Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer - The Lucky Drink Company

poor

The Lucky Drink Company visit their website
Australia

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: DogFood11 on 04-06-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Lucky is brewed by an Australian company!? WTF? Why? Anyhow, these thoughts aside the bottle appeals to my inner Buddha with the Budai "xiaofo" (which means "laughing Buddha" in Chinese) shaped bottle. So regardless of how the beer goes I have a bottle I can keep for later use (maybe I'll put my own homebrew in it).

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a 500ml Stein glass.

A: This brew has a hazy body that borders on pale yellow, fairly Asian lager looking. The white head reduces down to leave a mild lacing.

S: Rice and malt grains combine with fresh cut grass aromas to provide a pleasant (at least for an adjunct lager) odour. I wouldn't compare it to the sweet smell of a Belgian tripel but it's OK.

T: The malt is upfront, followed by sharp rice wine flavours and ending with Saaz hops (a hint that is). It's crisp and dry with a light bitterness. There's nothing big about it but I can see the appeal; it's clearly made to complement a hot day or a light meal.

M: Lighter on carbonation than most lagers (both Asian and international varieties). The body doesn't feel watery either, so that's a plus.

D: I know what you're thinking. "Did he enjoy the beer or did he not?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement reviewing I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a typical Asian lager, one of the most drinkable lager types in the world, and would blow your palate clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Did I enjoy lucky? Well, did I, punk? ... yeah sure I did, it was alright, a straight "C".

Food match: Light Chinese fare and classic Japanese food would work well, or if you wanted to mix it up a little you could even mix it with modest flavoured food like a Vichyssoise. These northern Asian adjunct lagers work well with cuisine that is light in flavour.

doktorhops, Sep 17, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Straw yellow appearance with little head that quickly fizzes away leaving some lacing. Smell consists of grain, grass, sweetness and some malt. Pretty average so far.

Taste is similar, mainly grain, corn, sweetness and grassiness. Picked up a small hint of hops and spices, very light overall but creamy. Light bodied with low carbonation. Aftertaste has a lingering bitter grass taste, but fairly dry overall.

Overall this is a very generic, has many features of a cheap adjunct beer. It is highly drinkable though and with nothing offensive. Worth a try if you’re eating spicy food, or if you want the bottle.

CrazyMike, Sep 10, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -11.8%

A - straw near white yellow, head started strong but dissipated fairly quickly leaving random soapy lacing
S - corn, adjunct, metallic, smells like a typical cheap beer
T - much like the nose, slightly tang to it but is generally bland
M - watery and thin
O - the buddha shaped bottle is the only thing that will sell this beer, and I imagine it will mostly be one time purchases, what a waste

joemcgrath27, Sep 04, 2011
2.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance is a light straw color with a quick fizzy head with carbonation rising to the top that fades quickly. Smell of slight skunk, rice and a turpentine note with light hops. Taste is light and clean finishing dry with rice in the back. Mouthfeel is light with a good spike of carbonation. Actually not to bad, would like to try it on tap.

Bookseeb, Aug 31, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -57.7%

A: Transparent yellow with whit foam and bubbles

S: Grassy, sweet, grain, weirdly metallic, just strange.

T: Grassy, cloying, grassy, adjunct flavors of corn and rice syrup… just plain bad. Horrid. It's like... rotten or something (and no I don't mean to imply the beer has gone bad, I think this is how it was meant to be). It literally is making me cringe with every sip. I think I need a doctor.

M: Bubbly and coating yet somehow thin at the same time. Feels like drinking fermented high fructose corn syrup.

O: No. Don’t do it. Don’t be fooled by the cool bottle. Want an Asian beer, get some Asahi or Tsingtao or Tiger. Thing is, I've had adjunct lagers that were drinkable (such as Mickey's) but this garbage is just unbearable. Ugh, it's coating my mouth like some kind of undissolvable oil.

Chyren, Aug 27, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -34.6%

Ugh, was it Bobby or Patrick that shared this beast? Either way, you suck.

A: The beer is a pale straw color with a short lived white head.

S: A distinct aroma of cigarettes and skunk. It's quite vegetal with plenty of corn. There's a bit of garbage water to it which only makes things better. Strangely, some grapes and corn syrup.

