WychCraft - Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 365 | Reviews: 223
3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

My pour produced two fingers' worth of a yellowish-white head that had good retention. Nose was mildly citrusy with an underlying yeasty pungency. Color was a deep gold with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium with a combination with a mild hops bite combined with a mild banana-esterish flavor on the tongue. The finish was slightly biscuity, along with a hoppy bitterness. I would have to say that while this was an interesting beer, I just felt as though there were too many flavors involved with none getting to really shine. I have had better from Wychwood, so I am giving this a low drinkability rating.

4.41/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured into a pint glass at 40 degrees.

Appearance: A very healthy 1 finger white head that is foamy and frothy with great retention. The color of the beer is amber with orange hues. There is effervescence in the beer and the clarity of the beer is hazy. The head is leaving lacing on the glass.

Nose: A moderate yeasty malt caramel aroma. There is a mild to moderate fruity esters some floral and a little wood.

Taste: Fruity ester, pine, and floral are on the medium side. The malt is slightly caramel, and yeasty.

Overall: The mouth feel is a low carbonation, smooth, and creamy. The body of the beer medium and the finish is medium. This is a wonderful example of an English Pale Ale. Wychcraft has very nice flavors and is easy to drink. I really like this beer.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wychwood Wychcraft pours a spritzy peach colored brew under a disk of sticky foam. The nose is funky English yeast with floral and butterscotch notes. The flavor is mild light malts, the butterscotch notes again, and a bit of citrus and herbal hops off the back, notes of meadow. Mouthfeel starts round-ish, goes crisp, then dry. It's my understanding that the English Blonde style is sort of a flavor ghetto, kind of like our American Wheat or our Macro Lagers. This one seems a cut above, that it's got a little extra going for it, still pretty light, but with a a little something extra. A solid session brew, and like all Wychwoods pints, a sexy presentation.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

" Thrice hopped & golden ", does miller lite know they're doing this???

Pours a very hazy amber with some dark floaties, plus a pinky of pearl colored head. This clears a bit over time. Some lacing & no head retention

S: Fruits of the orchard, plus some leafy hops

T: Orchard fruits to include persimmons, pears & peaches, plus some herbal hop bitterness. Woody & herbal hops intertwine with pears, figs & apples as this warms, Finishes a touch dry, fruitty with some oaky dryness

MF: Medium bodied, light carbonation & good balance

Drinks easy, I will see if I can find some of this fresh next year (pre-Halloween) & see if the hops can fight their way into the flavor picture

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the pint-sized bottle shown into a Stone Pint glass.

This beer looks really good on the pour... a nice cloudy tan color that throws up two fingers of extremely sticky off-white head that provides some beautiful lacing as you drink.

The nose of this beer is interesting, you can't smell a whole lot, but it's almost as if it's muted. There is a little fruitiness present, but it's mostly faint in nature.

This beer is not overpowering in any way, which helps its case to be a great session beer. It tastes earthy, maybe a little spicy with a mild, fruity and spicy English hop character that gives the beer a nice flavor without destroying your palate, begging you to have another pint.

The mouthfeel is nice as well, smooth and creamy with a nice amount of carbonation to make the beer dance around in your mouth as you enjoy it.

I really did like this beer, it is the definition of sessionable at 4.5% abv and with a solid flavor that won't fill you up. This was my first English Pale Ale experience, and I feel as if I chose a good one.

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

Big thanks to BA yelterdow for the hookup. Served from a unqiue Wychwood 500ml bottle in my SABL glass at just below cellar temperature.

A - Golden yellow in color with orange highlights. Creamy, frothy 1-inch head with decent retention and modest lacing.

S - Lovely, honey-buttered biscuity English malts under a blanket of crispy Styrian Goldings hops. I wish I knew that from the smell alone, but I had to read the label for the exact hop variety. Inviting.

T - Lightly sweet with honeyed tones and a bright citrusy-floral hop bouquet. Refreshing middle as the malts yield to the fothcoming hops. Dries out only slightly just before the swallow. Aftertaste is bitter, but certainly not offputting. Excellent balance.

M - The perfect puff of volume in the mouth turns this modestly viscous beer into a velvet throw for the tongue. Swallow is slick and satisfying. Fantastic.

D - Low ABV and high taste. This is one seriously excellent and supremely drinkable beer. I could easily put away 2L of this beer without blinking. Its great balance has officially turned me way on to English Pale Ales.

4.14/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 500ml bottle into pint glass. No date makings that I could discern.

A: Glowing rich amber with nice frothy head and lacing. A very nice looking brew.

