Scarecrow Ale - Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

Scarecrow AleScarecrow Ale

Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-20-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Scarecrow Ale Alström Bros
oracle

Indiana

2.35/5  rDev -24.4%

Bought this simply because I like the graphics on the bottle. Knew I was getting into trouble with clear glass, but bought it anyway. Silly me.

Beer poured light yellow, almost the color of a hefe-wiezen. thin head that left some lacing until it died away.

Smell hit like a ton of bricks the minute the top was off. Skunked. Bad.

I took a few sips just to have an idea of what it tasted like. simple, slightly malty. Not much to get exited about. Might have been much more drinkable in a brown bottle.

10-07-2004 02:19:24 | More by oracle
feloniousmonk

2.28/5  rDev -26.7%

Okay. I like the shape of the bottle, very classy, but it's clear glass, not a great sign, and the beer's color doesn't appeal much, either. Well, let's crack it open anyway...
Appearance: clear and golden, nice enough, bubbly white head. Eh.
Aroma: doesn't hold promise, even from a foot away, but, here goes, bringing it to the nose...very odd. Vegetal, cooked cabbage, bit skunky. Not my cuppa.
Taste? Must I ...? Nothing on the palate, completely lackluster, just slides past the lips and down the throat without any pleasure left behing. A total dud! Nothing better than moist paper, lemon rind, cereal husks...English pale ale, eh? Certainly a paragon of pale, if it can attest to no other accomplishment.
$3.33 down the drain...skip this one

09-19-2004 09:49:04 | More by feloniousmonk
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.93/5  rDev -5.8%

I've had this beer at a tasting, fresh out of sealed boxes, never exposed to light and that was a different experience than what I have in front of me. The first thing to realize about this beer is that it comes in a clear bottle, so anything on the shelf for any amount of time is going to be tarnished with the exposure to light. After taking off the cap, the first scent I get is the typical skunky/Grolschy smell I associate with a beer gone bad. The beer is a pretty light golden yellow color without much of a head even after trying to make it happen. The nose, besides the skunk, has some sweet malts hiding along with a metallic smell. Not what I want in a beer of any type. The flavor is MUCH better than the smell, though there is a metallic tinge that detracts. There is a nice sweet start and hops that dance on my tonge after swallowing the beer. Not a bad offering. The beer is a little thin for my liking. The drinkability is not as high as I would expect from a nice light beer. I don't know if I can find this on tap or fresh out of a box again, but that is the only way I would want to re-sample.

08-18-2004 01:01:27 | More by kmpitz2
moulefrite

2.53/5  rDev -18.6%

This baby looks better than it tastes...but not by much! It pours a hazy golden/orange with just a trace of head and some lace, though marginal. Aromas hint of sticky sweet hop, and mild malt, with a kiss of skunk for good measure. In the mouth the beer provides the taster more sticky sweet hop flavors and an underlying flavor of fennel/licorice. The beer finishes in an uninspiring cloying fashion. I won't bother finishing this one, I'll save the belly space.

08-03-2004 01:20:47 | More by moulefrite
blitheringidiot

3.78/5  rDev +21.5%

Hazey orange wheaty cloudy pour that looked like cider, except filtered, and topped off with a halo ring.

Scents of straw and peaches. This is an organic ale, afterall. Powerful skunky barnyard scents pervade the nose.

Tastes are total apple juice and lager. Ephemeral aftertaste with horse blanket. Average carbonation. This organic offering is a little too unique to be a regular offering.

Last swigs: Glad I tied this lager & apple juice.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

06-11-2004 05:12:38 | More by blitheringidiot
shapudding

1.3/5  rDev -58.2%

Poured out with no head, teensy bit of large bubbles on the side only. A little cloudy, the color of apple juice. Smells intensely like styrian hops to speak nicely, smells skunky to not speak nicely. Taste of very earthy tones. The styrian hop flavor is just too intense in this brew -I am just not a fan of them so maybe I just can't get over that...?

06-03-2004 03:04:57 | More by shapudding
Zorro

2.23/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours a clear pale yellow-Orange brew.

Smell is sweet with malt and a wine like fruit and flowers smell.

Taste is malt with an almost salty flavor to it. Mild bitterness and flower flavors. Blah I don't really like the flavor of this.

Mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkable but not really good to drink. I can't recommend that you buy this stuff.

04-11-2004 05:48:17 | More by Zorro
Suds

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

A little brown glass would go a long way.
Pours a pale peach-to-orange color with a shallow white head. Aroma is slightly grainy with a slight hop background. There may be more there, but it’s hidden behind the catty flaw (I don’t know why they chose clear glass).
Soft, slightly malty, and generally clean. Ends with a pleasing English hop bitterness.
The beer is also light and watery, hollow and uninspiring.
On the whole, this was a disappointment.

03-20-2004 01:52:51 | More by Suds
ark57

3.33/5  rDev +7.1%

It is a yellow golden color with not much of a head. It is hust average to look at and it doesn ot get any better from there. The aroma is not strong, but it sort of reminds me of lemon iced tea. The maltiness is not extensive, which is good because it is no too hoppy. It is well balanced, but lacks depth and complexity. It is refreshing, but there are many better English Pale Ales available.

