Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer - The Lucky Drink Company

The Lucky Drink Company visit their website
Australia

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: DogFood11 on 04-06-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

I bought this because the bottle is just that cool. As for the beer it has a European, American Adjunct and Japanese rice beer vibe. It starts with that Euro skunky malt, cereal grain, corn sweetness and rice like finish. It's a very light tasting and light feel so you can drink a ton. (286 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

Transparent pale golden body with a quarter inch of white head. Rapidly ascending effervescence. Aromas of adjuncts, corn, yeast. Maybe it's me, but I'm not getting the nirvana supposedly found in this beverage. Maybe it's at the bottom of the glass. I don't think I have the willpower to drink that much. (305 characters)

one of the best tasting beers I've had in a long time. Goes great with any kind of food. Tastes like zen ... clean, pure a hint of sweetness and nicely carbonated. Very hard to find but well worth the search. Better than Tsing Tao. (242 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I love it when my local, in-person trader, tone77 stops by! I get spent CANs FFT Jeff Lebo, new CANs for me and bottles that I might never have bought myself, but which I always get a kick out of seeing in the box/six-pack holder/bag. This is certainly no exception!

I began with a heavy-handed pour since I was anxious to empty the bottle and begin rubbing the Buddha's belly for good luck. This resulted in two fingers of dense, puffy, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. It began to fall as I rubbed, leaving behind some nice lacing. Color was a pretty Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a light grassiness, which I can appreciate, just so long as corn is not also present as an adjunct. Something was slightly off with respect to the nose, but corn did not seem to be the cause. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, approaching medium. The taste was kind of grassy with a slight tartness, but as long as no corn was evident, I was happy. I have been mislead before and not been happy as a result. Finish was semi-dry with a light maltiness to go with its inherent grassiness. I found it pleasant and probably a good candidate for a lawnmower beer. Enlightenment was now mine! (1,225 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%

11.16-oz bottle into Pilsener glass

A - large head of white foam over a crystal-clear body of straw yellow, visible carbonation is moderate, decent web of lace

S - very grassy with a slight fruitiness

T - malt sweetness, light fruitiness, rice, grassy hops, dry finish

M - smooth light body with moderate carbonation

O - Lucky Buddha is a mediocre pale lager at best. Worth picking up one for the bottle, but I would not buy again. (436 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this at the Mandarin Bistro Chinese restaurant in Bloomingdale, IL. $4.75 for a 330ml green bottle in the shape of a laughing Buddah. A very cool looking bottle, but I'm sure you can buy it for less at a liquor store. The beer used to be made in Australia by the Lucky Drink Co., but it is now brewed and bottled in China.

The beer poured a clear medium gold color, but only made a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in under 30 seconds. There was some lacing, but it was minimal.

Pleasant smell despite the green bottle - no skunk at all, thankfully. Saaz hop aroma with some grassy notes and mild malt.

Tastes pretty much like a typical adjunct (rice) lager, with a little lemony touch and some sweeter than normal malt.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a decent, light, Asian lager that goes well with any style Chinese food. (861 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%

No freshness date. Poured into a tulip glass because it doesn't matter.

Appearance: Crystal-clear wheat colored water. Thin cap of nearly white suds. Not nearly as good-looking as the bottle itself.

Aroma: Could smell how skunky this beer is as soon as I popped the cap off. Can't get anything else but skunk from the aroma. Green bottle and all.

Taste: Real lack of skunky flavor, which feels like a rip-off after that aroma. But seriously, technically speaking there aren't any big flaws. It's quite clean. The flavor, though lacking, tastes very much like a euro adjunct lager. I'm guessing the adjunct is rice because corn tends to leave traces behind. There are actually some hops in here that come in strong for the finish, giving a very slight grass flavor and 12 IBUs, which feel more potent because of the incredibly light malt bill. Although I expect the carbonation helps play up the hop presence (see below). At 4.8% ABV it almost feels like the same flavor could be delivered with a much lower alcohol content. Virtually no aftertaste because it fades so quickly.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body and highly carbonated. The effervescence attacks the palate quite aggressively, which really ramps up the small amount of hop bitterness. This effect makes Lucky Buddha slightly less palatable than its light body would suggest but, nonetheless, it is still sessionable.

