WychCraft - Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2005

2.08/5  rDev -42.2%

Very thin, not really hoppy. this is expected from Britan. Much like St. Peter's. it's like a light ipa. 4.5 almost makes it sessionable. Not a gateway brew either. It has good quality, just not my cup of tea. I suppose as an american I prefer something much more hoppy. I'll taka a Burning River PA, or FFF's.

2.22/5  rDev -38.3%

500ml bottle 4,5% abv.
Served chilled in a pint glass.
Best Before 30 Sept 2012

The bottle says "thrice hopped" and since I really enjoy English hops that can only be a good thing!

Appearance: Great looking English pale ale, clear deep golden body topped by a large white head that lasts acceptable well and leaves patchy lace. It looks refreshing and crisp - just what I want on a hot summers day.

Smell: Oh shit, the first sniff yields stale malt and a touch skunk - this doesn't seem promising. A few more sniffs and I am convinced that this is not going to be an enjoyable beer. The majority of the nose is stale malt, honey and light floral hops are also noted.

Taste: The flavour follows on from the nose and is equally disappointing. Stale malt dominates and there is a lightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Average for the style, light body with pleasant carbonation.

Overall: A HUGE disappointment! I struggled to finish the bottle.

2.35/5  rDev -34.7%

A beer that screams 'meh' to me. Muted gold color with a seemingly decent head that quickly collapses down to a sporadically chunky coating that somehow manages to leave pretty decent lacing.

Smells... chaotic, but not powerful enough to achieve chaos. Smells mildly disorderly. I get lame hops and somehow alcohol considering the low abv. Doesn't smell good enough to dig further. Somewhat redeemed in taste. Peppery hops, fair malt balance. Something odd that fits between alcohol and medicinal. Feels decent enough, but nothing to write home about.

Enough drinkability to finish off a 500ml bottle. Wouldn't spend money on another bottle, although I have a strange feeling this would be pretty decent on tap. Not sure why.

2.43/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured from a 550ML bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale straw color. Lot of what I like to call 'floaties'. Almost looks like I had steeped a teabag in with it. Little head with hardly any lacing. After time seemed to get cloudy.

S: Very faint smell of lemon, malts, and barley.

T: Couldn't quite pin down the taste. It was a bit harsh to drink down.

M: Well carbonated, after a while, sort of got a bitter taste to it.

O: This beer was all over the place for me. Seemed like a weird mix of a Witbier/Hefeweizen/IPA. Won't be seeking this one out in the future.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My Dad bought this and brought it when he came to visit. And while I greatly appreciate anyone who brings me free beer, I can think of many, many beers I've had in my life that I would've appreciated more than this one. If you like boring beer with a number of to what my mind are unappealing characteristics, then this is your beer. But I prefer my beers that are advertised as having a "heady burst of fresh citrus aroma derived from three infusions of Styrian golding hops" to actually have some semblance of hop; this beer doesn't.

The stuff pours a hazy straw color with medium head formation. If I shut my eyes and think about hops hard enough as I smell this beer, then I can detect some hops. If I open my eyes or think about anything else, all I smell is some cereal and biscuit. Flavor is a little grainy, not overly offensive, squarely boring, and in no way hoppy. Mouthfeel is thin.

This is far from the worst beer I've ever had; I don't like "grainy" as a flavor descriptor, but this beer is inoffensive in most ways.

Not recommended.

2.51/5  rDev -30.3%

I really didn't enjoy this one. Diverging this much from the average review, I'll allow that my bottle could have just been bad somehow. These beers certainly don't seem to move very well, but I bought it at a busy Whole Foods, so you'd think it wouldn't just be too old. The beer looks fine. It's golden and clear with a light, fizzy head. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it doesn't look bad either. The smell is where things began to go wrong. It's relatively weak with a small amount of hops. A faint medicinal note is threatening in the background. This medicinal note hit even harder in the flavor. It's like someone dropped a shot of Robitussin in a weak pale ale. There is a small amount of good hop flavor, mostly citric and floral. Otherwise, I'm just getting a lot of cough medicine, which I really don't like here. I think that you need a higher abv to pull off medicinal in any halfway decent manner, so I'm not a fan. The feel and drinkability are good besides some light dry heaving from having to deal with sparkling cough medicine.