03-11-2004 14:04:40 | More by ark57
genaro

2.63/5  rDev -15.4%

Scarecrow Ale was a light gold color. The aroma was grainy and unremarkable. The taste was undistinguished, mostly grainy with some sweetness and a bit of citrus. Carbonation was good, but the overall mouth feel was not. The finish was slightly dry. To me this beer seemed to be more like a pilsner than a golden ale. Best points were the use of organically grown hops and malt and the label.

02-03-2004 21:27:40 | More by genaro
jlervine

Georgia

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a golden yellow with a thin white head and sinks back within a minute or so to form a lazy lace on the top of the beer. Smell is earth robust hops, bit of pale malts hiding back ther as well. Bitter astringency dominates the taste. The hops are predominant, but it just doesn't quite taste right. It gets more drinkable after every sip, though, and sweet honey flavors step through once your taste buds adjust. By the third sip, you think it isn't so bad, just a bit thin in the mouthfeel. Would not make a bad session beer, but would not make a good one, either.

01-17-2004 04:23:23 | More by jlervine
Ieatlambfries

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

All I can say is that the bottle and label are certainly the high points of this ale. The appearance wasn't bad, golden, thick head, big bubbles that disappeared rather quickly. Lacing was scant and also disappeared. The smell was hops and skunk, with the skunk being more prevalent. Not to my liking at all. The taste was a bit hoppy, grains and watery/alcolhol. But I still couldn't get over the skunk aroma enough to try to enjoy it. Mouthfeel was thin and watery also. Drinkability was hampered by the bad smell and so so taste. I don't know if the skunked aroma was inherent to the product or if I happened to get a bad bottle. If it was the latter than I would say this beer wasn't horrible, just nothing great, barely a step above domestic macros. If however it wasn't a bad bottle and that skunkiness is normal, then it's a whole different ball game.

01-05-2004 01:14:26 | More by Ieatlambfries
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

2.9/5  rDev -6.8%

Clear yellow-amber is the color. A definite “yellow-amber”, more to the amber than yellow.

As the beer cascaded into my glass a foamy head welled up. It made its appearance, took a bow, and receded to the depths of the unknown. Some slight graffiti lacing here and there upon the walls of my tasting glass. A few larger bubble atolls floating aimlessly upon the beer’s surface, but other than that, not a peep, nor an appearance.

The aroma from my glass was scant, that of mild clean hops, maybe a tad of yeast. A sprinkle of malt but it’s very very faint. The entire nose is very faint, or perhaps it made a feint right by my nose.

The flavor makes an initial stand, then upon striking the rigors of my palate, quickly decides, as it’s foamy forebear head cousin, to recede to the dark annals of the flavor stage.

There’s an ale like signature, and I can’t think of another beer style the initial flavor might fit. There’s a fizzy hops bitterness that lingers for a while then dissipates.

The mouthfeel is thin, almost like one of the big American Lagers leaving me yearning for something more substantial.

The beer finishes with a watery profile- although it leaves behind the stripes of an ale, but small, light stripes they are.

Drinkability is a mere “OK”. It seems like I could quaff a few pints of this libation, but I can’t help but think “why bother”—there are many others that better this beer in the flavor thrills, and it’s not that heavy on the alcohol anyway...

Ho-Hum. Yawn.

12-28-2003 03:01:22 | More by gueuzeonhigh
beergeek279

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

Served in the 500 mL bottle. The color is golden, with clumping head. The smell is horrible cardboard. The taste is terribly oxidized, with very little maltiness coming through in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkability-wise, it'll be plenty challenge enough to have this one!

I'm quite disappointed with this one, since I'd loved RobBeer's Hobgoblin shirt ("What's the matter, lagerboy? Afraid you might taste something?"), and that's why I purchased this one, but I just can't recommend it. Not good, and one I won't have again.

11-29-2003 01:56:21 | More by beergeek279
PatandDavid

2.53/5  rDev -18.6%

I had high hopes for this one. Right out of the fridge, it was not too bad. As it warmed, however, things started to go down hill. I have half a pint glass left, and I'm not sure I can finish drinking it,

Here goes: Slightly dark golden color, no head, no lace. Smell is muddied grain, and maybe eud de soap? Taste...it wasn't too bad out of the fridge, but now it's a bit brassy (literally), and not that great. Mouthfeel is thin.

Sorry, but looks are deceiving. You'll buy the beer because it looks cool, but after you start drinking it, you'll realise it's not that good. pat

11-21-2003 01:30:03 | More by PatandDavid
clvand0

Kentucky

2.4/5  rDev -22.8%

This one pours a yellow color and has a decent sized white head and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is not too exciting - just malts and some yeast. The flavor was slightly skunky - possibly due to the clear bottle. Mostly the flavor was comprised of pale malts and a tiny bit of hops, but not much else. I didn't care much for this one, but I might try it again if I can find it on tap somewhere.