T: At least the flavor isn't quite as atrocious. Straw and corn are the biggest contributors. Not much in the way of cigarettes, though there still is some old vegetable smell to it. It's also sort of watery.

M: Very light in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Yeah, the bottle might be cool, but this beer is not good at all.

womencantsail, Aug 08, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +2.9%

Bought it because of the bottle, as I suspect many others did.

A-Pee yellow with a fizzy thin head. Soapy lacing.

S-Corn, cheap adjunct grains. Smells cheap and unappealing.

T/M-Dry and crisp, with typical adjunct sweetness. To this beer's credit though, it isn't nearly as sweet as many other adjunct lagers. Very generic. Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

O-Not much to say about this one. Boring, not too bad.

DaveHS, Aug 01, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Yeah, the bottle definitely won me over on this one. "Tractor beam...whooo."

A: Golden and clear with a thin white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Pale malts and faint grassy hops with some apple cider as well.

T: Pretty much a much more drinkable version of Bud Light. Grains and some bready malts with some lemon zest. For the style, it's actually not bad. I would take this over a lot of other beers in its class.

notchucknorris, Jul 20, 2011
2.73/5  rDev +0.4%

I like I am sure everyone else purchased this beer just based on the bottle.

Look: yellow with a very light head and no retention. Not impressed

Smell: Right off the bat you can tell it is a asian lager. It is a bit skunky malty and has a light hop note to it with traces of rice

Taste. Taste is a typical asian lager. Very muted flavors covered up mostly by the maltyness

Mouthfeel: Light crisp clean and boring

Overall: This beer is more like a novelty item since everyone just buys it for the bottle and that is really the only reason to buy this

DarthKostrizer, Jul 16, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

I poured this from a height of 2 inches or so above the glass giving me a pretty decent big white head that quickly fell into a nice lacing. A semi-carbonated clear wet straw colored lager with a strong sour lemon yeasty aroma reminds me of Heineken (does this happen to all beers in green bottles-if so why the green bottle)

The taste mellows from the aroma but is a light sour with some light grain malts and a very slight yeast coming through.

A light bodied beer with a light lemon pucker dry aftertaste.

I'd have to pass on drinking much of this, but if you're a Heineken fan you'll probably dig this stuff.

LXIXME, Jul 10, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz green buddha pours me a little somethin' somethin’ light yellow with one of the quickest fading heads I have ever seen. Appearance gets a whole point bump just because it comes in the coolest bottle I have ever seen.

Nose is lightstruck hops and grainy malt. Pretty clean, a little sweet and definitely has some adjuncts in play.

Taste is not too bad, the sweetness sticks out for me, so light...like watered down honey. Very little hops involved and the malts are lighter than a feather. Im sure they will sell plenty of this just due to the bottle, give them credit for a clever gimmick. The beer pretty much sucks, and I am more than happy to limit my intake to 1. I saw a sixer of it for 10 bucks at a local grocer, thats a bit absurd if you ask me.

twiggamortis420, Jun 25, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +6.6%

I couldn't resist the bottle! I'm not expecting very much from the beer, but the bottle is just hilarious! While BA says this is made in Australia, my bottle (labled "Lucky Buddha") says made in China.

This beer pours a pale straw colour similar to other Asian-style lagers. Virtyally no head and lots of big bubbles floating up to the top.

The aroma is surprisingly less skunky than I expected. It smells mostly of grain...corn... Though the there is a vague malt characteristic. There is something "sharp" about the aroma as well, though I'm not sure exactly what it is.

The flavour is not too bad! I have a bit of a soft spot for Asian lagers, so I might be biased towards liking this one more than I "should" as a beer geek. It is quite light, and fairly sweet. The taste is mostly grainy, though there are some toasty aspects too. The aftertaste is slightly astringent due to the heavy carbonation.

