Pile O' Dirt Porter - Crow Peak Brewing

Crow Peak Brewing visit their website
South Dakota, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-22-2010

This robust porter is black in color, is medium-bodied and has a rich, roasted malt flavor ending with a pleasing hop flavor and mild hop bitterness.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to Nate for the chance to add SD to my list of states,

A-Pours a deep, dark brown with a thin mocha pool of head.

S-A good roasted coffee nose promises a tasty beverage.

T-Very nicely roasty with a nice undertone of sweetness. The bitterness lingers nicely with some earthy hop bite.

M-Medium bodied, somewhat light carbonation.

O-I liked this one a lot. Sweet, roasty, just a bit rich.

HV (403 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours dark brown with deep blood-red highlights through the light that settles to an almost black color with a mocha head that fell quickly with some spotty thin lacing behind. Smells of dark bitter chocolate, roasted barley, toasted smokey notes. The taste is bolder than the smell bringing on nice roastiness, bitter and chocolately, both from the dark malt and hops it seems, also a hint of smoke comes through ever so slightly. Pretty low carbonation and silky medium body form this porter's mouthfeel. This is a nice porter out of a can (my first porter out of a can, actually,). Snagged a couple sixers of this among other cans to take camping and I'm glad I did, should be nice to drink around the fire with good company.

Cheers! (738 characters)

Dark black, opaque beer with a velvety brown head that dissipates fairly fast. Roasted barley and coffee in the nose with slightly burnt note over a light hop spice. Smooth taste with the coffee predominates and finishes bitter. Carbonation seems a bit high for the style, but the mouthfeel is very satisfying and rich. Nice porter that favors flavors that bite. Might be the part that's turning a few good reviews downward. But, I was very happy to buy this porter in Sioux Falls and like it a lot--and not just because it was the best thing in South Dakota! (559 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a dark brown with a small tan colored head that dissipates quickly leaving behind very small bits of lacing.

S: A good bit of roasted malt, some coffee, and a touch of cocoa. The roasty aroma dominates.

T: Similar to the aroma, lots of big, roasty malt, coffee, and some chocolate. There is some bitterness on the backend that balances things out a bit.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, pretty smooth and easy drinking.

O: A pretty good porter, not overly sweet, and easy drinking. Love a porter in a can, makes me happy. (569 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to Chris for sending this my way.

Appearance: dark brown black with a 2 finger mocha head

smell: roast, black patent, coffee,

taste: roast, coffee, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body,

overall: a nice porter. Enjoyed the smooth texture and clean finish. Glad I finally got to try it.

cheers,
The CPJ (351 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Deep and dark brown color with a head of mocha suds that are tiny and creamy looking. Some nice lacing.

A very chocolatey nose with notes of roasted malt and coffee with cream.

Much like the nose here. Very milk stout like. Roasty malts with coffee, cream and cocoa nib notes. A light lactose like sweetness. Very good.

Smooth as hell with some lactose creaminess. Medium bodied.

This is a really nice porter. Like I said before, this almost fits the category of milk stout. Either way, I am liking it. Full of flavor and very drinkable. A job well done Crow Peak. (568 characters)

another goodie i had the pleasure of trying from a nice south dakota brewery. a warm porter to put me to bed. consumed on 5.16.11

Did not really know what to think of this one when I first got it, but I normally love porters so I figured it was a worthy challenge to see where this one would hold up. Poured a very nice deep dark brown, nearly black and opaque with a smallish, maybe one inch white to off white head on top. This faded gradually leaving behind a nice amount of side glass lace. Smell was very sweet, nice hints of nuts and caramel, along with a roasted barley. The taste was very smooth, and rich and creamy. Very nice caramel flavor with a hint of coffee. Roasted nuts in the back with a very hoppy finish. This actually snuck up on me and I thought it was remnants of the IPA from dinner I thought I was tasting, but it actually had quite the dry hoppy finish. A great medium body with smooth carbonation gave way to a great session porter.

Overall this was pretty good. A touch above average for a porter, but overall more then decent. Would definitely not turn it down if it was offered again, a nice little brew here I would have never thought of trying. (1,179 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks goes out to luxbwin for this brew.

Pours a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is very malty, with some chocolate/toffee notes. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, very nice touch of chocolate/toffee. Medium Body, smooth, slight dry/bitter finish. This is a very nice Porter. (372 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

Crow Peak Brewing Company, Spearfish, South Dakota, Handcrafted in the Black Hills. Alcohol 6% by volume. As mentioned in a previous post, I can't imagine what was in their heads when they okayed this name. "Pile-o-Dirt"? What? Doesn't even sing. Thuds. Clunks. Sits. Ah, well. Let's crack and slurp.