S: Has that distinctive English pale ale nose. Almost musty tones with some graininess mixed in. As it warmed some light fruit tones become apparent as well. The smell is the only thing that I did not find to be outstanding in this brew.

T & M: Medium bodied and perfectly balanced. It is almost refreshing to have an EPA actually made in England by a fine brewery. Finish is quite crisp. I pick up some apple notes as well.

D: Damn, I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer as I bought on a whim. I will definitely be picking up again if I can find it in the Metroplex.

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

Loved the name and the packaging so I thought I'd give it a try. Poured a hazy amber color that poured with a small off white head that broke apart really fast with no lace.

I detected malt in the nose first then a hint of hops. Tasted just ok with a hint of clove and bananna. Thinner than what I like and highly carbonated. It had a sour finish. It was just ok, but I am not planning on getting it again.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

The aroma is not overpowering as some American Pale Ales are, the aroma is more even. In this beer you get some of the citrus aroma as well as a floral hop aroma. It is almost like orange blossoms. There is a very unique malt aroma in that it is like a sweet toffee and bready combination, sort of like the crust of the bread. There is also a masked fruitiness that lies under the main aromas, most commonly this is from an English variety of ale yeast. In this case the level is low.
The beer pours a nice orange and goldish color with just a little bit of haze. There was a rocky head that dissipated fairly fast as well as some particulates floating in the beer. I was not aware that this was a bottle conditioned beer, but it may also be some hop sediment if the beer was dry hopped.
The flavor of this beer is quite nice. There is a soft caramel malt flavor as well as some malty sweetness and crusty break like notes, but overall fairly balanced. The hop flavor is like bitter orange, and has a moderate amount of bite to it. The bitterness is not bracing or overpowering, but it is noticeable. There is also a generic fruity quality to it as well (By generic I mean it tastes like a combination of fruits and not one specific fruit in general). This particular bottle of beer seems to be a bit oxidized, and this is common with imported beers (oxidized is not skunky, skunkiness is caused by the beer coming in excessive contact with light which causes a chemical reaction with the hops in the beer). The oxidation in this beer is a paper-like feeling and flavor on the tongue. This beer is not excessively oxidized, but just slightly and I thought it was worth mentioning.
Mouthfeel is in the lower end of the medium range and has no noticeable astringency. It has a nice feel to it.
Overall, I really like this beer and could drink it all night long. The bitterness and sweetness balance out very nice and the flavors work well together. The use of the citrusy hops is uncommon in an English style Pale Ale, but the meld between the malt and hops are very much signature English Pale Ale.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

500 ml bottle.

you gotta love the embossed Witches on broomsticks all around the bottle!

a hazed-out amber with light blonde hues. clumpy and rocky formed head, creamy color, slow dissipation and mildly sticky lace. a very nice look.

Herbal and earthy hops, wheat and white pepper upfront. A faint but sweet light malt. The Styrian golding hops are very aromatic and inviting. I love the simple, hearty and grainy aroma.

A light golden malt is crisp with wheat and dried herbs, along with an earthy and simple hop flavor that really shines through. Crisp and clean, mildly sweet malt makes for great balance and has very good complexity from the hearty, earthy, herbal and dry Golding hops. Tons of complexity from very simple ingredients gets bonus points from me.

I must be under a spell, 'cause i love this brew.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured a 500ml into a pint sized glass.

A: This beer glows a nice gold color, with a light head.

S: first thing I notice when i smell this beer is the pale hops, then the spices and finally the citrus.

T: Like the smell of this beer the first thing I taste is the pale hops, then it finishes with a nice refreshing citrus, honey, and caramel note.

M: This beer wasn't that smooth, but it was nicely carbonated and crisp.

D: This is a good beer, that for some reason always leaves me wanting more. Its a good relaxing beer.

This beer is a bit pricey, but well worth it if your looking for a great blonde ale that is well balanced. If you don't like blonde ales, don't bother purchasing/drinking it, because you probably won't like it and you'll regret spending the money on it.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My Dad bought this and brought it when he came to visit. And while I greatly appreciate anyone who brings me free beer, I can think of many, many beers I've had in my life that I would've appreciated more than this one. If you like boring beer with a number of to what my mind are unappealing characteristics, then this is your beer. But I prefer my beers that are advertised as having a "heady burst of fresh citrus aroma derived from three infusions of Styrian golding hops" to actually have some semblance of hop; this beer doesn't.

