forgettable beer. Nice bottle though!

06-22-2014 17:14:41 | More by bhest71