Overall, this isn't a horrible brew, and it is quite refreshing. My only reservation is the price! If I could get this for cheap, I would certainly buy it again...if only for the bottle.

evlu1441, Jun 22, 2011
2.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle from BevMo in Livermore, CA and yes the bottle shape was the reason for buying it

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that leaves some spotty lacing behind

S - Is of sweet grainy malt and the ever so common slight skunk associated with the green bottle

T - Like the nose it starts with sweet grainy malt with some grassy hops in the finish although not much

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbon to it

O - This really isn't a bad beer however it's pretty average for the style the taste is decent enough to make it easy to drink on a hot day yeah I bought it because of the novelty laughing Buddha bottle not expecting much but I'm not disappointed

armock, Jun 03, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +15.1%

According to my bottle label, this is brewed and bottled by Cheerday Brewery in China....I've added their company profile and this brew as well....I have posted this review in both locations.

A- This is the coolest bottle I've ever seen....it's green and shaped like a fat laughing Buddah....simply wonderful! The product itself...well it looks like adjunct lager, in color and carbonation at least....it's a grassy pale color and there lots of large bubbles rising, albeit not aggressively. There is actually a decent head that sticks around, settling to a super white film. Lacing is moderate, but I've seen worse....the bottle is what keeps this area higher in points.

S- To me this is quite skunky throughout. I suppose it has some mild aromas of citrus rind, but it is primarily of grain and sweet/bland corn and/or rice. There is also a slight zesty hop bitterness right on the finish of the smell.

T- Like several other Chinese brews I've had the chance to sample, this one isn't anything to write home about. It has a sweeter malt profile than I would have expected, but the middle turns to a dry herbal flavor and the finish is a little metallic. There is also a lingering corn muffin flavor on the palate after the swallow.

M- Thin, watery and palate scrubbing is the ideal description for this brew...not much else to say here other than that it's very typical of a Chinese brewed Lager.

D- What can I say? This one is super easy to drink and is another one of those beers that is perfect for summer drinking on the patio. It's nothing special and certainly not worth the extra money to go out and buy regularly though. With that said, I would drink this again....I will probably keep the bottle as it's very unique

ChrisCage, May 12, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -19.1%

Tasted April 30th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip

A - clear golden, no head, white in color and minimal lacing

S - pungent, yeasty, sour, weed, lemon grass, a slight hop and pretty malty

T - weed, malt, a bit of hops, light yeast and a bit sour

M - light, low acid, no finish and a bit sour

D - drinks like bud and miller. Just add a bit of weed and sour

Final thought - cool bottle, okay beer

whatthehull, May 03, 2011

Lucky Beer pours a pale yellow with a white head from a green 330 ml Buddha shaped bottle (very cool bottle). The aroma is a bit grainy but definitely on the mild side. The flavor is also grainy with a bit of sweetness. Unoffensive, the bottle is the most interesting thing about this beer.

Drew966, May 01, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from probably the coolest shaped commercial beer bottle I've ever seen, and I'm a glassblower, it takes a bit to impress me in that dep't. Kudos to the marketing company on the design. 330 ml green bottle supposedly shaped like a happy Buddha, but the same mistake everyone else makes, this is actually one of the 8 Chinese immortals. C'mon people, the Buddha nearly starved himself to death and then spent the rest of his life begging for his meals, he wasn't fat...

Mistaken iconography aside the beer itself pours out a pale clear washed out straw hue, massive white head with decent retention for this style, it settles slowly to a thick frothy cap.

Bready malt and some faint grain on the nose, not bad, until some chemical traces can be picked up farther in the background.

Mild bready malt up front in the flavour, gets thin and watery in the middle, crisp grainy finish that also carries a bit of a chemical burn as well, while the chemicals linger on into the aftertaste.

Light-bodied mouthfeel, slick and thin much of the time, with a brisk amount of carbonation on the finish.

Perhaps a little cleaner than your average Chinese import, yet not something worth seeking out, unless it's for the bottles themselves. Those are some pretty cool bottles, and are my favourite part of this experience.

IronDjinn, Apr 24, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +18.8%

330ml green smiling buddha shaped bottle, with "Lucky" the only front-facing text visible.

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale straw colour, with two fingers of thin foamy, fizzy white head, which quickly retreats, leaving some decent scatter-shot lace around the glass. It smells of pale malt, overripe apple, candy floss, and a bit of grassy, weedy hops. The taste is sweet rice pudding grain, more apple orchard musty fruitiness, and some moderately skunky earthy hops. The carbonation is on the low side, the body light, a little thin, but otherwise smooth. It finishes fairly clean, a bit off-dry, the rice cracker grain lording over some latent weedy hops.

