Scarecrow Ale - Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

Scarecrow AleScarecrow Ale

Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-20-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Scarecrow Ale Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

500 ml fatty poured into a pint nonic glass yields a golden amber body capped with two fingers of white foam that retains well and leaves drippy rings of lacing at the sip lines.

Smell is malty and spicy with a grassy, fine herbal hop note.

Taste is toasty dry malt, nice and crisp, with a lingering mineral character and grassy hops. The finish is pretty dry, with a lingering, faintly tannic, earthy note.

Superb drinkability and a medium-light body make this beer very refreshing.

cvstrickland, Jul 09, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Not a bad beer, not great either. The beer pours a slightly cloudy golden amber with a white creamy head, some lacing with this beer, decent retention as well. The smell is musty grain, pretty traditional malts. The taste is a bit sweetish, some sweet buiscuity grains, there are some stale floral notes to the beer, a bit of a bitterish hop bite in the finish. The beer is crisp, light to medium bodied, some carbonation. There is a sharpness to the beer in the finish that I'm not fond of and some off sour notes in there as well. There is some husky grain flavors to the beer but it lacks the creaminess to be a really good English Pale Ale. The beer isn't terribly interesting, but it's not that bad either.

albern, May 23, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +2.3%

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper-orange color. Minimal head with thin off-white lacing.

Smell: Aroma of apples and a bit of spices and yeast. Smells more like hard cider than it does an ale.

Taste: Somewhat strange aroma of apples and grains, and a not-too-pleasant bitterness towards the finish and in the aftertaste. Very little complexity.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied and smooth with light/moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Alcohol-wise it's fine, but the taste is not very good for drinkability.

My least favorite Wychwood beer. Something seems really off with the taste. Will pass on this next time, in favor of better Wychwood ales.

mithrascruor, May 12, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +3.9%

I haven't had a beer from Wychwood that was really worth buying more of, not that I don't like them I just find them mediocre but drinkable. Scarecrow pours with a fluffy white head, pretty nice lacing and retention. Has a golden color.

Smells of pale malts, faint skunk, veggies and grass.

Tastes exactly like it smells (grass, pale malts). Another middle of the pack beer.

irishkyle21, May 09, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -18%

Got this in a 500ml bottle from Whole Foods, Buckhead, Atlanta. Poured into a mug.

A: Poured a gold, pilsner like appearance. I got little head off this one (hehe), didn't really last long at all. No lacing.

S: Not much at all here. Maybe a little bit of hops and light fruits.

T: Lame. Claims to be a pale ale, but barely any taste of hops. Very watery, no bitterness, a little bit of fruit on the after taste.

M: Very watery, with medium carbonation.

D: I guess I would take this over a bud light, but it had that macro taste to me. Nothing special. I would drink it, but I wouldn't pay for it.

everetends, May 02, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -16.4%

500 ml brown bottle that has a label of a scarecrow with an owl on his shoulders. This scarecrow is standing in the middle of a hop and wheat field. I had no idead the both of them can be grown together. The back label has a small paragraph about the beer and how it's made organically.

I decided to pour this beer into a Heavy Seas Euro style pint glass. What came out of the bottle was a beer that was a lightly hazy golden orange with a thin white bubbly head of foam. This head of foam quickly dissipated into a handful of white rings along the edge. It didn't bother to leave any lace. The aroma was light with lightly toasted malts, tea leaves, a small splash of juicy fruits, and the slightest touch of sweet English toffee at the end. For some stuipd reason, the main taste is this beer was carbonation. Most of the time the taste was mostly carbonation with toasted organic barley, caramel, tea leaves, and a pinch of very mild not too hoppy fruity hops. The mouthfeel was too light with a tiny aftertaste of juicy fruits, a trace of yeast, and some lightly burnt barley. I guess that since all the ingredients in this beer are organic, that means it's better for you than your average beer. It's good that it's organic, but the bad thing is that there wasn't much of anything to this beer. I would pass on this one again.

AltBock, Apr 21, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Pours golden wheat, with half in of off-white head, with onl decent retention.

S - Smells clean and crisp, with citrus, wheat, hops, a sweet floral aroma. Very pleasant.

T - Bright and lively, a bit of the sweet side for the style. Minimal bitterness with the wheat and floral being the difinitive flavors.

M - Good carbonation gives if a crisp feel, quite light but has a very clean finish.

