Hobgoblin - Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

HobgoblinHobgoblin

Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-15-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hobgoblin Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

1.75/5  rDev -53.5%

1.9/5  rDev -49.5%

It takes a couple of years for me to forget how much I dislike this beer. Yesterday evening while facing a less than inspiring choice in the supermarket I plumped for the 5 for 10 euro deal on hobgoblin. This morning I find myself with 4 beers that I don't want to drink.

Beer pours nicely into a Westvleteren taster glass.
Aroma nothing much going on, a bit of caramel, not a whole lot of hops, maybe a bit of pine.
Taste is a real let down, sharp like carbonated water/ I think this could be a personal thing against the hops themselves, would I be right in saying challenger is used here?

Anyways, I was unable to finish the bottle. Moved onto a far more drinkable London Pride

1.93/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: A nice rich mahogany color with a nice 2 finger head of off white foam.

S: Very, very faint biscuit.

T: Arghh. Not balanced at all for this style. First sensations are a bit of malty, bready sweetness that you would expect. The middle and finish is very different. Very, very bitter notes kick in along with a lemony tartness/sourness that is not pleasant to my tastes.

M: Very thin. Very highly carbonated.

D: Well....I could not finish this one. Draino! The balance was just not there and the high carbonation along with the bitter tartness was not something I felt obligated to continue with. I have plenty of other options in the fridge.

1.93/5  rDev -48.7%

Pours a dark brown color with a thick foamy yellowish white head and a little lacing. Smells of malts and more malts. Tastes of caramel, a little coffee, and a huge malt explosion on the palate. Mouthfeel is light and a little watery and drinkability is low, I couldn't finish it.

1.95/5  rDev -48.1%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into an Irish pub style (real) pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland, on September 30th. Pours a dark red with a nice bubble show into a relatively thick two finger head that retains well. An appealing colour.

Smell: A light estery aroma. Very fruity raspberry maybe? Too much malt. Not appealing but doesn't turn me away.

Taste: Overwhelmingly fruity, which is only pleasant on the aftertaste. I don't taste any of the chocolate or toffee described on the back of the bottle at all. Not much of a finish. Surprisingly one-note. Almost sour in its fruitiness. Not built well especially for an English Brown Ale. Is this categorized correctly?

Mouthfeel: Far too wet. Too thick and chewy. I'd like for the finish to dry off at least a little.

Drinkability: I wouldn't buy it again.

Brown ales scare me. Not because I don’t like them, but because they ALL taste the same. When I learned that this beer was an English brown ale, I crossed my fingers in hopes that the word English would make this beer taste a little different than the typical browns I drink here in the States.

It smells good, but the nose doesn’t last very long. It’s there… then gone again. The one thing I do like about this beer is the aftertaste. It’s very thick, dark… and reminds me of what my mouth feels like say, ten minutes after eating a piece of dark chocolate. The beer itself is smooth, with a hint of carbonation that I feel could easily be masked as it brings down the overall enjoyment of the brew.

The beer itself has a VERY low ABV. Apparently that helps them sell more of this… but I don’t see it. Regardless, the beer is decent at best. The bottle is cool, and after learning the story behind the hobgoblin I now know the meaning behind it. But that doesn’t have anything to do with the taste of the beer. I’ll drink it, but I wouldn’t order it. Not even sure I would buy this again, unless it was on clearance. If you like browns, find one that has a higher ABV. Thank me later!

2.03/5  rDev -46%

A: Nice dark red-amber color. Clear. No head at all, disappears instantly.

S: Nearly no smell to it. Smells like a raisin box.

T: Sweetness with a bitter end. Metallic notes which are unpleasant. Aftertaste is of cooked white rice.

M: Surprisingly carbonated for the lack of head.

O: Would not have again. Taste is unappealing. I do like the label artwork though.

2.1/5  rDev -44.1%

So I started walking down the long and winding road, my shadow was taller than my soul. I was tired from traveling all day and fighting dragons, ghouls, and all other sorts of monsters that show up in this middle earth. I began to look for a place to rest my body, sword arm and to grab a fine ale.

Lo, to my suprise I stumbled upon a tavern. The swinging sign which read, "The Aurochs' Homosexual Encounter," was partially coverd by the leaves of a deku tree. The place looked nice enough so I decided to grab a room and then a brew.

