1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

WychCraft - Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

WychCraftWychCraft

good

Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2005)
1.25/5  rDev -65.2%

Jamtek, Aug 06, 2014

Gtotango, Nov 11, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

Very thin, not really hoppy. this is expected from Britan. Much like St. Peter's. it's like a light ipa. 4.5 almost makes it sessionable. Not a gateway brew either. It has good quality, just not my cup of tea. I suppose as an american I prefer something much more hoppy. I'll taka a Burning River PA, or FFF's.

TechMyst, Nov 21, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -38.7%

500ml bottle 4,5% abv.
Served chilled in a pint glass.
Best Before 30 Sept 2012

The bottle says "thrice hopped" and since I really enjoy English hops that can only be a good thing!

Appearance: Great looking English pale ale, clear deep golden body topped by a large white head that lasts acceptable well and leaves patchy lace. It looks refreshing and crisp - just what I want on a hot summers day.

Smell: Oh shit, the first sniff yields stale malt and a touch skunk - this doesn't seem promising. A few more sniffs and I am convinced that this is not going to be an enjoyable beer. The majority of the nose is stale malt, honey and light floral hops are also noted.

Taste: The flavour follows on from the nose and is equally disappointing. Stale malt dominates and there is a lightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Average for the style, light body with pleasant carbonation.

Overall: A HUGE disappointment! I struggled to finish the bottle.

Thehuntmaster, Dec 13, 2011

fionn13, Aug 24, 2012

petluo, Sep 04, 2012

Wordslinger, May 06, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -33.7%

A beer that screams 'meh' to me. Muted gold color with a seemingly decent head that quickly collapses down to a sporadically chunky coating that somehow manages to leave pretty decent lacing.

Smells... chaotic, but not powerful enough to achieve chaos. Smells mildly disorderly. I get lame hops and somehow alcohol considering the low abv. Doesn't smell good enough to dig further. Somewhat redeemed in taste. Peppery hops, fair malt balance. Something odd that fits between alcohol and medicinal. Feels decent enough, but nothing to write home about.

Enough drinkability to finish off a 500ml bottle. Wouldn't spend money on another bottle, although I have a strange feeling this would be pretty decent on tap. Not sure why.

deadliest, Sep 05, 2010
2.43/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a 550ML bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale straw color. Lot of what I like to call 'floaties'. Almost looks like I had steeped a teabag in with it. Little head with hardly any lacing. After time seemed to get cloudy.

S: Very faint smell of lemon, malts, and barley.

T: Couldn't quite pin down the taste. It was a bit harsh to drink down.

M: Well carbonated, after a while, sort of got a bitter taste to it.

O: This beer was all over the place for me. Seemed like a weird mix of a Witbier/Hefeweizen/IPA. Won't be seeking this one out in the future.

mercyfulfate, Feb 27, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

I really didn't enjoy this one. Diverging this much from the average review, I'll allow that my bottle could have just been bad somehow. These beers certainly don't seem to move very well, but I bought it at a busy Whole Foods, so you'd think it wouldn't just be too old. The beer looks fine. It's golden and clear with a light, fizzy head. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it doesn't look bad either. The smell is where things began to go wrong. It's relatively weak with a small amount of hops. A faint medicinal note is threatening in the background. This medicinal note hit even harder in the flavor. It's like someone dropped a shot of Robitussin in a weak pale ale. There is a small amount of good hop flavor, mostly citric and floral. Otherwise, I'm just getting a lot of cough medicine, which I really don't like here. I think that you need a higher abv to pull off medicinal in any halfway decent manner, so I'm not a fan. The feel and drinkability are good besides some light dry heaving from having to deal with sparkling cough medicine.

Now on to my useless design review portion. Frankly, the bottle design and name are a good effort but ultimately silly. The medicinal flavor almost fits with the theme. I guess witches might make a cough medicine potion on less dramatic days. I imagine Wychcraft more as a spiced beer, but I digress. Anyway, the design seems targeted to women, which, of course, isn't a flaw in and of itself but comes off a little cheesy here. I would place it on the Wiccan end of witchiness (probably why I think it's somehow effeminate, so maybe it's more just an feminine aesthetic rather than really marketed to women), which isn't an aesthetic that I particularly like. Also, it's an expensive beer and I wonder how much more it costs them to use custom bottles. I feel like I'm paying for the packaging, rather than the beer.

popery, Nov 07, 2008

Keegan, Oct 17, 2013

Cookeeman, Oct 27, 2012

dertyd, Jun 01, 2013

Myst, Jan 03, 2012

kvnstfrd, May 23, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My Dad bought this and brought it when he came to visit. And while I greatly appreciate anyone who brings me free beer, I can think of many, many beers I've had in my life that I would've appreciated more than this one. If you like boring beer with a number of to what my mind are unappealing characteristics, then this is your beer. But I prefer my beers that are advertised as having a "heady burst of fresh citrus aroma derived from three infusions of Styrian golding hops" to actually have some semblance of hop; this beer doesn't.