The stuff pours a hazy straw color with medium head formation. If I shut my eyes and think about hops hard enough as I smell this beer, then I can detect some hops. If I open my eyes or think about anything else, all I smell is some cereal and biscuit. Flavor is a little grainy, not overly offensive, squarely boring, and in no way hoppy. Mouthfeel is thin.

This is far from the worst beer I've ever had; I don't like "grainy" as a flavor descriptor, but this beer is inoffensive in most ways.

Not recommended.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%

Nice amber/brass pour with brilliant clarity. Head doesn't last but leaves alright lacing.
Interestingly enough, the first aroma that hit me was ripe banana... English hops dominate though with their earthy, grassy and slightly spicy notes. Underneath is some sweet toffee malts. Quite basic, but hits the mark well.
Sweet malty flavour and resiny hops, before a reasonably long-lived hoppy bitter bite.
Mouthfeel is a bit watery.
Overall quite a well made English pale, but needs more malt and body to support the hoppy bitterness.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Local stop had this on sale, not the first time I've had it either.

Pours a nice golden yellow, frothy white head, good retention and lacing.

Smell is of light malt and spice.

Taste starts with spice, malt is strong as well, finishes with a tad of bitter hops. Mild fruity notes.

Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth , easy to drink.

Drinkability is solid. This isn't a beer I'd drink all the time but its a solid beer, and worth your time.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Clear to mildly turbid yellow/gold color. Head is abundant, slightly off-white. It sticks nicely to the glass upon dissipation, leaving good lacing.

S - Malty and mild hop aroma, spicy and citrus. Fruity esters present as well.

T - Moderate bitterness, bready and fruity with citrusy hops.

M - Smooth, moderate body, lingering bitterenss.

D - Drinkable.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

500mL bottle with best before on back label poured into imperial pint.

Pours a clear, light copper with a small chunky white head that dissipates to a thin ring. Some lacing is left on the glass.

Lots of sweet buttery notes and some floral hops on the nose.

Soft, mellow and buttery sweetness from the malts is balanced out by a light citrus hop flavour. Light body, low carbonation and a fairly clean finish. Sweet at first, but dry on the finish.

This is a very light, clean and refreshing beer. Goes down very easily. There are other brews that have the same lightness but pack more of a flavour punch.

3.87/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to my girlfriend for picking this one up on a whim!

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip

Slightly hazy copper color with a good head about 2 fingers and nice sticky lace all the way down the glass

Very sweet and floral grassy hops dominate the nose with an almost honey like alchol notes

This part caught me off guard its a very dry beer near like a wine, sweetness never really came thru from the nose but very floral and dry grassy hops with a nice bitter but also dry finish

Feel is good medium body, pretty straightforward brew not real complex

Not something I'll never drink again but nothing I'm gonna go out and have to have this second, probably could only drink 1 a night just not enough flavor

4.14/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 mL poured into a glass.

So far, this is by far my favorite/most interesting English pale ale I've tried.

Pours with a nice and thick off-white head that dissipates within a few minutes leaving some minor lacing. The color underneath is a golden-brown/light amber, very nice!

I wasn't getting much in the smells department.

Flavor is where this beer shines. Flavors include honey (although not an ingredient), citrus and a nice bitter aftertaste that complements the sweetness. The drink mellows and gets even more smooth as it sits (I drink slowly).

Great beer. This is the 2nd one I've tried from this brewery now and they're 2 for 2.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

Thrice hopped and golden.

A: Poured a deep golden-orange color, clear, with no head or lacing.

S: citrus and oranges, and a subtle floral hopping.

T: The initial flavor was a dry british malting with some zesty citrus hopping. The palate was bready with a nice sweet spicy hop tang on the finish and fade. Ends dry.

M: is medium body with a nice fresh graininess.

D: A good drinkability factor, nice grain palate balanced nicely with the aggressive hopping. Good example by style.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale golden-orange with a pretty sizable head (a couple fingers thick). Hazy, with plenty of carbonation apparent in the body. Thick head doesn't really last, but the escaping carbonation seems to keep a nice layer of lace on top for the life of the pint.

Smell is pretty hoppy - moderate citrus and a mild earthiness. A bread/biscuit-like malt also quite apparent in the aroma. Nothing too complex, just the classic smell of an English pale (though a bit more hops).

Taste is somewhat mild, but hoppy. It tastes pretty much exactly like it smells. Moderate citrus with earthy notes, backing bready malt. Not as balanced as I'd like, but certainly not bad.

Rather light mouthfeel, and slightly rough.