Solid stygian appearance, no light escapes. Small brown, espresso-toned head, slims down, but stays.

Aroma, roasted malt and cocoa. Bittersweet espresso tinges, slightly sweeter chocolate edges. Very even, mellow, nice.

Taste: smooth on the palate, slight bitterness, good malt, with hardly a sweet note anywhere. Excellent balance, even tempered. Cola tints here and there, medium bodied, not too full, not too rich, just right, as porter ought to be, right? Hold together just so, and continues to deliver flavor.

I do like this, and would be very happy if I were a frustrated South Dakotan dark beer lover, encountering this for the first time. This is the first packaged SD brew I've ever had, apart from a brewpub growler, years ago. I hope Crow Peak does well. That would be a good omen for the craft beer community at large. Next up…North Dakota??? (1,164 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Is this motor oil in a can? Wow, this comes out thick and it is dark--not just dark, it is black; there is a thick, beautiful head that has decent retention; lacing clings beautifully to the glass; this really is a great looking beer

S: Typical porter aromas: roasted malts--slightly burnt with a touch of coffee, vanilla, and chocolate, plus some dark fruits; but in the end it's a bit subdued

T: A nice balance of roasted malts and coffee and a sweet vanilla, dark chocolate--even slightly boozy--character; there is a touch of a medicinal flavor that doesn't turn me off; finally there are some burnt grassy flavors as the beer finds its way down the hatch

F: This is a creamy beer that still manages to hold on to the side of the mouth as you move it down; nicely thick and creamy

O: This is a nice porter from South Dakota and it's one that I can see myself buying again when I'm stuck with family in the middle of South Dakota (939 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Thanks to a77cj7 on this one.

A: pours a dark brown porter with little translucency. Transient head whit dissappears and leaves a couple spots of burnt cream bubbles. No lacing.

S: Bit of cardboard on this one (oxidation?). There's plenty of dry malts and hints of dark cocoa nose, along a hint of milk choco feel. The cardboard keeps coming back.

T: Nice. Creamy, cocoa, graham, dark malts. Plenty of leftover resonance on the back end. I like the dry flavor despite the cream tones.

M: Medium body and medium carb. Good mouthfeel in that the beer makes my tongue feel the sense of possible milkiness, but then the finish is quite dry.

O: I think the beer is well crafted. The problem is in the packaging here. There is obvious oxidation and thats an issue. The look could use a little help (maybe some head, lacing), this issue's resolution could offer more opportunity in the nose as well. (897 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Black, very black, with a finely bubbled dark brown head. This is like imperial stout black, no light coming through, but the head is much larger than I would expect on a stout, but just about perfect on a porter.

S: Lot's of coffee and dark chocolate roast in here. But it isn't super intense. I think it could stand to be a little maltier, a little more toasted bread than burnt bread, but also more intensity.

T: The taste is a little more up my alley, but still too much burnt grain taste, I hate the metallic, astringent taste it puts in my mouth. As I drink more, some of that goes away, but I can still tell it's lingering in the background. I can see where the dirt name comes in though, this beer is earthy.

M: Mouthfeel is spot on for a porter I would say.

D: Just a good porter, good for sitting around with the friends. (838 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -29.3%

I am on a porter/stout kick tonight and this came to me recently in a CANTrade (but I CANnot remember from whom - identify yourself if you'd like to be mentioned).

From the CAN: "Handcrafted in the Black Hills"; "Peace, Love, Funk (funkpottery.com)".

I rarely describe a beer's color as "Black", since most are actually a deep brown, but this poured like motor oil! I got just over a finger of deep-tan head with decent retention off of my pour. Nose was much milder than I anticipated. It had a grassy hoppiness along with a light smoky chocolatiness. My mouth was watering in anticipation. Mouthfeel was a little thin, not quite watery, but not out of the distance, either. It had a strangely astringent bitterness on the tongue, a burnt quality as opposed to simple roastiness. As I CANtinued to drink it, I was reminded of medicine (and not in a good way, if that is even possible). Finish had a dry, slightly smoky quality but I still felt like I had been swallowing cough syrup or some medicinal liquid. I am going to have a high red rDev on this one and I feel badly for it, but I would not have this in my cooler and that is the yardstick for me on drinkability. (1,172 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by roasted malts. Taste is good but rather mild, lots of roasted malts, some hints of coffee, a very slight bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a good quality brew. (345 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Town Hall glass 2/27/11.

Pours a solid black with a huge beautiful light brown head. Lots of lacing even after a couple minutes.