Now on to my useless design review portion. Frankly, the bottle design and name are a good effort but ultimately silly. The medicinal flavor almost fits with the theme. I guess witches might make a cough medicine potion on less dramatic days. I imagine Wychcraft more as a spiced beer, but I digress. Anyway, the design seems targeted to women, which, of course, isn't a flaw in and of itself but comes off a little cheesy here. I would place it on the Wiccan end of witchiness (probably why I think it's somehow effeminate, so maybe it's more just an feminine aesthetic rather than really marketed to women), which isn't an aesthetic that I particularly like. Also, it's an expensive beer and I wonder how much more it costs them to use custom bottles. I feel like I'm paying for the packaging, rather than the beer.

2.56/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours an amber orange, with a thin white head that disipates rather quickly. There's not much of an aroma at all. The taste is delicate (to be polite) or underwhelming, depending on your preferences. There's a slight presence of hops, but the taste has a slightly disconcerting "perfumey" quality that takes away from the ale flavor. Maybe I'm spoiled by IPAs, but this didn't seem to be that great. I won't remember it a week from now. It had a cool bottle, though.

2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color ale with a bigger then average foamy head with OK retention and some lacing. Aroma of light sweet malt base with unrefined grain and some light dry hops is not that impressive. Taste is also dominated by light sweet malt with unrefined grain and overcooked vegetables and some dry hops notes. Body is about average with good carbonation. The malt bill wasn't the most interesting and the hops profile not as deep as advertised.

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

This brew is a lot like a traditional English ESB brew. The malts are there and are nicely balanced with the hops. Even thought this beer is triple hopped I wasn't able to taste it. The color was on the amber side which was nice. I would like to revisit this brew sometime.

2.7/5  rDev -25%

Loved the name and the packaging so I thought I'd give it a try. Poured a hazy amber color that poured with a small off white head that broke apart really fast with no lace.

I detected malt in the nose first then a hint of hops. Tasted just ok with a hint of clove and bananna. Thinner than what I like and highly carbonated. It had a sour finish. It was just ok, but I am not planning on getting it again.

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

548th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
500 Ml

Thanks to my buddy Ryan for bday present

App-  a darker orange with a two finger head.  Slides down vs cling.

Smell-  Very adjunct in aroma.  A bit of corn, malt.  No real hop aroma.

Taste-  A bigger AAl but brewed for Euro tastes.  Not a skunky taste, more smooth but malty, adjunct

Mouth-  Medium bodied and medium carbonation.  A little bit of malty creamy flavors

Drink-  This was a tad too English AAl for me, couldve been a bit more tasty less malty.

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance: A dirty blonde body with steady carbonation that produced two fingers of head, although I did pour it fairly aggressively. Not a lot of lace to speak of. I detect a slight haze in the body.

Smell: Hoppy as citrus hops give it a bit of an orange peel sort of smell. There is some fairly raw malt in the background that doesn't strike me as very well roasted as it comes across as bready. I think I'm even catching a whiff of corn.

Taste: Starts with some weak generic malt with a touch of honey but then quickly turns to the hops to give it direction. As they start out earthy and turn to citrus and finishes off earthy with a bit of harsh grain and mineral taste. I'd give it a 2.75 if I could but it does enough.

Mouthfeel: Well the carbonation helps out the entire beer but the hop oil and mineral twang is lingering on this one as it nears the end. It transitions well enough, but the beer is what I would call a rough drinker.

Drinkability: Yeah, this beer seems to get worse and worse as it goes on. The hops need to be reigned in to win me over here as they are really turning me off. It's light enough I suppose, but a guzzler it certainly is not.