D - Easy to drink but there are better EPA out there.

trackstar1043, Apr 07, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -17%

The beer poured a golden copper color with bubbly white head and really nice lacing. The aroma was of wet dog. Weird. The last beer I had smelled similar. The taste was the same as the aroma and was wet dog. Not good. The mouthfeel was a medium body with medium carbonation. Overall I did not like this beer. I will need to give it a try again in the fall when I can get a fresh bottle.

Beerbuddha, Mar 29, 2008
1.35/5  rDev -56.6%

Had a slight hop smell to it, but nothing overwhelming
Did not have much taste to the beer at all
Tasted like water with a little beer flavor added to it
Only continued to drink because i paid over $5 for a single beer
Would not recommend very little taste
Def NOT a good Golden Pale Ale

Horsley54, Mar 14, 2008
1.68/5  rDev -46%

A: Pours a slightly dark amber with very little head.

S: All I got off of this beer was a slight smell of hops. The faintest pale ale smell.

T: I expected a hoppy pale ale taste from the smell, but it wasn't delivered at all. This beer hardly has any taste except for a slight bitterness of hops.

M: Watery and carbonated are two words that quickly come to mind.

D: I didn't like this beer and it was honestly difficult to keep drinking it, except for the fact that I paid for it.

windigo32, Feb 10, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -30.2%

a: minimal white head that quickly fades on a straw colored body; macro-lager look all the way

s: not too much of anything maybe a little bit of hops

t: some lighter malts and w/ just a tiny hint of ephemeral hop taste w/ overtones of anise

m: actually pretty creamy with light carb

d: not very different from a macro lager and a lot more expensive so i wouldn't go out of my way or drink it again

hoegaardenhero, Feb 09, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

I bought this one becaus it was organic and a golden pale ale. I am a big fan of english pale ales and american pale ales and this was neither.

A - Looked like it came out of a can. Nothing special at all.

S - Could smell the english hops on the front and the malts on the back.

T - This was what changed my mind, it was hoppy but lost the taste almost immediately and the after taste was very commercial.

M - Nothing amazing.

D - Not a lot. I for one can't afford or want to drink this beer. It was $3.99 for a twelve ounce bottle. Nothing special.

slvrmon82, Jan 27, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +13.5%

Picked this one up at a BevMo! in the half liter brown bottle and drank it from a weissbier-style glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice amber hue with a cloudy-nature to it, not unlike a Hefe. It retains about a half inch of head for a short while and has prominent lacing after it dissipates.

Smell: Mostly sweet smell with subtle scents of something earthy. The earthy part smells like a mix of a little hop and toffee. I would say the smell (or mostly lack thereof) is the only real disappointment of this ale.

Taste: The malt pretty much covers up any other immediate taste, which is then followed with the aftertaste of some hops and that little bit of earthiness. Could have used a bit more hops but still very pleasant on the taste buds!

Mouth: Pretty good all in all. Nice carbonation and very smooth. I found it to be quite refreshing compared to some other Pale Ales.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable Ale. Light enough on the stomach to be a good session choice and is good nearly all around, and the organic bit helps a little too. Now if they only had this in a six pack...

steelscarab, Jan 23, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +21.5%

Brilliantly clear, dark gold with a medium white head that lingers well. Aroma is butterscotch backed by esters and earthy UK hops. Some hints of fusel. Esters and butterscotch follow through in the flavor, which is backed by a pretty decent malt and crystal character. Tail is a bit dry, along with more butterscotch and some nice crystal malt. Definitely much better since they went to brown bottles!

beerking1, Jan 20, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -30.2%

Kind of the same thing as the Dark English Ale (I tried them back to back). It drops off your palate pretty fast and you are left with virtually nothing after a very short flow of taste. Even the fact that it is a USDA Organic brew doesn't help at all with it.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +37.6%

I continue to be pleased by offerings from the Wychwood company... My third beer that I've sampled from this establishment, and I was very impressed by this one... From a 16.9 oz bottle, poured a golden amber color that resembles a hefe-weizen... A nice looking brew with a sharp, tangy, and citrusy aroma to match... taste was great, similar to a hefe or a witbier, with its distinct floral and fruity notes, without the yeast... Bottle says this is an organic ale, and the exceptional flavor can clearly live up to that claim... A great beer that is easily drinkable and goes down very smooth... not at all bitter... one I would enjoy any time... too bad its not available in six-packs... certainly recommended...

dsa7783, Dec 04, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

I'm a big fan of Wychwood's brews, and after searching for a long time I finally ran into a place that carries most of their stuff. I picked up one of their 1 pint brown bottles on a whim. I could frankly care less about it being organic, I didn't notice any difference.