After washing the dragon blood from my sword blade and taking a nice bath I found myself in the common room. I bellied up to the bar and orderd a wing of a capon, I wasn't hungry because I had already eaten my Jolly Green Hero's Giant Food Ration for the day. I also ordered an ale. I asked the innkeep what ale he had, he replied that he had a fine craft brew entitled "Hobgoblin."

"By the prophecies of Nostradamus" I replied " I hath slain a hobgoblin today! I'll by a round for all my fellow warriors, warlocks, and wise men in the bar to celebrate my victory over such a whimpy beastling!"

As the innkeep poured I noticed that the reddish brown liquid gave off no scent. My warrior's sense told me something was amiss. It didn't feel like many tiny fireflies were flying around on my tounge as I drank it. This hobgoblin ale appered to be dead, it looked as if it hath sat in stonehenge for a least a fortnight uncorked. As I inspected the goblin piss further I noticed that it didn't even look like ale, It looked more like sarsaparilla. It's taste, as it were, was not like other fine ales I hath consumeth.

"It doth taste stale." I said to myself. "I shalt certainly not partaketh in such a vile ale ever again."

Later on in my travels I met up with one who called himself kinjushkeka, one of the rare and famed seers, wise men, and eunuchs from the mid east. When asked about the quality of this beer he replied only this, "Ale in clear bottle is no good idea. Is easliy transformed by great alchemist Sun/UV Ray to black rodent with white mohawk and terrible ass perfume."

2.1/5  rDev -44.1%

Brown bottle. Pours out to a very clear beautiful mahogany, forming a pretty sad head with ok retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is very mild to absent. Aroma is pretty typical for English Brown ale...amber malts without any raisins or prunes, dank garage, some perfumish hops, kinda like Drakkar Noir and TPN. Mouthfeel is very wet and pretty mild with an aftertaste of fusel alcohol. Taste like any other brown ale...not being a fan of many of them. There is a soapiness in the finish. Medium body.

Flat and boring. This beer sucks.

2.17/5  rDev -42.3%

Hole in the wall shop - $7.00 OR $8.00 4pk cans (Wychwood.com)

I poured The can into a glass in a perfect swoop. There was zero head, But a little lacing. Just the smallest amount on the edge of my glass. There was no bubbles. Completely still.

The smell was fairly sweet. Didnt really notice anything special really.

The color was a dark Red in the light. And almost as dark as a Draught from Guiness without the bright light present. Beautiful Presentation overall. Pretty Impressive.

Light on the palate. Intensely sweet. Wow. Really sweet.
This would also be my first ale. Sugary. Very sweet. Almost overbearing.

Oddly, its easy to drink. Goes down easy, and its not too bad. Just really sweet. But since its my first Ale I will be generous.

To put it simply. Dont buy unless you want to drink a sweet easy Ale. If your a Guiness guy like me, Maybe try it if you want somthing new. If not stray away. Chimay kinda?

(Not to mention it was the last 4 pack of cans there. That may have somthing to do with it?)

Clockwork

2.2/5  rDev -41.5%

11.2oz bottle to pint glass. No date or ABV indicated on the bottle. Sampled 10/29/11.

A: Pours with 2 fingers of a semi-dense foamy head with big bubbles on top. Light brown in color and long lasting. Persistent collar. Good lacing in straggley layers. The body is medium brown with amber tints and 70% opacity.

S: Malt bill puts out toasted aromas of cookie, caramel and restrained chocolate. Light toffee accents. The English Fuggles and Styrian Goldings add little to the aroma.

T: Light brown sugary sweetness mixed with toffee and butter. Light hop spiciness and traces of cardboard. Neutral yeast.

M: Light body with thin but creamy texture. Carbonation is on the softer side of average.

O: Drinks like a sub 5% beer. Decent and definitely not offensive, but not thought-provoking either.

2.23/5  rDev -40.7%

Asides from the cool, axe weilding label, the only thing going for this beer is the colour and the smell. I got a fresh bottle, so skunkiness was nonexistent as it was for some reviewers. Beautiful, dark amber glow I fell in love with. Aroma was sweet enough to be pleasant, but not so sweet that it smells like a calorie stuffed dessert. That was all I enjoyed from this beer. It tasted bland. I"d give it a lower taste score, but after a few sips, I guzzled it. Then guzzled, it tastes okay, but not enough to save it. Mouthfeel was sticky, chewy and dry. Drinkability? No way will I ever be drinking this beer again. Which sucks. I really wanted to like this beer. Don't know why, but really, I did. Oh well.

2.24/5  rDev -40.4%