By far the best Chinese beer that I've had, which admittedly isn't saying much, as such things are indeed relative. Add in the funky Buddha green bottle (shout out to heavy drinking E-Towners, there), and this is a veritable step up from your usual AAL suspects, especially those from foreign countries that somehow out-suck the American progenitors.

biboergosum, Apr 23, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -1.5%

super cool green Buddha 330ml bottle poured into pint glass april22 2011

A pale golden yellow with plenty of bubbles feeding a off white film that leaves just a few specks of lace

S grassy hops with a little bubble gum

T a little lemon and skunk with what I smell

M light and thin

O tastes a little light struck but not the worst beer I've had recently

the bottles the best part of this beer, I could see this being decent if it didn't have a skunk flavor but I may rub the belly for luck and all will be well

wordemupg, Apr 23, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -27.2%

My bottle says "Brewed and Bottled by Cheerday Brewery Chunan County, Zhejiang, China".
Looks exactly like you expect from an AAL. Pale yellow, white head that goes fast, and lots of carbonation. The only way I can describe the smeel is off. Worse than the Buds,Molson and Labatts. The taste of rotten lemons on my water is equivalent to this. Thankfully, this is such a light beer that it leaves no trace of itself afterwards. Cool bottle, which is why I bought it, but will not be picking up again.

spree92, Apr 08, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -29%

Silly bottle, I had to buy it.

It pours a pale honey gold with a fizzy white head, actually looks good for an adjunct lager.

The smell is light and citrusy, again, suprising.

The taste is awful, it tastes like rotten food with some sake and mineral water for good measure.

crossovert, Jan 20, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -27.2%

12/12/09 stamped on the bottle. Brewed and bottled in China. Poured into a sampler glass with virtually no head. Aroma of virtually nothing...rice? Fizzy taste with a touch of corn flakes or rice. No flavor at all here. Miller Lite puts this to shame, and that hurts to type.

RustyDiamond, Jul 19, 2010

Beer review from BA Mag Sep 2007.

Lucky is actually brewed by Australian Independent Brewers, who specialize in contract brewing. We got our bottle in Sydney, and it's actually shaped like a laughing Buddha. Word is, it'll be making an appearance in US clubs as a "high-end" beer soon. It's actually an Asian-style Lager, brewed with rice, malted barley and Czech Saaz hops.

Pours a pale golden color that's a touch hazy, crowned with creamy white lacing. Soft aroma of pale malts, apples and some spicy Saaz. Smooth and creamy on the palate, very light with a fluffy carbonated mouthfeel. Seems to fall flat somewhere in the middle. Hint of malty sweetness up front with notes of apple, vegetal hints, boiled rice and slight grassy bitterness that gives the beer some backing. Dries out into a coarse hay-like finish.

Fans of Asahi or Kirin beers might enjoy this one. It's extremely easy to drink, the bottle is pretty damn cool and pairing it with nearly any Asian food is a no-brainer since it's so neutral. But it could use a cleaner finish, better hop presence and more carbonation to be a worthy contender within its style--doesn't come across very lager-like.

BeerAdvocate, Jul 07, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

mad props to the bottle design but as soon as poured this and got a whiff, i knew i was in for a crappy experience

a: no head; straw color; some light bubbles;

s: light dry wheat; some sweet hay; weak weak; light skunkiness

t: dry wheat; sweet hay; light skunkiness; again, weak flavor but for an adjunct lager it is to be expected

m: maybe a little more body/syrupiness than others in the style; tight aggressive carb

d: don't be tempted by the cool bottle, you will absolutely regret it

hoegaardenhero, May 17, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -18%

Appearance - This is a piss yellow in color with no head to speak of.

Smell - The ricey grain is thankfully quite weak and there's some rotten taffy in there somewhere.

Taste - This isn't repulsive like I thought it was going to be. It has so little flavor you can't really hate it but there's just nothing to it. The rice from the nose kind of turned into moldy grits and that putrid sweetness from the nose is almost absent thankfully. Think beer saki.

Mouthfeel - This is light-bodied with surprisingly little carbonation.

Sinkability - I guess we can thank the Chinese for importing this Australian disaster here to the US.

RoyalT, Mar 09, 2010