Final Thoughts: Wychwood prides themselves as brewer's of character. However if you took the hops out of this one, all character on this beer would be absent. It tastes like someone was trying to find a way to brew bulk pale ale, but instead of cheaping out on the hops, they cheaped out on the malt. All in all, better then average but I wouldn't seek it out again.

Edit: Was looking over my reviews and it seems I now can give this beer a 2.75.

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

a-Pours a nice golden clear with minimal head.

s-bready smells with a slight bitter edge.

t-fairly mild tasting. Hops are mostly in the background for sure. Some mild malt flavours.

m-Fairly light in keeping with the ABV

d-Pretty drinkable. I like the Wychwood beers but I would def pick up Fiddlers Elbow or Hobgoblin over this one.

2.85/5  rDev -20.8%

Looks like a straw lager. Very pale gold. Loads of visible carbonation. Medium white head settles quickly to a thin film. Spotty lacings.

I'm getting a helping of diacetyl on the nose. That said, there is also some vague citrus aroma, sweet orange, with just a bit of fruity malt in there.

Carbonation seems to get in the way a bit. It's almost club soda like up front, hard to get much taste off it. Once you get past that there's a noticeable lager character to the flavour, sort of grainy as opposed to the usual fruit and caramel. Hopping leaves a bit to be desired. Bittering, but I'm getting almost no citrus flavours off it. Moderate sulfur throughout. Aftertaste leaves a nice hint of lemon.

Mouthfeel threw things off for me. Carbonation seems out of whack.

Not my favourite from them.

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

500 ml bottle poured into my Hobgoblin tall pint glass. Tall pillowy head that leave a trace of spotty lacing. Color is a slightly hazy golden yellow with some orange highlights.
Smell initially had a sulfuric quality, which was a little off putting for me. As my nose adjusted, I was able to pick out more of the toasty malts and bitter hops. Taste is biscuity, slightly buttery, and a hops that is almost more sour than bitter.
Mouthfeel is smooth, mildly creamy carbonation.
I feel very "meh" about this beer, and will probably not try it again.

2.88/5  rDev -20%

A - Between yellow and golden body. Nice one and a half finger, soapy head in my Hobgoblin glass. Carbonation appears to be towards the heavier end of mild. Good lookin' EPA.

S - Biscuity malts complimented with much stronger hops. Grassy and citrusy hops seem appropriate.

T - Really mild. Dominated by what seems like noble hops giving it a sort of skunky taste. Really grainy/oat flavour and a bit of honey. Too sweet and hopped wrong for my tastebuds Finishes bitter but not too extreme.

M - Thin body. Light. Carbonation seems ok.

D - A good EPA but the hops seem inapropriate. ABV is nice for the style but I couldn't have more than one bottle b/c of the hop profile.

2.89/5  rDev -19.7%

This is a nice looking pale ale. It's actually pale! A clear, golden blond color with a rich foam head that leaves a small amount of lacing behind.

The smell is of mown grass, grain husk and moderate diacetyl and DMS. I haven't found any of the fruit that others have mentioned.

The taste is hoppier than anticipated but it's a bit of an odd beer. It's neither malty enough nor fruity enough and the mix just comes across as a grassy, hoppy, diactyl filled mixture to my taste buds. Not a big fan.

Mouthfeel is good though.. light and crisp with excellent carbonation. Drinkability, given the poor nose and taste, is hard to rate highly.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

500ml bottle into DFH Signature Glass.
Part of the LCBO's fall release, another one they could have lived without IMO...

Thrice Hopped for flavor??? I thought that was a Miller thing...
Anyway all jokes aside here we go!

A- Slight hazy blonde beer, quarter inch white head that is gone in seconds, Carbonation is there but not eye catching. Lacing is sheeting around glass.

S- I can really smell the triple hopping! No not really, smells of faint grassy tones, subtle biscuity tones, faint yeast. The nose is almost a pilsner over a pale ale.