Final Thoughts: Lucky Buddha is a difficult beer to rate for taste. On the one hand it is bland and on the other hand there are no big flaws. So basically, it is an okay beer as far as adjunct lagers go. I try to judge a beers merit on how it fits within the style. Of course there are better pilsners, ones made with actual malt, but Lucky Buddha's not bad for a beer that had to travel half way around the world for me to taste it. Would I drink it again? Perhaps, it would be a great gimmick at a party. (1,882 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance - The beer is a pale straw color. The bottle is cool.

Smell - The aroma is a basic adjunct lager aroma of grass.

Taste - My initial impression is that this beer tastes like water with pixie sticks mixed in. Of course, we all know that mixture does not given you anything but funky tasting water. The aftertaste reminds me of a mouth full of Flinstones vitamins.

Mouthfeel - It is an easy drinker, just like water.

Overall - This is not the beer I expected to come from Buddha's belly. (499 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from an interesting green 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very skunky, don't know if it's the green bottle behind this or not. Taste is not skunky, in fact it's pretty light and mild. Some grains, a hint of sweetness, some malts. Feels light in the mouth and overall, not terrible, but a little lacking in the flavor department. (380 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: pale yellow. No head or lace to speak of

S: Grass and wood are all I can come up with for this one. I cannot say I've ever came across a beer with this smell.

T: hops with a sweet finish. Orange peel maybe...

M: light mouth feel with a quick finish.

O: to me this is not worth buying another six pack. This pennies just ok. (370 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +65.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Saw this on display at Bevmo and couldn't help but try it... the bottle is beautiful and great to show off for guests, but that speaks for itself - on to the beer.

Light and flavorful lager, says "chinese style" but I don't know what that means - to me it was pretty similar to heineken, a great warm weather beer, but something that would also be easy to drink year round. I didn't get any of the skunky aroma / taste that a few people have mentioned - maybe those were left in the sun too long?

All in all, I would definitely buy this again if I'm having people over or want to show up somewhere with an interesting six pack. (630 characters)

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. Except that I can only find one store in Indiana that sells it! The gimmicky bottle drew me in but the light, refreshing taste stole my heart. I'm not a fan of dark beers, and I do like a bit of lime or lemon in some. (264 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +66.2%

I was never a real beer drinker until last year. A friend started turning me on to different imported beers. I found that I just can't really tolerate domestic beers, any longer. The next thing I new, I'm a bit of a beer snob. I came across Lucky Buddha and was intrigued by the bottle. I purchased some and took it home - now this beer snob has another brew to add to his list of faves. (387 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +48.2%

I find this beer to have a nice combination of flavors that make it a good beer to enjoy bothah at the end of the day as well as at social events. The light golden color when poured and almost non existent head makes for a pleasureable glass of beer.

It has a smooth taste and lets face it the bottle is pretty cool. (317 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -21.6%

Lucky Buddha was a disappointment for me. The bottle intrigued me and I bought a sixer. When I popped the cap on the first one the immediate skunky smell caught my attention. I got past the stale odor and gave it a shot. The beer's flavor matched perfectly with the smell. My next thought was that the beer was old or had been repeatedly chilled and warmed. I am sure the beer sells pretty well due to the bottle shape. but I suggest that anyone interested in this beer by a single first. I am not sure if I caught a bad six pack or that was the actual flavor being aimed for. (576 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Brilliant golden color with nearly no head.

Aroma is grainy and slightly skunky, with a touch of floral hops.

Flavor follows suit, with a fairly bready background and definite skunky notes.

Body is fairly light, with moderate to high carbonation and a touch of alcohol warmth.

The skunky notes are offputting, but the overall background is pretty decent. (359 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It's Heineken without the aftertaste. Very solid summer beer, light, crisp and nice finish. Great beer to bring to a party or an event. It's funny to sit back and watch people react to the bottle. Side note: my girlfriend likes it...quite possibly just because of the bottle. :) (278 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -8.3%

330 mL bottle picked up as a single at the LCBO, shaped like everyone's favourite bodhisattva; no freshness data provided. I mostly bought this for the bottle and cap, which I am presuming is not all that uncommon of a situation. Served well chilled.

Pours a clear, golden-yellow colour, topped with one half-inch of foamy white head that recedes almost instantaneously. A narrow collar and a few wisps of film on the surface are the only remnants. The aroma is boring and typical of the style; corny sweetness, pale malts, and not much else. This brew is not skunky, despite the green bottle, which makes me doubt the presence of any actual hops.