Smell IMO gets better with its temp. I like the stoutish coco, malts, and coffee. Great in the smell category

Taste is weaker then the smell. I can still get the chocolate and coffee tastes but it is really subdued. Needs to be backed up a bit more by the chocolate and coffee tastes..

Mouthfeel is flat. I like the beer but the lack of staying power and weight for a stout really hurt this beer for me.

Drinkability is moderate. If they increase the chocolate and the mouth feel this would be an +B to -A beer. I can't recommend this as very drinkable at this point as the beer had significant flaws. (765 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

Served in a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. No freshness info. Thanks to mdwalsh for the can.

Appearance: Very dark brown with a light brown head. Foam fades fairly quickly.

Smell: Lighty burnt roasty aroma. Dark caramel, toffee, and a slight coffee note.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Strong roasted malt flavor with hints of coffee and dark chocolate. Finishes with a dry, sharp dark roasted malt character. Meduim bodied with good carbonation. Mouthfeel finishes with a slight astringency.

Drinkability: Overall a nice roasty porter. Could use a touch more maltiness to help balance the dark roasted grains. (602 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra from a77cj7. Thanks man!!!

Pitch black pour with muted brown edges. Foamy, khaki head rises, giving a mere 1/2 inch. Lacing is spotty, though it holds on fairly well. As it warms it sticks a bit better, though the head has dissolved well by this point.

Earthy, muted chocolate and a faint coffee edge to the nose.

Starts of with a roasted malt base, that is rich, though a bit one dimensional. Coffee/chocolate, nothing really stands out. Pick a flavor and it's there, though it doesn't come rushing out. Perhaps that is the overly balanced nature, though I was wanting something a bit more "umph". But, it is a very earthy, slightly roasted porter. Well balanced. A nice citrusy finish.

Clean, slightly watered down mouthfeel. ABV is unknown but slight, a very quaffable porter. Mild carbonation. Smooth finish. (840 characters)

Pour - very, very dark. Pitch black in color with a thin coffee-colored head that quickly fades into the mire leaving traces of lace and islands of foam.

Aroma - cocoa, dark coffee grounds, earthy with some hints of dark fruit. Lots of roasty aromas. I'm drawn to this like the sound of my coffeemaker in the morning.

Taste - big, roasty and malty with a nice bite. Lots of coffee and cocoa flavors and big on the roasted malt but at the back of the tongue there is a nice bitterness that rounds it all out and gives this beer a nice finish. There are some tastes of molasses and/or licorice that come out at times. I also love the bitter coffee flavor and hoppy citrusy combination this has. I wish I had more...

Overall - to me a good porter should be dark and malty but not too sweet with some bitterness or hoppiness. This one hits all the marks. Well done and definitely worthy of your attention so seek it out. If you like plenty of flavor in a beer and the abyss of a dark brew doesn't intimidate you than you'll certainly enjoy this one.

Would I buy more of it? - absolutely, this is a great porter. (1,115 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from can into pint glass

A- Very dark brown in color with heavy tan head

S- Roasted chocolate malt with hints of vanilla

T- Sweet vanilla front which gives way to roasted chocolate malt and coffee undertones

M- Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation

D- Pretty good porter overall. Worth a try (307 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

Received in trade from mnbearsfan. Thank you Matt!

A: pours deep and dark like a porter should. 2-3 finger head that is chocolate-brown. Nice. Lace clings nicely.

S: wonderful. Chocolate and coffee and malt. Love it. First 5.0 I've given in a review in this category.

T: good to very good. Having trouble separating the taste from the mouthfeel, because it is much more thin and watery that I expected. Very nice chocolate coffee taste at the front with a very watery, taste-free finish.

M: average. I expected a little more body for a porter - even an American Porter.

D: good. When it finishes like water it goes down easy. No off flavors or anything negative to interfere with putting this one away in short order.

Overall fine effort that I would drink again. (769 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap in a downtown Rapid City bar.

A: No head to speak of. Inky black with slight rouge around the edges.

S: Coffee grounds, unsweetened cocoa, spice cake?

T: Leather and orange-citrus. Candies fruit (fruit cake?) into deep cocoa and espresso.

M: Thin. Unremarkable.

D: I would recommend giving this a try to anyone out there. It is way better at the brewery itself but still a unique and all around good porter. (419 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a black color. 1/2 inch head of a tan color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of sweet malt, roasted malt, slight nut, hint of coffee, slight alcohol, and slight hops. Fits the style of an American Porter. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, slight roasted malt, hint of coffee, hops, hint of yeast, hint of caramel malt, and a hint of syrup. Overall, good appearance, body and blend, and decent aroma. (467 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last