T- Every Wychwood beer I've had has a bit of a metallic taste to it. I know it's not skunked, or bad bottling. There is something in there that gives it that taste and I can't figure it out. Herbal tones to the point where I feel I'm drinking ground grass and flower pedals from my backyard. Other than that it's quite bland, not much going on and the thrice hopped is nowhere to be found.

M- Medium body, the little bit of carbonation is giving it a creamy feel to it.

D- It's very drinkable in the sense that it's quite bland. Wouldn't want another though.

2.99/5  rDev -16.9%

A - very clear like a highly clarified lager

S- sweet whitebread and adjunt malts

T - spicy peppered roasted corn. Aftertaste of corn syrup and hay

M - loose sugary malty not good or bad

D - ok. But the corn flavors make me think it's more like an American adjunct lager. If you watch the average ratings of wychwood it seems like the are going farther and farther down. This is the 2nd of their beers I've had in a few years and the second time I've been disappointed. Has fame hurt them or are there cost cuts involved here.

Lcbo Fall 2010 release.

This one pours a honey gold with some light haze. Atop this sits a sudsy off white head of decent retention.

Light malt aromas are the field for numerous subtle hints of spice, pepper and cinnamon come to mind though extremely faint. Minimal lemony hoppiness with floral hints.

Pale malt provides a mild honey sweetness with a pine nuttiness cloaked therein. Some hopping provides a light resinous zing in the finish which grows in bitterness providing a fairly clean end.
High livens a medium light body.

An average beer of no great offence.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with thin white foam head. Earthy hops dominate aroma. Not that bitter for a thrice-hopped IPA. Kind of bland and boring. Watered down with very little malt balance. I don't expect this to be as hoppy as an American IPA but since it is "thrice hopped" I thought that it would have a little more bitterness and character.

3.02/5  rDev -16.1%

Orange to gold coloured beer with very little head. The nose reminds me of white grape juice with a hint of honey suggesting it should be fairly sweet.

Hops dominate this rather dry brew which reminds me of white wine without its pear juice quality, albeit much better because this is beer after all! Whatever malt is present here is very much in the background, creating a very slight biscuity flavour, but the dominating yet not hugely bold hops render this beer rather herbal with a slight citric hint. I quite like this as a one off but the hops aren't big enough to wow me (as in say a top quality pilsner) and there isn't a lot else going on: not bad but definitely not a session beer for me.

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

500ml bottle into a Flying Dog pint glass

Poured a nice golden color with hints of a red and orange. The head was decent sized and puffy, looked very nice. Good lacing on the head as well.

Smells quite floral with malty overtones, wasn't as aromatic as other brews.

I was expecting the taste to be hop filled since "thrice hopped" is printed right on the bottle. It has a very mild flavor overall. With a nice balance of hops & malts. Very gentle hop bite at the end, but still lackluster for this English Pale Ale.

It feels ok on the palate, light bodied with good carbonation.

It's good for a session brew, so it is pretty good in the drinkability department. But I was honestly disappointed with this Wychwood offering. The other brews for Wychwood are far better than this offering.

3.12/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a foggy yellow blond. Looks a bit like a wheat beer. Sweet smells - banana, English malt. Some hops. Great aromas.

Light banana flavor, bit fruity. Bitter aftertaste that leaves a sourness at the back of my tongue. Not as much flavor as the aromas would lead you to think. Kind of bland. Bottle says thrice hopped for flavor, but I'm not feeling that.

That being said, this would be great on a hot summer day, and I'm quite enjoying it with my sweet potato curry

3.12/5  rDev -13.3%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. ABV marked as 4.5%.

A - Poured a golden yellow with a thin head. Minimal lacing.

S - Grains, citrus, grass.

T - Some sweetness, plenty of citrus, hint of banana, bitter finish has some slight metallic notes.

M - Medium body, average carbonation, tangy, sharp finish.

O - Doesn't come across as a Pale Ale. There's Lager vibe to this one. Pretty average beer overall.

WychCraft from Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd