Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer - The Lucky Drink Company

poor

The Lucky Drink Company visit their website
Australia

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: DogFood11 on 04-06-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -0.4%

No freshness date. Poured into a tulip glass because it doesn't matter.

Appearance: Crystal-clear wheat colored water. Thin cap of nearly white suds. Not nearly as good-looking as the bottle itself.

Aroma: Could smell how skunky this beer is as soon as I popped the cap off. Can't get anything else but skunk from the aroma. Green bottle and all.

Taste: Real lack of skunky flavor, which feels like a rip-off after that aroma. But seriously, technically speaking there aren't any big flaws. It's quite clean. The flavor, though lacking, tastes very much like a euro adjunct lager. I'm guessing the adjunct is rice because corn tends to leave traces behind. There are actually some hops in here that come in strong for the finish, giving a very slight grass flavor and 12 IBUs, which feel more potent because of the incredibly light malt bill. Although I expect the carbonation helps play up the hop presence (see below). At 4.8% ABV it almost feels like the same flavor could be delivered with a much lower alcohol content. Virtually no aftertaste because it fades so quickly.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body and highly carbonated. The effervescence attacks the palate quite aggressively, which really ramps up the small amount of hop bitterness. This effect makes Lucky Buddha slightly less palatable than its light body would suggest but, nonetheless, it is still sessionable.

Final Thoughts: Lucky Buddha is a difficult beer to rate for taste. On the one hand it is bland and on the other hand there are no big flaws. So basically, it is an okay beer as far as adjunct lagers go. I try to judge a beers merit on how it fits within the style. Of course there are better pilsners, ones made with actual malt, but Lucky Buddha's not bad for a beer that had to travel half way around the world for me to taste it. Would I drink it again? Perhaps, it would be a great gimmick at a party.

JamesMN, Jul 30, 2014

ronnie-emily, Jul 29, 2014
2.34/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance - The beer is a pale straw color. The bottle is cool.

Smell - The aroma is a basic adjunct lager aroma of grass.

Taste - My initial impression is that this beer tastes like water with pixie sticks mixed in. Of course, we all know that mixture does not given you anything but funky tasting water. The aftertaste reminds me of a mouth full of Flinstones vitamins.

Mouthfeel - It is an easy drinker, just like water.

Overall - This is not the beer I expected to come from Buddha's belly.

JohnnyHopps, Jul 28, 2014
2.81/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from an interesting green 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very skunky, don't know if it's the green bottle behind this or not. Taste is not skunky, in fact it's pretty light and mild. Some grains, a hint of sweetness, some malts. Feels light in the mouth and overall, not terrible, but a little lacking in the flavor department.

tone77, Jul 28, 2014

D_toxic_AVENGER, Jul 18, 2014

Exeter, Jul 18, 2014
3.11/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: pale yellow. No head or lace to speak of

S: Grass and wood are all I can come up with for this one. I cannot say I've ever came across a beer with this smell.

T: hops with a sweet finish. Orange peel maybe...

M: light mouth feel with a quick finish.

O: to me this is not worth buying another six pack. This pennies just ok.

Gear54, Jul 18, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

dpage27, Jul 17, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

marmstrong1212, Jul 16, 2014
4.59/5  rDev +69.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Saw this on display at Bevmo and couldn't help but try it... the bottle is beautiful and great to show off for guests, but that speaks for itself - on to the beer.

Light and flavorful lager, says "chinese style" but I don't know what that means - to me it was pretty similar to heineken, a great warm weather beer, but something that would also be easy to drink year round. I didn't get any of the skunky aroma / taste that a few people have mentioned - maybe those were left in the sun too long?

All in all, I would definitely buy this again if I'm having people over or want to show up somewhere with an interesting six pack.

Finks1991, Jul 15, 2014

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. Except that I can only find one store in Indiana that sells it! The gimmicky bottle drew me in but the light, refreshing taste stole my heart. I'm not a fan of dark beers, and I do like a bit of lime or lemon in some.

Bethk81, Jul 14, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +70.8%

I was never a real beer drinker until last year. A friend started turning me on to different imported beers. I found that I just can't really tolerate domestic beers, any longer. The next thing I new, I'm a bit of a beer snob. I came across Lucky Buddha and was intrigued by the bottle. I purchased some and took it home - now this beer snob has another brew to add to his list of faves.

DB75, Jul 14, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +53.1%

I find this beer to have a nice combination of flavors that make it a good beer to enjoy bothah at the end of the day as well as at social events. The light golden color when poured and almost non existent head makes for a pleasureable glass of beer.

It has a smooth taste and lets face it the bottle is pretty cool.

Drunkhammer, Jul 14, 2014