Overall, an easy-drinking and refreshing brew. It's not going to overwhelm anyone with flavor, but it was not meant to. Pretty solid English pale.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with thin white foam head. Earthy hops dominate aroma. Not that bitter for a thrice-hopped IPA. Kind of bland and boring. Watered down with very little malt balance. I don't expect this to be as hoppy as an American IPA but since it is "thrice hopped" I thought that it would have a little more bitterness and character.

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%

Aroma: bitter, semi-sweet hops. Slightly sour in the nose.

Pours: cloudy light amber/orange with nice full fluffy off-white head. Looks really nice!

Flavor: begins bitter and bites the tip of your tongue. But, there is also a subtle hint of honey sweetness at the beginning. Middle is mildly bitter and somewhat salty with a hint of orange citrus (really subtle). The finish is more bitterness, but more sharp as it hits the back of the throat. Nice dry finish. There is an unwelcome "metallic" flavor throughout, yuck!

Mouthfeel: medium to medium/light body.

Drinkability: medium/low to low. This beer would be much more drinkable, and thus enjoyable, without the metallic flavor. Even with it, the dry salty finish begs you to take another sip.

Overall: just ok. Not something I would buy again. There are much better english pale's out there, don't waste your time or money on this one.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A "thrice hopped" English Pale, huh? I'm intrigued.

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle. The label's brewer's note describes WychCraft as "red-hued." I don't really see that. I'd go with pale-yellow to gold. Couple of fingers of white, bubbly head that displayed decent lacing.

A fruity aroma. Slightly citrus, from the hops, I would imagine. Fruity malt as well. I think my bottle might have become a tad oxidized in its journey from the UK.

Following a low-level hoppy pine taste with hints of grapefruit and citrus, the underlying malt flavors start to stand out more on their own. They don't really match up to what I got in the nose, consisting of grains and biscuit as opposed to fruits. A light dusting of hop resins seems to cover the mouth as the beer goes down, giving it a nicely dry but quenching finish that is marked with very slight bittering.

Fairly light in body, well carbonated. Drinkable.

A solid brew and a nice English Pale, though I probably won't be seeking it out in the future. I expected the hops to have slightly more presence. The citrus characteristics mentioned in the brewer's note are certainly there, but "a counterpoise of bitterness" seems - to me - to be something of an overstatement.

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

This is a very good, clean, tasty, lightly bitter English ale. The first time I had it, some time ago, I was not that impressed, but when I tried it again much later, I discovered that it actually has a lot of flavour, nice levels of sweetness and bitterness, and light but interesting complexity.

Faintly hazy orange, it has a big off-white head slowly shrinking to a thin lasting had and leaves some pretty good lace.

The aroma is bready malty with lemon, sweet grapes, grass, and some other fruitiness, hard to define.

The taste is light, zesty, very fruity with apricots, lemon, bready-grapey sweetnessn and a dry, leafy finish with some citrus. It is lightly sweet, with the light tartness and slightly stronger bitterness balancing, the bitterness slightly taking over in the finish. It's highly refreshing and very tasty, a good alternative to something like a kolsch.

2.51/5  rDev -30.1%

I really didn't enjoy this one. Diverging this much from the average review, I'll allow that my bottle could have just been bad somehow. These beers certainly don't seem to move very well, but I bought it at a busy Whole Foods, so you'd think it wouldn't just be too old. The beer looks fine. It's golden and clear with a light, fizzy head. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it doesn't look bad either. The smell is where things began to go wrong. It's relatively weak with a small amount of hops. A faint medicinal note is threatening in the background. This medicinal note hit even harder in the flavor. It's like someone dropped a shot of Robitussin in a weak pale ale. There is a small amount of good hop flavor, mostly citric and floral. Otherwise, I'm just getting a lot of cough medicine, which I really don't like here. I think that you need a higher abv to pull off medicinal in any halfway decent manner, so I'm not a fan. The feel and drinkability are good besides some light dry heaving from having to deal with sparkling cough medicine.

Now on to my useless design review portion. Frankly, the bottle design and name are a good effort but ultimately silly. The medicinal flavor almost fits with the theme. I guess witches might make a cough medicine potion on less dramatic days. I imagine Wychcraft more as a spiced beer, but I digress. Anyway, the design seems targeted to women, which, of course, isn't a flaw in and of itself but comes off a little cheesy here. I would place it on the Wiccan end of witchiness (probably why I think it's somehow effeminate, so maybe it's more just an feminine aesthetic rather than really marketed to women), which isn't an aesthetic that I particularly like. Also, it's an expensive beer and I wonder how much more it costs them to use custom bottles. I feel like I'm paying for the packaging, rather than the beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
WychCraft from Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd