Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer - The Lucky Drink Company

The Lucky Drink Company visit their website
Australia

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: DogFood11 on 04-06-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer Alström Bros
3.02/5  rDev +8.6%

11.16 oz. Funky green bottle poured into a pils glass. Gift from father-in-law

A- clean, golden-straw body with loads of carb. White head quickly drops to a thin film. Decent stick.

S- sweet, like creamed corn. A little grassy and minty. Maybe a little floral.

T- definitely sweet. More of the corn flavor. Faint, grassy hops. Fairly crisp finish.

M- Clean and heavily carbonated (providing a tingle).

O- mostly a novelty beer for the cool bottle. Not the worst, but doesn't stand out. Probably not something I'd purchase again. (543 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: pale straw with a 1” rapidly dissipating head
S: Perfume and light grains, a dash of corn perhaps.
T: Has an appreciable level of malt character for a euro lager with traces of grain sweetness and a very mild bitter finish.
F: Medium light body, medium to medium low carbonation.
O: The beer is probably more interesting for the bottle than its contents. (363 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

330mL bottle into a Stella Chalice
no bottling dates

A: Crystal clear, very light pale yellow, just over 1/2 fingers width of white head dissipates down at a moderate rate and leaves only a few small patches of lacing. 3.25

S: Skunky, sweet malts, floral noble hop notes, 2.25

T: Adjunct-y, corn like, some sweet malts, subtle noble-type hop characters. Not very good at all. 2

M/D: Medium body, carbonation low and generally undercarbed, drinkability is low. 2.25

O: So I essentially just bought this for the cool ass bottle. Turns out that is by far the best part of this product. Beer is pretty bad, not a drain pour, but certainly nothing I would purchase again. Honestly one of the worst beers I've had in a while. At least I have this sick bottle to add to my collection! 2 (796 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -30.2%

Something my dad had in the fridge at his place cuz he "thought it was cool." Looks like piss. Smells of pungent apple cider vinegar, faint hint of acid. Tastes like a watered-down rancid apple juice. Down the drain it's going unless my fiance like it! 1/10

What she said: "Wow.. I did not expect that. Very mild, almost no aftertaste. I think that you would say that it's a watered-down beer, but I like it." 8/10 (415 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I tried this beer on St Patrick's Day Parade the Saturday before the holiday. I had seen the bottle several times before but never tried it. I highly recommend trying this beer, it's definitely worth the bottle as a souvenir. (225 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This beer is very light, smells like bong water, it has the taste of weed watered down/hemp. which is just horrible. On vacation visiting my parents my dad asked why I smelt like weed.....it was very awkward!

The only thing cool about the bottle is using it for crafts but the drink itself is horrible even if you like a light fizzy beer (338 characters)

Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer brewed by The Lucky Drink Company, with an ABV of 4.8% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. This brew has the look of american lager. The smell is sweet, with some grains and malts. Not much to the smell of this brew. The taste is rich with flavor. You pick up on grains in the taste of this brew. Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel of Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer is rich, smooth and refreshing. I like how smooth this brew goes down. This is nice drinking brew. Overall I'm giving Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer a 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again, thank you The Lucky Drink Company (731 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -30.2%

L: Looks very clear, golden and filtered lager. Mild white head with no retention.

S: Overwhelming skunky smell, nothing else. Skunk!

T: Very mild flavor, sweet.

F: Low body low carb.

O: Very bad beer in a very good looking bottle. (238 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%

This pours a clear, dark yellow color with a slight head. The aroma is very grainy. The taste is light and grainy. Very drinkable but not very flavorful. (153 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -23%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Makes a Budweiser look, smell and taste like a craft beer...The lion's share of this rating comes from the bottle itself; which was bought solely for the purposes of adding it to a friend's beer bottle collection. (213 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +2.2%

Great bottle, very typical Euro lager. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between this beer and most of the other green bottle lagers that are widely available. It goes well with stir fry, or when you need a conversation piece at a party. (244 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Very light. Not much flavor but, about what I expected. I'm new to ricebeer, it is noticable. I could drink this if the price was much lower on a hot day on the boat. Really cool bottle. Bought it in a mix n match and it was worth it for the bottle alone. (255 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -7.9%

This was just beer. There wasn't anything particularly good or bad about it. The bottle is great and makes it worth buying at least once, but only once. (152 characters)

Okay, the bottle is really, really cool. The beer isn't bad enough to be a '1', but it's very weak tasting and is better as a second or third beer, something to have when your taste buds are a little numb. Buy it for the bottle (which is currently on my shelf), and buy it only once. (283 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Golden, plenty of bubbles, thin head that vanishes without a trace.

Smell: Faint malt smell, like most lagers.

Taste: Malt up front, slightly skunky, which gets quite sweet towards the end. A bit of bitterness follows, and vanishes quickly.

Mouthfeel: Super high carbonation with a thin body, giving it the feel of seltzer water.