11-17-2003 13:41:24 | More by clvand0
Winter

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev +2.3%

The 500 ml clear glass bottle. Black and gold Wychwood Brewery logo on a green band along the neck. Nice looking auturm bottle label illustration depicts a scarecrow in the field with his arms outstretched. He has an owl on one arm and a fox in the golden field behind him. The words 'Scarecrow' are on a black banner on the top of the oval label, while 'Ale' sits on a black banner on the bottom in front of a bunch of hops. The Soil Association Organic Standard approval is stamped on both the neck and front label. Cool looking overall, but the clear glass bottle is a bad idea.

Immediately upon opening the bottle, I detected a strong 'skunked' aroma. This organic ale pours a clear golden with a white head. A pungent hoppy and a feint caramel aroma are noticed behind the obvious skunky scent. The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. The flavor has some sweetness from the malt. Hop bitterness emerges midway through and lingers into the finish. Tastes pretty average, nothing special.

The fact that this is an organic ale (and definitely light-stuck) does nothing for me. It's worth a try I suppose, but something I would not purchase regularly.

11-01-2003 19:02:23 | More by Winter
RoyalT

1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance – Murky orange in color with a decent head.

Smell – How did I end up with skunk in an English Ale? I don’t know, but this one smells horrible. There’s a dull malt aroma with a slight hop balance, but mostly skunk to this one.

Taste – This tastes worse than it smells. The skunk is in high profile, drowning out the smallish malt flavor.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated, medium in the body, and a tad refreshing.

Sinkability – This British skunkorama is dedicated to the porcelain Gods.

10-31-2003 02:42:34 | More by RoyalT
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Pours a slightly cloudy medium golden hue with a very light crown and limited glass ring and lace.
The carbonation is very light and the density is medium/full.
The nose is of the skunk initially but then quiets.
The taste has a hoppy start but quickly replaced by a grainy sweetness that still allows a slight bitterness to remain in the background.
Not impressive.

10-11-2003 01:38:32 | More by Shiloh
BeerResearcher

This organic ale pours a shiny gold. A nice white head of various sized bubbles lasts a fairly long time and leaves a thin-rimmed coating and a good amount of lace. The aroma is mostly a doughy malt with a fair amount of hops. Being that this ale is bottled in clear glass, I expect it would have become skunky had I stored it a bit longer. A lightly sweet malt blends well with tea-like and citrusy hops. A faint taste of pears can be detected. I like this beer, but because there's no freshness date, I'll only buy it from reputable packies.

08-21-2003 02:30:56 | More by BeerResearcher
WesWes

3.08/5  rDev -1%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head. The aroma is simple; pale malts and yeast. The taste is much the same; very plain, no malt character, bitter, and quite dry. The mouthfeel sucks. It's a light bodied beer, but the carbonation is way too low. This was a hard drink. One and done for me.

08-10-2003 03:13:38 | More by WesWes
Darkale

3.8/5  rDev +22.2%

Interesting. Upon taking a sniff, I had an immediate memory of drinking Miller as a teen ager. Not exactly a stellar recommendation, I don't think, for the beer's aroma! But, the taste and mouthfeel are much better.

Great, crisp mouthfeel. Round, slightly sour, slightly bitter, but it ends up clean tasting in the mouth. Slightly buttery taste in the mouth, just a bit slick.

I could have a dozen of these. Eminently drinkable.

07-23-2003 13:28:45 | More by Darkale
TripelJ

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Presentation: 500ml Clear bottle with scarecrow on label

This beer is average all the way down the line, but on the whole, enjoyable. Poured a golden caramel with medium white head. Smells faintly sweet and hoppiness--no skunk here. Taste begins malty sweet and fades to a nice mellow hoppy bitterness. Not much else here just sweet to bitter, malty to hoppy, average scores reflect an overall lack of character and depth.

I'll also note, and I could be wrong, but I think they just changed the bottling of these beers to a smoother more rounded bottle, but its still clear--maybe they didn't get the memo. This beer would get higher ratings if people were able to sample fresher bottles.

07-13-2003 07:23:47 | More by TripelJ
oberon

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

Its to bad I had to give this a bad rating,I love to get the hard to find English ales.Anyways this poured a sort of gold color with a light head that did leave some lacing,the aroma was a little skunky (damn clear bottles!) and musty.The taste was a little skunky as well but I did pick up some slight maltiness to it.I would like to try this on tap or in its home country Iam sure it would be better.

07-06-2003 14:51:05 | More by oberon
Reverand

After reading some of the other reviews I was quite hesitant to try this beer. But since it is from Wychwood I had to give it a whirl.
Scarecrow poured to a rather nice pale yellow but no head to be seen or any belgian lace. Nice clarity though. I must have gotton a good batch because I did not detect a hint of skunkiness. Overall a rather average ale with a cool label. Worth a try if you find.

06-27-2003 15:00:55 | More by Reverand