It tastes better than I was expecting, but that is more a function of the beer's general lack of flavour than anything else. Pale grain malts and rice provide some initial sweetness, but it becomes a little corny and gross toward the finish. A touch of wet hay also comes through, but the sweet corn flavour dominates for the most part. Light-bodied, but unusually creamy for the style, with fairly moderate carbonation levels. Easy to drink, at least.

Final Grade: 2.55, a crappy C-. The only thing Lucky Buddha Beer really has going for it is the bottle, and since I don't need more than one of these I sincerely doubt I'll ever purchase it again. The flavours are not overtly offensive - and that is the best praise I can come up with. Not the worst Chinese beer I've ever had, but I'd still take Tsingtao over this stuff. Pass. (1,482 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +14%

A: A pale honey or chardonnay color, crystal clear, with a nice soft full head of pure white, the head sticks around for a little while, before slowly falling into itself through it's center. Bonus points for the bottle.

S: Light grain notes, as well as a slight tart aroma in there as well. No discernible hop aroma, but also no skunk coming from this green bottle!

T: Easy drinking brew, some light grain flavor, and some bread notes. Light, but mostly pleasant..

M: Very light, with plentiful carbonation. Slight cling in the finish.

O: Overall this is pretty much spot on for the style, light, crisp, easy drinking, and somewhat boring.. RIngs true to character, and every now and then you have to have one. Beats Budlight. (733 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -54%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I picked a six pack up at World Market, mainly because the bottle is cool! It is your typical greenbottle lightstruck lager from Asia. Weak and watery with a slightly skunky smell. It probably would go perfect with a #36 at your local Chinese takeaway. The alcohol is a whopping 4.8. Not sweet and easy to drink. A forgettable beer. Nice bottle though! (352 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a medium golden color with a one finger head of white foam and tons of big carbonation bubbles seen streaming up through the brew. The head has a very low level of retention, fading fast to leave almost no lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is very light with just a hint of a corn like sweetness as well some rice and a bit of grass.

Taste – The taste begins with a light corn sweetness mixed with some rice and a little bit of bread. Upfront there is also some light hay tastes as well as a faint grass flavor. As the taste advances the grass and hay fade all while the corn grows even more potent and sweet. In the end a sweet but moderately smooth flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is a bit on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. Bother are fantastic for the lighter and sweeter corn flavors of the beer making for a more refreshing feel.

Overall – Sort of standard run-of-the mill American lager. Cool bottle but not quite as cool contents. Just decent. (1,129 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a novelty Buddha bottle into a pint glass.

Clear pale yellow, no head to speak of.

Smells like a skunk. Hey, it's a green bottle light lager. I'd be stunned if it smelled any other way, to be honest. One builds up an odd anticipation of that skunked, lightstruck aroma, and it would be disappointing to not get it from a green bottle.

The taste is just about what one would expect. Very Heinekenesque, yet a bit creamier and not as crisp. It isn't awful by any means. It's just a simple light lager from a green bottle. Again, no surprise.

Mouthfeel is strangely creamy for the style, but not overly so. Otherwise it fits exactly what one would expect.

Overall, this isn't terrible. There are much better examples of the light lager style, hence the rating. It's made in China, so I suppose I have to hope there isn't some additive that will kill my dog the second I breathe on him, but otherwise it is decent. The novelty bottle is cute, and certainly an eye catcher on the shelf. Otherwise, worth trying once, but I can't see many going back for more. (1,073 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +13.3%

I came across this at local sushi place. Pleasant summertime beer. Reminds me of a light Mexican beer. It is presented in a fun bottle referred to as a Bhudda Bottle for its shape.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.] (323 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampled tonight on 3/12/14. Had this one before back in August, 2012. One of the coolest bottles out there that is embossed. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass (poolball 'Green 6').

Pours a straw-yellow in color with a very thin white head. Some light spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some sweet corn and maybe rice grains but that is about it. Slight 'skunky' as is super common for beers in a green bottle for some reason. The taste is actually more complex though light-bodied with a light sweetness from the corn and rice grains. No bitter or harsh aftertaste to speak of. Perfect carbonation. Overall, the cool embossed bottle is a keeper and worth that extra half a point higher rating I gave this one which was included in the rating. :) (810 characters)

2.81/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light straw yellow color with a white, short lived frothy head. A bit of lace is left on the glass. Aroma of creamed corn, husk and clean, euro like malts. The taste is much the same. Bready, corn flake flavor and scarce leafy hop. Light, sugary body and real sweet. Overall, not too bad, not good either. (313 characters)

Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer from The Lucky Drink Company