Overall: It’s thin and does not pack too much flavor. However, if you are drinking this, you are probably at a Chinese food restaurant, and the sweet flavor goes well with salty food. (531 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

I bought this because the bottle is just that cool. As for the beer it has a European, American Adjunct and Japanese rice beer vibe. It starts with that Euro skunky malt, cereal grain, corn sweetness and rice like finish. It's a very light tasting and light feel so you can drink a ton. (286 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

Transparent pale golden body with a quarter inch of white head. Rapidly ascending effervescence. Aromas of adjuncts, corn, yeast. Maybe it's me, but I'm not getting the nirvana supposedly found in this beverage. Maybe it's at the bottom of the glass. I don't think I have the willpower to drink that much. (305 characters)

one of the best tasting beers I've had in a long time. Goes great with any kind of food. Tastes like zen ... clean, pure a hint of sweetness and nicely carbonated. Very hard to find but well worth the search. Better than Tsing Tao. (242 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I love it when my local, in-person trader, tone77 stops by! I get spent CANs FFT Jeff Lebo, new CANs for me and bottles that I might never have bought myself, but which I always get a kick out of seeing in the box/six-pack holder/bag. This is certainly no exception!

I began with a heavy-handed pour since I was anxious to empty the bottle and begin rubbing the Buddha's belly for good luck. This resulted in two fingers of dense, puffy, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. It began to fall as I rubbed, leaving behind some nice lacing. Color was a pretty Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a light grassiness, which I can appreciate, just so long as corn is not also present as an adjunct. Something was slightly off with respect to the nose, but corn did not seem to be the cause. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, approaching medium. The taste was kind of grassy with a slight tartness, but as long as no corn was evident, I was happy. I have been mislead before and not been happy as a result. Finish was semi-dry with a light maltiness to go with its inherent grassiness. I found it pleasant and probably a good candidate for a lawnmower beer. Enlightenment was now mine! (1,225 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%

11.16-oz bottle into Pilsener glass

A - large head of white foam over a crystal-clear body of straw yellow, visible carbonation is moderate, decent web of lace

S - very grassy with a slight fruitiness

T - malt sweetness, light fruitiness, rice, grassy hops, dry finish

M - smooth light body with moderate carbonation

O - Lucky Buddha is a mediocre pale lager at best. Worth picking up one for the bottle, but I would not buy again. (436 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this at the Mandarin Bistro Chinese restaurant in Bloomingdale, IL. $4.75 for a 330ml green bottle in the shape of a laughing Buddah. A very cool looking bottle, but I'm sure you can buy it for less at a liquor store. The beer used to be made in Australia by the Lucky Drink Co., but it is now brewed and bottled in China.

The beer poured a clear medium gold color, but only made a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in under 30 seconds. There was some lacing, but it was minimal.

Pleasant smell despite the green bottle - no skunk at all, thankfully. Saaz hop aroma with some grassy notes and mild malt.

Tastes pretty much like a typical adjunct (rice) lager, with a little lemony touch and some sweeter than normal malt.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a decent, light, Asian lager that goes well with any style Chinese food. (861 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%

No freshness date. Poured into a tulip glass because it doesn't matter.

Appearance: Crystal-clear wheat colored water. Thin cap of nearly white suds. Not nearly as good-looking as the bottle itself.

Aroma: Could smell how skunky this beer is as soon as I popped the cap off. Can't get anything else but skunk from the aroma. Green bottle and all.

Taste: Real lack of skunky flavor, which feels like a rip-off after that aroma. But seriously, technically speaking there aren't any big flaws. It's quite clean. The flavor, though lacking, tastes very much like a euro adjunct lager. I'm guessing the adjunct is rice because corn tends to leave traces behind. There are actually some hops in here that come in strong for the finish, giving a very slight grass flavor and 12 IBUs, which feel more potent because of the incredibly light malt bill. Although I expect the carbonation helps play up the hop presence (see below). At 4.8% ABV it almost feels like the same flavor could be delivered with a much lower alcohol content. Virtually no aftertaste because it fades so quickly.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body and highly carbonated. The effervescence attacks the palate quite aggressively, which really ramps up the small amount of hop bitterness. This effect makes Lucky Buddha slightly less palatable than its light body would suggest but, nonetheless, it is still sessionable.

Final Thoughts: Lucky Buddha is a difficult beer to rate for taste. On the one hand it is bland and on the other hand there are no big flaws. So basically, it is an okay beer as far as adjunct lagers go. I try to judge a beers merit on how it fits within the style. Of course there are better pilsners, ones made with actual malt, but Lucky Buddha's not bad for a beer that had to travel half way around the world for me to taste it. Would I drink it again? Perhaps, it would be a great gimmick at a party. (1,882 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance - The beer is a pale straw color. The bottle is cool.

Smell - The aroma is a basic adjunct lager aroma of grass.

Taste - My initial impression is that this beer tastes like water with pixie sticks mixed in. Of course, we all know that mixture does not given you anything but funky tasting water. The aftertaste reminds me of a mouth full of Flinstones vitamins.

Mouthfeel - It is an easy drinker, just like water.

Overall - This is not the beer I expected to come from Buddha's belly. (499 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from an interesting green 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very skunky, don't know if it's the green bottle behind this or not. Taste is not skunky, in fact it's pretty light and mild. Some grains, a hint of sweetness, some malts. Feels light in the mouth and overall, not terrible, but a little lacking in the flavor department. (380 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: pale yellow. No head or lace to speak of

S: Grass and wood are all I can come up with for this one. I cannot say I've ever came across a beer with this smell.

T: hops with a sweet finish. Orange peel maybe...

M: light mouth feel with a quick finish.

O: to me this is not worth buying another six pack. This pennies just ok. (370 characters)

Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer from The Lucky Drink Company