Join our email list →

Arizona, United States | website

American Porter | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Nerudamann on 03-06-2011

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a single from TW Arrowhead May 1st for $2.29. Sell by 7/11/2015 stamped on bottom. Received at TW 4/30/2015.

Beer poured a big head that dissipated quickly.

Nose is nice and chocolaty as advertised!

Taste is cocoa powder overlaying the malt base. Hopping is just right as this is not overly sweet.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied but not overly smooth nor refreshing.

Overall the perfect dessert beer. We had a growler with friends that were over for dinner in May and all 4 agreed this paired well with the chocolate based dessert we had. Other than that it is one of those one and done beers - too much of a good thing is not a good thing!

3.04/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

Had on tap in Crown King, AZ. Chocolate is very noticeable, but the mouthfeel is very light, almost watery. Not a fan of thin porters. Malts and hops barely noticeable. It was almost like drinking cheap hot cocoa at room temperature.

Very easy drinking, which is an attribute I really don't look for in this style.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My wife's cousin brought this in from Prescott, AZ, where she lives to Texas. The growler certainly made the trip.

Smells like chocolate. Dark, roasty chocolate. The wife's cousin thought it was a Stout but the light color and clarity made me think it was a porter. Turns out I was right, as confirmed by BA.

Very sweet at the front with just enough bitterness at the back end. Slight creamy mouthfeel, but generally light and drinkable. It seems the chocolate is primarily in the nose. My taste buds mostly get roastiness and slight bitterness.

Good beer.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Prescott Brewing
Clear but very dark, with a durable tan head. The glass is left nicely coated after each tip.

Aroma: Chocolate! Lots of chocolate, with hints of dark fruits and dark baked bread.

Flavor: Semi-sweet chocolate with hints of hops and medium+ dark malts. Some smoke and dark malts come out in the finish and aftertaste, but chocolate still dominates. Fun and pleasant but a bit too sweet.

Feel: Medium body and medium carbonation; creamy smooth

O: great dessert beer and for chocolate lovers.

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%

Glad I had a chance to visit the Prescott Brewing Co.The beer looks pretty when poured, but the smell is so overpoweringly chocolate I wondered if I was drinking chocolate milk. Once I tried it, this porter tasted pretty darn good.and the mouthfeel was passable, a bit creamy and not too heavy. Its a bit to sweet for my porter taste, but I did get a 64oz growler and polished it off in two evenings. Yeah this is good for a porter, just SO much chocolate.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Sampled at a beer fest (I know I know, I shouldn't review beers at a beer fest, but I took steps to make sure I concentrated and kept my palate fresh) in 3oz size.

Look - Very dark brown, not black, with a light khaki-colored foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Indeed very chocolaty, almost like a chocolate-flavored cereal, maybe a hint at the type of grains used?

Taste and Mouthfeel - Still very chocolaty, and still more on the side of a chocolate-flavored cereal. Very unique taste. More malty in content. Texture is more on the watery side than expected.

Drinkability - Not complex, but unique and good-tasting.

Achocolypse from Prescott Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.