The stuff pours a hazy straw color with medium head formation. If I shut my eyes and think about hops hard enough as I smell this beer, then I can detect some hops. If I open my eyes or think about anything else, all I smell is some cereal and biscuit. Flavor is a little grainy, not overly offensive, squarely boring, and in no way hoppy. Mouthfeel is thin.

This is far from the worst beer I've ever had; I don't like "grainy" as a flavor descriptor, but this beer is inoffensive in most ways.

Not recommended.

BeerBelcher, Jun 13, 2009

dhall18, Feb 11, 2012

kelvarnsen, Nov 30, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours an amber orange, with a thin white head that disipates rather quickly. There's not much of an aroma at all. The taste is delicate (to be polite) or underwhelming, depending on your preferences. There's a slight presence of hops, but the taste has a slightly disconcerting "perfumey" quality that takes away from the ale flavor. Maybe I'm spoiled by IPAs, but this didn't seem to be that great. I won't remember it a week from now. It had a cool bottle, though.

WMBierguy, Mar 04, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color ale with a bigger then average foamy head with OK retention and some lacing. Aroma of light sweet malt base with unrefined grain and some light dry hops is not that impressive. Taste is also dominated by light sweet malt with unrefined grain and overcooked vegetables and some dry hops notes. Body is about average with good carbonation. The malt bill wasn't the most interesting and the hops profile not as deep as advertised.

Phyl21ca, Nov 22, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

This brew is a lot like a traditional English ESB brew. The malts are there and are nicely balanced with the hops. Even thought this beer is triple hopped I wasn't able to taste it. The color was on the amber side which was nice. I would like to revisit this brew sometime.

Knapp85, Mar 27, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

Loved the name and the packaging so I thought I'd give it a try. Poured a hazy amber color that poured with a small off white head that broke apart really fast with no lace.

I detected malt in the nose first then a hint of hops. Tasted just ok with a hint of clove and bananna. Thinner than what I like and highly carbonated. It had a sour finish. It was just ok, but I am not planning on getting it again.

ScarletLady, Aug 07, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

flyingmick, Oct 17, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

548th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
500 Ml

Thanks to my buddy Ryan for bday present

App-  a darker orange with a two finger head.  Slides down vs cling.

Smell-  Very adjunct in aroma.  A bit of corn, malt.  No real hop aroma.

Taste-  A bigger AAl but brewed for Euro tastes.  Not a skunky taste, more smooth but malty, adjunct

Mouth-  Medium bodied and medium carbonation.  A little bit of malty creamy flavors

Drink-  This was a tad too English AAl for me, couldve been a bit more tasty less malty.

FosterJM, Jun 06, 2011
2.79/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance: A dirty blonde body with steady carbonation that produced two fingers of head, although I did pour it fairly aggressively. Not a lot of lace to speak of. I detect a slight haze in the body.

Smell: Hoppy as citrus hops give it a bit of an orange peel sort of smell. There is some fairly raw malt in the background that doesn't strike me as very well roasted as it comes across as bready. I think I'm even catching a whiff of corn.

Taste: Starts with some weak generic malt with a touch of honey but then quickly turns to the hops to give it direction. As they start out earthy and turn to citrus and finishes off earthy with a bit of harsh grain and mineral taste. I'd give it a 2.75 if I could but it does enough.

Mouthfeel: Well the carbonation helps out the entire beer but the hop oil and mineral twang is lingering on this one as it nears the end. It transitions well enough, but the beer is what I would call a rough drinker.

Drinkability: Yeah, this beer seems to get worse and worse as it goes on. The hops need to be reigned in to win me over here as they are really turning me off. It's light enough I suppose, but a guzzler it certainly is not.

Final Thoughts: Wychwood prides themselves as brewer's of character. However if you took the hops out of this one, all character on this beer would be absent. It tastes like someone was trying to find a way to brew bulk pale ale, but instead of cheaping out on the hops, they cheaped out on the malt. All in all, better then average but I wouldn't seek it out again.

Edit: Was looking over my reviews and it seems I now can give this beer a 2.75.

TheHammer, Feb 26, 2012