666 - Diamond Knot Brewery

Washington, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 02-09-2013

3.7/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium russet amber with a half finger off-white head that dissipates quickly to a thin film and thick ring around the glass, leaving lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, mild dark fruit, oak, leaning towards barleywine territory. Flavor is mildly oxidized caramel malt, grassy hops, dark dried fruit, faint Belgian spicing with wet forest earthy woodiness and biscuit malt. Medium bodied. This is an odd ale, almost tasting like a doppelbock or mild barleywine that has aged just a bit over its peak. On the other hand, I like the balance of flavors and although I would like a bit more intensity, I enjoyed drinking it. Idiosynchratic, but interesting if you like aged malt.

3.09/5  rDev +3%

Thanks Spence for finding this for me when I was out of town during its release.
Poured dark reddish brown into a tulip. Abundant head. Retains well, decent lace.

Aroma very sweet. Overwhelming smells of caramel candy. Not horrible and a harbinger of things to come.

Taste caramel, smooth sweetness. Comes across much better than the smell. Was quite enjoyable at first but didn't grow on me. Cloying sweetness wares me down eventually.

Like the taste, mouthfeel was enjoyable enough at first but no follow through. A little too sweet for my taste. A little more balance would have been nice. No hop presence at all.

A swing and a miss for Diamond Knot

2.58/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle opened on 2.15.13

A - Pours a hazy medium brown with a one and a half inch tan fine bubbled head with good retention.

S - Carmel, toffee, wood, faded hops. All over the place.

T - Wood, old hops, carmel. Unsettling.

D - Medium carbonation with a medium to heavy body.

O - A bit all over the place. Not really that tasty of a balance.

2.51/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Poured a super cloudy brownish caramel color with some floaties and a tannish cap which fades leaving mere bubbles and decent lacing. The appearance is the best part of this beer sadly.

S: Nose was a letdown. I picked up some old wood and Earthiness, some once bittering hops and faded caramel, cocoa and this is a stretch!

T: Not sure what is going on here. If I could tell you I placed one solid tasting note besides old, faded bittering hops and some past its prime woody Earthiness I would be lying. Its plain, unappealing nothing to distinguish this beer at all.

M: It felt full, well carbonated but again its stagnant on flavor. Old wood and Earth, bittering hops, tinge of booze on the palate. Somewhat coating.

O: This beer did not need 666 days of age. Not sure what happened here but I am pissed off that I paid $8 for this bomber. I am even more pissed that I paid $20 for a growler of DK IIPA last weekend that was horrid. Stay away and drop your money a better quality Old Ale or whatever this concoction is.

666 from Diamond Knot Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.