Color is a nice, milky smooth gold. Head was fairly thin, less than an inch, but it lasted for the most part.

Smell was interesting, fairly earthy, bit of malt, maybe a hint of something sweet.

Taste was alright, fairly sweet and hoppy, I like the initial taste the most, however the after taste was a bit hard, and I tasted nothing but malt and alcohol.

The mouthfeel was decent, it was less carbonated that I prefer and not as bubbly as, say, something from Unibroue. It was a tad bit grainy but nothing that made me want to stop drinking it.

Overall drinkablity for me is low. I have another bottle of this that I'll drink, but I don't think I'll buy one again. I felt slightly sick after drinking it and although it could have been from something else, I can't shake the feeling that the Scarecrow here was responsible. Try it, you might like it, but probably not.

LumpyGuitar, Dec 01, 2007

Pours a pale yellow color with a thin, one-finger head. Aroma is rich and smooth, malty like a typical version of this style. Taste is sort of buttery upfront with a smooth maltiness in the back and alcoholic harshness showing through. Not quite as good as the other offerings from Wychwood. Not enough pale ale goodness here.

\rant

What the UK breweries should do is focus on one GOOD version a style and stick to it. Making several different beers of the same style, just for the hell of it, just won't cut it. I can't think of many American breweries that make two versions of the same style at once, marketed at once (and if they do, they're usually distinctive and successful enough to do so).

/end rant

Brad007, Nov 24, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance- A good brass amber body with a cream white head and lace.

Smell- Sweet but yet hoppy and somewhat floral.

Taste- Metallic and bitter sweet and the same time bland.

Mouthfeel. Watery.

Drinkability- I love the organic thing but there are better beers for the money.

MTNboy, Nov 06, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Light caramel colour with a fluffy off-white head and a mild haze.

Smell: Herbal hops with a hint of citrus, mild malt character.

Taste: Sweet grainy malt with a bold hop presence overlaid on it. Some hints of biscuit, and slightly metallic in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, peppy carbonation.

Drinkability: Decent pale ale. Refreshing and crisp.

flowerysong, Oct 26, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Poured a caramel color with off white head that leaves lacing on the glass

S - All malt for the smell

T - Malt up front finishes with a little hops

M - Medium bodied pretty smooth

D - I think this beer had a pretty good taste and is pretty smooth so I think that it could be a session beer worth a try

armock, Oct 23, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

To note, not wychwood's best product, but a very drinkable ale.

Eye: Caramel to honey color with a thick dense head.

Nose: Faint smell of toffy and tea. An English product for sure.

Mouth: Malt overpowers the hops, would like it to be a little more hoppier, classic English aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Average, nothing stands out.

Drinkability: Gulpable

Cleb, Oct 13, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +6.1%

500 ml bottle. As always, Wychwood's presentation is impressive, let's see how the contents fare.

A - Deep hazy golden hue somewhat cloudy. Reminds me of a harvest, or perhaps just autumn in general. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Not much here, some herbal undertones, but nothing that stands out.

T - Little bit of malt, little bit of citrus, some hops, but not enough to my taste. This was my first organic brew, so I wasn't sure what to expect, it's not bad at all.

M - Medium bodied with a slightly grainy feel and dry finish.

D - I could have a few, but I would probably get bored after three or four. Overall nothing spectacular, but certainly a decent brew.

PhageLab, Oct 06, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -9%

Just like the Hobgoblin ale, I bought this on a whim to try something different and because I liked the label art. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as it's brew-brother. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a fan of pale ales, although I'll try them in the hopes I'll find one I like, but even when compared to others, this one was not very good. Overall it was average, but it was much to bitter with a very odd after taste.

JamesS, Sep 06, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +47.3%

Nice body, and flavor more characteristic of an ESB then a pale. The head did fade fast. Gorgeous amber color that gets me excited about the flavor, and subtle hop nose. Nice stoney finish with pleasant aftertaste. Overall an easy beer to drink in large volumes.

templar316, Aug 15, 2007